Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

My favourite so far is the ep with the hunter, not so much because of the ep as a whole, but because of that head pat scene and how brilliantly it managed to convey so much. I don't know if I've ever seen any animated series manage to convey information so well as in that one scene. But so many of the episodes are beautiful. All of them seem to have at least one moment that's completely stunning. The snow, the lakes, and in episode 6 the cherry blossom tree.

At the end of the episode, I was half expecting for those men to find a new baby in the tree.

It was always beautiful and streets ahead of the quality in most series, but I don't recall the first series of Mushishi being quite so visually impressive as the new one. Maybe it's a budget issue, or maybe techniques have moved on somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Well, that was a downer episode, for one where nobody actually got hurt permanently. But it was an excellent episode. It makes sense that the mother didn't just yell out "Don't do it, I love you and want you to live!" or something because of that imminent lightning strike after all her many years of just not caring or not being able to convey any caring. I noticed that the first time he was hit by lightning, the poor kid was tied to the tree.

I felt bad for the kid, and obviously he was still upset, but he would have been so, so much better off being with some other relative, so it's good that he left.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That was an excellent episode. I'm just sorry to see the series end. Well, at least there'll be the film, which from what people are saying is likely to be adapting some great material. It's been years since I watched the first series of the anime, so maybe it's time for a re-watch to make up for the Mushishi-shaped hole in the week. The recent series has been superb. Although I thought the first series was excellent I'm not sure if I appreciated it as much as the recent one at the time.

• Locked thread