Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

He doesn't really dress in clothing that's distinctively 20th century clothing; keep in mind a lot of that basic fashion he's wearing is 18th/19th century in origin. I believe the author has stated that Mushishi takes place during the Sakoku (when outsiders were being kept out of Japan), which lasted up until 1853. Even during that period, trade with outside powers (namely the Dutch) was still occurring, just in a very controlled and limited way.

Presumably this is the origin of his microscope and what not, which was certainly around back then.

:eng101: Actually, he is dressed in 20th-century clothing. iirc, It's because Mushi-Shi was originally going to be set in modern day, but when the author re-wrote it to a feudal era he just left Ginko's outfit as-is.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

My point was more that given the period it's set in, his clothes isn't exactly alien to it even if he wasn't designed for it.

I only really meant it as a bit of trivia. Given how much Ginko travels, and Mushi aren't likely to only occur in Japan, he's probably managed to get overseas somehow at some point or other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

I can never tell if those breaks help or hurt production. I guess if I can't tell the effect is overall negligible.

It'll probably help, if the high quality of animation in the original series is anything to go by. It'll give the animators time to do two blocks of quality work rather than descending into rushing week-by-week as it goes on. Writing-side; Mushi-shi's not exactly a big franchise in the way Gundam 00 or Code Geass were, and the episodes are pretty much all stand-alone, so there's not a lot of reason for any higher-ups to go insane over. About the only bad thing that could theoretically happen is the show does so badly in the ratings the studio pulls the plug after the first block of twelve episodes, but that seems pretty unlikely given how unlikely this second season being made was in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 31, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJgBqFVoNI

Mushi-Shi Season 2 OP

Soundtrack is still great, and the animation quality is still good.

That's a pretty nice little song. I like that they found something with the same kind of feel as The Sore Feet Song.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

The world of Mushishi is such a deathtrap. Look at your reflection in the wrong lake? SOUL STOLEN.

You're not wrong stared into the shadow on the wrong lake? Your eye falls out, your hair changes colour, and you lose all your memory. And that's if you're lucky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

The fact that he's such a Mushi magnet that he basically causes devastation if he dwells in a location way too long sort of reinforces just how much Mushi and him are interconnected.

I thought that was something that happened with all Mushi-shi, hence why they're all nomadic?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've just started catching up on Mushi-shi Season 2, and holy poo poo was Floral Delusion dark. My god :suspense:.

It's really telling how bad it is when Ginko's response to the situation is just to burn the house down with them inside rather than his usual attempts at mediation and curing the afflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, that was one rear end in a top hat turtle guarding the Mountain in Depths of Winter.

• Locked thread