Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Ivan Drago posted:

I politely reject these results and would like to schedule a do-over.

SAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

live owns. always play playoffs live.

mbu can back me up here

agreed.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Devo posted:

Winning games in the regular season is overrated IMO

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Bob needs to win for 81-81 World Series

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My team got put into the $110 mil ToC and it's going to get murdered so drat bad.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh 10 hits and I lost 1-0.

Three game series now.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Not a good outing by Weaver there. Congrats Manifunk.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Holy poop this team actually won :stare:

Good series Devo, good season all.

So what's next season's theme? I've got a suggestion if there isn't a set one: division all star teams. Everyone gets a division and a year (starting in the Wild Card era, which I believe was 1995). $80mil, DH depends on league, stadium has to be from that division. This may work best with a blacklist too so we don't have a zillion Madduxes and Pedro's and Bondses

E: also, all star rules apply: every franchise in the division must have 1 representative

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 23, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
anybody wanna play another season?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The broken bones posted:

anybody wanna play another season?

Rule V!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I Am Down With This Post

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Yes this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'll run it if AV wants a break

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I've never entirely understood how Rule V works, only tangentially hearing about the Rule V league, but I've wanted to try it for years because I feel left out when I'm not involved in things. So I'm up for that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Here's a post from WiS about Rule V

quote:

Originally created many moons ago by examinerebb, this league makes any franchise a contender (the Angels and Twins have won recently), and a better group of owners can't be found on the site. There is much good-natured banter in the draft thread and the league chat, so bring your sense of humor. The rules are simple:

1. Each owner chooses a franchise. Franchise draft order is in inverse order of win percentage from the previous season for non-playoff teams, then inverse order of win percentage of non-World Series playoff teams, with the WS runner-up picking 23rd, and the WS champ choosing last. New owners will be assigned the draft position of any previous owners who are not returning, with the first to sign up receiving the highest slot, and so on. Division alignment will be determined by the commissioner after team selection is complete. We will attempt to keep divisions as close to real life as possible. Geography will be the first factor, but we will also attempt to maintain traditional rivalries if possible.

2. Each owner chooses five players he/she wishes to protect from that franchise (1969-2013) and submits that list via sitemail to me. Those players are the exclusive property of their respective owners.

3. After all lists are submitted, they will be posted and a three round modified Rule V draft will be held, with draft order being inverse order of each franchise's Rule V win percentage through all legs from which we have data (the worst teams pick first). Many thanks to schwarze for compiling this data. Each owner selects one unprotected player from any active franchise but their own (player seasons for franchises that were not chosen are not eligible). That player is also theirs exclusively. No more than two players may be taken from any one franchise in any one round.

4. At the end of the first and second rounds, each owner will choose an additional player they wish to protect. You will end up protecting seven in all, while drafting three. These ten players must appear on your roster. The rest of the roster is filled by players from your franchise during the given time period (1969-present day).

$120 Million Cap
No trades
No WW
No DH
No AAA

No clones (same player, same franchise - if a player played for more than one franchise, he is available once for each franchise)
If a player split time between multiple teams in a season (as listed at WIS) his full season is available once for each team
SLL limited to current series
Stadium must have been used by your franchise for at least one full season between 1969 and 2013
Tiebreaker for draft positions will be run differential from the previous season, worse differential picks first

For those new to the Rule V fold:

There is much good-natured ribbing during the draft (we try not to be too player-specific, so as not to influence the draft, but sometimes the temptation is too much). Do not take it personally. Pick a draft strategy and stay the course, regardless.

I think the last time we were going to make it a little more restrictive, but this could be a fine outline.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah that sounds p fun

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

If we do rule V, i'll probably sit this season out too. I got tired of the theme after doing it like 3 times, and also i'd hold all of you up since I really can't get on at work.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I'm down for anything as always.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Draft order

code:
Rank	Franchise	Years	_Wins_	Losses	Wining%
1	Rays 		5	314	496	0.3877
2	D'backs 	11	769	1013	0.4315
3	Tigers		16	1144	1448	0.4414
4	Pirates		15	1123	1307	0.4621
5	White Sox	8	610	686	0.4707
6	Rockies		11	858	924	0.4815
7	Twins		21	1643	1760	0.4828
8	Rangers		18	1412	1505	0.4841
9	Blue Jays	22	1742	1823	0.4886
10	Angels		16	1270	1322	0.4900
11	Orioles		20	1594	1647	0.4918
12	Brewers		21	1689	1716	0.4960
13	Padres		22	1772	1792	0.4972
14	Expos		26	2101	2114	0.4985
15	Marlins		17	1375	1381	0.4989
16	Mariners	25	2035	2016	0.5023
17	Phillies	26	2128	2087	0.5049
18	Cubs		18	1479	1437	0.5072
19	Mets		24	1975	1914	0.5078
20	Braves		25	2058	1992	0.5081
21	Giants		25	2061	1990	0.5088
22	Indians		26	2145	2068	0.5091
23	Red Sox		26	2150	2063	0.5103
24	Reds		20	1673	1568	0.5162
25	Royals		23	1932	1795	0.5184
26	Cardinals	26	2193	2020	0.5205
27	Yankees		22	1875	1689	0.5261
28	Dodgers		25	2160	1891	0.5332
29	A's		26	2281	1932	0.5414
30	Astros		26	2298	1915	0.5455

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I feel the need to reiterate that I'd really like to do this for S26 and would happily assist kensei if AV is too busy living his awesome life.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i'll probably play regardless but i'm not particularly keen on doing rule v

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Goon Rule V is a fair bit different than the forum league since I did 100m cap and three potential thefts instead of two in the past. I'd certainly be down for it since the early response is favorable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Goon Rule V is a fair bit different than the forum league since I did 100m cap and three potential thefts instead of two in the past. I'd certainly be down for it since the early response is favorable.

I'm good with whatever, I mentioned above making it more restrictive and that sounds like a good way to do it with Goons.

Speaking of response, Jeff will play as per the Twitter

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AlleyViper posted:

i don't like the cap that low but I do like shaking it up from forum rule 5 in other ways (3 steals is good)

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Nerokerubina posted:

i don't like the cap that low but I do like shaking it up from forum rule 5 in other ways (3 steals is good)

Agreed, I feel like $100m is too low but I think 3 thefts is fair. Make those five keepers count!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

A lower cap makes scrub teams like the Rays and Rockies a little more viable

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Devo posted:

A lower cap makes scrub teams like the Rays and Rockies a little more viable

it doesn't magically give them good pitching. low cap erodes what makes rule 5 cool - "use the best players from your really limited pool". i admit there are, like, 3-4 teams that might not be viable but the three steal rule will force the tippy top teams back to the pack a bit so that'll be nice.

like, the only teams that are out-and-out unplayable are the rays, the d'backs, and maaaaaaaaaaybe the white sox???

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I mean I'll play either way but some of these teams get pretty silly at 120 mil. Even with three steals teams like the Dodgers can magic together a 120 mil pitching staff pretty easily. Plus I always find it more interesting when lesser used players get thrown into a league.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I am down but I am also out of the country for a week starting tomorrow. So, if this gets off the ground, put me on the drat list I have no idea how to internet without cell data anymore.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I was buying a new team and looking at the SLB promo screen just for fun and I forgot that jeff's testimonial is there. I still love that.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i'm down for rule v. Love That League

as far as cap goes 100 or 120 both sound fine to me, 120 gives teams like the a's and dodgers an advantage but i don't think it's enough to really gently caress poo poo up as far as goon leagues go. if twfan was in here i'd say 100 for his own protection but he isn't, so

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Is there a cap that gives you a natural advantage in the ToC based on the structure of that tournament? I've never understood how that gets pieced together.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ivan Drago posted:

Is there a cap that gives you a natural advantage in the ToC based on the structure of that tournament? I've never understood how that gets pieced together.

Strong ToC teams are near the cap for their tournament with no DH and no real filler. Even though my ToC tournament hasn't started I can tell you I'm going to get blasted because

A) I'm spending money on 9 position players when I can only use 8
B) I'm spending money on AAA guys that are pretty lovely
C) I'm not really that close to the 110 mil cap I got put into

Theme leagues that put out strong ToC teams have no DH and no AAA. That way you're using all your assigned cap with no waste.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

i won a ToC with a DH team but it was a very strangely constructed one so

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Devo posted:

Strong ToC teams are near the cap for their tournament with no DH and no real filler. Even though my ToC tournament hasn't started I can tell you I'm going to get blasted because

A) I'm spending money on 9 position players when I can only use 8
B) I'm spending money on AAA guys that are pretty lovely
C) I'm not really that close to the 110 mil cap I got put into

Theme leagues that put out strong ToC teams have no DH and no AAA. That way you're using all your assigned cap with no waste.

not that this will prevent you from getting swept by some schlub 1952 yankees team in the first round for no apparent reason though

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

i won a ToC with a DH team but it was a very strangely constructed one so

specifically this was in a WISC league where none of your guys could have over 600 PAs. i went weird a weird nearly-full platoon thing. deion sanders was involved.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
I'd be happy to use my winnings from this past season in a Rule V.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'm happy to start a Rule V if we are not doing S26 soon.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=22932811&pid=2&pbp=0

1-0, baby, 1-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Good luck Devo :allears:

kensei posted:

I'm happy to start a Rule V if we are not doing S26 soon.

Should I start a thread?

• Locked thread