Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

kensei posted:

No, you should maximize every dollar you can.

We are using the waiver wire in this league so that's not 100% fact, but you do pay a 10% penalty on waiver pickups that you don't pay on your initial roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Devo posted:

We are using the waiver wire in this league so that's not 100% fact, but you do pay a 10% penalty on waiver pickups that you don't pay on your initial roster.

That's pretty much the reason I replied as such.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Do I post the roster here when done, or should I wait until the league is created?

I really like my team. It will probably finish last.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

FairGame posted:

Do I post the roster here when done, or should I wait until the league is created?

I really like my team. It will probably finish last.

I'd suggest posting it here and seeing what others think. My first team was an utter disaster because DINGERS BABY.

edit: Speaking of, I've been sitting on this team for a couple weeks. I retooled the outfield just so I could use Mike Trout, which I'm pretty sure is always a solid move.

Really want to make a defense team work. Guess we'll see?

Capt Murphy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 19, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Alright so apparently I'm #24, cool. Finance tip: Throwing away money that you don't have in a vain and futile attempt to win it back is a good + fun idea

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
You're going to have a billion WIS credits when you win the Dimaggio WS, don't worry.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

AlleyViper posted:

You're going to have a billion WIS credits when you win the Dimaggio WS, don't worry.

Hahahaha oh boy I think the details of my bet with Art stipulate that I got something around there if I win the series*, I'd be set for life!

*not really but I really regret not putting that in now, poo poo

relatedly, in things that would get reactions from art: I'm kind of considering zombie-ing Jose Lima and now that thought came to me, I almost can't not do that

ok it took me looking at his performance history to decide not to do that

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 19, 2014

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Nope those are my creds.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Go Go Go

:megaman: MLB108969 :megaman:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Good to go go go!

Now, the waiting game. And the hope that my AAA players are better than 200k specials.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a grade A moron and didn't notice that this league has a DH so I had to completely start from scratch.

Let the plus plays commence.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

this is what I was toying with tonight

(psst it's an Astrodome Speed team)

obviously subject to change if anyone tells me to in the vein of giving advice

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

So is range more important than glove for fielding? I was more focused on glove, but it would certainly force a rethink if it's the other way around.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Probably not gonna be in until Monday.

I have an insane shell going though, with Kirby Puckett as my zombie.

It's a really bad idea.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Capt Murphy posted:

So is range more important than glove for fielding?

It depends on how you're trying to build your team, player pool, price, etc., but broadly speaking yes.

Like, if you're working with a major deadball pitching staff, '89 HoJo is basically the best SS you can take despite his D--- range, because he can literally play an entire season behind deadballers and not make an error. Since deadballers cause your fielders to make more errors, that's huge.

With range, though, the key is making sure you get real A+++ range guys. Not all A+ ranges are made equal. 2007 Tulowitzki (6.50 RRF) is going to make a bunch more + plays than 2005 Rafael Furcal (5.69). What you typically want to aim for is 6+ RRF at 2B and SS, 3+ for CF and as close to a 4 as possible at 3B.

If you've got top notch range guys then a decent way of framing things is that an A+/B fielder will not provide as much value as a B/A+ fielder. But when you start factoring in player costs, how you're building your pitching staff, how far down the scale your glove/range are actually ranging and any number of other things the answer isn't quite so simple.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

AlleyViper posted:

It depends on how you're trying to build your team, player pool, price, etc., but broadly speaking yes.

Like, if you're working with a major deadball pitching staff, '89 HoJo is basically the best SS you can take despite his D--- range, because he can literally play an entire season behind deadballers and not make an error. Since deadballers cause your fielders to make more errors, that's huge.

With range, though, the key is making sure you get real A+++ range guys. Not all A+ ranges are made equal. 2007 Tulowitzki (6.50 RRF) is going to make a bunch more + plays than 2005 Rafael Furcal (5.69). What you typically want to aim for is 6+ RRF at 2B and SS, 3+ for CF and as close to a 4 as possible at 3B.

If you've got top notch range guys then a decent way of framing things is that an A+/B fielder will not provide as much value as a B/A+ fielder. But when you start factoring in player costs, how you're building your pitching staff, how far down the scale your glove/range are actually ranging and any number of other things the answer isn't quite so simple.

This is what I'm trying, since it's the closest thing to my BBM Super League team.

...how do I join? Do I need to pay them the 12.95 before I can find our league? Sorry, never done this before.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

FairGame posted:

This is what I'm trying, since it's the closest thing to my BBM Super League team.

...how do I join? Do I need to pay them the 12.95 before I can find our league? Sorry, never done this before.

Yeah you have to buy a team first, then when you go to start drafting put the league number AV posted into the box for existing theme leagues.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Any objections to this before I pull the trigger?

Mantle's the zombie, Henderson's the necromancer.

Can't do deadball pitchers since it's 1989-Present, so I took a bunch of guys skilled at getting ground balls/no dingers and put a top-notch infield defense behind them. Mantle's Yankee Stadium should help reduce homers, and there's (I think) sufficient speed in the outfield to cut off nasty XBHs.

Napoli's a poo poo defensive catcher, but Hernandez is very good and can take his spot. Braun's a butcher at 3rd but he still hit his rookie year and I'm planning to DH him.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You've got way too much money on your bench and not nearly enough in your rotation. Since we're using AAA the strategy is to draft eight minimum salary scrubs if you have the PA/IP to get away with it. That pitching staff is going to get murdered as is.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
One of the more helpful things people told me when I was learning to play in terms of PAs is to use as a rough guide - think of your lineup needing a certain amount of PAs at each slot with 700-720 at leadoff and then decreasing as you go down.

A guy with ~580-600 PAs can pretty much play every game in the 9 slot.

If you're paying for too many PAs, the quality is going to go down.

Then tweak all of this according to your park -- i.e. PETCO = more outs = fewer PAs, Coors = fewer outs, more PAs, etc.

So right now you have like ~750 catcher PAs and what...1100 3B PAs? You aren't going to use all of those.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

One of the more helpful things people told me when I was learning to play in terms of PAs is to use as a rough guide - think of your lineup needing a certain amount of PAs at each slot with 700-720 at leadoff and then decreasing as you go down.

A guy with ~580-600 PAs can pretty much play every game in the 9 slot.

If you're paying for too many PAs, the quality is going to go down.

Then tweak all of this according to your park -- i.e. PETCO = more outs = fewer PAs, Coors = fewer outs, more PAs, etc.

So right now you have like ~750 catcher PAs and what...1100 3B PAs? You ahe oren't going to use all of those.

The additional 3b PAs are so Braun can DH; he's never going to play the field. So yeah, I'm going to use all those 3b PAs.

But I'm guessing you're spot-on with the other stuff. I'll readjust.

When do I need to have this done?

Is 6mm on the bench really an overinvestment? Yikes.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
I did forget about the DH - we usually don't use one.

But yeah, think of it this way - You have like ~200 PAs of Brendan Ryan and I assume it's purely to spell Tulo. You don't need to spend $1 million on that, especially when you'll have a AAA shortstop who's roughly as good as Brendan Ryan for free.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Also you have like 550 OF PA on your bench which will definitely not get used. Reinvest the money on your pitching, which is going to die as is. $200k guys (the cheapest available) are great for being warm bodies because they free up money for your more important players. Even with AAA this season my current setup has a $200k reliever for mopup duty, and $200k hitters as 75% of my bench, plus it gives me guys to send down if I get a AAA who's maybe not terrible.

Capt Murphy posted:

So is range more important than glove for fielding? I was more focused on glove, but it would certainly force a rethink if it's the other way around.

I got a lot of range because I made RRF a priority, using the baselines that AV mentioned. I have no idea how they would play, but it seems like it would be fun to see.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I need a ruling: for necromancers, do they need to be from the same franchise or the same city?

Specifically, if I want Municipal Stadium from the KC A's era, do I need a Royal or an Oakland A as my necromancer?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame posted:

I need a ruling: for necromancers, do they need to be from the same franchise or the same city?

Specifically, if I want Municipal Stadium from the KC A's era, do I need a Royal or an Oakland A as my necromancer?

gently caress it; it doesn't matter.

I just submitted my roster which will likely be a massive failure, but I need to experience the failure before I can learn.

Moe Drabowsky of the 1963 KC A's is my zombie.
Depending on whether I need a Royal or an Oakland A as a necromancer, I have both 89 Henderson (A's) and 03 Beltran (Royals) so I should be fine either way.

Going for crazy high OBP and shitloads of steals. Have good range in my OF and terrible infield defense (other than Ozzie). Pitching are dudes that struck out shitloads of batters and also tended to be a bit HR-prone, since Municipal Stadium should help alleviate that particular Achilles.

I really have no idea what the hell I'm going but hopefully it's fun.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Thats the spirit. FYI my first team was a really bad team that was all Cubs players and somehow Corey Patterson had a really good year and I made the LCS.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
My first team was absolute garbage, but it was a quick learning curve.

As for this current team, I'm about to go into finals and exiting out of my work at a homeless shelter, so I'm probably not gonna have my team in for a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can find the time between now and May 7, though.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I was done but then I realized Freddie Sanchez was my highest paid hitter and that didn't seem to spell world series.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Travis Fryman is mine, so uh, guess I'm not destined for the World Series either:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

As defending champ I have to make the stupidest team possible ok?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

George Brett is dead????

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I get bonus points for using Bruce Campbell as my risen dead.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

Groovy.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Had a peek at my AAA players, and Nick Punto appears to be the best of them, according to the rename option. Here's hoping that changes!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Ivan Drago posted:

only if you call your team The Evil Dead II

NutShellBill posted:

Had a peek at my AAA players, and Nick Punto appears to be the best of them, according to the rename option. Here's hoping that changes!

but....he's so gritty!!!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Devo posted:

George Brett is dead????

I'm not actually sure how that happened since all of my searches have '89 in them...

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

uublog posted:

only if you call your team The Evil Dead II

but....he's so gritty!!!

Well yeah, that's why he's my best AAA player. Grit is good for a WAR of at least 10, right?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
How exactly do the AAA players work anyways? Are their performances based off their rookie year, or overall career, or what?

I've got Ken Holtzman, who could be interesting, and Jiggs Donahue, whose name is Jiggs, but nobody else seems like they'd be useful.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Here's a dumb team for Kaufman I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

mentholmoose posted:

How exactly do the AAA players work anyways? Are their performances based off their rookie year, or overall career, or what?

I've got Ken Holtzman, who could be interesting, and Jiggs Donahue, whose name is Jiggs, but nobody else seems like they'd be useful.

IIRC, it depends on the level of talent set up by the league. In this case, bet low.

Guys with one year of baseball to their name you can look up, the rest you have to guess.

You get one "Starting" pitcher and one reliever as a rule, so that can help narrow things down, and you probably should count on non-career years from the positional guys or 200k seasons. Unless their careers are so bad that you can't really tell the difference.

Edit: Since we're using "Below average" players you can count on your players being from years where their net worth was under 1.5479 million.

Ergo: Ken Holtzman will be 1977 or 1978, and pretty much on mop up duty. Jiggs Donahue might be a servicable PH/DH though. By deadball standards.

Actaully... seeing this in action makes me want to rework my team and get a real DH. One moment, please.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 24, 2014

• Locked thread