Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yardbomb posted:

Also China's Ancient Apparition looks a lot more pissed off :v:

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno, it is pretty annoying at times, but if any one spell on Invoker needs a nerf, I think it (always has been) is Cold Snap. Definition of bullshit, at times.

edit: Ever Hookshot an Invoker with Clockwork, pop all your abilities, then die in your own cogs when Invoker Cold Snaps you and summons a Forged Spirit?

Many of Invoker's spells are ridiculous horseshit under ideal conditions, but how likely you are to get ideal conditions varies. Cold Snap is pretty easy to get high effectiveness out of it and is one of the best stuns in the game except for how the small gaps between stuns lets you BKB.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

For some reason I don't see the best dota streamer, weedman, in the op's stream section.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
If you're going to buy Battlefury on Bounty Hunter, the least you could loving do is finish it before 20 minutes. Preferably sooner with all the Track gold you're getting from killing people and not statically farming in lane.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yardbomb posted:

I know right? China's Lifestealer looks cool as hell too.

Also China's Ancient Apparition looks a lot more pissed off :v:

"Stone Cold Steve Apparition"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Meat Recital posted:

If you're going to buy Battlefury on Bounty Hunter, the least you could loving do is finish it before 20 minutes. Preferably sooner with all the Track gold you're getting from killing people and not statically farming in lane.

? Bounty Hunter is carry. You need farm. Track is for vision, noob? Like Slardar ult duh. (literal argument heard multiple times in- game)

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

? Bounty Hunter is carry. You need farm. Track is for vision, noob? Like Slardar ult duh. (literal argument heard multiple times in- game)

Why else would he have a crit???

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I built a Divine Rapier on Bounty once in desperation to try and carry a game where I was the only one with any farm. It didn't work, they still won.

Also, I guess Steam is having problems or they're testing out the new system or something because I just had a game with mass disconnects on both teams and it invalidated the game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Capco posted:

It's one of the best spells in the game at the moment and it has a huge aoe, short explosion delay, restores Invoker's mana pool, does pure damage, and also got a mana drain buff that can drain the entire mana pool of roughly half the heroes in the game (probably more but I'm being conservative) before they hit level 10. Probably just a whinepost but I feel that along with the rest of q/w Invoker's kit the spell is way too good for the amount of effort it takes to use.

I actually didn't know it restored Invoker's mana too, huh.

That's like how apparently if you don't use the Aegis it'll heal you like a regen rune.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

TOOT BOOT posted:

I built a Divine Rapier on Bounty once in desperation to try and carry a game where I was the only one with any farm. It didn't work, they still won.

Also, I guess Steam is having problems or they're testing out the new system or something because I just had a game with mass disconnects on both teams and it invalidated the game.

I built a sheep on BH once and it was amazing

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Old UI was ugly but I did like how it wasn't so browser-based.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
To all the dudes having lag problems, there's command console codes that work in CSS/HL2: DM/CS:GO/Garry's Mod/TF2, etc etc. It's a thing that's across all source games.

Make an autoexec.cfg file in your Dota 2 test cfg folder, put this in there:

rate "80000"
cl_cmdrate "66"
cl_updaterate "66"

Should significantly help with lag. I have an awful internet connection and I used to use these commands for CSS back in the day, and they work just as well in DOTA

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Silentman0 posted:

How the gently caress did that happen? I only ever post Cyborgmatt blog posts and mods.

Derp. I made a joke/goal to a friend two threads ago I would be the #1 poster. Forgot about it 100 pages in and just remembered a few days ago.

Also, I forgot to mention this to my Dota friends on steam but I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks so don't for me till then.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I don't why ice ghost had to have a frown put on him. Do they have to scribble faces onto pictures of glaciers over there?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Pepsi-Tan posted:

To all the dudes having lag problems, there's command console codes that work in CSS/HL2: DM/CS:GO/Garry's Mod/TF2, etc etc. It's a thing that's across all source games.

Make an autoexec.cfg file in your Dota 2 test cfg folder, put this in there:

rate "80000"
cl_cmdrate "66"
cl_updaterate "66"

Should significantly help with lag. I have an awful internet connection and I used to use these commands for CSS back in the day, and they work just as well in DOTA

Maybe tell everyone what that actually does, before they gently caress up all of their settings not knowing what they're doing?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Why did BH drop out of the meta so much?7 aI used to play him a gently caress ton and now I never do and I can't figure out why everyone else all stopped playing BH as well.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

Maybe tell everyone what that actually does, before they gently caress up all of their settings not knowing what they're doing?

What's it actually do? Hell if I know. All I know is that it was basically essential for me to play Counterstrike Source, and is now essential for me to play Dota 2. Without it I'll get random ridiculous 1000ms 1% packet loss spikes.

edit:
I went ahead and looked it up because you brought up a drat good point, and after using it all these years I honestly did not ever know how it worked, only that it did.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Source_rates

Basically it increased the rate of the packets sent to the Dota 2 servers, and the rate in which you receive them. Also, the number of packets you request from the Dota 2 servers.

Nwabudike Morgan fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 14, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chinese AA is adorable.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pepsi-Tan posted:

What's it actually do? Hell if I know. All I know is that it was basically essential for me to play Counterstrike Source, and is now essential for me to play Dota 2. Without it I'll get random ridiculous 1000ms 1% packet loss spikes.

edit:
I went ahead and looked it up because you brought up a drat good point, and after using it all these years I honestly did not ever know how it worked, only that it did.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Source_rates

Basically it increased the rate of the packets sent to the Dota 2 servers, and the rate in which you receive them. Also, the number of packets you request from the Dota 2 servers.

Rate is set to 80000 by default (according to an old post by Zoid on dota2dev). Tick may be capped at 40 in dota2 according to a similar post, not 100% sure.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Endorph posted:

What hero would Stone Cold Steve Austin play?

Brewmaster

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

TheQat posted:

Rate is set to 80000 by default (according to an old post by Zoid on dota2dev). Tick may be capped at 40 in dota2 according to a similar post, not 100% sure.

I'm not familiar with the default rate settings, but I did notice a significant difference after applying these settings. Although that may not be because the rate itself was changed, but the update rate and the other commands.
It was just something I did in CSS and it dawned on me to use it for Dota 2.

Oh, and maybe placebo effect, who knows.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Enigma89 posted:

Why did BH drop out of the meta so much?7 aI used to play him a gently caress ton and now I never do and I can't figure out why everyone else all stopped playing BH as well.

Well for one thing it's because dual lanes have become a bit more popular and he needs solo experience. Also, you can just push down his towers basically for free since he really cant do much to stop it, especially with Lycan being picked up more as a safe farmer.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I'm not familiar with the default rate settings, but I did notice a significant difference after applying these settings. Although that may not be because the rate itself was changed, but the update rate and the other commands.
It was just something I did in CSS and it dawned on me to use it for Dota 2.

Oh, and maybe placebo effect, who knows.

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just thought you'd like to know. Based on my brief unscientific testing just now, you can set updaterate to 30 max but cmdrate to 40 max. (I set them both to 40 in autoexec; when in dota2 afterward, if I type cl_updaterate in the console it shows me 30 as what I guess is the existing value, and 40 for cmdrate).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

what a clean toilet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Capco posted:

Well for one thing it's because dual lanes have become a bit more popular and he needs solo experience. Also, you can just push down his towers basically for free since he really cant do much to stop it, especially with Lycan being picked up more as a safe farmer.

That and the armor loss being removed from Track hurt some.

(Though that was way back in 6.77)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I don't why ice ghost had to have a frown put on him. Do they have to scribble faces onto pictures of glaciers over there?

He had a skull-y face I suppose?

They made Pugna more goblin-y looking to fix him.

They made Shadow Friend look pretty kickass since he also had a gaunt skull-y face too.

And I'll never get over how unintentionally cute they made Clinkz. Clinkz and Roshan had a baby :3:

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

TheQat posted:

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just thought you'd like to know. Based on my brief unscientific testing just now, you can set updaterate to 30 max but cmdrate to 40 max. (I set them both to 40 in autoexec; when in dota2 afterward, if I type cl_updaterate in the console it shows me 30 as what I guess is the existing value, and 40 for cmdrate).

Please, don't kill my placebo.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.

Dr. Capco posted:

That's why Gondar needs a battlefury for anti-push :dota101:

realtalk why isn't Mask of Madness the best item in the game

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Speaking of Shadowfiend we may finally be getting the model update in a week.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

They had better keep his swagger :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really hope so, the fakeout at the start of Year Beast killed me.

OH MAN, HE'S MISSING FROM THE CLIENT, THEY'RE CHANGING HIS FILE NAMES, THEY'RE- oh it's nothing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is that him in this background?

If so I guess that's how he'll look.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

computer parts posted:

No, that's just him during his ult.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

computer parts posted:

I like how everyone looks so menacing and then Rubick's just like "HEY GUYS I'M HERE TOO v:downs:"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

IncendiaC posted:

They had better keep his swagger :colbert:

True Swagger Fiend died in the transition to Dota 2

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Aferisan posted:

That's why Gondar needs a battlefury for anti-push :dota101:

realtalk why isn't Mask of Madness the best item in the game

Because blink dagger exists

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Some heroes would benefit a lot just from being re-animated rather than completely remodeled. Like Sand King. Guy looks dope but man he's got some lovely animations. Make him scitter like a.. scorpion, boom fixed.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Would Mask of Madness Lifestealer ever be a thing?

Unless his ult purges the rage, he benefits from the movespeed, the attack speed, and hell he's magic immune so not much counter-initiation would be going on. The only issue is he has crap for armor but I suppose with the double heal it wouldn't be too big of an issue.

I mean you could argue that his kit is already good on all accounts, he has his slow that grants lifesteal, and his rage already gives the AS buff, so all you're really getting is movespeed but I find that when I play LS movespeed is the biggest issue. Its why people go phase/drums racecar build.

e: meant his rage purging the MoM active buff.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Aferisan posted:

Would Mask of Madness Lifestealer ever be a thing?

Unless his ult purges the rage, he benefits from the movespeed, the attack speed, and hell he's magic immune so not much counter-initiation would be going on. The only issue is he has crap for armor but I suppose with the double heal it wouldn't be too big of an issue.

I mean you could argue that his kit is already good on all accounts, he has his slow that grants lifesteal, and his rage already gives the AS buff, so all you're really getting is movespeed but I find that when I play LS movespeed is the biggest issue. Its why people go phase/drums racecar build.

e: meant his rage purging the MoM active buff.

The decision making tree is: Should I buy Mask of Madness? (Y)

You could probably make it work but Lifestealer isn't actually all that tanky naturally when he's not chewing on someone or magic immune, so you might just get blown the hell up because you're taking extra damage and spent ~2k on stuff that's not HP or armor. If you can get away with it go loving wild though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Equilibrium posted:

Some heroes would benefit a lot just from being re-animated rather than completely remodeled. Like Sand King. Guy looks dope but man he's got some lovely animations. Make him scitter like a.. scorpion, boom fixed.

Sandy King's waddle is pretty great though, bustling around doing Sand King things.

• Locked thread