Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

KnoxZone posted:

The best way to play Tiny is to convince a friend to play Io. All the speed bonuses and relocate mobility you could ever want.

That's true of everyone. We had a designated Io player for a bit, really a guy that just inexplicably wanted to play Io every game, and all those games were a good time for the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

One of Bloodseekers biggest upsides, the global vision from Thirst, doesn't really synergize with him in any way, which is a pretty big issue.

How does it not synergize? It makes him move ultra fast to that person and murder him.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What are some good heroes to play to really start pushing my dota skills with? I was thinking of trying to play either invoker or meepo but both are intimidatingly hard. I've played some bot games just to try to get the fundamentals of meepo and even that seems impossible.

Well you described before that you were good at Enchantress because you got jungling Lycan down. Don't focus on heroes who have to push a lot of buttons, focus on why they're pushing all those buttons. This game is more about roles than specific heroes. Once you define your role you can start talking about meta heroes for that role, or, if you want to have fun instead of being one of those sperglords that can only play tier 1 heroes by the book, you can learn how to apply heroes in a variety of roles.

Sounds like you like coming out of no where and killing people. Gankers are good for this, as are strength initiators. Timbersaw might be a good transition guy as he will "push" your skill while teaching you the merits of initiating, escaping, and chasing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I just know for a fact micro is my weakest dota-skill. Thats why I kind of want to get good at meepo to really push myself into being competant at micro.

Don't start on Meepo though. If you gently caress up microing with Chen, big deal, you lost a centaur. If you gently caress up microing with Meepo you die. It's too punishing to learn on right away.

Try starting with Enigma. Go into the jungle and Eidolon a creep then try to keep all the Eidolons alive. Bonus points if you don't level it up past 2 as that will force you to micro them back and forth to keep them up. Then after you leave the jungle, start trying to focus on using Eidolons in battle. Bind them to a hotkey and try to consciously target them on someone while shits going down.

Brewmaster's ult is good microing practice as well. When you ult control the earth panda for a stun and throw someone up in the air with your air panda.

Broodmother also is a good microing hero in the sense that you can do a lot with her broodlings outside of A targeting them. It's an old zergling trick from starcraft that you get a bunch of units, run past someone so some spiderlings are behind, next to, and in front of the guy, then a target. It'll block them in. Using your spiderlings to scout is also a good microing practice that won't punish you too much.

After you get the basics then move on to Meepo/Chen. I find that playing starcraft II to masters definitely completely fixed my microing game in Dota, although I'm still complete poo poo at Meepo and could be better at Chen/Enchantress.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RisqueBarber posted:

Speaking of globals, it would be fun to run a Furion, Silencer with aghs, Zeus, Gyro with aghs, and Anicent Apparation with Aghs. The lanes don't sound too terrible either.

We've done that, it's amazing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Endorph posted:

So both.

No, that's bullshit. I refuse to acknowledge that as canon.

Sand King is the king of scorpions who found some ooze and became a rad teenage mutant scorpion king. He changed his name to Sand King so he could make a Sandy Claws joke, which is hilarious and earns mad respect from me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BigLeafyTree posted:

To be fair the difference between stealing a Rosh kill or not is a different line of text on the screen if you weren't expecting it.

They should still notice it, it's a pretty big deal with a pro moves towards a Rosh pit knowing that there's 5 other pros there. They wouldn't do it unless they were planning something insane.

That being said casting Dota is loving difficult. There's three lanes and ten players to watch for usually two guys while they're color commentating. My only gripe with most MOBA casters is that a lot of them are low ranked players. BreakyCPK used to do HoN and he was terrible and knew jack poo poo about the game. He was pretty much only popular because he was the first to start casting that game. Dota casters are better I suppose. I play with Weppas and he's a very solid player and pretty knowledgeable in general.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I never understood the generic names. I liked the LoL system of characters having actual name names. I mean, if you're going to give them a backstory and lore and an actual name in that lore, why give them a generic designation on top of that?

Dota 1 was the 'original' MOBA and that's what their names were then. I can't remember where Eul and Guinsoo came up with the names, as I'm pretty sure Lina Inverse came from a book series or something. Back then they had two names: their real name and their dota name. I assume that's because not everyone could remember Crixalis but everyone could remember Sand King.

I actually have trouble remembering LoL heroes because they don't have easily remembered names. They're all fantasy names with too many vowels and such.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Death Bot posted:

Chiming in to say that everyone I knew called him Strygwyr because "Bloodseeker" is basically the worst possible name.

God Bloodseeker is a terrible name.

I prefer Korean nicknames for heroes. Isn't Dragon Knight called Brave Warrior over there?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I just always call him buttseeker.

You can extend that to all heroes. Butt King. Sand Butt. Skeleton Butt. Priestess of the Butt.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Yardbomb posted:

ANTI-BUTT :mad:

Butt

(that's Axe)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AXE COP posted:

Also titles own and are way more memorable and cool than names. League comes off as dumb and flat when you're a giant sea monster man and you're just called Dave.

The background of every LoL character looks like a signature from a forum in 2002. They're also shameless about giving huge tits and glowy eyes to everyone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Has anyone seen this?

I still would like to see someone attempt this playing only support role. I don't think it can be done.

He makes a good point that in the 3500 - 4000 bracket it's easier to feed on the enemy team than it is for them to feed on yours. I think the hump that people need to get over to go from 4000 to 4500ish is the ability to recognize when you can kill someone alone and to go and do that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zwiftef posted:

For example, Keeper of the Light's name is Azalor, he has a voice line saying it and everything. He also addresses a lot of the female character by name in a creepy way.

Part of the reason I play KOTL so much is because he hits on Lina and Luna and all of them.

Actually the only reason I play KOTL is because of illuminate, but there's many other perks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asiina posted:

Honestly though, I think most people can tell fairly quickly when someone on their team is very good and if that person talks and pings and comes up with plans most people will fall in line.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it with other people.

Depends. I've played with exceptionally good players that ping like dickholes and draw all over the map so I intentionally ignore their calls, even when they're the correct call. When I'm pubbing with people I make sure to only ping once and accurately, and to draw on the map nicely with arrows. It almost always works.

It's also nice to talk to teammates like a human being. Like if someone refuses to leave forest and push with you, you can say something like, "Hey Luna you got some sick rear end farm, come crush this tower with us" instead of, "GET THE gently caress OVER HERE LUNA YOU poo poo KID *ping**ping**ping**ping*".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elman posted:

Today I randomed sniper :allears:

This is from way back but how do you guys make these gifs? They're real high quality and smooth

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

El Pollo Blanco posted:

A Storm Spirit player raged at me recently for buying orchid after he did, because apparently you only need one on a team, but multiple orchids against a stun/nuke saturated opposing lineup sounds great to me?

A Doom complained to me that I bought an Urn of Shadows after the Pudge on our team also bought one. By the end of the game I had accumulated 5 kills and 20 assists on my Urn while our Pudge accumulated 2 kills and 3 assists, but my Urn was the reason we lost the game :)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have never needed to communicate with a pub hard carry instant picker. I know what they're gonna do, I know what they're gonna yell, and frankly, any communication back will end in disappointment.

The best people to communicate with are Colombian teenagers who sing Colombian love songs over the mic. We both know just enough curse words in each others languages to form a bond.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Or conversely the people that radiate towards those positions are usually terrible human beings

You need to be an aggressive person to mid. You need that killer instinct to look your enemy in the eyes and take what's yours.

Chances are if you have those two personality traits and are stuck below 4k MMR, you probably are god awful and are unwilling to change due to sheer stubborn assholeness.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Once I played a game with a Chen that wouldn't stop raging. It was weird because Chen players aren't usually like that.

I've found that some supports are the ragiest mother fuckers in the game. You combine the attitude of lovely players with the frustration of being a squishy for some amazing fireworks. Just had a CM in an unranked game last night calling us all luckers over and over again which just made me auto-target him every fight for even more rage.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asiina posted:

Reducing the hitbox on arrow would be a good improvement. It wouldn't make a difference for the good Mirana players but would make it harder for the mediocre ones. It would make the whole thing feel a little less bullshit both as Mirana and as the person she's aiming for.

In general the hitboxes on a lot of skillshots feels weird and could stand to be cleaned up a little. I've been hit by pudge hooks/horse cannons/powershots that it looks like I dodged while other times I seem to walk right through them.

Mirana's arrow is unreliable for both sides. I've had as many Mirana five second arrows "miss" me as I've been saved from a guaranteed hit by a creep that was noticeably not in front of me. I've fired arrows that seemingly pass right through people and fired arrows that have no business hitting. Her hitbox, along with the other skill shot hit boxes, really need fixing.

But the real issue with Mirana is the stealth. I think once you break it you shouldn't be able to go back into it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Internet Kraken posted:

Do most people fluctuate in a range of 200 or so MMR? I can't seem to get any higher than 4.1k because everytime I get back up there I get a massive losing streak that knocks me down to 3900. It keeps happening over and over.

That's called settling into your MMR. Either start queuing in a great five man or start practicing heroes that you know you can pull an 75% win rate with. I'm stuck in the same range because I refuse to stop randoming in all pick then building hard carry KOTL.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dr. Carwash posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress? Is this how it usually is when a 6k+ player solo queues? You can't even get a game that has all 4.5k+? drat that is bad.

Think about it, if 3900 is the top 5% or something, then 4500 must be the top 2% or so. Can't imagine that all those 4500s will be on at the same time, queuing at the same time, and queuing the same game modes/regions at the same time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Leveling up ignite over fireblast and putting 2 in frenzy or fireblast over your level six ult is astoundingly good on Ogre. Holy crap.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

thehacker0 posted:

Ogre is actually a pretty sick pubstomper. Have you seen merlini play him mid?

I picked up the mid Ogre from uh... I want to say a Navi match but it might have been Merlini I watched. Starting was 1 in Frenzy then he took two in ignite, one in fireblast, then finished Ignite/Frenzy before fully leveling fireblast. Didn't take his ult until level 10.

It seems silly but boy is it awesome in practice. Fireblast's stun doesn't go up with levels and the damage output is easily replaced by Frenzy auto attacks + Ignite, plus it makes catching people easier. With his high health and armor, and the realistic Mek path, that dude is so god drat durable early game. Sick pubstomper mid or in a trilane as support/roamer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IT BEGINS posted:

In dual/tri lanes, I think 1-4-1-1 by 7 is the way to go. Ignite burns for 400 damage, and multicasting it basically a guaranteed kill on at least one of your targets. The 30 extra mana on your base 75 fireblast is not so bad compared to the chance of getting 800 total ignite damage, an added 150 range, and an AOE on your already-insane Ignite.

I did that last night in the tri-lane I ended up in. First game was played under the influence and I leveled up my fireblast by mistake and finished with a lovely score. Second game I did the 1-4-1-1 by 7 in the trilane and ended up 16/2/16 or something like that. I like doing it that way in a trilane for the extra range on ignite and the extra mana on fireblast is softened by you or your teammate supplementing your mana regen with basillius/boots.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cabbit posted:

I still like Soul Ring in just about any situation on Ogre. He's got enough HP that the regeneration is nice to have, the burst mana is great and takes some of the pressure off you to get your Arcanes ASAP or be poo poo out of mana all the time, and 50% mana regen is never unwelcome. Plus, if you do end up going Aghs, it's handy to ensure you've got the mana for a Fireblast/Unrefined Fireblast combo.

I find that the Fireblast/Unrefined combo is unmanageable from a mana perspective so I'd agree with you. That soul ring or arcane boots pop is invaluable when you're constantly hovering around 0-200 mana despite having a 1400ish mana pool. I ended up forgoing that in my last game and ended up with Wand/Boots to supplement my Aghs/Ethereal Blade and didn't notice that much mana problems though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Internet Kraken posted:

I once saw Merlini outcarry a fully farmed PL as Ogre Magi :911:

What was his item build?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hey guys what to do you do to train your finger dexterity and strength outside this game? I found that pushing yourself off the ground after a popular boy pushes you down and steps on your glasses using only your finger tips is a great way to maintain the ductile strength needed to depress the Q, W, E, and R keys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Speaking of queue times and training our fingers to spar, they should really give us more mini-games to play during the timer. The item shop quiz is great and all for new players but if they had one where an invoker spell pops up and I gotta crush out the wex quas combo to make the spell, that would be infinitely helpful.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Up to the Elves posted:

A difference is they don't steal away from a minuscule pool of players to begin with. You don't see Tom Brady waiting days to play a game while random shitheads pool in off the street.

Tom Brady isn't in the MMR pool, Tom Brady is competing in the International. I'm sure if Tom Brady was forced to play football outside the NFL he'd want to just gently caress around with friends.

FlyinPingu posted:

Yo I wanna be good with Pugna the skeleton baby but I kind of suck poo poo with him. Help me goons.

Gotta be a hard rear end mother fucker to play Pugna. All the best Pugnas I've seen are hard rear end mother fuckers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Up to the Elves posted:

Hopefully I drive dodge right into your loving face, rear end in a top hat. Also you are literally incapable of understanding anything you dumb baby goon holy poo poo. Yeah just walk away, we're done here.

For others who I dunno, know how to read, I DO NOT hate dota. I love dota. I hate valve and what they have done to what could have been a great game.

I know how to read and you are a psychopath.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FlyinPingu posted:

Also on multiple netherward chat:

In RAD, but I think it still applies.

A Dazzle tried to pull that bullshit against me in RAD. I bought a Blade Mail and cast a couple quill sprays to kill him from across the map. He rage bought back then our Bristleback did the same thing with his sticky napalm and killed him again before the ward timers ran out.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What is drive dodging? Do you swerve on the highway or do you save that for residential areas where it's a little less dangerous?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I make prostitutes wear red wigs and tell me it's getting hot in here

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Up to the Elves posted:

The numbers don't lie. I'm sure this game wasn't fun for anyone involved.

I remember getting my rear end completely handed to me by Korok in a HoN match and that was a ton of fun. Playing against elite opponents is fun in it's own way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Elman posted:

I should know better than to mention russians in a dota thread even if I'm just talking about people playing at 3am.

I don't even get it. I asked one of them once what time it was where they were playing and they said 4:30 AM. Like Christ, do Russians sleep?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I usually take my sleepy-time tea around 11

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only thing that bothers me about custom wards is that I have like 12 of them because that's all I ever get out of my level up presents.

jBrereton posted:

AM pickers tend to be really bad.

"I saw this work in TI2, I am basically like XBOCT in that I am physically unattractive, so we're set!"

*killed numerous times like a loving idiot*

I notice it with anyone who slams captain then takes a hero for themselves. It'll almost always be a hard carry or something that takes a little bit of skill to play. For instance, I had a captain who banned and picked quite well, giving us a DP, picking up Ogre Magi for me, but then he insisted on taking Mirana. Queue him feeding like 5 deaths because he would use his leap to leap into Slark for... reasons unknown. Never landed an arrow, never ulted, blamed us all for losing.

I mean the DP on our team goes 20/0/20 and I go like 6/6/38 and we win but that dude complained the entire time which made it insufferable.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's nothing I hate more then countering an enemy's ward spot and seeing a Spell Ward up there. Holy Christ I will rage out of the game if I see a Spell Ward. MY IMMERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My favorite games are when the supports aren't paying any attention and you end up with two couriers. Then you get to see the popularity contest of which courier gets upgraded and used the most.

• Locked thread