Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hubris.height posted:

I love Enchantress as a hero, I just wish I was better at playing her so I could enjoy it. I wish there was a way to lane her effectively.
Pick up some cool creeps, wreck some guys. Get a net or that purple ball firing ability or a stomp or whatever else and lay waste to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What are some good heroes to play to really start pushing my dota skills with?
The oft-underrated Earth Spirit, if you like skillshots and want to learn about good positioning.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There's now only one true King. He is made of sand. Or is just the king of sand, I don't know.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Dota lore is abysmal even for computer game writing. Just abysmal.

The guy's the king of sand, if he sees sand I guess he's in charge of it in his own mind. Lot of sand, or at least silt, at the bottom of the river. That's why he's there. That's my head canon.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I never understood the generic names
As someone who hates fantasy poo poo, Sand King is a perfectly fine name for a thing that's basically just a character class.

Having a bunch of heroes called dumb stuff like "Krystalamos The Shard Queen" or whatever is lame and haggard to bits. Just call her SQ, it's much more convenient! (or Shart Queen if she's scary I guess, have that one in advance terrible BTS 'Bristlebro/Cancer Lancer' casters)

Even "Naix" is annoying if you're also dealing with a Nyx assassin on the same map.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

I still would like to see someone attempt this playing only support role. I don't think it can be done.
Why not?

Most games that I win as a support I feel like I contributed quite a bit to it and had a good day.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Well yeah you can be instrumental in a win as a support sometimes but you do not nearly as much ability to make the impact that the other roles can make.

You can make perfect smoke ganks roaming. You can pull correctly. You can zone. You can deny. You can ward. These are all things that just create the opportunity for your teammate to take advantage, but if they are low skill level. They will miss easy CS in a zoned lane. Be asleep at the wheel during your gank. Walk into the enemy as soon as you step out of the lane to pull.
Chances are your carries are likely to be almost exactly as good as your opponents, so if you play support well, you win.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I would much rather support a bad carry, than play a carry with a bad support.
Massively agreed.

The reason I play support almost all of the time is because it means we definitely get a courier, upgraded very close to 3:00, and wards bought and placed, plus dust and all that.

Every time I see some terrible ES get a bunch of stuff at the start of the game without even getting a courier (no wards I understand, if hate), I know I'm going to have a bad time.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Getting disconnected from the server today and it's probably affecting my alleged trustworthiness :(

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

How do you gently caress up with Rubik?
Not do well enough in the laning phase that you just get bursted down very, very quickly in every fight after you get maybe one steal off tops.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Not-aggressive-enough carries: the bane of my life as a support.

I can do a lot to help, but I can't stop cowardice :negative:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MuffinMan posted:

AA's chilling touch is the ultimate pub tri-lane winner, I've found. There's almost nothing your random teammates can do to gently caress that one up. Especially if you're three ranged.
You say that, but I play a lot of AA, and I've seen it done :(

"Yes we could harass this lane to absolute poo poo and probably get some kills, or we could use it to gently caress up our last hits by having a slightly slower animation and getting denied"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I played with the worst Chaos Knight last night. Refused to use his stun to save me or himself even, end up building a Sange & Yasha, a Heaven's Halberd, and a Manta Style.
All before anything more than brown boots. He had 2 Sange's, and 2 Yasha's. I pooped my pants.
Wait did he actually disassemble two S&Ys?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spudd posted:

Ahhahaha what, how are any of [Lycan, Lich, Death Prophet and Mirana] over powered?
People have talked about Mirana already, but Lycan is a really excellent hero. Global utility, very safe jungler (who you can lane if that's just not an option for some reason), and his invisible wolves are great for scouting and damage, also BoTing to.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Soviet_Russia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqKrnmLTQIQ

There's a new Purge Casts a Pub and 4 out of 10 players dont buy items at lvl 1

Pretty promising so far
So are the people who pay Purge to play with them uniformly about 800 MMR?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

Are there any heroes that counter Pudge well?
Heroes with creeps can be useful against Pudge because it's much more convenient to have your wolf/jungle creeps/boar/etc. take a hook rather than yourself.

The main thing to do is to try to fight behind and/or inside a creep wave if you're having to fight Pudge largely alone (but you shouldn't let that happen, you need to have supports come in and gently caress him up repeatedly before he gets too hard to kill later on with his passive).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

AA dumpsters Pudge in a mid matchup. You probably wont kill him 1v1, but no melee likes getting Cold Feeted, and AA'srange and attack animation are both pretty good and damage is good if you go Cold Feet/+stats.
Total waste of AA going Cold Feet/Stats, though, and say what you like about Pudge having awkward creep clearing, but Rot beats anything Ancient Apparition gets before six.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Earth Spirit is still fun. Skillshots 4 lyf. That is my dota news.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Who is the least problematic hero in dota?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ban AM pickers from dota.

Just had yet another CM loss (I do fine in AP, not sure why CM is a disaster area other than the fact I solo queue) because our captain assured us he played a great AM (I suggested Spectre instead, he was having none of it for some reason).

1-4-0 within the first six minutes. With myself and another support backing him up as much as possible. Man didn't even get a stout shield, just got a tango, a quelling blade, and "rushed" a 20-ish minute Battle Fury. Got down to about half health on creeps all the time under our tower, and got repeatedly cleaned up by Viper because of it in a shocking turn of events only foreseen by literally everyone but him.

Their tidehunter left at about 10 minutes in after we killed him a couple of times in fights in our jungle, but unfortunately he was the only reliable source of farm for our Anti-Mage so yeah.

AM ended the game 6-12-6, our supports were both like 1-12-20, just the worst thing.

:negative:

how me a frog posted:

Glados ward, "Free to play" camera ward, ward fish, literally eye of Sauron, weathervane ward, polycount logo ward, lovely tower with random stars and the usual eye floating over it, little eye wearing storm spirit clothes hue hue hue.

Cartoon mushroom man, not one but two versions of the "lovely wizard", lovely robot/bear/beetle hybrid with goggles "Maximilian the Beetlebear", a loving snail with a boot of travel tied to it's head (LOOOOL!!!!!11), two christmas elves carrying around a chest, tinkbot, baby chocobo, dachshund with a saussage dangling in front of him from a stick, chicken with a rucksack, some sort of purple man with a stick, a beaver in racing clothes riding a log made to look like a motorbike, a pig riding on a dwarf's back, an inexplicable red man in a hat, a baby octopus pirate with a hilarious tentacle moustache, a flying film camera. And these are just that the ones that are in my opinion completely indefensible, there's plenty more that are (only) offensive visually.
:goonsay:

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 21, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gangnam reference posted:

Antimage is one of the most fun heroes in the game, right up there with furion, terrorblade, phantom lancer, and spectre.
AM pickers tend to be really bad.

"I saw this work in TI2, I am basically like XBOCT in that I am physically unattractive, so we're set!"

*killed numerous times like a loving idiot*

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Frankly the idea of a donkey having wings is completely indefensible.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

how me a frog posted:

I have always played exclusively support.
Then why even moan about this thing you are largely in charge of yourself, jesus christ.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

how me a frog posted:

Because the enemy team has wards and couriers too, sometimes there are two supports and the other will pick up courier/wards before you can
Heaven forfend.

quote:

and the pool of drops that I'd be interested in is completely rank with poo poo that clashes with the overal art style or is just ludicrous.
Just sell them then you bitch idiot.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

Baekho :colbert:

Also, how does one build Legion commander for general laning purposes?
Area attack spell then regen thing then counterattack thing in order of preference. Ult as and when.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

How the gently caress do you play Lion then???
Try to take all the creep last hits on the grounds you need an Agh's more than a carry needs their *insert item of choice*

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Philosopher King posted:

Yes I want to afk play my game
Uh can I ask why?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I can't shift click camps because I don't have auto-attack turned on. What are your guys' opinions on auto-attack?
Leave it off to avoid stupid poo poo like Nightmaring yourself as Bane.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish, just as an experiment, Valve would add tower kills to the scoreboard. Preferably have them show up at the top of the screen like kills do. Towers matter way more than kills but people fixate so much more on the later.
Ehh

You don't keep a team down directly by snatching towers from them, you do keep players down by killing them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would hope they tone him down before DOTA2 instead of the overcompensation they did with ES
Steady on now, Earth Spirit is still a pretty decent support/semicarry. He's maybe not quite as good as he was just after being put into the game, and the PUNT ability rather than the Dragging-the-rocks-in one having their silence/stun swapped around makes it a less piss easy combo to land and make use of, but his utility to his teammates is mostly the same.

Wish they'd put him in CM, because at the moment I seem to be one of the very few people playing him despite being an ace skillshot hero.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

What is counter to Ember Spirit in pub?
Picking him first.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I really think there should be multiple tiers of LPQ. Like LPQ doesn't mean poo poo to me because the only time I land in there is when my internet craps out midway through a game and I wrack up an abandon, but other people loving live there full time. They'll throw out a ton of slurs, act like general assholes, then abandon every time. They don't care because what's 5 more games to them?

So, if you made a continuing level of punishment where you go down a tier every time you wrack up another 5 games of LPQ while in LPQ then you can filter the truly awful from the first timers.
Surely the fix is for Dota itself to silently mute these people.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is dota working again yet, servers-wise?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I like Tusk but literally every single loving game other than one I've played on him, someone left about halfway and we lost despite a good early position, so I have no idea how well he scales.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, Sand King, the definition of a squishy support. Anyone who says he has decent health and two very reasonable escapes plus whatever mobility item he buys, plus potentially other escape stuff is a noob bitch idiot.

There are supports who die a lot and can very easily get one-shotted by guys like Nyx even if you're doing well (if only Vendetta lost the damage buff if he was detected, fix this doto volvo, etc.). Guys like Rubick, or Venomancer, or AA if he gets caught out, or especially Vengeful Spirit if their main role is swapping out inept pub carries or swapping to help a chase. That is just a thing where if you're not massively ahead, you can and will get burst down.

There are supports who do not die a lot unless you gently caress up, like SK or Enchantress or Bristleback. They are also a thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

Who plays Bristleback as a support?
Quite a lot of players? (maybe not that many, I dunno)

His skills are low-mana enough that you can carry a Mek and still be mostly fine. And with a Pipe and maybe Arcane Boots, you're a very durable support platform that is really good for making sure targets don't escape your carry without a TP?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

I think Ench with the 1.0 str gain and only a heal over time (very strong sustained healing though) or CM with the 1.6 str/level but also really slow movespeed and low other stats along with no self-preservation spell. I just don't think dazzle is that squishy but then again I do tank up whenever I play him.
Ench is pretty survivable, at least at the level I'm playing. So long as you get PTs, a wand, and some MR, you're usually pretty much golden so long as your creeps can dissuade more fragile nukers from coming too close and gently caress them up if they do. That does rely on some good luck when it comes to creep spawns, but nothing crazy.

e: to both-rune-warding guy, remember that just warding one spot will tell you where it's at, saving the other ward for somewhere else. The enemy jungle is a good, if maybe obvious location, your jungle is always handy if a bit dull.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 8, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The wave is horses.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Supports who don't dust/sentry against a team including a BH and Invoker, and leave it to their carry PL should be put to the loving sword irl.

That's my dota opinion for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also inept Earth Spirits should get the same treatment.

"TIME TO PUNT MY TEAMMATE WHO'S JUST ABOUT ON TOP OF HE FLEEING ENEMY CARRY UNDER A TOWER TO DIE IN A poo poo ATTEMPT TO KS, MULTIPLE TIMES"

Yeah, good one, dickhead.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread