Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

I am hoping we get more episodes that swing in the other direction, personally. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy a good mellow tragedy, like the first season's The Pillow Pathway and Those Who Inhale the Dew.
I like the ones who that seem to balance the two sides, like "Inside the Cage" which has such an incredible ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nice story to lead off on, since they more or less build up to Ginko's introduction rather than insert him in there as if it just another episode in the first season. Good to be back, folks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like that at least so far there seems to be a decent amount of variation in the character designs. The only complaint I ever had with the first season was how similar a lot of characters looked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeesh, well if you wanted a more melancholic episode there you go.

Couldn't think of a good cold pun, sorry :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Those Who Inhale the Dew" isn't exactly chipper, either.

This episode was pretty darn unsettling. Most of the subtle mannerisms of Tatsu have already been pointed out, but I also loved the doom and gloom of Tatsu cowering in the dark. Gave me shivers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some of the background shots in this one were positively breathtaking.

Anyway, Ginko does seem to be a bit more well, ahem, traveled than other mushishi. It's probably just a combination of him being involved with them for so long and his inherit main characterness.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

A gorgeous episode, sharply contrasting with the sheer horror of what was going on. Eight generations of serial killers. Hell, if Saho took that long to grow, did they need to find her appropriate bodies--- :stare:
I'm going to go with "she didn't seem to deteriorate until she was fully grown" because the alternative is, well, yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neeksy posted:

I'm referring to the post-fire bloom of actual petals with the two traveling guys, not the one of the Kodama foam fleeing the flames.
I saw it as a contrast to what happened to the woman. Ginko warned that if he took the mushi out of her, she might not have any life left, which is what happened as she shriveled up. Conversely even without the life-extending mushi in it the tree was able bloom on its own once again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, what a jerk. The only reason he's not the worst victim this season is because his competition is a serial killer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And *poof*, Mushishi is gone again. At least it's only a few months instead of 9 years.

Did the production delays wind up reducing the episode count at all? Or was it always going to be a 10-episode cour?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it was "sweet" but also quite bitter!

Guess the reason Tanyuu kept recognizing the guy as a new person from time to time was because that wasn't the first time he had to give up his artificial soul :(

Great, dark episode. And I dare say, hints of something bigger?!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's really great to have this show back, hopefully with no more production issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Did they ever mention the mushi-repellent cigs before? I always thought Ginko smoked because he liked it, and because it was part of his "new age" look.
It was definitely mentioned in the first season at some point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zackarotto posted:

I think it's great that the episode doesn't really tell you what the ultimate fate of the couple is.
Yeah, I really liked this. Ginko visiting them seems to be a fixed event so theoretically eventually she could break out of it as well, but who knows how many loops she can "survive". Even she does, would she have done the same in her husband's shoes?

Like the ending of Inside The Cage, I feel like the man overcome with emotion as he hugs his wife after breaking out of the loop is going to be one of the enduring images of Mushishi for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the setting was neat. The dilemma fell a little flat for me though. It also seemed like there were a whole lot more dead air scenes than usual.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I figured the mom was going to turn out to be dead. I guess the ending was supposed to imply as well that there was never anything reeeeally wrong with the kid, he just had a lot of energy and a bit too much of a chip on his shoulder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, how does any kid live long enough to reach adulthood in the Mushishi world. Everywhere they'd likely explore or play in is a trap/gateway to Moonside.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

It all turns into tears.
Lost in time, like tears in rain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Remember when we had episodes end with stuff like the victim waking up and falling in love with Ginko, and we all laughed since it was cute and funny. Haha, yeah. Good times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
gently caress, that was maybe the darkest Mushishi yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Agreed, that was stupendous as both a stand-alone episode and something to close out on (for now). A happy medium between the happier episodes we had before and the really tragic/dark ones recently.

• Locked thread