Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Mushi-Shi is pretty handily my favorite anime series, and honestly I love the dub. I think all the performances being subdued and maybe just "technically okay" works really well, and I love Ginko's dub voice. I'm so loving pumped for more of the show too, and there's a very good chance that I'll end up watching it subbed just because I'm impatient. It'll probably depend on if a dub gets announced quickly or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kanos posted:

Is it ever explained why Ginko dresses in late 20th century modern clothing in an otherwise totally medieval Japanese setting, or is that merely a stylistic choice to help emphasize his connection with and study of the extraordinary?

If I remember right, it's a meta reason in that the artist originally intended to set the story in modern times, designed Ginko, and they decided that the stories fit better in a more mystical time but didn't want to change Ginko's look and just left it alone.

It does, nicely, have that effect of distancing him from the rest of the world though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

KoB posted:

I think they said they wanted to keep his look to make him really stand out/be different from everyone else since Mushishi are strange to most people.

Yeah, it wasn't intentional but more of a happy accident.

Paracelsus posted:

The timeline of the series itself is rather vague, and possibly out of order. I remember something about the second episode taking place much later than the rest due to the state of technology required for manufacture of things like the syringe.

If I remember right this was kind of tied into a similar thing, in that the series just sort of takes place in its own ill-defined era with things just being done because they were cool or seemed the appropriate blend of mystical and scientific rather than strictly adhering to what was available in any one time period.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

Given that Funimation had licensed the previous series and doesn't seem to be associating with this one at all: extremely low.

Supposedly Aniplex of America has it licensed, though I don't know if that's just streaming or what. They seem to have gotten kind of slow about releasing dubs lately too, and for something like Mushi-Shi I could see it taking a couple years if ever.

My one regret in life is that I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to license Mushi-Shi myself, and then throw it at Funimation until they dub it for me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

The thing is, most licensing companies only use dubbing studios that are local to them. Funimation is Texas based. I don't know where the hell Aniplex USA is located, but I'm guessing it's not Texas.

I think they're California based, if I remember right. LA-ish. They definitely have a totally different crop of actors, for sure. That said it isn't impossible for them to, say, hire the handful of actual recurring characters from Funi's Season One dub to reprise their roles in Season Two. Hell, they could just keep Ginko the same and probably get by.

• Locked thread