Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

killstealing posted:

Ground floor new dota thread bring back Boner Lord

Everyone hurry and buy the Bonerlord set before it gets updated. It has a mask so you can pretend your true King is still in there :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Asiina posted:

Phoenix looks like a girl bird.

I'm not sure why.

She lays an egg.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Even at max level, that silence would still guarantee a kill on someone like Lina or Zeus who relies on their spells since it can be permanently applied to them.

But there are many silence targets that will gently caress you over with +120% damage. See: Weaver, Exort Invoker or PA (SHE MIGHT BLINKSTRIKE AWAY). It all depends on how badly you need that silence, how good your target is at autoattacking, and whether you're buying agi items to take advantage of the damage boost or not. Or a friendly carry who can abuse the extra damage while using BKB to avoid the silence.

Elman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 14, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Bloodrage only boosts base damage so it wouldn't do anything to Exort Invoker. Even if it did do you really think invoker doing more damage with his okay right clicks is more dangerous than being able to do his entire combo of spells?

He still has high damage, 600 range, likely int items and a ~3.5 int growth that you just boosted further. But really, I was just having a hard time thinking of examples :v:

AXE COP posted:

I agree, he will probably be buffed soon.

Feast and Bloodbath are just meant to be merged.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kild posted:

Seems a waste to have a bunch of attackspeed and nothing to do with it. Aghs helps you farm faster by cleaving creeps and 4 shotting towers.

That's because it is a waste if you do nothing with it. The point is they're good, cost-efficient early items that give you stats to teamfight and wreck face because you're loving Tiny and you shouldn't be afk farming when your combo deals over a thousand burst damage at 9.

You can AoE farm stacks with your combo if you want to, it's not like you need to rush a naked Aghs if you want to have farm.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 14, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kild posted:

Why are you teamfighting at the 10 minute mark. Why is your guy in the 1 position not farming.

Because you can? Push meta and all that, win super early by abusing the fact that your hard carry is an early game powerhouse while the enemy team is one man down. TPing to fights doesn't mean you aren't farming.

You can go full hard carry too if the game calls for it, I'm just saying Drums and Yasha aren't a waste :shobon:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BigLeafyTree posted:

I tried to teach my brother how to play and realized I had no idea where to start and had no real idea how I learned this game beyond smashing my face into it repeatedly and somehow absorbing it. I remember all sorts of weird conclusions I came up with like:

The first time i walked into Rosh pit as Riki I instantly died and decided that, since you can't place sentries inside the rosh pit, it stands to reason that invisible heroes become visible in the pit.

This was after years of playing HoN and then switching over to Dota 2. I remember telling a friendly BH not to walk in there because they'd get vision of him, and he believed me.

I mean, it made sense!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Hitler, the Nature's Prophet.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

Dear Gaben,

A friend of mine has a hero he plays a lot of, and I just picked them up recently and its made me realize he is totally lovely at that hero. We lose every time he plays them dispite assuring me it's his best hero. I don't want to hurt his feelings, he's a competent guy but is attached to a completely lovely build and playstyle.

How do I tell him his hero is great but he just sucks and needs to not play them, or needs to change his playstyle without hurting his dotapride?

Signed

Fed up with feeding

Sever.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Today I randomed sniper :allears:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

The Puck who got 2 kills mid and has a blink dagger at 7 min is the best at being aggressive, the Rubick who can harass but not get kills because no one else on your team picked up a follow up stun or wants to do anything other than play passive, not so much.

Yes, a mid that gets 450GPM in 7 minutes tends to outperform a bad support.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

If you are playing a 5 role lane support and picking up solo kills on high priority targets on the other team, your MMR is probably hosed to such an extreme that it doesn't matter what hero or role you play.

Go play 10 Lich/CM games and report back.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cronodoculous posted:

But you really do need a Diffusal OR a Radiance. If you don't have one of the two, then why are you playing Naga?

To be one of the funnest, best supports in the game, of course :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

HGH posted:

4 spanish people with 0 English skills. No problem, I can deal with this. I just tell them "No hable espanol" and try to use the premade messages to communicate. And then the safelane Lifestealer just explodes at me with nonstop swears(because if there's one thing Dota 2 has taught me, it's foreign swears). Did I do commit some faux pas or something

You're looking for "no hablo espaņol". You told them not to speak Spanish :haw:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

A guy just disconnected for about 10 minutes at the start of a game. We paused for a while but gave up eventually, the game hadn't even started yet and he had private profile so we couldn't tell if he was coming back.

Then he comes back with less than 30 seconds left. And stays cause "I don't want to get LPQ".

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=237606708

Idea for a pro player Sand King set, brought to you by Mountain Dew Code Red.

To all the comments of "it doesnt fit"...
Who Cares!! If I spend my money on sets I want them to be epic changes! Who wants to pay for something that looks like the default skin?!

█░░█░█░▀▀█▀▀░█▀█ ░ █▀█
█░░█░█░░░█░░░█▀▄ ░█▀▀█
▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀░ ▀░▀░░▀
░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░████
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
██████▄▄█░░░░░███▄
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░ Valve ░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░Add This░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░ Please! ░░█
▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░█

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kalstrams posted:

There is also gooncam.

Is Gooncam any better at optimizing? The one I posted was actually 10MB, I used this to make it smaller because I have no clue how to do it right without killing the colors :shobon:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Dota equivalent would be Tiny throwing a low HP Pudge at a Support who's at 40% hp and with no cooldowns ready.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is AM still a thing in competitive play? I don't think I've seen him for a while but I hardly watch any.

As far as I can tell he used to be lovely in pubs but good with an organized team, now he's just poo poo all around. And somehow people still willingly pick the 40% winrate, 2KA:D ratio waste of space and yell endlessly as they get raxed in 20 minutes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ah, fair enough. He's still "I saw him in a comp game" tier then :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

verybad posted:

Wait what that's a thing now?

Yep. Today I had a game where everyone was 4200-4600 except for our poor 5200 MMR CM who was the solo support in our 4 core team (I felt bad, I should have repicked my random firstpick :smith:).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Anyone else think that muted people shouldn't be allowed to be captain? It's really hard to communicate your plan if you can't speak.

Muted people shouldn't be able to play ranked at all.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kalstrams posted:

There is also gooncam.

Thanks for recommending this, it works pretty well!

(I was aiming for Invoker but he changed directions. That Clockwerk was in fog, hooking a teammate with 10% hp :haw:)

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 17, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Playing Dark Seer against Clockwerk is a joy.

Nice cog initiation on Luna, mate. Would be a shame if someone were to vacuum your entire team in there and drop a wall on top :getin:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

People say this every patch, but it does feel like Dota is the most balanced it's ever been. Remember when everyone was worried about the 6.78 changes to pulls and offlane? They worked out perfectly, dual lanes are a thing again but trilanes are still viable. Balance in general is pretty good, even loving Sniper is being unironically picked in competitive play.

Just gotta tone down heroes like Lich, DP, Mirana or Lycan and Icefrog can move on to his next project :haw:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Spudd posted:

Ahhahaha what, how are any of these heroes over powered?

Lich and Mirana are the ultimate safe picks right now. They fit in any team composition cause they can be laned anywhere, solo or not, and they've both got a lot of small buffs lately which make them really good at what they do. Offlane Lich is plain disgusting if the safelaners don't know exactly what they're doing.

DP and Lycan I don't usually have trouble with (I hardly see them), yet they have big VH winrates right now and I personally have about 80% wins with them too so I thought I'd throw them in there. Since I was just making a joke, you know.

I'm only talking about my experience since I don't follow competitive play. But three of those are in the top 4 highest Very High winrates right now so it isn't just me.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 18, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kalstrams posted:

he did get me once when he stormed the ramp on haste and just went for ulti->hook on a level 6 Drow Ranger.

Found your problem there.

Srice posted:

IMO playing Pudge is the best way to figure out how to counter Pudge.

Ignoring him cause he misses every hook?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Next time I will random better then.

:shobon: Seriously though, there's only so much you can do as Drow against an agressive mid. She's more of a safelaner.

Weaver is good but Puck, QoP, Sand King, basically anyone with a decent escape should be fine. Just be careful if Pudge tries to get close or he might start rotting and then hook you when you try to use your escape.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I hate all the Dire ones and love all the Radiant ones. Good thing they're separate chests :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Up to the Elves posted:

A difference is they don't steal away from a minuscule pool of players to begin with. You don't see Tom Brady waiting days to play a game while random shitheads pool in off the street.

No clue what you're going on about, but if you're 5000MMR I doubt you're losing too many of your potential teammates to RAD or unranked games.

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 19, 2014

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Up to the Elves posted:

The numbers don't lie. I'm sure this game wasn't fun for anyone involved.

What solution do you suggest other than not letting him play pubs?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm watching the start of F2P and it just reminded me of how unimpressive the Radiant ancient's death animation is. The Dire's explodes and there's this huge hole in the ground with lava and poo poo, while the Radiant's just... Disappears. A few statues fall over, I guess? :geno: I expected them to change it sometime during beta but they never did.

I liked how HoN did it: one side of the map would take over the other. A tree grows on the Dire ancient, while a demon appears from under the remains of the Radiant's.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't get how tcjimbo isn't permanently muted.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I love how Ember Spirit went from being considered a joke pick, with people laughing when he got added to CM, to "loving ember picker" allchat whining tier. Just around the time that Earth Spirit did the opposite, too.

I never took him seriously until I saw him in competitive games and realized he can throw a Shackle during Sleight. Suddenly he became a more fun, melee version of Stormspirit that can pull off awesome Puck style dodges and counter illusion heroes quite well. And Meepo I guess, but who doesn't counter Meepo :shobon:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kalstrams posted:

I am not sure, but does Wisp counter Meepo?

Global TP gives you the mobility to chase him around and kill him even if he's poofing to avoid ganks :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just make sure to get an early game item or two so you can abuse your Track asap, don't try to rush Desolator or anything. He loves Orb of venom, Drums, Urn and Medallion.

If you're up against a hard lane or sentry spam bring 4-5 clarities and just stay invisible forever. As long as you're very aware of what anti-invis they have you should be able to get decent XP with the occasional last hit, and since they'll rarely see you it'll be easier to roam and kill their jungler/mid as they won't always realize that you're gone.

I like to go 2-1-2 and then max Jinada myself, since you get 2/3rds of Shuriken's damage with only two points in it and I love Jinada+Medallion. Maxed Shuriken is great too though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Death Bot posted:

Jinada adds like 25-40 damage per rank depending on what items you manage to farm (...) Shuriken is going to be your biggest source of damage, and getting those early kills is so important on a character who wants to get and keep an early gold advantage for his team.

Jinada's cooldown halves between level 1 and 4, you can't just look at the damage value.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

gangnam reference posted:

Maxing jinada before at least 3 points in shuriken (and probably 4) is the worst poo poo ive ever heard unless for some reason you're sticking in a lane for 20 minutes and i hope that never happens to you.

How is an extra 50 damage in Shuriken (The difference between lvl2 and 3) better than an extra level in Jinada? You can easily get two Jinadas off in a gank and still have a pretty effective Shuriken. Two shurikens? Not as likely. Jinada also gets you a 3 second 25% slow on a 6 second cooldown.

Maxed Shuriken has its place because you get it a level earlier and it's much safer to use, but in your average pub match where you're gonna be hunting their lonely Furion in the woods using Jinada safely isn't much of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Death Bot posted:

Yeah, it's just that in this case one build is for killing people on teams where people are smart enough to buy sentries and give BH a hard time, and the other is for right clicking a carry that's been left solo safe by a support who leeched a few levels before going to pull and didn't buy sentries.

When did I say anything about staying in lane 1vs1? I gank just as much as I do with a shuriken build, the difference in damage is really small and it becomes smaller as you get items. If you can stick around for 6 seconds (Which isn't that much in a lot of situations), it literally deals more damage while doubling your slow and letting you roam more cause you're spending less mana.

And if you can't stick around like that because you've been shut down hard or you're focusing on ganking their super defended carry or whatever, you just max Shuriken instead. It's almost as if

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Wait, could it possibly be that different skill builds have different purposes

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread