Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

... Am I missing something here? I swear that 2 episode special (Path of Thorns) came out in the summer, because I remember watching it a while ago on Crunchyroll.

It's still on Crunchyroll:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/mushi-shi/mushi-shi-the-next-passage-special-path-of-thorns-659833

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode was amazing! I'm kind of surprised that wasn't a finale, as "you belong no matter where you are in the world" is a great way to sum up Ginko's character.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

New episode was amazing! I'm kind of surprised that wasn't a finale, as "you belong no matter where you are in the world" is a great way to sum up Ginko's character.

God drat I love this show more and more. Definitely my favourite anime. This episode in particular really hit the feels hard.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I expected the beginnings of Ginko's character arc before he matures into the calm collected veteran he is now.

I sure as hell wasn't expecting him to gently caress up that badly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's really great to have this show back, hopefully with no more production issues.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think that, if you are going to have production issues, the best solution is what they did, just delay a few weeks. I prefer waiting 2-3 weeks and have something of quality forever than having it early and being mediocre for all eternity.

And yeah, great episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Did they ever mention the mushi-repellent cigs before? I always thought Ginko smoked because he liked it, and because it was part of his "new age" look.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Did they ever mention the mushi-repellent cigs before? I always thought Ginko smoked because he liked it, and because it was part of his "new age" look.
It was definitely mentioned in the first season at some point.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
In the first episode of the first season, Ginko uses the smoke from his cigarette to momentarily entangle the mushi spirit-girl.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ViggyNash posted:

In the market episode, Ginko stocks up on a year's supply of cigarettes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, I don't remember those bits. Been a while, I guess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! Love the way they play with the formula with this one. Not much mushi and not much of Ginko but the same themes are touched upon and it's genuinely really creepy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Finally got caught up, and I have to say: Goddamn this anime is so great. Lots of complex feels in this series

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The real creeping sense of dread from the suspicion that you'd forgotten something was when I realised that they didn't have the OP song.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Man, this episode was heavy. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for the man. He finally turns away from the tunnel, but is he now going to have to relive his wife dying, only to "save her" with the mushi?

This episode really scared me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit, I just watched Edge of Tomorrow for the second time yesterday and I was not ready for more time-looping.

Great episode, but an existentially terrifying future.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

unpronounceable posted:

Man, this episode was heavy. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for the man. He finally turns away from the tunnel, but is he now going to have to relive his wife dying, only to "save her" with the mushi?

The man's gone. He became one with the Kairou. The woman is the subject of the looping now.

She'll meet him in her past, of course, but it'll just be the him from then, no consciousness carrying over. As for whether it'll happen again, who knows? Ginko said no one had ever managed to change their past before, but he didn't say it was impossible.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

unpronounceable posted:

I felt like the way it shifted perspective at the end to Kaoru's wife suggested to me that he was no longer a conscious part of the loop. Which is bad, because she never had any direct interaction with Ginko, it was always her husband. In trying to save her life, Kaoru doomed her to repeat her entire life over and over again until finally merging with the mushi [whatever that entails].

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I have a question. The man had yellow eyes and the woman had dark eyes. However, after the man's final time loop, in his wife's memories he has blue eyes and she had yellow eyes. Does that mean the past has changed or is it something else?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brutakas posted:

I have a question. The man had yellow eyes and the woman had dark eyes. However, after the man's final time loop, in his wife's memories he has blue eyes and she had yellow eyes. Does that mean the past has changed or is it something else?

Good attention there. It probably just means that he finally got eaten and not sent back. Since she only got into the tunnel because he took her there knowingly, this might be the last iteration unless the man finds the tunnel mushi again.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't see why you guys think this is scary. I interpreted it as the man loving his wife so much that he's willing to give up something a lot of people want, being able to relive the past, just to experience new things with her. And at the end, he willingly sacrifices his own consciousness so that she might live. GODDAMN THE FEELS

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Because it is actually a man dooming his wife to being eaten because he can't handle losing her.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

paragon1 posted:

Because it is actually a man dooming his wife to being eaten because he can't handle losing her.

Why does that matter? She was going to die anyway, and since the guy broke out of the cycle, so can she. I believe that this will happen.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Why does that matter? She was going to die anyway, and since the guy broke out of the cycle, so can she. I believe that this will happen.

Ginko said that after a number of loops, the person becomes part of the mushi. Since only his wife experiences the loop, he is gone. What we see is an alternate version of the husband who isn't affected by the mushi, but not the same one.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lurking Haro posted:

Ginko said that after a number of loops, the person becomes part of the mushi. Since only his wife experiences the loop, he is gone. What we see is an alternate version of the husband who isn't affected by the mushi, but not the same one.

:confused: I don't see why this is a bad thing. The wife lives, and she is no worse for wear. Life will continue as it always did and she will experience everything as it will happen. If she is eaten, then so be it. We all gotta die sometime and being eaten by a living Groundhog Day is a pretty cool way to go.

You guys are such Debbie Downers sometimes, jeez

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also there's no reason to assume the wife won't eventually ask Ginko about it and have a chance to break out if she chooses.

I thought it was one of the better time travel stories I've seen and not really a downer.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What it does mean is that their daughter loses her parents, and they will never meet and help raise their grandchild. From that point onwards, from the perspective of everybody else, they have disappeared from the world.

It's also interesting that the man's not interested in correcting the mistakes he made in the past, and the retributions that caused his family's business to fail, because he valued his relationship with his wife. He'd grown up alot from a spoiled brat, he's not greedy and chooses a humble life.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I really like this episode/chapter but I always felt it didn't really feel like Mushishi. I can take light eating mushi, weirdly different layers of mystic reality, and soul-replacement mushi dragons, but something about a Mushi actually directly warping someone through time was always really like.... odd to me. Not bad, I really like it and I think it works, I just feel like this episode is by far the most magical out of any of the chapters in terms of raw mushi-goku-powers.

I was talking to a friend about it and she agreed, and mentioned how if the Sakura Tree host episode was a really clear nod to hitchcockian horror films, this one was a really direct reference to Twilight Zone/Sci-Fi stuff from the same era. It's interesting because the direction of this episode does ape a lot of these conventions in its pacing and scene structure, namely the long drawn out cuts of people standing on the edge of the frame looking in -- that sort of thing. I think this really helps it succeed in its delivery of ominousness.

Definitely a great episode.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Smoking Crow posted:

Because it is him committing suicide? And hey, maybe his wife doesn't want to be trapped by the Groundhog Day monster? And since she's unconscious when he takes her through, she'll have no opportunity to turn away? Also, if she's capable of breaking the cycle in that moment, then she actually probably isn't in danger of dying, is she?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't see why you guys think this is scary. I interpreted it as the man loving his wife so much that he's willing to give up something a lot of people want, being able to relive the past, just to experience new things with her. And at the end, he willingly sacrifices his own consciousness so that she might live. GODDAMN THE FEELS

Because the man that walked into the tunnel doesn't exist anymore. He's effectively dead. The man she marries on the next loop is a copy of the original him who has never experienced all those time loops, like she didn't when he was time looping.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ginko-kun, denwa~

for reals: that was possibly the best episode of Mushi-shi ever, since like, the shock value of season 1's episode 2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ViggyNash posted:

Because the man that walked into the tunnel doesn't exist anymore. He's effectively dead. The man she marries on the next loop is a copy of the original him who has never experienced all those time loops, like she didn't when he was time looping.

Not really, it doesn't create new worlds and new Ginkos, this mushi simply sits atop of multiple worlds and lures in its prey, then transfers its consciousness to another worldline and makes them do it again.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I think he understands the concept of a sacrafice. It really was a short cut back home :gbsmith:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I think it's great that the episode doesn't really tell you what the ultimate fate of the couple is. It's a good sign if a lot of discussion is provoked.

My take is that she'll go through a full cycle of life with an irksome feeling of deja vu in her head during very memorable moments like her own wedding, but not so obvious that she brings it up to Ginko (her husband had been looping for a while before he brought it up--maybe only a couple times, but for all we know, maybe hundreds). Late in her life, her husband will find the cave on his own and be attracted to it, and he'll be snared all over again, repeating the entire process shown in the episode from a blank slate. Terrifyingly, this is a "closed loop" with no new variables, so unless the mushi decides it's not hungry anymore after a hundred thousand years, this couple will go on getting bothered by deja vu forever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But when the husband walked into the cave that last time, he did so with full knowledge of the situation. When he gets to that point this time, does he act different? That question's rhetorical btw, I doubt there's any way to answer except by speculating on thin air.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zackarotto posted:

I think it's great that the episode doesn't really tell you what the ultimate fate of the couple is.
Yeah, I really liked this. Ginko visiting them seems to be a fixed event so theoretically eventually she could break out of it as well, but who knows how many loops she can "survive". Even she does, would she have done the same in her husband's shoes?

Like the ending of Inside The Cage, I feel like the man overcome with emotion as he hugs his wife after breaking out of the loop is going to be one of the enduring images of Mushishi for me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! Another campy and legit frightening one, with something that feels like a kids ghost story. I loved it, as it takes so many themes, from aging to feelings of being an imposter to what it really means to have roots in a place, and scrambles them up into something that sticks with you. The people who didn't like last week will probably still be a bit confused, but I still really like this stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a good ending. :unsmith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Although I do like the chill opening theme I like how these last two have started without it better. I hope they keep doing that since that means we get a little bit more content.

Sindai posted:

That was a good ending. :unsmith:

Yeah, seemed like the best way to break the cycle. Since somebody has to go in for Akane to come out, it was better for the old guy to take her place than some other kid who doesn't understand what's happening. Probably will be weird as hell for Akane since she won't remember anything + all the old folks remembering her as a childhood friend, but at least she will be welcome vs Mikage who was a total stranger at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah, seemed like the best way to break the cycle. Since somebody has to go in for Akane to come out, it was better for the old guy to take her place than some other kid who doesn't understand what's happening. Probably will be weird as hell for Akane since she won't remember anything + all the old folks remembering her as a childhood friend, but at least she will be welcome vs Mikage who was a total stranger at first.

If that's how she got out, the old man's now in limbo, never dying.

• Locked thread