Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Sand King is still the best hero in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I love Enchantress as a hero, I just wish I was better at playing her so I could enjoy it. I wish there was a way to lane her effectively. I guess if you just make a super push lane it could work, but the lack of a stun hurts a lot.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Dazzle has some of the best late game relevancy. The thing to remember is that his ult has a super long range and needs a few seconds to accumulate to significance. More often than not you're better off using it on your own team to make sure they have bonus armor going into a fight and not scaring away a potential team (almost every organized / good team / player will back off for the duration when you nail a good ult). Also, his Q is a mini stun, slow, mini stun, and continues doing damage for a duration afterwards.

Also, Shallow Grave is ridiculous and his heal is a great nuke early game and nice sustainable health increase late game.

Personally, I like going after Wards / Aghs / Eye of Skadi, but there are a lot of better builds. That's just what I go for because its fun. I think Wards / Mek / Medallion of Courage / Aghs is a better one, and putting a Eul's in there is a great idea because of poor mana pool / regen, especially early on. This will give you the late game relavence you were hoping for (I hope).

I'm sure someone else will have even better suggestions, this is just what I like to do, but I pretend I'm playing Demented Shaman from HoN when I play Dazzle so ymmv.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Is Radiance a "core" item for Naga Siren? What's a good build for fair to middlin' farm, if I'm not getting crazy farm in lane?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Soviet_Russia posted:

PM me here or add me on steam if you want to play with some goons who try not to get mad at Dota :dota101:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/AiurOG

We never get mad. You can learn a lot from us but sometimes we yall about stupid poo poo for no reason.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Don't say negative things about Sand King ever.

So last night I failed the hardest I have failed, as Nyx. Instead of breaking vendetta with an auto attack, I broke it with impale (which I missed), then used mana burn (which got back tracked), and then used a TP instead of my Dagon.

Moral of the story don't play matchmaking drunk, ever.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Free to play = Three to play(????)

HL3 confirmed.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I got my poo poo pushed in as offlane Sand King last night. Enemy team didn't pick until a split second was left, they went Centaur, Witch Doctor, and Lina for their bot lane, proceeded to say no you don't to me when I tried to sandstorm under my tower. Honestly made a few bad plays and learned a lot. I wanted to ward their creep camp but didn't succeed in my attempt.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Hats.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Faceless Void with Diffusal Blade versus angry nuke teams? Is it just not worth it because you can fully remove a player as opposed to eating all their mana with good DPS items?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
If they wanted to pull a "fake patch notes" thing they would've made mention of Techies in it because that would drive everyone into a shitstorm.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
However, on Axe, you can build up to two Vanguards and its actually pretty good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Soviet_Russia posted:

The trench is dark and full of terrors. I didn't mean to badmouth you but rather state a harsh truth. If you want to play interesting and competitive games of dota, you either need a stack of people to carry your rear end out of the trench, or learn the Wu-Tang secret of last hitting that gets you a Radiance, midas and boots at ~15 minutes into the game.

This is true, but I've also had success with not picking to "fit" my teams picks (around the 3300 MMR area), and instead picking heroes that I know I can have a HUGE impact early and mid game, and hope that the person who picked a carry can use the space I made. I've been playing nothing but Axe for the last few days and I'm on a 3 game winning streak after many tough loses of picking something to "fit" with my team.

My advice is either to get good (at Blood Seeker mid), pick an early / mid game impact hero who can push towers and force their team to respond (like Axe and Sand King), or to pick a carry you know you can farm fast with and out play most other carries (usually ranged carry but if you're good then AM is a good pick).

Best of luck.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

People who refuse to communicate what position they are looking to play and then go on to refuse to play the position that is left over when everyone has already communicated their intentions and have bought items are a real legit thing to complain about. I don't think it is terribly bound to mmr though.

Within the first 5 seconds of the game I will highlight Axe and select the offlane on the minimap and type out "lane cutting offlane". I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, had anyone else say what lane they wanted, or picking to support my lane explicitly, except for the rare person calling mid. Don't expect it in the Trench.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
To be fair in low MMR you have to tell the carries to stop showing up to fights before they get items so you gotta pick your battles.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Support is the best role in the game.

Also, try playing non-classic supports, and changing your definition of the "support role" from the LoL definition, to one with much more gray area. Axe, for instance, is a support in my opinion. He's a good initiator and tank who happens to create a lot of kills but if you look at his kit it is fully based around helping his team get kills. Also, when you get entire creep waves for free you should be able to afford wards for your team.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

No Safe Word posted:

S2 stopped working on it and are...

making another dotalike instead

Hahaha. "A second generation MoBA".

"This isn't your daddy's MoBA!" *crashing sounds as a LoL clone is shown on the TV*

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Soviet_Russia posted:

1) Bong rips
2) open can of mt dew
3) pooping in an another room
4) intermittently eating doritos, then wiping dorito powder off of their fingers with napkin/tongue
5) hurling poo poo at the wall and howling like feral dogs
6) masturbating
7) (if All Pick) still havent picked a goddamn hero yet

these are the actual things your enemies are doing in the first few (pre)minutes of the match. If you just get your poo poo and go as soon as you pick a hero then you aren't ever going to have problems warding the jungle until you're pushing 4.5k+ mmr

I see you forgot the ever popular, "Staring at the wall, waiting for the sweet release of death".

Offlaning is easy, Just Pick Axe.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

killstealing posted:

Use shift-queuing, never gently caress up an epi again*

*unless you take incidental damage from a nearby aoe or anything that interupts your blink dagger shift click

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Amber Alert posted:

If something put your blink on cooldown, you hosed up your positioning to begin with (95% of cases) or the enemy team got really lucky with a line-target ability like Venge's wave or Powershot (4% of the time) or they got real fuckin lucky with something else (1%)

I am a dota scientist so these numbers are accurate

I am in no way defending it, but it is not always as simple as "shift click never miss". Its like 60% bad positioning, and then the rest is split up by luck on the other team and your own team running towards you like their hair is on fire.

Personally, on the occasion I gently caress it up, I have a tendency to be too close and also in a bad spot when the fight starts and I decide its go time, but I absolutely have seen and do not begrudge others who have trouble landing it because of that and other reasons.

Amber Alert posted:

The real solution is to go shadowblade.

Epi -> Blink -> Shadowblade for ninja-status earthquaking.

Yes, and I'd like to see Blink Dagger Epicenter with Weaver's stealth for maximum laughter on RAD.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 9, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Balobam posted:

His ult is loving awful though, good luck getting it off at an actually convenient time.

Its secret great purpose is winning 1v1s when some clown thinks they can take your huge man muscles and put them six feet under. Prove them wrong.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I went from 3100 MMR to 3450 MMR by using this one simple trick; picking terrorblade every game and going safelane.

Its impossible to gently caress it up, he's so ridiculously good. Some games it can be a fight uphill but I've only lost one game on him, and honestly it was because I was not playing as well as I should have been. Once you have Manta style on him you just need to know when to metamorph and that you can push any lane you want, without even being there.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I imagine anywhere below 4k MMR there will still be lots of Techies first bloods.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Does Riki cloud prohibit the use of items? Can't one just TP or Force Staff out of it?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine why a female would ever want to get into the pro Dota 2 scene. Its hard to find any sort of success in the pro scene even when you are legitimately good due to how competitive it is. There's an extremely low chance of success. Any woman looking to get in would have to deal with even more poo poo. Nobody would give her a fair shot so it would be hard to improve. Nobody would give her credit for her achievements. She would get endless amounts of poo poo from the terrible community. So even if she was one of the best, the sense of accomplishment would be greatly diminished from the amount of hatred.

So for a woman to be a pro succesful Dota 2 player, she would need to be willing to go into a career that most people find no success in that will hate her every step of the way. And in the most people don't give a poo poo about Esports so it wouldn't even be considered a remarkable accomplishment.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Internet Kraken posted:

Yup that's a post I made about how lovely the gaming community is towards woman. Your point?

EDIT: That's from over two months ago too what the gently caress :lol:

Your terrible posting in the Summer Games Done Quick thread reminded me of it. You really ought to not write your posts in a way that blames the victim of the lovely community for attempting to enter the lovely community, for future reference. I just thought it was funny. Still is.

I've been playing nothing but Legion / Ancient Apparition in Ranked and I've watched my MMR steadily increase over the past few weeks, I think I finally found impact heroes that I'm good with.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Brannock posted:

Please explain how that was victim blaming.

Note that pretty much everyone here understands what victim blaming is (maybe not you???) so don't just post a definition of victim blaming and call it a day.

Using the phrase "I can't imagine why a female would ever want to get into the pro Dota 2 scene" instead of "I don't understand why the community is so hostile towards women who want to enter the community" would change who is the subject of 'not being understood' in the sentence. As it is written, and if you're honest with yourself I think you'll agree, it poorly communicates a perfectly valid point. I think that this is a pretty basic observation and refusing to see it seems more like intentional denseness on your part, than on mine.

I really just think its a funny post, I didn't want to have to defend my stance on why its poorly written and funny so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Why does everyone freak the gently caress out and act like a total piece of poo poo or try to intentionally feed when I take Shadow Shaman mid. He's a good mid. Why won't people see that! :ohdear:

This might be confirmation bias because sometimes your other lanes just lose horribly. When you aren't a ganking mid (you could be with aggressive rune grabbing and some luck, but that's not where he shines IMHO) sometimes it can be hard to recover from a bad early game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Here's the best picks for people new to dota:

Wraith King (He has one spell)
Lich (infinite mana means you can Do Things)
Invoker (he's a wizard)
Sven (Right click the mans)
Meepo (He has one real spell)
Tinker (He's can shoot lasers and vomit robots)

Yeah, seconding this. Guy who asked should just play these simple heroes, at least you're low detriment if you gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Meepo (He has one real spell)

In reference to Meepo and his one real spell, saw some loving awesome Meepo carry action in my ranked match the other day

• Locked thread