Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If I remember right this was kind of tied into a similar thing, in that the series just sort of takes place in its own ill-defined era with things just being done because they were cool or seemed the appropriate blend of mystical and scientific rather than strictly adhering to what was available in any one time period.

That was one of the things I liked about the show. They didn't waste time trying to contrive an unnecessary timeline or waste time on necessary world building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's all there, the music, the atmosphere, the art, everything. If they've done so well on the first episode, I can't imagine that they will do much worse with the rest of the season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

oilatsnep posted:

Currently watching season 1 on youtube to catch up before watching the new season.

Seen up to episode 10 and it's fantastic! Glad that there's a season 2 or I probably never would have gotten around to watching this.

Now I'll avoid this thread like the plague until I've caught up.

Mushi-shi spoilers don't mean to much since there is zero overarching plot in the show, but I assume you just don't want to be spoiled on the plots of future episodes. Be sure to check out the OVA too.

e: Hey I was trying to save him from discovering that mushi actually don't exist and Ginko went insane and imagined it all after his eye was stabbed a little too early.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 11, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That ending scene was gorgeous, and the whole episode was one of the best yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ep 3: That was a rather chilling episode, pun intended.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

ice does not work that way. you know this.

Magic ice?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

It doesn't even need to be as complex as cryopreservation. The reason that kid survived in the airplane wheel well from San Jose to Hawaii was a combination of hypoxia and hypothermia, and the same can happen to a person in an icy lake for hours.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/stow-no-hitching-ride-under-plane-could-leave-you-under-n85946

It's obviously a slim chance of survival, but it's real.

I knew cryopreservation was a thing, but I didn't know that was possible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:stare: That sure was dark.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Gonna have to say this is up there with Watahiko, Cocoon twins, and Rust Voice Girl for my favorite eps. That was well directed and the use of color was super goddamn good.

Mushishi is so pleasant :unsmith:

Which one was Watahiko?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, that one. That was weird.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a bit of a goofy ending. After the oppressive last couple episodes, this rather lighthearted episode was a welcome respite.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not wrong stared into the shadow on the wrong lake? Your eye falls out, your hair changes colour, and you lose all your memory. And that's if you're lucky.

I guess we can imagine that these are all rare, isolated incidents. Who knows, it's probably been decades since Ginko's first started out but we wouldn't know because he never seems to look any older or younger, except for the childhood flashback episodes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

New episode up. Pretty dark. :stare:

Dark, but wonderfully beautiful. One of the more gorgeous episodes of Mushi-shi.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

Welcome to Mushishi hosted by Junji Itou.

He must have lost his touch.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Ginko did what he had to do. My worry was the lost knowledge. There had to be some really good research that was lost.

I was thinking exactly that when I saw the house go up in flames. That's hundreds of years of important medical and botanical research gone poof.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Today's Mushishi episode is a live-action talk show with the director and cast explaining some things. Crunchyroll doesn't appear to be subbing it. Just a heads up.

That's a rather disappointing. I hope there'll be a fansub of it, or that CR subs it soon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys remember this?

Clothes that Embrace the Mountain

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I haven't read the thread because I'm terrified of spoilers, but I basically haven't watched any Anime since the Escaflowne simulwatch and decided to pick up a bunch of poo poo to start sampling and maybe working my way though, starting with season one of Mushi-Shi.

Three episodes in and, uh...wow.

I mean, wow.

I'm not even sure what makes this show click so well for me. I mean, the art and music are both fantastic and the design on the Mushi is really fascinating and the animation is just a joy to look at, but if you just gave me a synopsis of the first three episodes, I'd probably write it off as a bore. It's a real 'greater than the sum of its parts' sort of a feel, something about the tone created by the blend of the writing, that gorgeous soundtrack, and the artwork that's so beautiful and melancholy. This feels like a weird metaphor, but I've kind of latched on to it - this show's just created this atmosphere that's so dense and rich that I just want to sink into it like a hot bath.

So, yeah, it's a loving hit and I should take ADTRW's advice on good shows more often. Looking forward to watching more. I'll be interested to see how much we wind up learning about Ginko - you'd kind of expect to in a show like this, but I get the feeling that it might be very difficult to elaborate too much on him without ruining the show's weird magic.

There are actually several episodes that provide some backstory for Ginko, and other that imply information about him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
... Am I missing something here? I swear that 2 episode special (Path of Thorns) came out in the summer, because I remember watching it a while ago on Crunchyroll.

LaTex Fetish posted:

just got done with the original series a little while ago.

had a good time.

where do I pick up now? should I go back and rewatch specific episodes for added value ?

Not necessary. Just go to Crunchyroll where an OVA and the second season has been airing. All of it is free for non-premium users now since part 2 of the second season didn't start yet.

e:VV Not what I meant, but I see where I went wrong. I hadn't seen all those earlier posts before now and assumed they were made recently.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Did they ever mention the mushi-repellent cigs before? I always thought Ginko smoked because he liked it, and because it was part of his "new age" look.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, I don't remember those bits. Been a while, I guess.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit, I just watched Edge of Tomorrow for the second time yesterday and I was not ready for more time-looping.

Great episode, but an existentially terrifying future.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't see why you guys think this is scary. I interpreted it as the man loving his wife so much that he's willing to give up something a lot of people want, being able to relive the past, just to experience new things with her. And at the end, he willingly sacrifices his own consciousness so that she might live. GODDAMN THE FEELS

Because the man that walked into the tunnel doesn't exist anymore. He's effectively dead. The man she marries on the next loop is a copy of the original him who has never experienced all those time loops, like she didn't when he was time looping.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But when the husband walked into the cave that last time, he did so with full knowledge of the situation. When he gets to that point this time, does he act different? That question's rhetorical btw, I doubt there's any way to answer except by speculating on thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I don't think crunchyroll does movies in general so were gonna have to wait for the bds

They have a few, I think. They recently picked up everything Shinkai for some Shinkai Movie Night thing for example. Plus they picked up the OVA from just before the second season so I'm optimistic.

• Locked thread