Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
That was really pleasant. :unsmith:

I forgot how different Mushishi was from other anime. I watched the Special today as well and as soon as it started I had to take a second to readjust my tone glasses. Even more specifically, Mushishi is paced and framed like an actual drama, unlike most anime.

This will be a really nice weekly relaxation, specifically paired with Ping Pong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure "Ah, that was pleasant" is going to be my reaction to every single episode so every few pages just pretend that I have posted that.

Seriously, Mushishi is like the refreshing glass of ice cold lemonade on a hot day of anime. Every episode is just so palate-cleansing and refreshing.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Dickensian Aspect posted:

This is probably far too general to count as a spoiler, but just in case, there are definitely some sadder/more macabre stories left, based on the manga. I don't know that I'd describe every chapter as "pleasant", but they are pretty much all great.

I've read the manga so I know what to expect in terms of tone, but I mean more along the lines of it being so good and consistent that it just cleanses the palate.

When I say "pleasant" I don't mean happy or anything like that, just... a completely satisfying and self contained 23 minutes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna have to say this is up there with Watahiko, Cocoon twins, and Rust Voice Girl for my favorite eps. That was well directed and the use of color was super goddamn good.

Mushishi is so pleasant :unsmith:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot about Pillow Pathway! I love that episode.

Then again they're supposedly animating The Ragged Road which is probably the most intense chapter, so hey. Anything can happen.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

You also have to realize that Ginko is a little bit different from most other Mushishi -- His whole life... well, what he remembers of it, has been entirely Mushi. Even before that, with his time with Nui, he was learning about them. He has a much different level than even the Archivist or other Mushishi, simply because his entire existence has been being a Mushishi, dealing with Mushi in the field.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Welcome to Mushishi hosted by Junji Itou.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

I think it is both actually. To not feel guilty about things that are not under your control, like the rain causing people to die and the rain following her around, and to hope for the best because while her problem is chronic there are signs of it ending and there are clear benefits for her having the mushi on the people surrounding her.

It's a lot of this with the past mention of clouds having a silver lining. Ginko tells her that she has to deal with a lot of stuff, and even under that burden there are still things to be happy about. She found a way to help people, even if she personally held the deaths of people on her shoulders. It's not her fault, but that also doesn't mean her suffering didn't matter. It seems like Ginko really connected to her in that aspect, and was trying to get across that People are more complex than the consequences of their actions, and that while someone can experience great pain, the "ends" to that pain can have a multitude of affects on people that might be unexpected. Being lost in that pain is what caused Teru to feel so horrible for the past years, it wasn't just the Mushi itself, and even though Teru's feelings of sadness aren't invalid Ginko wants her to know that she doesn't NEED to live under the shadow of the mushi as if it's just there to terrorize her.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

This episode is based on a Japanese superstition:
If you whistle at night, you'll call snakes. Some sources say thieves used to communicate this way, others say the snakes generally stand for misfortune.

It's based on more than just a Japanese superstition -- It's a boating superstition in general. Whistling specifically while boating or near the sea is, in many cultures, a bad omen. We even get the colloquialism "Whistle up a Storm" in English from our variant of the superstition. Snakes are also tied to boats and whistling in many other cultures. It seems to be because Snakes can whistle! But it's hard to tell where the superstition comes from.

Edit: Also, the assumption that this episode would look weird due to the production pause seems to have turned out correct. This episode looks really goddamn strange. Especially compared to the rest of Season 2. Looks more like a Season 1 episode. Everyone's faces and hairlines are really odd.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 9, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The show is pretty samefacey regardless, I just mean the faces themselves looked really weird this episode even compared to others.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Lenore03 posted:

Have they said what chapters these will be? Can't help but feel like we should have hit the Ragged Road episode by now.

I would not be shocked if Ragged Road were on the BD's considering the content. Also the fact that pretty much everyone has been waiting for it to be adapted.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I really like this episode/chapter but I always felt it didn't really feel like Mushishi. I can take light eating mushi, weirdly different layers of mystic reality, and soul-replacement mushi dragons, but something about a Mushi actually directly warping someone through time was always really like.... odd to me. Not bad, I really like it and I think it works, I just feel like this episode is by far the most magical out of any of the chapters in terms of raw mushi-goku-powers.

I was talking to a friend about it and she agreed, and mentioned how if the Sakura Tree host episode was a really clear nod to hitchcockian horror films, this one was a really direct reference to Twilight Zone/Sci-Fi stuff from the same era. It's interesting because the direction of this episode does ape a lot of these conventions in its pacing and scene structure, namely the long drawn out cuts of people standing on the edge of the frame looking in -- that sort of thing. I think this really helps it succeed in its delivery of ominousness.

Definitely a great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Most people can't even see Mushi, let alone stumble into life-changing situations involving them.

• Locked thread