Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Populous 3 is a full 3D war/god game from 1998 that's a prequel to the first two Populous games, the ones to coin the god game genre in 1989. In those games, you were a god that influenced the land to help your followers build and grow armies to destroy enemy tribes, all in glorious isometric 3D for the Amiga. The more followers you had, the more spells you could cast. The second game has a Greek mythology backdrop, as well as new spells and 1000 levels. They're very well received, but alas, I have played neither.

Populous 3 starts you as a shaman questing to become a god and wreak havoc upon her non-believers using a variety of follower classes and spells in 24 different levels, as you build up your tribe (with no name and colored blue) and destroy the Dakini (red), Matak (green) and Chumera (yellow).

It has a minimalist story, the only resource is wood and there are no unique benefits to each tribe. You can complete levels in a large variety of ways and I have sank hours upon hours just sitting in levels, making a huge settlement and listening to the sweet new age music. It can be fairly repetitive, but also therapeutic, though sometimes the enemy AI gets very frisky if levels go on for too long. And believe me, the AI is frisky enough as it is, something we'll see as we go across the various planetary scenarios in our quest for conquest.

One thing to note is that Populous was created by Peter Molyneux, who has a bit of controversy around him about his company, 22 Cans and his current project Godus, the 'successor' to Populous. Since Peter left Bullfrog before Populous 3 was made, there's no reason to talk about what he's doing now, so don't.

Each level will have its own video and if there are different, legitimate ways of completing a level, I'll upload an alternative method later on. If you have a method you'd like to see, bring it up and I'll see how viable it is. I'll probably make around 5-6 alternate videos.

A year after Populous 3 was made, it had an expansion, Undiscovered Worlds, that loosely follows on from this game. I will be covering that as well, as there's a lot of interesting levels and ideas contained within.

(Alternatives with DirtyDeedsDone)

(with DirtyDeedsDone)

(Main with DirtyDeedsDone)

Need more Populous? Then forums user OliveBranch did an LP a few years ago, where he also did thread challenges. He only got to Level 19 and is a muuuuuuch better player than me, but still, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7A3DE937BA405B58

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

EDIT: Hello from the archives, there's no need for this post anymore, it's still on the offsite archive if you're curious, this just saves me moving a lot of images to move from imgur to lpix. So yeah, I'm just lazy.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This game really brings me back. Will you be doing a quick run of all missions?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Practicing this game for the LP made me realize I'm pretty slow at this game, but there's no need to rush, 6-8 huts is usually enough population to beat each level, to find everything you need and to build up your forces. I'm not much of a speedrunner.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

New Update! Where things get dark, blustery and buzzy.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished this game a couple of times now and I didn't know about most of these keyboard shortcuts and timeskipping, wow.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh there's quite a list. Some will blow your mind. And then I'll never use them because I don't remember.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Populous 3. I loved this game as a kid, it's amazing what you can do with terrain here and the style is just adorable. You'll just feel so proud of your little people conquering, enslaving and torturing the rival tribes.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's remarkable how each of the enemy tribes seems to have its own personality and modus operandi, despite having essentially the same arsenal available to all of them.

You will always want the Dakini dead as soon as possible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

New Update! Where things are bright, sunny and... yellow.

Since the levels are so short I'm able to pump them out pretty quickly, but I know it won't last, nevertheless, I'm having a lot of fun doing these, so thanks for the support everyone!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, am I the only person weirded out that the tribes in Populous have Catholic looking priests, when everything else has the same quasi Native American feel to it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just because they needed to differ them visually from the shamans. Plus it works with the cutesy little people pretty well.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

If I wanted to differentiate them but also have them be slightly fitting in the setting, I would have modeled them after Jesuit Priests. That would have been a nice little nod to history.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, never really noticed that before. I guess it's so they really stand out when facing the enemy, since they're real dangerous, as we'll soon find out.

necroid
May 14, 2009

I used to play the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid, it was amazing at the time. You're doing a good job LPing it, just take your time to explain stuff and don't feel pressed to fill every second of the videos with useful explanations. The game has nice music so once you're done explaining everything you could just let it do its own thing, or get somebody to co-commentate if you feel like you don't have enough to say.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Heh. Happy to see this.

I played the Playstation conversion. Very minimalist interface. Highlight was the announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvVFslrw2M

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

necroid posted:

I used to play the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid, it was amazing at the time. You're doing a good job LPing it, just take your time to explain stuff and don't feel pressed to fill every second of the videos with useful explanations. The game has nice music so once you're done explaining everything you could just let it do its own thing, or get somebody to co-commentate if you feel like you don't have enough to say.

It's only because the levels are so short that I only really have time to explain what the level's about and then it's over. Level 6 is when things get longer, so I'll be able to slow down a bit. Co-commentater is also in the works and will be a semi-regular thing, I have plans.

Bloodly posted:

Heh. Happy to see this.

I played the Playstation conversion. Very minimalist interface. Highlight was the announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvVFslrw2M

Oh my god I have completed that game, I have lots of things to say about how terrible this port is. That'll be talked about in future. But yeah, the announcer was the absolute best part. Worst thing was how it took up an entire memory card, I have it around somewhere.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
This is one of my favourite games, though getting it running on modern systems can be a bit of a hassle at times (it works, it's just... buggy). I always got stuck on one of the later levels until the last Let's Play of this got me to retry the campaign, when I finally managed to outwit the AI and win.

There's a few levels that are just plain fun once you have certain spells and units.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

thedaian posted:

This is one of my favourite games, though getting it running on modern systems can be a bit of a hassle at times (it works, it's just... buggy). I always got stuck on one of the later levels until the last Let's Play of this got me to retry the campaign, when I finally managed to outwit the AI and win.

There's a few levels that are just plain fun once you have certain spells and units.

Ah yes, the previous LP is something that pops up in these videos' suggestions, by OliveBranch. He only got to Level 19, but go check it out, I was thinking of putting the link in the OP, I'm enjoying it.

Regardless, this is my LP now, so here's a new one.

:science:

Enough said.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well I'll be, everyone has gone off to watch the other LP. Oh well, still got mine to do, here's Level 5.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's a bit mean that the game shows you the second coolest spell in the game and then doesn't let you get it again for a while after. Angel of Death is one of the best things.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They do that with all the spells. After all, next level is when we temporarily obtain two of the best spells in the game. And also permanently get two of the best non-offensive spells in the game.

Basically, I really like level 6.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
The first time I tried doing this level using the land bridge method, the first bridge lifted up the entire hut with itself onto the bridge, and then blocked all my warriors from being able to go inside and trash it to get past.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think I've had that happen before, I wasn't even thinking when I cast them.

But we won't see it on camera, even though we're doing the same level again, it's time for some... alternatives. Click the button on the right to play some different ways, with good friend DirtyDeedsDone.

New level up tomorrow.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I think I've had that happen before, I wasn't even thinking when I cast them.

But we won't see it on camera, even though we're doing the same level again, it's time for some... alternatives. Click the button on the right to play some different ways, with good friend DirtyDeedsDone.

New level up tomorrow.

So, can almost any level be won conventionally then?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well any level can be completed how you want, but since the end goal for most is "kill all enemies", it kinda limits what you can do to complete the level. Since you can end Level 5 in two ways (dragons or kill dudes) and one way can be completed in two different methods (normal way and boat), I figure I'd show them both off, but it doesn't apply to every level, just a handful. So, if I can think of any methods, then I'll show them off, the next one I'm thinking probably won't be for a few levels.

But all levels will end if you kill every enemy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Updaaaaaaate.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 17, 2014

KnT
Jul 12, 2010
I loved renting this game for Playstation. Never got too far, though. I could never use Swamp effectively.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And here I thought the balancing factor of swamps was that you couldn't get rid of them.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

KnT posted:

I loved renting this game for Playstation. Never got too far, though. I could never use Swamp effectively.

I can assure you, the PS1 version is kinda bad, but it was my first time beating this game and thought it was kinda easy, so I tried it on PC which I couldn't get through before.
Swamp is best as a defensive spell, since enemies attack the base in a fairly predictable pattern, just let them walk right into it.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And here I thought the balancing factor of swamps was that you couldn't get rid of them.

I guess they never mention you can specifically (they might in the help section), but you cannot get rid of enemy Swamps as well as one specific instance in a future level. Another future level also balances Swamp out, whether it was intentional or not. :v:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Swamp is easily one of the best spells in the game. It makes it possible to turtle in the game, since the AI is really simplistic and will only attack via scripted routes. I usually wall myself in with swamps and then build a massive settlement before attacking all out. Or I use the Shaman to rain destruction once you start getting more offensive spells.

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, can almost any level be won conventionally then?

Assuming "conventionally" means "build huts, build army, beat level", then sort of. Without spoiling anything, there's three levels that are basically "puzzle" levels, including level 5, where you're on a timer and you have to beat the level fairly quick, and there's basically an ideal strategy for doing it. There's also likely some alternate methods for each level as well.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yes, levels 5, 10 and 15 are puzzles. I'm also thinking there's alternative methods for levels 5, 10, 14, 16, 17 and 18, so if anyone can think of anymore I'll be happy to give them a go.
And I will be going through the levels fairly conventionally, as the game expects you to, but skip a few steps if that takes too long, such as we never saw the Matak attack in Level 4, or have them "attack" the Chumera in Level 6.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Seems competent AI in this game is invisible, hyuk hyuk hyuk. Update!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 17, 2014

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
This game will always have a special place in my heart, even though I was just little when I played it and I don't think I ever got past the Angel of Death mission. I'm really amazed at how well the graphics have held up, it's a pretty game.

Really enjoying your LP, just watched all the videos in one go.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

This game will always have a special place in my heart, even though I was just little when I played it and I don't think I ever got past the Angel of Death mission. I'm really amazed at how well the graphics have held up, it's a pretty game.

Really enjoying your LP, just watched all the videos in one go.

Thanks! I think a lot of people watching played this game when they were younger. Same for me, but I just kept playing. I found it hard but then I stopped freaking out every time the enemy attacked and overall, the main game isn't that hard. Undiscovered Worlds is a bit tougher, but I guess I haven't played it as much to learn all the ins and outs.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
When i played the game on my playstation for the first time, i spent an hour on the first level spamming the landbridge spell to create lands for more huts and thought the game was awesome. Then i realized i could go kill those other guys with my hundred dudes. Then the game got ever more fun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You're giving me ideas. :getin:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And now the unit triangle is complete and the game is no longer weirdly balanced.

Also, I dig the way Fire Warriors launch blasts into the air during their victory dance.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
You kind of glossed over it a bit, but Magical Shield also grants near/total immunity for your troops from enemy Firewarrior blasts, they will still shoot at your dudes but it won't be reflected, just absorbed. Magic shielded Firewarriors are just obnoxious to holy hell and thats not counting a certain thing that you can do later in the game with them.

Also Fire in the Mist, one of my now favorite and used to be most hated levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Koboje posted:

Also Fire in the Mist, one of my now favorite and used to be most hated levels.

Fire in the Mist is still one of my more hated levels. Mostly because it's possible to get quite screwed if you let the enemy shaman in.

One comment on Erode, it actually has a good usage range, but you're not meant to cast it right next to water. If you cast it a bit further back from the shore, it'll sink that land down to sea level. It's still a fairly slow spell, but it's one of my favourites. I use it a lot in later levels to wipe out portions of the enemy's settlements.

• Locked thread