Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

What amazes me is how much Ginko knows about so many Mushi and the cures. Ew...that smell? Yeah, that's the Mushi-of-Infectious-Death. All you have to do is drink this golden sake and it'll take care of it. I didn't even have to look it up in my book. Oh, that snowfall near the person? That's the Ice-Mushi-of-Death. All you have to do is this and that and you'll be cured. Here, take this medicine I folded into a paper-football. I just happen to have all my medicines for all the Mushi in this rectangular box I take everywhere with me. (Yes, he did have to go get some of the golden sake, but that's a rare event)

I would like to see him consult a scroll or book or get his Samsung Note II out and Google it or something, sometime. Yes, Ginko's been doing this a long time, and he's an expert. However, there seems to be hundreds of different types of Mushi. You'd think he'd have to consult a reference material sometime.

I do agree that it's nice there is a cure for just about all Mushi-caused illnesses. Since we see mostly Ginko, alone, we don't really get to see that there seems to be a fairly large and active community of Mushi-Shi running around the countryside curing Mushi-caused illnesses. We saw some of that in this season's first episode, but I'd like to see more of that.

I also enjoyed seeing an episode that didn't end with the loss of a body part this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Now we know how Chiaka was made. If the gardener puts the head of a girl on the body of a boy (that kid was a boy, right?), doesn't he end up with a boy? I knew something was fishy when he asked him if he was in good health and then invited him to spend the night.

Ginko did what he had to do. My worry was the lost knowledge. There had to be some really good research that was lost.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Van Dine posted:

At the end of the episode, I was half expecting for those men to find a new baby in the tree.
I expected the same exact thing, Van Dine. I expected they'd find a baby and decide to build a house at that spot to properly rear the child. Also, maybe start a business as gardeners....

Yep. The short hair got me. I knew the VA was a girl, but that doesn't mean anything if it's a young boy.

Not only are the visuals great, but I'm really enjoying the music.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I loved how the kid hit Mikage with the acorn and she beat the poo poo out of him and then they got married.

The best part is that the Mushi aren't the reason for most of the troubles during this episode, but we did get to see Ginko work some too.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Man, how does any kid live long enough to reach adulthood in the Mushishi world. Everywhere they'd likely explore is a trap/gateway to Moonside.
Well, the obvious answer is that we're only seeing the "interesting" parts of kids growing up. The vast majority, like 99.999% of the kids in Mushi Japan don't have any ill-fated adventures with Mushi.

And of course, then there're the Mushi-shi which come to the rescue and are more numerous than we probably think. The show wouldn't be very interesting if we watched the normal kids growing up in normal non-Mushi-danger lives.

I keep wondering if Ginko will eventually find someone to become his disciple. He's finding all these kids with Mushi-shi abilities, but he just leaves them with their parents and moves on. You'd think he'd take on one or two as a disciple send them to Mushi-shi school or whatever.

What surprised me the most this episode was that the girl didn't have to climb out of the well. She fell in, but when she came back to normal space-time, she was in her front yard. I figured she'd have to go out the way she came in. Totally blew my suspension of disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

In this episode of Mushishi, a young boy learns about becomes part of the water cycle.
Fixed that for you.

I rather thought this episode was fairly grim and horrifying. Ginko admits the whole affair is a pile of rare circumstances stacked one atop the other, but boy o' boy did he ever gently caress up that diagnosis/treatment plan.

Also, on the term "drowning". To me, to drown is a final thing. You drowned == you died in water. You don't have a conversation with someone who drowned and say, "So, when did you drown?" That's like saying, "When did you die?"

Maybe I'm being overly picky with semantics. I think "So, when did you almost drown?" is a better choice. Could be just the translation too.

• Locked thread