Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Well I finished the 1st season last night, then stayed up til 3am watching the OVA and first 3 episodes of season 2.

It really is like there was no break in between the seasons! So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

ice does not work that way. you know this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryopreservation

SUPERNATURAL FANTASY CREATURES

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah think I'm going to go with mushi magic on this one.

Also: Mushi magic is really fun to say out loud.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I don't really have a problem with everything surrounding the mushi boiling down to "a wizard did it," since they're supposed to be supernatural creatures that only partially exist within the realm of human understanding and are portrayed as just trying to survive like other living things. The drama of the series comes from how people react to mushi encounters and the long-term effects of those encounters.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

paragon1 posted:

Yeah think I'm going to go with mushi magic on this one.

Also: Mushi magic is really fun to say out loud.

It doesn't even need to be as complex as cryopreservation. The reason that kid survived in the airplane wheel well from San Jose to Hawaii was a combination of hypoxia and hypothermia, and the same can happen to a person in an icy lake for hours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/stow-no-hitching-ride-under-plane-could-leave-you-under-n85946

It's obviously a slim chance of survival, but it's real.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

I don't really have a problem with everything surrounding the mushi boiling down to "a wizard did it," since they're supposed to be supernatural creatures that only partially exist within the realm of human understanding and are portrayed as just trying to survive like other living things. The drama of the series comes from how people react to mushi encounters and the long-term effects of those encounters.

Fantasy, science fiction and horror are always at their best, when they are about humans, human society and human nature.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

It doesn't even need to be as complex as cryopreservation. The reason that kid survived in the airplane wheel well from San Jose to Hawaii was a combination of hypoxia and hypothermia, and the same can happen to a person in an icy lake for hours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/stow-no-hitching-ride-under-plane-could-leave-you-under-n85946

It's obviously a slim chance of survival, but it's real.

I knew cryopreservation was a thing, but I didn't know that was possible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New Episode! I'm a vegetarian now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:stare: That sure was dark.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
I liked the bit at the end where it was all like Man is king of the misshapen creatures of the night

Also, I loved the imagery and scenes involving the crows what with them being synonymous with death in most cultures, especially how they treated that kids arm like a delicious treat what with it being infused with essentially deaths essence

My favorite thing about Mushi-shi has always been the imagery though

Edit: This picture seems relevant

shove me like you do fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 25, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Structured a lot like the last one (essentially a character threatens those around them because of a flaw within themselves that they have to defeat/overcome) but this episode was creepier and more body-horror-ish. I really liked the sickly color cast that the house had.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I saw parallels to parental abuse, and how victims grow into abusers themselves ultimately out of fear of ever being the scared kid again.

And once again, environmentalism. Don't hunt more than you have to.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I just saw the last episode, and goddamn the coloring on this anime are gorgeous. The whole theme of rot and decay is so perfectly captured in the sickly greens and dark yellows. In fact, this whole series does great things with color.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like the dismemberment/eaten by animals train is gonna keep on chugging.

Also can you just imagine the smell in that house?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well that was the most violent episode of Mushishi I've seen in a long time. Most Mushishi stories have somehow avoided the spectre of man employing violence on his fellow man, but it is, after all, an inalienable part of the human condition. And it was even an accident.

Ginko has his clothes and lenses, a few hunters have matchlocks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I started to keep track of all the ridiculously genius shots this episode and I got up to around eleven. Then I realized my list was more or less just every important scene in the episode. Still gotta give it up to the first scene where the older brother pats the younger brother on the head, the sheer amount of reflexive terror that they can instill with such an ordinary and pedestrian shot thanks to the right combination of lighting, shading, and angle is gobsmacking. The deliberate contrast with the second scene at the end of the episode was similarly striking.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Omnicrom posted:

I started to keep track of all the ridiculously genius shots this episode and I got up to around eleven. Then I realized my list was more or less just every important scene in the episode. Still gotta give it up to the first scene where the older brother pats the younger brother on the head, the sheer amount of reflexive terror that they can instill with such an ordinary and pedestrian shot thanks to the right combination of lighting, shading, and angle is gobsmacking. The deliberate contrast with the second scene at the end of the episode was similarly striking.

The return of the close-up shot of someone stepping on some leaves was nice, too. Don't ask me why I still so vividly remember similar shots from the first season, but I do.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Gonna have to say this is up there with Watahiko, Cocoon twins, and Rust Voice Girl for my favorite eps. That was well directed and the use of color was super goddamn good.

Mushishi is so pleasant :unsmith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Gonna have to say this is up there with Watahiko, Cocoon twins, and Rust Voice Girl for my favorite eps. That was well directed and the use of color was super goddamn good.

Mushishi is so pleasant :unsmith:

Which one was Watahiko?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

Which one was Watahiko?

http://myanimelist.net/character/17355/Watahiko

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
The Watahiko ep loving creeped me out like nothing else :gonk: But yes, those other two were very good. I just watched the whole first series recently in preparation for this one.

As an aside, which ep from either season do you guys think has had the bleakest ending so far? I'm thinking One-Night Bridge, but I could have forgotten one.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, that one. That was weird.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The ending of Watahiko was darkly hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite episodes.

I love the title of the episode. And I cringed like crazy at the first head-patting scene.

Xythar posted:

As an aside, which ep from either season do you guys think has had the bleakest ending so far? I'm thinking One-Night Bridge, but I could have forgotten one.
You might be forgetting Pillow Pathway. That's the one where dream mushi wipe out that guy's entire village, he cuts his pillow and loses the ability to dream, and then kills himself a few years later. I don't think anything else even comes close.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 26, 2014

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Right, yes, there was that one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Those Who Inhale the Dew" isn't exactly chipper, either.

This episode was pretty darn unsettling. Most of the subtle mannerisms of Tatsu have already been pointed out, but I also loved the doom and gloom of Tatsu cowering in the dark. Gave me shivers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xythar posted:

Pillow Pathway to me is by far the bleakest, moreso than Those Who Inhale the Dew. Dew's subtext about people knowingly chasing dead-end escapism is deeply depressing, but Pillow Pathway was an actual dead-end. At least those people in the epilogue of Dew who are basically throwing their lives away are doing it by their own volition. The guy in Pillow Pathway to my recollection had everything he ever knew or loved destroyed purely by happenstance. I think utter desolation is bleakest when it occurs totally at random.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The atmosphere in this episode was stunning. Dark, melancholic and still beautiful.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I forgot about Pillow Pathway! I love that episode.

Then again they're supposedly animating The Ragged Road which is probably the most intense chapter, so hey. Anything can happen.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That episode ruled. The color palette (the greens and blacks that matched its theme of rot) and art was really great.

It's really a great looking show. It doesn't ever have anything in the way of a lot of action typically, but it manages to always look stellar with what it does.

Phobophilia posted:

Ginko has his clothes and lenses, a few hunters have matchlocks.

Guns existed during the period, they were used during the Warring States period. They wouldn't be common but they'd certainly be floating around.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 28, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It really can't be expressed enough how great the art in this episode was at giving everything a sickly, rotting feeling.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

gently caress, those pats on the head. :stare:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What? He used his good hand!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So was he strangling the animals to death, or killing them with the fuki somehow, or what? I guess it was left vague and never shown to make the whole thing even creepier.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Looked like the touch of death to me, like he was sucking out the life force and causing the animals to rapidly decay.

Bit of a biological screwup there, decay is simply the next stage of life, not the absence of life. But this show is, after all, working off old vitalist beliefs and spirituality.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
:aaa: There are new episodes of Mushishi??? :haw:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cybershell posted:

:aaa: There are new episodes of Mushishi??? :haw:

There is also an OVA. It's good, check it out.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
I clicked on a pretty banner and was led to this thread. I love this series and I'm so glad people are trying to spread the love. I purchased all the volumes of the English version, but I was sad the last volume was an omnibus, because I would kill for more of that beautiful water color art on the covers.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe we're getting more Mushi-Shi. We're four episodes in and I wait for every Friday the way I did for the OVA over the winter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing that gets me is that even better than it feeling like Mushishi never went away, the new season is actually even better. The quality on these latest episodes have been insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So good. :allears:

Shutting out all other distractions, and relaxing for a cup of tea and the weekly episode is my favorite weekly event right now.

• Locked thread