Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
:siren: We're full! :siren:

:megaman: MLB108969 :megaman:

I've let my job, and recently the hopelessly addictive WWE Network, push this back for far too long. Let's get this show on the road.

Credit for this intro goes to ThatsMyBoye:

SKIP THIS PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT SIM LEAGUE BASEBALL IS ALL ABOUT

Ever dream of that perfect game? The perfect match-up of teams across time? Ever dreamed of the '27 Yankees taking on the '75 Reds in PNC Park? Gehrig, Ruth, and Lazzeri matching wits and bats with Bench, Rose, and Morgan in one of the prettiest baseball stadiums ever built?

What if it happened?

Such is the premise of WhatIfSports, a sportsman's sandbox for all sports, not just baseball.

Here's what you get:

By default, you have $80 million to spend on any pitcher or batter you want. From any team, any year. As recent as this year, or as far back as the turn of the century.

Drafting

You have 25 roster spots to fill and create your team. Any pitcher who has ever thrown a ball to a catcher in a ML game is available (25+ IP). Similarly, any hitter with at least 50 PAs is yours for the taking.

Want an outfield of Ruth, Junior Griffey, and Teddy Ballgame? It's yours! A rotation of Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, and Ryan? Sure! If it fits under the cap, it's your team.

In the end, you'll end up working with something like this:

Post-Draft

Once your team is complete, named, and placed in a ballpark (any park ever played in is available to house your team. Even if it's been demolished!) it will be placed in one of two leagues of 12 teams that will be randomly sorted

You can customize your lineup, rotation and pitcher roles, player rest hierarchies and protocols, baserunning and defensive strategies, managerial tactics, and more. The intricacies really are nuts.

Depending on the league, you'll even have prospects you can call up. Plus, you'll have award races to argue over.

Each "season" lasts about 7 weeks, followed by playoffs. Three games are simmed per day: ~1:30am EST, ~1:30pm EST, and ~6:30pm EST (times are approximate) in a full 162-game season. Box scores for every at bat of every game are available by clicking the game's score below the standings. Top teams make playoffs, and there will be a champ.

To start, you'll need to do a basic site account registration. No big deal. 5 minutes.

There are free versions of SimLeagues for every sport, but the seasons are truncated and do not include many of the features of a full season. Use it to get acquainted with the basics if you need to. You can run a trial team at the same time as a full team.

:siren: The cost for one season is $12.95, payable either through credit/debit or PayPal. :siren:

You can win credits to apply toward free seasons or other merch by getting to the playoffs, winning a playoff series, and winning it all.

We'll need 24 teams to start this, but we can have up to 30.

Past Champions
S1: GoatSeeGuy
S2: angrygodofjebus
S3: gyroball
S4: Marquis de Pyro
S5: ThatsMyBoye
S6: ThatsMyBoye
S7: Goetta
S8: Doran Doran
S9: whateverfor
S10: toadee
S11: AlleyViper
S12: AccidentUnderwater
S13: AccidentUnderwater
S14: AlleyViper
S15: male.bi.unix (TRIPLES!!!)
S16: Power of Pecota
S17: male.bi.unix
S18: atheistdeals.com
S19: Ivan Drago
S20: foolish_fool (sub-.500!!!)
S21: Zamboni Jesus
S22: NutShellbill
S23: atheistdeals.com
S24: toadee
S25: YOU??

This season's tweaks and theme rules:

The Theme
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. READ THIS THOROUGHLY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk

Back From the Dead

Things are mostly going to be pretty simple this season. 24 players on your roster will be player seasons from the past 25 seasons (since this is S25 and all). The 25th player, however, will be someone who has died, risen from the grave, just like Sim Leagues. Unfortunately, your zombie player must have died within the last 25 years. Sorry, Addie, but your body is just too decomposed to effectively throw a ball over the plate. That's it! That's the theme!

Well, mostly. You must also designate one of your 24 living players as your Necromancer. The player season that you draft for your Necromancer must be from the same franchise as the player season of your zombie. So if you want to use Ron Santo as your zombie and Greg Maddux as your Necromancer, you must use one of Maddux's Cubs seasons. Your Necromancer must also be a season with at least 500 PAs or 150 IP.

e: zombies will be eligible if they died from 1989 up to the day the league starts. Ralph Kiner: fair game. If someone dies tomorrow: fair game.

The league options:

* All non-zombie players will be player seasons from 1989-2013
* The cap will be $95mm
* We will use a DH, this way if you pick a particularly decrepit zombie hitter, he can hold up for the entire season!
* The waiver wire and trades will both be enabled. Injuries are enabled. Important to note: if you cut or trade either your zombie or necromancer, you will be ineligible for the playoffs. You can still reacquire them if you lose them before the season ends. Similarly, claimed WW players must living players. No zombies.
* We *will* use AAA players, below average quality.
* Clones will only be allowed if your zombie also played within the last 25 years. So if for some odd reason you really want to use two Darryl Kiles, now's your chance.
* Your ballpark will be the ballpark that your zombie played in for the chosen season. Choose wisely!

The league ID will be generated after everyone has signed up and I have created the league.

The List:
1. AlleyViper
2. Pumpkin McPastry
3. jeffersonlives
4. male.bi.unix. Wade Boggs
5. Accident Underwater
6. kensei
7. zamboni jesus
8. Devo
9. toadee
10. mentholmoose
11. Capt Murphy
12. gardenald
13. evilbeard
14. Manifunk Destiny
15. nerokerubina
16. the broken bones
17. Ivan Drago
18. atheistdeals.com
19. NutShellBill
20. Bob Shabazz
21. Fair Game
22. angrygodofjebus
23. gyroball
24. uublog

As always, if there are any questions or comments, feel free to throw them at me.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
I'm so in.

E: Jeffersonlives wants in also.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Wade Boggs

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Obviously in

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Posting in 3D and I can't even read the theme.

In!

e: do we just post our zombies/necromancers now? neither exclusive?

kensei fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 16, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
yes

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm in. Zombies aren't exclusive, right?

e: are the forums all hosed up for anyone else?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

You know I am in this

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

I'm in. Zombies aren't exclusive, right?

Nope! We can have 24 Catfish Hunters if it shakes out that way.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, I'm in.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'm in.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
ahahaa an altered beast theme league I'm so in

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
in this beast.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
hello yes sports

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
in

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I'm in.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I have returned to continue my dominance.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Art says he's backing out.

Who's buying it?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Hmmm... I have no money and a new job (that isn't paying yet) that resulted in my not checking HBD for an entire weekend so I clearly can not afford this in any way, shape, or form, but... WiS is a harmful drug that I couldn't just quit cold turkey even if I wanted to. (I'd also hate to miss a WW/AAA/DH/injury season.) Ugh I guess I'll be an alternate if you need to get to a playable number of teams?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I am in, gonna resurrect the dead and Christian Guzman: Superstar all at once.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Obviously in

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Wow really, stalled at 19?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

Wow really, stalled at 19?

It's only been a couple of days and a lot of regulars haven't checked in. Patience.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I'm going to skip this season sorry.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

It seems like this might be a good season to jump in as someone who has never done What If Sports (?)... since the player pool is skewed towards recent players (which I know more about).

Also the blurb says choose your zombie wisely because you are wedded to his park... does the home park affect that much?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

JackssWastedLife posted:

It seems like this might be a good season to jump in as someone who has never done What If Sports (?)... since the player pool is skewed towards recent players (which I know more about).

Also the blurb says choose your zombie wisely because you are wedded to his park... does the home park affect that much?

Short answer is yes it can. But usually only on the extreme ends. There's plenty of neutralish parks you can choose from. For example you don't want to put a team that doesn't hit any doubles into Fenway Park since it's +4 to that, and you don't want to put an all doubles team into Dodger Stadium since it's -4. But either of those teams could possibly play fine in Citizens Bank Park with its 0 doubles modifier.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I'm in. Don't know who's coming back to life, but I'm in.

As always, CaptCanada on What if sports.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
In it.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Devo posted:

Short answer is yes it can. But usually only on the extreme ends. There's plenty of neutralish parks you can choose from. For example you don't want to put a team that doesn't hit any doubles into Fenway Park since it's +4 to that, and you don't want to put an all doubles team into Dodger Stadium since it's -4. But either of those teams could possibly play fine in Citizens Bank Park with its 0 doubles modifier.

the more significant factor i think is with pitching, like extreme pitchers parks you can get away with far fewer innings and badder pitchers. i'm bad at picking parks though and play in the skydome like 90% of the time because blue jays for life.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm assuming AAA is 6/2 rather than 6/4? Probably a dumb question but it doesn't specify.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the more significant factor i think is with pitching, like extreme pitchers parks you can get away with far fewer innings and badder pitchers. i'm bad at picking parks though and play in the skydome like 90% of the time because blue jays for life.

I found one particular park that I love and even though I built a team that I think is strong I kind of want to change my zombie just to get up in there. Even though the zombie options from there pretty much suck.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, park factor can be a pretty big deal, not just because there are some parks that you can build gimmick teams around (Petco, Mile High, Dodger Stadium, Fenway, etc), but also because it's really easy to damage your entire team by not picking a suitable park for them.

Generally when you're building a team you want to either have a particular park in mind ("I am using Wrigley so I will pick guys who specifically fit it") or a particular type ("I am going to squelch dingers so I'll choose the best fit for my hitters out of Astrodome, Target Field or Municipal Stadium")

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Alternatively, you can do what I do which is to throw your team together at the last second with absolutely no planning and win 75-85 games every season.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

gardenald posted:

Alternatively, you can do what I do which is to throw your team together at the last second with absolutely no planning and win 75-85 games every season.

i won a world series with one of those teams!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i am ready.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I haven't done a WiS league with AAA players before; how does that affect how many innings and PA's you need to draft?

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Your players feel threatened by the presence of AAA guys waiting in the wings, so they try harder, but they get hurt more.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

mentholmoose posted:

I haven't done a WiS league with AAA players before; how does that affect how many innings and PA's you need to draft?

You can get away with a little less but these are below average AAA players we're using so don't expect any team saviors.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

JackssWastedLife posted:

So should I count you as officially in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

So should I count you as officially in?

I think I'm going to pass. I have two regular fantasy money leagues for the season, so I have a lot of time committed to baseball already. Maybe if one of my teams implodes I'll be in for the next WiS "season".

Thanks

• Locked thread