Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Woden posted:

Cool ep, I just want to know how they did that shoulder bump with the two Alecs.

There's a ton of behind the scenes stuff for Orphan Black and how they allowed the lead to interact with numerous versions of herself. VFX have come a long way from split screening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pentyne posted:

They really put the extra effort into this show. One of the posters in the background of the student center said "Sonmanto", obviously a reference to Monsanto aka one of the most evil corporations currently in existence (along with Rio Tinto mining)

Oh, and the "Kent State? You mean the failed student revolution?" really captured the misinformation and dystopia of the future's educational systems.

That got my immediate notice, they really pulled a 1984 in the future with how far they rewrote the history books.

Landlord Alec is becoming evil. :( But otherwise was kinda bad rear end at schooling the other execs with the inspector.

I really want the two Alec's to be buds though, I can't imagine how unstoppable they would be, usually the problem with genius characters is that they just can't do enough in the time they have.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I was going to call them tie-Alec and scar-Alec, but landlord/squatter is a much more elegant metaphor, so good on you.

Right now, there's not really much to bring the Alecs into conflict. Landlord Alec appears to have decided that Emily is a liar who was just using him (or thought he was just a job), and has thrown all of his energy into Piron. Squatter-Alec just wants to run away to Thailand with his nubile redheaded assassin waifu and fix scooters for a living or something. They're both basically getting what they want, and Squatter-Alec seems to have very little further interest in time travel.

I'm sure they are being set up for some massive conflict/collision in the future, because THE NARRATIVE DEMANDS IT. Here are the potential conflicts as I see them:

1) Landlord Alec realizes that his feelings about Emily are more conflicted than he realized when he learns that he has shoved Emily directly into the arms of Squatter Alec, and decides to try and get her back.

2) Kiera decides that Landlord Alec is better suited to bringing out the future she and the Freelancers know, and decides that Squatter Alec is the one who needs to be, ahem, removed from the timeline, causing Squatter Alec to have to fight back against both of them. (Would this drive Squatter Alec towards Liber8 as they gain a common enemy? Maybe!). We already saw a very clear sign of this in the most recent episode, when Landlord Alec teamed up with the Inspector to persuade Piron's board to start rolling out their military projects to police departments. He knows from Kiera's knowledge of the future that military-corporate policing is the way of the future and that he is instrumental in making it happen, so if he's going to win the respect of the board and gain some real influence in the company instead of being stuck in some lab somewhere, this is the easiest way to do it. (Also a great way to sell his soul. Welp.)

3) Either or both Alecs learn that Emily killed his father in cold blood (admittedly before she knew about his connection to Alec). I could easily see Landlord Alec coming after Emily and Squatter Alec being forced to defend her, while feeling rather conflicted about it due to, you know, the whole killing his dad thing.

I definitely see Kellogg and Squatter Alec being forced to team up in any case, though I suspect the power dynamic will be different this time around. (I loved the bit in the season premiere where Alec is all "yeah, no, Kellogg, shut up, here is how it is".)

I think that the show is doing a fantastic job of showing Alec's character arc: both versions of him are really starting to show the characteristics of the terrifying corporate overlord he becomes in 2077, though with drastically different motivations and desires. I'm a little surprised by how well Alec's actor is pulling it off. He's got this scary fish-eyed intensity that works for the role (and you can see echoes of it in the Cigarette-Smoking Alec of the future), yet remains puppyish enough to remain endearing whenever he isn't being an obsessive timestalker or powerful CEO.

Nothing can convince me that Julian will ever be charismatic. A sadly miscast role.

Edited to add: I am thrilled with where this season is going. I didn't expect to have them let Landlord Alec discover the existence of Squatter Alec so soon, but I'm glad they did; it's yet another in a series of bold, confident moves that the show is making, and I am excited to see where they go with it. That said, I feel like this episode was the weakest of the season so far; it wasn't nearly as taut as the previous three. That's more than forgiveable, though, and it wasn't bad by any means.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 7, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The meeting between two Alecs was awesome. It's terrifying how intelligent he is, no wonder everyone cares about him.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Erik Knudsen was such a great casting choice, and not just because I totally buy him being a younger version of Cigarette-Smoking Man. He's really selling the hell out of his "cares about individual people (because Emily died)" and "doesn't care about individual people (because absolute power is kind of neat)" split.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He'd been popping up once in a while on other Canadian shows like Flashpoint and always showed a wealth of talent. I hope he has a long career.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Jericho, too, on this side of the border, but it's been a while so I don't really remember what he was like on that.

I really like whoever they have doing/picking the music for the show, too. They're doing a pretty great job of giving a foreboding, oppressive atmosphere, particularly at the end of each episode. This song from a couple of episodes ago has been stuck in my head ever since.

vvvv The music done just for the show as well, definitely.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 7, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like the show's regular music too, perfect for long awesome speeches about fate and liberty. The Liber8 "theme" is beautiful.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

eriktown posted:

I think that the show is doing a fantastic job of showing Alec's character arc: both versions of him are really starting to show the characteristics of the terrifying corporate overlord he becomes in 2077, though with drastically different motivations and desires. I'm a little surprised by how well Alec's actor is pulling it off. He's got this scary fish-eyed intensity that works for the role (and you can see echoes of it in the Cigarette-Smoking Alec of the future), yet remains puppyish enough to remain endearing whenever he isn't being an obsessive timestalker or powerful CEO.

I THINK his character on Jericho ended up being a complete FYGM rear end in a top hat post-apocalyptic super-capitalist, so he seems to have a particular niche down that the showrunners knew they wanted him for.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone know what song was playing at the college demonstration/rave from last night's episode?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eriktown posted:

Anyone know what song was playing at the college demonstration/rave from last night's episode?

We Don't Sleep Tonight by the Young Empires. It's this remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8edT2xCz9k

Edit: oh hey, first comment on that link is about the show!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This episode of Continuum reminds you: Don't forget to breathe.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

eriktown posted:

Nothing can convince me that Julian will ever be charismatic. A sadly miscast role.

The strange thing about this is that I enjoy seeing him on screen. It's very confusing. I also think it's worth noting that, more and more, I'm having issues with the perspective. The good kind, that make me think of the show as more than just entertainment. We've been over it before, but from my perspective, Liber8 (as crass as their methods can be, being terrorists and all) are the side I want to see win, because 2084 isn't a future I want to see. Sure, shiny future tech at the cost of the soul of humanity.

The dynamic between Kiera and Carlos shows this well, but I think it muddled in this episode. Carlos has been pretty well cast as the good cop, but his hand wringing over a fellow officer loving up and the urge to protect his own, despite the cold corporate time traveler saying that it was wrong, felt a bit off. Kiera is set up to slowly change into someone a bit more good than lawful, but it really felt odd for Carlos to be so bipolar between showing open misgiving about the hard line the police are taking ($20 says the only ideologies you find are beer pong and weed.) to being ready to throw the plant under a bus even though he knows better. "Working the case" and all, he knew the endpoint, but wouldn't go for it since he's having drinks with a corpse. :wtc:

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Warmachine posted:

The dynamic between Kiera and Carlos shows this well, but I think it muddled in this episode. Carlos has been pretty well cast as the good cop, but his hand wringing over a fellow officer loving up and the urge to protect his own, despite the cold corporate time traveler saying that it was wrong, felt a bit off. Kiera is set up to slowly change into someone a bit more good than lawful, but it really felt odd for Carlos to be so bipolar between showing open misgiving about the hard line the police are taking ($20 says the only ideologies you find are beer pong and weed.) to being ready to throw the plant under a bus even though he knows better. "Working the case" and all, he knew the endpoint, but wouldn't go for it since he's having drinks with a corpse. :wtc:

Yeah, if one of the two was going to go all Blue Wall of Silence, I definitely wouldn't have expected it from Carlos. He's a GOOD cop, not a good COP.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I can see Carlos being super distracted, additionally he had no evidence he could bring up that wouldn't paint him as some kind of traitor to the other officers so his hands were tied and busy holding a bottle of sweet Russian potato.

This show has amazing pacing, the Alecs meeting happened way faster then I would expect if this was more Lost-like.

I also enjoy Julian a lot, he doesn't have a lot of :nignog: but he's easily the kind of person I see being a modern remake of Lenin.

I think what could drive the Alecs to conflict is simple animosity for each other, Squatter Alec is angry that Landlord Alec could possible not forgive Emily, while Landlord Alec is angry at more of the sheer principle of the matter, not only was this doppleganger here and could possibly impersonate him, he's also different and potentially hiding information he wants; and not being able to get information is probably an alien thought for Alec, one he doesn't have a good taste for.

I think landlord Alec, with a taste for power may see Squatter Alec, on some subconcious level his only real enemy; the board members, liber8, other corporations, are all ultimately speed bumps he knows he's destined to crush into the ground into subservience.

But himself from merely a week into the future? This is an unknown that can rewind the entire Timey Whimey ball at will, its dangerous.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

pentyne posted:

Oh, and the "Kent State? You mean the failed student revolution?" really captured the misinformation and dystopia of the future's educational systems.

Maybe I'm just young, but I hadn't heard of the Kent State shootings until this episode of Continuum and subsequent googling.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ravane posted:

Maybe I'm just young, but I hadn't heard of the Kent State shootings until this episode of Continuum and subsequent googling.

man

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Man this show keeps getting better, I'm loving it. I just really wish they'd stop ending every episode with music montages.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ravane posted:

:stare: How young are you? Those are a pretty big part of high school US History. I suppose where are you from also matters.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Warmachine posted:

:stare: How young are you? Those are a pretty big part of high school US History. I suppose where are you from also matters.

A lot of Continuum viewers are gonna be Canadian. I've never heard of those shootings, and I am a late-20s Canadian!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Taffer posted:

Man this show keeps getting better, I'm loving it. I just really wish they'd stop ending every episode with music montages.

From what I can tell it's a very Canadian thing. Flashpoint did it practically every episode for 5? seasons. I've come to enjoy it. :shrug:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't get the whole thing with Carlos and future Kira. She's from a week further in the future and he's all "I don't even know you anymore."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't get the whole thing with Carlos and future Kira. She's from a week further in the future and he's all "I don't even know you anymore."

She's from another timeline. The Kiera he's known for a year, as a person, as anything, is dead. Shot in the head.

Meanwhile the person he literally doesn't know except that he actually does because the timelines are identical says that he should get over it because it's basically the same thing while sounding about as cold as you'd expect a ruthless future fascist cop also dealing with being estranged from her family sound.

So it makes it understandable why he's a bit messed up.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 8, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm also sure Future Kiera also seems a little unhinged to him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
We, the viewer, are totally cool with time travel poo poo happening.

Carlos, a normal guy who struggled to deal with the fact that Kiera was from the future, can barely cope with the fact that the woman he worked with was shot in the head and replaced by an exact time duplicate who is the same but isn't. That's just hosed up. Try to imagine coming home and finding someone you cared about dead, but hey, someone that's basically them is still there and says they're from an alternate timeline, it's all cool.

poo poo's all hosed up. The fact that Carlos didn't just accept it is awesome.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Warmachine posted:

Nah, I'm not Canadian. I just turned 22, and I went to highschool in California. I got an A in IB History of the Americas, so I know we never went over these shootings. Although, we spent more time studying the 1900s.

The only thing any teacher at my highschool ever mentioned about the Nixon era was the Watergate scandal. Nobody ever mentioned finishing Kennedy's Moon landing, or creating the EPA, or Nixon's excellent foreign policy. Goddamnit, I'm a Nixon man.

But yeah, I took Kiera's statement about the "failed student revolution" at face value until I read on here that it wasn't actually like that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mortanis posted:

We, the viewer, are totally cool with time travel poo poo happening.

Carlos, a normal guy who struggled to deal with the fact that Kiera was from the future, can barely cope with the fact that the woman he worked with was shot in the head and replaced by an exact time duplicate who is the same but isn't. That's just hosed up. Try to imagine coming home and finding someone you cared about dead, but hey, someone that's basically them is still there and says they're from an alternate timeline, it's all cool.

poo poo's all hosed up. The fact that Carlos didn't just accept it is awesome.

The fact that he's having bar time in the freezer with his partner's corpse is less so. Alek meeting his Gemini reinforces this though. Alek is well aware that time travel is possible, and all the weirdness that comes along with that. He's more like the viewer in that regard. "This is so Marty McFly."

Ravane posted:

Nah, I'm not Canadian. I just turned 22, and I went to highschool in California. I got an A in IB History of the Americas, so I know we never went over these shootings. Although, we spent more time studying the 1900s.

The only thing any teacher at my highschool ever mentioned about the Nixon era was the Watergate scandal. Nobody ever mentioned finishing Kennedy's Moon landing, or creating the EPA, or Nixon's excellent foreign policy. Goddamnit, I'm a Nixon man.

But yeah, I took Kiera's statement about the "failed student revolution" at face value until I read on here that it wasn't actually like that.

I distinctly remember lots of time being tread over the civil rights movement and the unrest over Vietnam once we got close to the end. We never really make it too far past that. In fact, I don't remember us ever covering things like the fall of the Berlin Wall. I'm from Michigan, myself. So, practically Canada. :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think I know about the Kent State shootings primarily because of the Neil Young song.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Basebf555 posted:

I think I know about the Kent State shootings primarily because of the Neil Young song.

Pretty much. That and all of the sundry image macros that photoshop the famous photo of it. I graduated in 94 and I don't recall ever going over the shooting, so I'm less than shocked that people wouldn't know about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ravane posted:

A lot of American high schools have gotten bad at teaching modern history but not briefly discussing Kent State is kind of crazy.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 8, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spacebump posted:

A lot of American high schools have gotten bad at teaching modern history but briefly discussing Kent State is kind of crazy.

My high school history classes always started way back in time and moved forward, always never making it far enough before the end of the school year so most of my history classes never made it past like WW2 so I had a very poor understanding of recent history until after Highschool when I started to learn on my own.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Ravane posted:

I wish Carlos had flipped his poo poo on that a little bit - now that he's in the know about when she's from I'd think he would be intensely interested in how they view our time, especially things like that which played a hand in changing things in the 20th century.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

tasslex posted:

I wish Carlos had flipped his poo poo on that a little bit - now that he's in the know about when she's from I'd think he would be intensely interested in how they view our time, especially things like that which played a hand in changing things in the 20th century.

I was ready for him, for a lot of this episode, to just flip out and be like "You realize your future for the most part sounds awful right? Why don't you go read any of the books they make us read in high school here? Christ."

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

He does all his lecturing to the other Kiera, is the thing. She's quite well-grounded in 20th-century politics now, since she just lets him talk it out and hardly ever interrupts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She doesn't have the eye mole during the future flashbacks. Immersion ruined.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

She doesn't have the eye mole during the future flashbacks. Immersion ruined.

In 2077 they photoshop you in real time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They still spell words with numbers, they ain't all that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ravane posted:

When I went to Watchmen when it first opened, my friend was CERTAIN that the scene in the opening showing the Kent State massacre was an example of their version of history being different from our own. It's like that Patton Oswalt joke about how we're living in a comically evil alternate universe since about 2000.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Apoplexy posted:

When I went to Watchmen when it first opened, my friend was CERTAIN that the scene in the opening showing the Kent State massacre was an example of their version of history being different from our own. It's like that Patton Oswalt joke about how we're living in a comically evil alternate universe since about 2000.

You wouldn't happen to have a yt link for this bit or a closer name to it would you? I haven't followed Oswalt's comedy in years but would love to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tokubetsu posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a yt link for this bit or a closer name to it would you? I haven't followed Oswalt's comedy in years but would love to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0yNDgPTgI

• Locked thread