Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I am so excited for this. Mushishi was one of my absolute favorite 00's animes and I couldn't be happier that they're actually making more of it after an 8-year hiatus.

ViggyNash posted:

It's all there, the music, the atmosphere, the art, everything. If they've done so well on the first episode, I can't imagine that they will do much worse with the rest of the season.

Have you seen the OVA episode that came out a few months ago? It's basically a two-parter in one, and totally blew away any worries I had about the series restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

mikeycp posted:

Ginko is the only voice that really matters to me.

Ginko's voice is practically the only one you hear for more than one episode.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I don't really have a problem with everything surrounding the mushi boiling down to "a wizard did it," since they're supposed to be supernatural creatures that only partially exist within the realm of human understanding and are portrayed as just trying to survive like other living things. The drama of the series comes from how people react to mushi encounters and the long-term effects of those encounters.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Omnicrom posted:

I started to keep track of all the ridiculously genius shots this episode and I got up to around eleven. Then I realized my list was more or less just every important scene in the episode. Still gotta give it up to the first scene where the older brother pats the younger brother on the head, the sheer amount of reflexive terror that they can instill with such an ordinary and pedestrian shot thanks to the right combination of lighting, shading, and angle is gobsmacking. The deliberate contrast with the second scene at the end of the episode was similarly striking.

The return of the close-up shot of someone stepping on some leaves was nice, too. Don't ask me why I still so vividly remember similar shots from the first season, but I do.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

Which one was Watahiko?

http://myanimelist.net/character/17355/Watahiko

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I can't tell anyone's faces apart, except for Ginko, season 1 or season 2.

I recognized the doctor that Ginko visits occasionally, but that's only because of his monocle.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That was a dang good episode, maybe one of my all-time favorites in the series. Lots of mystery, some hints of bigger things, and it was a pretty dark episode all around, more so than usual. October definitely can't come soon enough.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

... Am I missing something here? I swear that 2 episode special (Path of Thorns) came out in the summer, because I remember watching it a while ago on Crunchyroll.

It's still on Crunchyroll:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/mushi-shi/mushi-shi-the-next-passage-special-path-of-thorns-659833

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
In the first episode of the first season, Ginko uses the smoke from his cigarette to momentarily entangle the mushi spirit-girl.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

unpronounceable posted:

Man, this episode was heavy. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for the man. He finally turns away from the tunnel, but is he now going to have to relive his wife dying, only to "save her" with the mushi?

This episode really scared me.

I felt like the way it shifted perspective at the end to Kaoru's wife suggested to me that he was no longer a conscious part of the loop. Which is bad, because she never had any direct interaction with Ginko, it was always her husband. In trying to save her life, Kaoru doomed her to repeat her entire life over and over again until finally merging with the mushi [whatever that entails].

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

cyberbug posted:

I got the impression that the boy 'left' despite Ginko's treatment plan, not because of it, and that in the end it turned out to be inevitable.

I thought the opposite at first, but then I realized that this is correct. The boy was either going to jump in the river at some point or evaporate following a severe flood, Ginko's treatment didn't make things any worse but instead just gave the boy a chance to live a normal life for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Mushishi movie coming next year:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-20/mushishi-the-next-chapter-gets-film-in-early-summer/.82433 posted:

The Mushishi: The Next Chapter anime's television broadcast ended on Sunday with an announcement that the Mushishi: The Next Chapter's Suzu no Shizuku arc will play in theaters early in Summer 2015. The film will be a special compilation of "Suzu no Shizuku," which was the last two-chapter arc in the main manga series.

Not really much to say, more Mushishi is always a really good thing, though I am very interested to see what they do with a longer format and a bigger budget.

• Locked thread