Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They are kept at a distance. Coarse and mysterious, they seem to be different from the flora and fauna that are familiar to us. This group of strange-looking creatures has inflicted fear onto humans since long past, and have come to be called Mushi.

Mushi-shi is an award winning manga and anime series, originally by Yuki Urushibara, animated by Artland. It follows Ginko, a Mushi master (Mushi-Shi) who studies Mushi in medieval Japan. Mushi are beings more spiritually and physically basic than the life we are familiar with, and their encounters with humanity can result in both blessings and tragedies. The anime adaptation originally aired in 2005, but we're now getting a sequel this Spring.

Mushi-shi is the typically episodic tale of Ginko solving various Mushi-related mysteries in order to help people. In both the manga and anime this is accompanied with spectacular art and visuals, while the anime has some really excellent audio work. It's a very mellow series; sometimes quite light, sometimes quite dark. Much like the Mushi themselves. The atmosphere is extremely engrossing and well executed.

Check out its ADTRWiki page.

Manga
    The original format for Mushi-Shi, it was serialized in a couple Kodansha seinen magazines between 1999 and 2008. It has since been compiled in ten volumes. It won the Kodansha Award for Best General Manga, the Excellence Prize at the 7th Japan Media Arts Festival, was placed in 9th on Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs's list of best manga, and the US Young Adult Library Services Association placed it among 33 titles with "good quality literature and appealing reading for teens" in 2008. It was a routine best seller in Japan, and managed to show up on a few lists in the US too.

It was brought to North America by Del Rey, but it's currently out of print as far as I can tell; you may be able to find volumes online for rather unrealistic prices. That being said, you can get the volumes in eBook form for pretty cheap!
TV Series (2005)
    The first adaptation of Mushi-Shi, produced by Artland, directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, with music by Toshio Masuda. It aired as 26 episodes between 2005 and 2006. The anime won the grand prizes for Best Television Series and Best Art Direction at the 5th Tokyo Anime Award. It placed 6th on the Japan's Agendy for Cultural Affairs list of best anime. Each episode of the Mushishi anime adapts a single chapter from the manga, not strictly following the order of original production.

The anime was brought to North America by Funimation. It is available as an extremely cheap boxset, but also can be streamed for free on YouTube, Hulu, Funimation.com. You can also digitally purchase the series from Amazon.

The dub is decent, but so is the original cast so it's really up to your personal taste in terms of the voice acting. I prefer the original cast personally!

ADTRW Simulwatch from 2011
Live Action Film (2007)
    The live action film adaptation was directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy). It won some awards at European Foreign film festivals, though the film has been criticized for being atmospheric but a bit too clunky / tangled, and particularly impenetrable for the uninitiated. It adapts four chapters from the original manga (2, 7, 9, and 15).

Funimation brought the live action film over as well, and it is mega cheap.
TV Special - The Sun Eating Shadow (2014)
    A special 45 minute special adapting a one-off special chapter. Special. It is once again produced by Artland, directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, with music by Toshio Masuda. Again! Hooray! After the solar eclipse, a village finds itself stuck in the post-eclipse darkness. Ginko tries to solve the mystery before the area's crops wither and die in perpetual night.

It was licensed and subtitled for streaming by Crunchyroll.
TV Series (2014)
    There's a new TV series coming April 4th, 2014! It's being produced by all the same people who did the original TV series and the recent TV special, which is good because those were pretty great. We have no idea what chapters of the original manga they intend to adapt. The first anime had no "TV original" episodes, no idea if we'll continue to see that trend. Going off the special, the budget should be similar (or better). We also don't know how many episodes it'll even be!

Still, I'm pretty pumped. The original series was very enjoyable for me, a nice mellow thing to watch and chill out with. I'm looking forward to more of that! It's being simultaneously streamed in the US via Crunchyroll

While it's probably not necessary to have seen the original anime or the TV Special to give this a watch (continuity isn't a huge thing, and even the original series scrambled the order of events), I'd recommend doing so if only because they're great and why not?

Please feel free to use this thread to talk about all things Mushi-shi.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I am hoping we get more episodes that swing in the other direction, personally. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy a good mellow tragedy, like the first season's The Pillow Pathway and Those Who Inhale the Dew.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Squidster posted:

I'd also like to stress that the soundtrack for this show is absolutely incredible.

Yeah, I'm glad they got back Toshio Masuda back for this, his soundtrack and audio work really gave the original series a lot of its feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQQuXKuGJI

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kanos posted:

Is it ever explained why Ginko dresses in late 20th century modern clothing in an otherwise totally medieval Japanese setting, or is that merely a stylistic choice to help emphasize his connection with and study of the extraordinary?

He doesn't really dress in clothing that's distinctively 20th century clothing; keep in mind a lot of that basic fashion he's wearing is 18th/19th century in origin. I believe the author has stated that Mushishi takes place during the Sakoku (when outsiders were being kept out of Japan), which lasted up until 1853. Even during that period, trade with outside powers (namely the Dutch) was still occurring, just in a very controlled and limited way.

Presumably this is the origin of his microscope and what not, which was certainly around back then.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:eng101: Actually, he is dressed in 20th-century clothing. iirc, It's because Mushi-Shi was originally going to be set in modern day, but when the author re-wrote it to a feudal era he just left Ginko's outfit as-is.

My point was more that given the period it's set in, his clothes isn't exactly alien to it even if he wasn't designed for it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I can never tell if those breaks help or hurt production. I guess if I can't tell the effect is overall negligible.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJgBqFVoNI

Mushi-Shi Season 2 OP

Soundtrack is still great, and the animation quality is still good.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Season 2, Episode 1 is available

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mikeycp posted:

What are the odds of this getting a dub eventually? I got attached to the English voice cast and don't really want to switch over unless there isn't going to be another choice.

Given that Funimation had licensed the previous series and doesn't seem to be associating with this one at all: extremely low.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Supposedly Aniplex of America has it licensed, though I don't know if that's just streaming or what. They seem to have gotten kind of slow about releasing dubs lately too, and for something like Mushi-Shi I could see it taking a couple years if ever.

My one regret in life is that I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to license Mushi-Shi myself, and then throw it at Funimation until they dub it for me.

The thing is, most licensing companies only use dubbing studios that are local to them. Funimation is Texas based. I don't know where the hell Aniplex USA is located, but I'm guessing it's not Texas.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Good episode. I enjoy a nice tragic Mushi-shi episode :twisted:

As always though, a lot of the problem here was driven by A Dumb Kid Being A Dumb Kid, really. Though the fact that its driven by the shock of his sister dying in his care is understandable.

I like the detail they included about the fact that he ended up losing a bunch of fingers and toes; I was wondering with as much as they kept going on about frostbite if they'd just go "WELL THE MUSHI PROTECTED HIM and he got off scottfree for being a weirdo", but nah. Could have gone much worse for him, like the show said.

It's really great how this season is basically like the original show never ended; it completely picks up the reins and keeps going with the same level of quality and writing as previous. Everything is just fantastic. Episode two in particular had some really great and good looking bits.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

So uh did the Mushi provide him with oxygen down there, or magically keep him alive somehow?

I think the idea is that it put him in suspended animation. After all, it was lowering his body temperature abnormally, apparently it basically just shut him down for a bit.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

ice does not work that way. you know this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryopreservation

SUPERNATURAL FANTASY CREATURES

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That episode ruled. The color palette (the greens and blacks that matched its theme of rot) and art was really great.

It's really a great looking show. It doesn't ever have anything in the way of a lot of action typically, but it manages to always look stellar with what it does.

Phobophilia posted:

Ginko has his clothes and lenses, a few hunters have matchlocks.

Guns existed during the period, they were used during the Warring States period. They wouldn't be common but they'd certainly be floating around.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing that gets me is that even better than it feeling like Mushishi never went away, the new season is actually even better. The quality on these latest episodes have been insane.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The fact that he's such a Mushi magnet that he basically causes devastation if he dwells in a location way too long sort of reinforces just how much Mushi and him are interconnected.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that was something that happened with all Mushi-shi, hence why they're all nomadic?

Not really; we saw that blind girl's Mushi-shi father who only traveled because he was looking for cases but ostensibly had a home, and there was that village Mushi-shi who got a gullet full of cold fire who never left her village. If someone is a Mushi magnet, their wandering lifestyle + ability to interact with the Mushi just makes for a good Mushi-shi. Hence why Ginko was taken in by one after joining that one band for awhile. I mean, technically anyone who works on Mushi-related anythings could probably count as a Mushi-shi even, and we saw a lot of those who never left their village ever.

The only one who was a Mushi magnet like Ginko that we saw was the one who became the Mountain Guardian in order to set down roots.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Fantastic looking episode as always, though it's accomplished in part because they're very good at using interesting still shots before the threshold of where you notice it. The show is pretty drat static, just not noticeably so. The shots are always paced very well.

I dunno if you can really call this week's episode not a "downer", even if the ending wasn't bad. Yeah it was about overcoming depression, but that thing that made her depressed in the first place was fairly :smith: "Oh, I wouldn't want to marry a girl like you. Haha maybe I'll be around again sometime." Dude wasn't exploitative or anything, just a jerk.

Meanwhile, it's sort of interesting how Ginko responded to her despair. Ginko reflects that it is indeed sad to have no ability or will to impact the world, and that the world of the Mushi sort of embodies that. And that essentially is his world. He is a wanderer without a home, a past, and really any value in other people's lives. He wanders into people's lives occasionally and saves the day, but does he really have a life himself? The show is ultimately not about him or anything he desires or wants or feels. Beyond the first episode of the first season, we very seldom see him do something purely out of self-interest, and even then it is an extension of the craft he participates in. He's an ephemeral member of the mundane world and mundane people's lives. Just like the Mushi.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was a really good episode, yeah. They're really just knocking it continually out of the park this season :stare:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

Today's Mushishi episode is a live-action talk show with the director and cast explaining some things. Crunchyroll doesn't appear to be subbing it. Just a heads up.

Dumb that Crunchy is skipping it, that sounds interesting.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

Mushishi is not airing again this week.

Laaame. Is something going wrong with the production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

The production delays are why 2 episodes are BD-only.

Those episodes better end up online and subtitled :argh:

• Locked thread