Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I fist checked Mushi-Shi out I was actually kind of disappointed. I was expecting a horror series that would really freak me out, and while there is some good freaky stuff in the show (the sister disappearing in Pickers of Empty Cocoons was amazing) that's not really the tone it's going for. Instead we see these slightly twisted versions of mundane life, presented as fixable problems to be calmly addressed. It's actually kind of boring! But once I got on its wavelength god I was hooked.

My favorite type of Mushi-Shi episode is the over the top sweet ones, like String from the Sky, Sunrise Serpent, and Raindrops and Rainbows. Really looking forward to something like that popping up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was chill even by Mushi-Shi standards. Still pretty great, and the OP was perfect.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Manga spoilers!!! Mushi are nanomachines.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Episode 2! One of the best ever. It plays out like a classic fable (and maybe it's based on one?) and does a really fantastic job of putting a family drama in the context of a greater village, and adding enough specific supernatural detail to feel fresh and in tune with the series.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New Episode! I'm a vegetarian now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe we're getting more Mushi-Shi. We're four episodes in and I wait for every Friday the way I did for the OVA over the winter.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

It was a girl. Just because she has short hair doesn't mean it's a boy. Mushishi doesn't have any effeminate bishounen.

Other than Ginko :swoon:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So we wait two weeks for a new episode and there's production delays :argh: Mushi-shi is three hours late on Crunchyroll

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God has seen fit that we get another episode of Mushi-Shi. The character at the center of this is so awful that it kind of comes around again to being a lovable spoiled brat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked last week's unsympathetic subject and the animation was fine despite the production problems, but wow this week was a complete return to everything the show does well. Looks gorgeous, genuinely frightening, sincerely sweet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The two episodes of Mushi-Shi that got skipped are coming to crunchroll on Sunday!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So this new OVA is pretty much perfect. Tanyuu, the scribe with the forbidden mushi in her leg, is back! New, super interesting possibly recurring character! Really sweet ending! Just over a month till the weekly episodes resume!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's finally up on Crunchyroll!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode was amazing! I'm kind of surprised that wasn't a finale, as "you belong no matter where you are in the world" is a great way to sum up Ginko's character.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! Love the way they play with the formula with this one. Not much mushi and not much of Ginko but the same themes are touched upon and it's genuinely really creepy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! Another campy and legit frightening one, with something that feels like a kids ghost story. I loved it, as it takes so many themes, from aging to feelings of being an imposter to what it really means to have roots in a place, and scrambles them up into something that sticks with you. The people who didn't like last week will probably still be a bit confused, but I still really like this stuff.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Truly a terrifying mushi.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked that horrifying episode, and I probably should have known it would be bad when things were so happy halfway through. Kinda wish they showed Ginko admitting that he hosed up, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That kid is loving cool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! It wasn't scary, it wasn't mysterious, it wasn't thought provoking, it was just ugly and cruel and absolutely amazing. Also, that kid is hosed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While I'm excited to see it, I'm less thrilled that this means it's less likely to show up over here and we don't know what format.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The good news is that Tree of Eternity owns and works as a season finale. It stuffs in just about every theme that the show has touched on into one big pile, and somehow manages to make it all work.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's even better if you remember the episode that started the fall season, the one with young Ginko. "Nature isn't going to forgive you, because it was never angry in the first place" is basically the lesson this time, except we see an entire town learn it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first season is still really good, but the run this year has been even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've just started catching up on Mushi-shi Season 2, and holy poo poo was Floral Delusion dark. My god :suspense:.

It's really telling how bad it is when Ginko's response to the situation is just to burn the house down with them inside rather than his usual attempts at mediation and curing the afflicted.

Minor spoilers for the rest: that's like just the tip of how dark some episodes in the second half get.

• Locked thread