Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

HenryEx posted:

Oh hey, you didn't show off Nana's secret passage.
In the Demon King Castle part B, Kumo and Nana are in similar long vertical allways with a long block of wall in the middle. Kumo has the entrance at the top of the wall block to tip you off that you can pass through it via hidden passage.
In Nana's room, you can't pass through, but there's still a hidden passage leading to something nice. I think there's no enemies inside it, either.

Yep, you're right. Found that while glancing through maps a little while after actually writing that out. It's going to be in a catch-up update, along with assorted treasure hunting for the rest of the items I missed or skipped out on.

Cake Attack posted:

You're dead to me.

Unless I end up winning by proximity anyway, in which case we're cool.

Actually totally doable up to the point I've played so long as I only die one more time at most!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Einander posted:

Actually totally doable up to the point I've played so long as I only die one more time at most!

Welp, your contest entry was fun while it lasted, Cake Attack.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

Einander posted:

The switch turns off the knife trap. For good, even, so long as you don't switch it back.

It doesn't just turn off the knife trap in that room, it also turns on the knife trap in the room over. :eng101:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Valkama posted:

It doesn't just turn off the knife trap in that room, it also turns on the knife trap in the room over. :eng101:

...son of a bitch. Now that you mention it, yeah, you're right. I remember that from my last playthrough. I'll edit that in.

One day, I will have an update without a correction or an elaboration. Some day.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
No Name Choice Wine is such an rear end of a recipe :argh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Heavy neutrino posted:

No Name Choice Wine is such an rear end of a recipe :argh:

But using it ups your HP by 6! That's worth two Stamina Ups. It also buffs you with Euphoria, which can be pretty nice for hard battles (+20% Attack and +30% Crit).

I updated the Debug mod so you can now avoid scripted damage (like traps or falls) by holding ALT and also escape from battles by holding ALT and Defending, if you're into that sort if thing. :)

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 1, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just powered read through this thread. I am really enjoying the LP so far.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

...I never realized that The Disease existed. :saddowns: No wonder (Dungeon name)The Imagination was incredibly hard; I had skipped an entire area!

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
So I've made it to a certain I-think-late-game dungeon called the Imagination and ... I'm getting the graphics error. Just to let you know that the graphics pack doesn't fix everything (for me, anyway), but using applocale to run it in Japanese locale does work if the pack unfortunately doesn't.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's the name of the error? Same thing? And what's your OS?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chapter 09: "...and proceeds to unreasonably and mercilessly slaughter them."
(Sands of Remembrance 2, Death Rat House, Nana 5, Aaron Aaron 4)

Here's my status going into the Sands for the second time.

Camil is pretty impressive physically right now--the Double Horn and Kelde Laude make a big difference. She still has quite a few battles to go before the Sagarmatha is mastered, at which point she'll swap the placements of the Kelde Laude and Sagarmatha.

Randolf is losing a little defense and HP by trading out the Salad, but he gets a Skill boost and he'll eventually have higher SP with the Ruined Story on. It's unlikely he'll get leveled that far, though; the Ruined Story is pretty much a stopgap item right now, filling places until I get a better all-Purpose item (that isn't a weapon or armor).

Thanks to the upgrades, I can take out a Red Scorpion in two rounds if I get two swings or a critical at least once, and she's got a 41% chance of a double swing and a 16% critical chance per turn. 75% of a two-round kill, more or less, and a one-round kill isn't compeletely impossible. If the Scorpion summons on their first round, I'll lose a bit more HP, since Camil can kill normal Scorpions in two swings. Blue Scorpions will require a Lightning assist, but they're still easy to kill in one round.

This is the difference actual optimization makes.

A black scorpion catches me in the tunnel on the way to C2, letting a red scorpion catch up, but it isn't that bad--this is my status afterward. I'm in pretty good shape! Especially since I can probably kill black scorpions with Camil to let Randolf regen SP; if he swaps out the Steam Bun for the Snow Maiden (to take advantage of its Recover SP when Defending ability), then he'll get quite a bit of SP back.

This red scorpion is a necessary fight on the way to B2, since you need to go left and there's no room to dodge.

Not a problem, though.

I kill a couple of black scorpions to regen SP, but Camil keeps killing them on the first turn before Randolf's Snow Maiden can kick in. :( First world problems, man. A third one dies on the way to C2, and Randolf actually gets to defend that time; the three battles have brought him back to 34/42 SP and they're both very near full SP. I also get two Scorpion Pincers! +100 gold a piece is nice.

I grab the pot in the house in C2, the chest near the exit to B2 (gold and a Glass Fragment), and the Glass Fragment here. Then I go south.

I enjoy grabbing this chest in B3. It's just funny to taunt the scorpion. Then I grab the 50 gold in the house to the left of it but don't mess with the red frog-shaped enemy inside; they'll appear elsewhere later.

That HP loss was from a single critical from a red scorpion, since I decided to thin it out in the courtyard below. See all those blue scorpions? The red scorpion runs towards you and triggers all of the blues to attack you. Killing the red from up here and rushing through the level before it respawns does a lot to increase your odds.

The reds aren't especially threatening at this point, since Camil can often take out a summoned scorpion by herself, but they still hit pretty hard.

I kill two more normal scorpions for SP regen to clear the way, but they hit Camil both times. It's kind of annoying.

So I switch her over to the Lucky Rabbit over the Marbled Meat at about this point. So long as I don't screw up and fight multiple reds, her max HP isn't TOO important; the additional drop rate and additional critical chance will do more. Up to an 81% chance of a two-round kill now, assuming no first-round summon.

And she's not at full HP anyway, because the normal scorpions are being opportunistic dicks.

Some careful weaving around a blue scorpion, and now we're on the upper-left side of C2.

It's kind of a pain to dodge the Green Horned Lizards in here. Once you fight one, the others start to move normally.

Still not too threatening to the new and improved team, though. That's Camil with Shout.

A blue scorpion is in the way. Even with a first-round Lightning assist, its group attack very nearly takes out Camil--that's in the realm of random variance.

Then the chest below it only has 5 gold. :( I use a Stamina Restore; that's the first healing item used.

I kill another two scorpions on the way back through C2. The Double Horn now gives +26 attack. Camil is even more of an SP-less wrecking ball now. Randolf's also back to full SP.

By some small miracle, I don't fight anything on my way through A2.

I promptly squander the miracle by deciding to check out the well in the middle of A2. Probably not the best idea; the screen's a bit of a clusterfuck around that area.

So this time I do it properly, taking advantage of the screen change to A2 to heal and the respawn timer on red enemies, fighting the red scorpions one-by-one. I only have to take out two to get there through the center, so it isn't too difficult.

Examining the well leads here. The chest contains a Glass Fragment.

The bigger problem is getting back; quite a few blacks and blues spawn around the well to start, so going left takes a bit of effort. I fight one black and evade the rest, but the time taken means I have to fight the screen's third red scorpion.

The Lucky Rabbit goes up to level 2 just before the fight, bringing Camil up to 31 Critical. She double-swings and crits once against the red scorpion, and the high-end variance on Randolf's Light Axe is enough to bring it down in just one round.

It's so beautiful.

I check out Blue Scorpion Clusterfuck Island, just out of curiosity, then decide to clear it out. It takes four kills of each (including one tense fight with two Scorpions and one Blue Scorpion), and in the process I get two of the blue scorpion drop, the Scorpion Body. It's +15 HP, the same as the Marbled Meat and just +1 better than the White Dragon Breath. Not bad, I guess? But still not very likely to get used.

In the process, I use an Energy Restore to revive Camil after an unlucky attack. Two healing items, now, out of my 14 non-equipped bottles. 5 more Stamina and 7 more Energy to go.

Randolf's leveled up the Magnificent Zenith along the way, too. +26 Skill and a lot of other bonuses, too.

Can't say it's not worth it, though. There's a planting spot in The Snow Fields, so that's next.

I make some poor calls on the screen to the south, A1, but I figure out the right route... Which is, do not go right, because it's a death trap. No room to run, a shitload of scorpions, right between the spawning points of two red scorpions.

The problem with Energy Restores being your only means of revival and the current two-person party is that if someone dies, the 25% heal means that you're probably going to get stuck in a revival loop until you die. That's part of what makes multiple enemies so dangerous--it vastly increases the odds that one character will go down in any given round, and that's often fatal.

First step: take out the two red scorpions near the start. I use the screen transition to heal after the first one.

(I get another one-round against a red on the second time! And it didn't even get to move. That feels incredibly great.)

Then I slowly work my way south.

There's another red scorpion up on the ledge.

Randolf's maxed the Rat Slayer; I stick him with the Karate Chopstick, just for general levelling. The +32 Skill on the Rat Slayer will be useful for boss fights, especially since it also gives +8 HP and a little attack.

Another +10 Attack level on someone I will never use as a physical fighter except in a last resort. That is kind of depressing.

By the way, look to the right. See that discoloration at the edge of the screen? Notably, fake walls are a lot more distinct in battle, especially in the pre-battle engagement period.

The back door leads to a gated area with a Glass Fragment chest.

On the way back, I kill a lizard that's being stubborn about getting in the way; it drops a Lizard Tail.

Lizard Tails are good items! +15 HP and Recovery Speed UP. It does what it says on the tin.

Nothing notable on the rest of the screen, though I fight some scorpions to regen HP and SP.

I fight a red scorpion. I'm now one-rounding them pretty often.

The second chest here is a rusty chest Camil can open, giving up another Glass Fragment.

Nana is by the north-center exit, the one that leads to the center of B2.

But for some reason this silence... I-It makes me feel uneasy.

Another Glass Fragment. If you talk to her again, she just ellipseses at you.

The building is just a hallway with doors at either end and lizards in-between.

I fight one or two blue scorpions, but the red is still dead and I pass through the center of B2 relatively unmolested.

We're here!

The tower has a spring, a save point, a chest, and a set of stairs upward.

As a weapon, the Zara Sword is the Sagarmatha 1.1, having the same +20 Attack bonus in addition to +6 Agility. Nothing massive, but a little more speed and a +6% flat increase in Extra Attack and Sporadic Guard helps.

In the All-Purpose slot, the Zara Sword is roughly equivalent to the Kelde Laude. If both are leveled, it's -1 Attack, -3 Critical, and +8 Agility, and since both have Extra Attack+1 to make Agility matter, that's a winning trade.

The problem is that the Zara Sword is nowhere near as good in the weapon slot. It's like the Fire Emperor Sword--it doesn't matter how good a weapon's All-Purpose effect is if it doesn't have the levels for the stat bonuses it needs to be competitive. If the Zara Sword isn't leveled, it's instead -4 Attack, -6 Critical, and +2 Agility, and no one's ever going to argue that that's better.

So the Zara Sword goes to Randolf instead, since he can use the +6 Agility. Plus, it can't hurt to have an Extra Attack +1 levelled for him.

This is the only other floor. It's not a very tall tower.

Talk to him again, and:

That's what it says in the "Demon King Chronicle," anyway.

Interesting that Kumo identifies this Tower in particular as being the one from Chapter One, "Tower." Of course, the question is whether him saying that actually means anything.

(Of course it does.)

The hole is a link back to the shortcut hub. It has two exits additional shortcut exits, along with the one back to The Nest at the bottom.

The one on the left is unbreakable; it's connected to another shortcut hole somewhere else. Inside is a chest containing a Glass Fragment and a hole.

Jump in?
>Yes

>> Are you sure?

>>> Yes

It's pretty much unnecessary. It's good to have the warning if you get here in really dire straits, but 26 damage is pitiful.

More importantly...

This is part of the real danger behind these holes. This doesn't break the bottles themselves--I'll be able to get all of my potions back when I hit up a spring again. But not every area at the bottom of a hole is as brief or as harmless.

The Zara Mantle, as an armor, is basically the White Dress 2.0, having the same small +2 Agility bonus at base but having +24 defense instead of +10.

As an All-Purpose, the Zara Mantle has a wide smattering of bonuses: +5 Attack, +12 Skill, +5 Defense, +4 Critical, and +10 Agility, in addition to the Fast Attack ability. Despite the +Skill, it is very definitely a fighter equip; Extra Attack+ means that Agility matters a lot more for physical attackers, and the critical's a nice bonus as well. Even so, it's a little too much of a generalist equip to use in normal circumstances.

It goes on Camil. The White Dress is at 2 Stars if she needs to use it for SP regeneration, and it'd be nice to have an option for Fast Attack that's better than the Nails. And hell, it'll be good to have leveled if I ever decide to run her as a mage for an area, since +18 Skill will almost be as good as the +20 I'm getting from most unleveled +Skill stuff.

It connects to the top of the cliff above The Nest, so I head back.

Nana and Kumo head out to their respective dungeons.

And they've even left notes to say so! How thoughtful of them.

(Notably, I missed a conversation with Hiku Kumo about Ares. I'll cover that in a catch-up update down the road.)

Correspondingly...

...Camil's Demon King Chronicle has updated again, whether by its own hand or by Camil's.

All that can drat well wait, though. I've got shopping to do.

I sell most of my scorpion parts (all three types are 100 gold apiece--not bad) and some other miscellenea and buy the Varnished Bird Wing, which gives +20 Defense and +8 Agility. It's pretty good armor.

It's also an excellent All-Purpose, giving +20 Skill, +5 Defense, +4 Critical, and +12 Agility. It also has two other powerful extra benefits, which I'll discuss later.

Then I head off to plant the Magic Bean I got before heading back to the shortcuts.

It's time for revenge... Against something I never actually fought or died against this time around. There's no reciprocity, so I guess it's just "venge"? Except that that's an archaic word that also means to take vengeance.

This is just one of the many ways that our language is poorly-equipped to deal with time travel. We need to fix that before we actually invent any. Let's call it prevenge.

Anyway, Death Rat House. The primary threat of the rats is that they hit about four times and do fairly good damage each time. One attack string will nearly kill someone at this level.

Camil switches the Sagarmatha and the Kelde Laude for this area, both to level up the Laude and because Sporadic Guard helps when there's that many chances to halve damage.

The intent here is to move into to trigger their swarming, then to engage them one at a time. They won't leave the house, so it's fairly easy to take them at your leisure. Two is fine. Any more than that is trouble.

That's five Killer Rats. I did not actually die here.

I know, I'm surprised as you are. They were so close that I could hit at least three with one Light Axe, and the rest came down to good luck with swings, crits, Sporadic Guard, enemy targeting, and enemies missing.

You see, some equipment has an invisible +evasion bonus. Camil's wearing the Lucky Rabbit, which has +4% evasion per level, and it's leveled twice--due to the 100% per level bonuses on it, that's +12% chance of avoiding any attack. It activates just enough to let both characters pull through.

(I told you the Lucky Rabbit was good.)

The Rat Fang is used in a recipe, so I never actually checked, but when equipped, it's apparently +1 Attack, +3 Agility, and Extra Attack +1. It's kind of disappointing; even if you come here and get one as early as you can, the Karate Chopstick gives the same ability with better stats.

These books... They help remind me of my purpose. I threw the ones I finished into that hole though, so there aren't too many remaining.

We may have already talked to him all the times we need to, but we still get a Glass Fragment for our troubles. Again:

A man's purpose begins to fade over time. 19 years. The man I respected most in this world continued to fight towards an impossible goal for 19 years. He was a great man.

I'm not quite sure who he's talking about here. If he's talking about Aeritz, then he's done quite an about-face from the storytime segments, hasn't he?

The hole is currently inaccessible, but remember it's there and that Kumo's throwing books about Zelphie down wherever it is. It ties into a neat thing later on.

Saying the name of this item properly requires you to play an awesome electric guitar riff on the last syllable. Unfortunately, that's very difficult to reproduce in text.

+40 Attack, 64 Range, +15 Skill, and +10 Defense as a weapon, and +20 Attack, +15 Skill, and +12 Defense as All-Purpose. Unfortunately, both forms have Slow Attack. If you can afford to use a Fast Attack item or to go last, then it's great! Otherwise, you're pretty likely to forget you have it.

Fake wall. The barrel accessable from the back has a Glass Fragment.

The chest has a Glass Fragment.

This area also reveals one more thing:

The name of the shortcut hub. It's called Her Memory.

Which is a pretty awesome detail, really--the area that connects all of the places Camil has traveled to, the places that she may be writing about (if the Chronicle isn't completing itself), is called Her Memory. It's appropriate!

And if you invest it with any actual meaning, then this suggests that Her Memory isn't actually "real," just like The Dragon Mountain wasn't "real." Her Memory connects the individual places she travels to, just as she's connecting pieces to finish the Chronicle. It's the physical representation of her story, just like The Dragon Mountain was to Randolf. If someone tried to visit it without her there, they wouldn't find anything.

Knowing the name also increases the importance of another, older question: who's the "His" of His Memory, the area behind Camil's new mirror?

Back to gameplay. This area may look familiar. Death Rat House is connected to the same hub area as the tower in the Sands, and you can complete Nana's story without talking to her in the Sands, so the bulk of the Sands is actually entirely optional so long as you have some way to get through Death Rat House.

When you talk to Nana outside the tower, she heads in. I ignore her, moving south to B2; there's still things I need to do in the Sands. I haven't seen all the screens yet.

Camil masters the Sagarmatha along the way, so I swap it and the Kelde Laude. I head from B3 to C3.

Then Camil masters the Lucky Rabbit, too.

Please compare this screen to the previous one, and remember that Camil has both Extra Attack +1 and Sporadic Guard.

She is currently kind of an unholy terror.

Randolf also masters the Magnificent Zenith around this point.

Beautiful, isn't it? He also got another +3 SP/+1 SP/+10 Attack level. I think this is his fourth? He switches over to +4 Attack about this point, which is the main reason he ends up with more base Attack than Camil; the +10 Attack levels just help him catch up.

Attack does influence spells, if generally not as much as Skill (the exact amount varies by spell), so more of it is handy.

Anyway, C3 is mostly an elevated plateau winding around a building with a fake wall.

Inside is the Samurai Wife Bento recipe and the Black Sesame, which gives +20 HP when equipped. It's the +HP record at this point.

There's also a chest with +10 gold.

Not much else of note. There's a reason I've just completely stopped describing enemies at this point--even red scorpions aren't very threatening now.

Back to B3. B3 has no treasure left, so it's really just a transitional screen back to A3, then A4, then the exit. I'll hunt down the four chests remaining some other time.

Four more achievements in His Memory: "Take 20 damage in one attack," "Find 30 Treasure Chests," "Defend 50 Times," "Collect 5 Recipes."

The next area unlocks.

These are all +stat crystals. Notably, Camil has a lot of +Agility crystals in His Memory, which is more reason to build her as a fighter.

Finally...

There's a recipe I can cook and haven't yet.

The Samurai Wife Bento is +5 Attack, +15 HP, +5 SP, and +20 Defense. I swap out the Energy Restore for it; Randolf is losing a little Skill and Agility, both of which he has plenty, in exchange for precious, precious durability. It's a good trade.

2 Hit Combo is a multi-hit spell of questionable utility. Too high a cost, too low an effect, and it has an HP use threshold... But it does benefit more from high stats than most skills, simply by virtue of hitting multiple times.

At this time, I grab two items from the Mole's tunnel which I didn't before. I knew about this Glass Fragment, I simply didn't bother to grab it. It twinkles against one of the walls near the end here.

I did NOT know about the Alma Moon here, which is in the exact same spot but twinkles much less often and only appears if you leave and then come back. Demon King Chronicle :argh: Thank you, Valkama.

+18 Attack, 32 Range. Critical Damage 1.5x is a pretty good ability! The problem is that it requires the +20% critical of the Snow Rabbit to be consistent at all, and then you need a Extra Attack + All-Purpose to be competitive offensively, and you also need a strong +Attack item, and then you're out of slots and also made of paper.

The All-Purpose is all over the place: +10 Attack, +7 Skill, +10 HP, +5 Defense, +4 Critical, +6 Agility. The Mind's Eye skill seems to be an awful attack spell with a high cost. I suspect it might be stronger in one specific case, but I'd have to test it.

Back in the tower...

My legs... I can't go any further. ...... Camil, please... Please give me a hand.

> Nod

Then Nana joins up.

The lack of All-Purpose slots is a pretty good indicator that Nana isn't here to stay. Her Soul Shackles equip gives +10 HP, +5 SP, and +10 Defense and is a completely normal armor--we can take it off or give it to other people, so it isn't very good at the whole "shackles" thing.

Notably, the Soul Shackles level up by 60% each time, not the usual 20%. So, fully leveled, they give +28 HP, +14 SP, and +28 Defense. They're pretty good armor.

+12 Skill, +10 HP, +5 SP, +8 Defense, +1 Critical and Slow Attack as an All-Purpose. It maintains the higher per-level bonus of the Armor version, so it'd normally be useful, but that skill is painful. Theoretically you can use it in boss fights, which will go multiple rounds anyway... Except that Slow Attack affects potions too, and you don't want to be stuck with "goes last" when you need healing. Fast Attack cancels it out and leaves you at normal speed, but most Fast Attack items have low stats. It doesn't get used.

That's it for this time. But first, story time!

She didn't know why this was. Without understanding why... she turned her back on the boy. The girl waited by the seashore. A long time ago, she searched through washed-up garbage with the boy here. She clutched the "Demon King Chronicle" to her chest with both hands, and she looked out over the sea.

Sigh... She saw an island far in the distance. There was a tower on that island. At the top, there was a small light.

The girl felt a strong compulsion. She needed to climb that tower. She felt as if the book clutched to her chest was compelling her to do so.

The girl set out alone on a boat rowing over the vast ocean under the quiet night sky.

It's probably just the translation, but I like to imagine that this means she just jumped on a self-rowing boat that goes between the Island and the Continent. It's very fairy tale-esque.

Aaron Aaron himself has nothing new to say, but he's published another edition of his theory on the Demon King Chronicle.

So, let me tell you about the ending I have come up with. Harold makes his appearance to face off against the 3 heroes from the previous chapters, Sera, Ritzea, and Randolf,

This is the ending that my research has lead me to. I do of course have a basis for this theory. And it is related to the "flower" incident that I explained previously. I believe that Ares, Flodnar and Aeritz all gave a special "flower" to a village woman. And I believe these "flowers" were originally Harold Diester's. I believe that those three stole some flowers from Harold Diester, which he had been working hard to raise while living on the island.

Once you take this into account, everything makes perfect sense. This gives us the real reason why Harold Diester worked on the book. To seek revenge. Harold Diester held a grudge against all three of them, and sought out revenge through his story. First, he wrote out their own stories in painstaking detail. These are very clear cut hero stories.

Harold Diester planned his revenge out his revenge to take place in his own fictional world. However, since Harold Diester passed away before he could complete the story, the world only knows the "Demon King Chronicle" as a simple tale of heroic deeds.

If you remember the first minute of this game, then it's very tempting to immediately dismiss this as bullshit. Remember, Camil heard a voice asking her to complete the story and "carry out my Will to the end." It's safe to assume that's Harold Diester. But if he was writing the story as revenge porn, then is he really going to get any satisfaction out of the process if someone else finishes it for him? I mean, he's dead. You can only hold a grudge so long.

But then again, there was that book in the chamber The Mole unlocked...

This does seem to lend some credence to Aaron's theory--it says "destroy everything," not "and be defeated in an inspiring tale of heroic triumph." That suggests that the Demon King is supposed to win.

But if that's the case, then how can Camil inherit that "Will"? I guess you could say that Randolf, Nana and Kumo are standing in for the heroes of their respective chapters, so... As the effective narrator of the meta-tale, the one who collects the pieces and finishes the story, I guess that makes Camil Harold Diester's proxy in the same way, so...

...huh. Well, I guess the question is whether the final boss is going to be one-on-three or three-on-one. Who gets to be the protagonist at the end? Maybe it's like (unrelated game spoiler) Breath of Fire 4 and we get to pick.

Well, next time, we'll complete the next step of her dastardly plan when we climb The Tower. I'll see you then.

Annihilation Record:

Annihilation count:29
[2014/03/28 19:54] Defeated at Sands of Remembrance by Scorpion.
[2014/03/28 19:39] Defeated at Sands of Remembrance by Scorpion.

Current winner: Cake Attack (26)
Next: Feldherren (35)

Battle Record:
2014/03/29/ 00:35:53
Demon King Chronicle

■Battle results
Playtime:07:34:53
Save count:106
Steps taken:40091
Battle count:352
Max damage:160
Max damage taken:46
Items:35 Types 85 Items

■Treasure Chests
The Nest: 5/8
Demon King's Castle: 21/26
The Hamlet: 29/31
The Snow Fields: 12/20
The Dragon Mountain: 6/6
Sands of Remembrance: 22/26
The Disease: 1/20
Unmapped area: 7/10

■Camil(13)
HP:47
SP:32
Attack:99
Defense:44
Range:20
Critical:49
Skill:15
Agility:42
・Kelde Laude(2)
・Zara Mantle (1)
・Lucky Rabbit(3)
・Double-horn(2)
・Sagarmatha(3)

■Randolf(12)
HP:69
SP:31
Attack:64
Defense:63
Range:32
Critical:8
Skill:95
Agility:46
・Zara Sword(1)
・Varnished Bird Wing(1)
・Samurai Wife Bento(0)
・Magnificent Zenith(3)
・Old Lady Anna's Poison Steam Bun(2)

■Top 10 defeats
Rat(130)
Monkey(57)
Scorpion(57)
Mutt(37)
Abominable Snow Monkey(30)
Turtle(26)
Scorpion(26)
Scorpion(24)
Turtle(20)
White Dragon Wisp(15)

Glossary:

No new entries.

Einander fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 2, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

The Samurai Wife Bento is +5 Attack, +15 HP, +5 SP, and +20 Defense. I swap out the Energy Restore for it; Roland is losing a little Skill and Agility, both of which he has plenty, in exchange for precious, precious durability. It's a good trade.

Uuuhh...

That aside, new item effect! Recovery Speed UP reduces the time until you recover fully to a third. Recovery Speed DOWN (which also exists) triples the time instead.

Finally, the Book of Manslaying! Which i found before making it through the Snow Fields. Needless to say, it took a LONG time until Book + Nails combo plus Zara Mantle on Camil wasn't hilariously overpowered. Actually, i think you just about reached that point in the LP.

I'm note sure if you were aware, but: Both the Zara Sword and the Varnished Bird Wing do more than they seem to. Worn as All-Purpose items, the Bird Wing gives you a +12% chance to evade attacks and the Zara Sword grants +5% chance to evade. Evade on items is kinda rare and not displayed in the stats window. Other items with Evade we have are the Fine Pajamas (+4%) or the White Dress (+2%), for example, though you hardly feel the effects of those.

That's some interesting observation about Her Memory that i never considered. I like the implications.

I was kinda taken aback that Nana couldn't equip All-Purpose items. But why! They are still there, the game just doesn't display them! I implemented showing them in the debug mod and they work fine. :(

Apropos, i included a Party Selection screen in the debug mod now. In case you didn't get Nana to level 20 for her Glossary entry, here's your chance to go wandering with her.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Uuuhh...

That aside, new item effect! Recovery Speed UP reduces the time until you recover fully to a third. Recovery Speed DOWN (which also exists) triples the time instead.

Finally, the Book of Manslaying! Which i found before making it through the Snow Fields. Needless to say, it took a LONG time until Book + Nails combo plus Zara Mantle on Camil wasn't hilariously overpowered. Actually, i think you just about reached that point in the LP.

I'm note sure if you were aware, but: Both the Zara Sword and the Varnished Bird Wing do more than they seem to. Worn as All-Purpose items, the Bird Wing gives you a +12% chance to evade attacks and the Zara Sword grants +5% chance to evade. Evade on items is kinda rare and not displayed in the stats window. Other items with Evade we have are the Fine Pajamas (+4%) or the White Dress (+2%), for example, though you hardly feel the effects of those.

That's some interesting observation about Her Memory that i never considered. I like the implications.

I was kinda taken aback that Nana couldn't equip All-Purpose items. But why! They are still there, the game just doesn't display them! I implemented showing them in the debug mod and they work fine. :(

Apropos, i included a Party Selection screen in the debug mod now. In case you didn't get Nana to level 20 for her Glossary entry, here's your chance to go wandering with her.

Look, his name is difficult, okay? I correct it from "Randolph" several times an update.

Yeah, I know that about the Varnished Bird Wing--that gets covered next update. I probably should have mentioned the Evade on the Zara Sword during that comparison, too.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Hey HenryEx do you know where in the code the cutscene before the final form of the final boss happens if you have bought the crystal for it? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get there yet so i don't know what it is! I might have an idea though. I'll send you a PM.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

What's the name of the error? Same thing? And what's your OS?

That one's the graphical one. I've checked; I believe it's exactly the same as the one in the main post, character-for-character. This is with the English graphics pack added. Japanese locale solves it so maybe in my case it isn't looking for the differently-named graphics. It's running on a Windows 7 machine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah, I knew that I was forgetting something.

It seems you need to use AppLocale set to Japanese if you want RPG Maker XP to read Japanese filenames, period.

So your options are to either A) use the pack + AppLocale, or B) use Japanese system locale while unpacking the files and keep using it.

Switching to Japanese system locale after unpacking the original game and not using the pack won't help you either, as the filenames are screwed up by then.

A is generally easier and doesn't need you to set your overall system locale (thus, no restarting and all that). Some people won't be able to finish the game without doing one or the other.

Out of curiosity, SSNeoman, did you need to use AppLocale?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 2, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, i'm tired of crashes.
(Although i haven't reached that part of the game yet, so... tired by proxy?)

Here's a fix for the problem which should, once and for all, no buts and ifs, definitely work. That said, i haven't tested it because i haven't reached the crash yet.

Download the zipped file (direct link) and unzip it into the main directory of the game, where your Game.exe is. It should ask you to overwrite a file called Tilesets.rxdata.

Try that and get back to me if it works.

/edit: While i'm on that, i might try fixing any other left-over japanese references or text in the game. As mentioned before, the translation can be kind of sloppy at times. If you see any empty or broken-looking text boxes or the like in game where you suspect there should be text (japanese characters don't get displayed), let me know where it was.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 3, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nope, I used option B, Tallgeese.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HenryEx posted:

Here's a fix for the problem which should, once and for all, no buts and ifs, definitely work. That said, i haven't tested it because i haven't reached the crash yet.

Yes, this will work. You chose the right area (tileset 59) and graphic. I'm annoyed that I didn't think to do this myself, honestly. I also tested it, and nothing seems different from doing it my way.

I'm just wondering what the deal is with the sunset and night ones. Is there some day-to-night transitioning effect?

EDIT: As for something to fix... one of Aaron Aaron's textboxes messes up as he talks. See the sixth set of dialogue while he is blocking access to the inside of his desk and you'll see the problem; it's not formatted right. I'd do it myself, but I figure we just need one guy handling the bugs instead of having three sets of fixes hanging around.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 2, 2014

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Well if you want to handle bug fixes I'll give you all the ones I've noticed.

1. Laylaria's responses to people returning has poorly formatted textboxes
2. As mentioned above Aaron Aaron's has a similar error
3. Nana's 4th note is labled 3
4. The Ratslayer's description says Hronda rather than Flodnar
5. In the PM I sent you there was a bit of untranslated text
6. You can't get Randolf's glossary entry because it mixes up with the hero Randolf's glossary entry. In the Japanese text they had different names however it doesn't make sense to do it that way in English and it seems the Translators didn't account for this.

Nana's name is also mistranslated although I think I'll talk about that when we finish Nana's arc because it's probably just weird Japanese untranslatable stuff.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Re that spoiler: Maybe use Randolph and Randolf? Since they have different kanji names in Japanese...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That has its own problems. You'd probably have to rename party-Randolf to Randolph, or else the Flodnar-Randolf thing doesn't make sense anymore.

And then you get to go through 370 different maps in search of events where that name is mentioned or referenced.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Actually Flodnar named party-Randolf after hero-Randolf. In Japan when you name someone after someone else you don't use their full name just certain Kanji from it. In the English speaking world though we mostly just copy and paste the name and spelling. Renaming either of them is pretty much a no go. One thing you might do is change the hero to "Randolf(Character)" or something like that in the glossary.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the idea of writing yourself a warp room. Very nice.

...a little worried about how this escort is going to end up, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

About the glossary...

Couldn't you just change Hero Randolf's entry to, say, Randolf (Hero)? The relation would be immediately obvious. I imagine Randolf (Character) is a bit long and possibly confusing, since both are characters.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 3, 2014

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

Tallgeese posted:

About the glossary...

Couldn't you just change Hero Randolf's entry to, say, Randolf (Hero)? The relation would be immediately obvious. I imagine Randolf (Character) is a bit long and possibly confusing, since both are characters.

That would probably be the best yeah. Also Randolf(Character) might be too long anyways.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

EDIT: Never mind, I found how to get the new entry to appear.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 3, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just prefixed the "hero" names with spaces. Barely visible and the text parser can differentiate them. Minimal changes to game files. PROBLEM SOLVED, y'all can stop derailing this.

/late edit:
All right, i fixed all problems mentioned so far. Found a much simpler and better solution for the above mentioned problem, too. Here's the link. Fixes the final battle, the doors in His Memory, Laylaria and Aaron's dialogue etc.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 3, 2014

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chapter 10: "Only now can I... Truly understand Harold's feelings."
(The Tower)

Welcome back. Once Nana's here and in the party, climbing the first staircase leads to The Tower.

(I'm quite fond of Voice. It's definitely a "let's do this thing" sort of song.)

When you entered or left The Dragon Mountain, there was a circular fade effect not normally present in new areas. The Tower has the same effect--all story dungeons do, in both senses of "story." (But not Her Memory.)

Nana is equipped with the Book of Manslaying. It provides higher Attack and Skill than other options, but more importantly, it adds +10 Defense. She's difficult to keep alive at first but grows rapidly, so I'm going to take a different tack and avoid encounters less than usual.

The stairs continue up with no enemies to the first screen.

The Tower has a central gimmick: obelisks. Each floor has a number of obstacles that require you to fulfill a certain objective before you can continue on to the next level. This also means the levels themselves are fairly open, since you're seeking out various things.

This chest is definitely worth remembering. Like The Dragon Mountain, The Tower is only going to be here long enough for us to finish its story, but the Tower is a lot less straightforward. If I skip this chest, or any chest, or a miss an enemy drop, then it's gone forever.

These light-colored enemies are Wake Eaters. They don't move at all normally, but become fast and aggressive when you engage another enemy. Furthermore, they can move through walls.

Enemies of this type should always be taken out immediately when you enter a new floor; the potential for being swarmed is otherwise too great. Thankfully, Wake Eaters are pretty weak. The biggest danger is that they'll repeatedly kill Nana and keep her from levelling up.

Therefore, Nana spends her first battle just defending.

The Fang gives +14 Attack and +2 Defense. Good if you didn't get the Double-horn.

No, Nana isn't some kind of unholy stat god, that's the product of four levels. She always gets +8 HP/+2 SP/+5 Attack/+1 Agility every level, which does help mitigate her lack of All-Purpose items. (It eventually switches over to +3 HP instead of +8, though, so her HP count is never COMPLETELY absurd. High by normal standards, though.)

The rest of her utility comes from her skills, which are insanely powerful.

All allies, +30% chance of evading any attack for five turns. +30% evasion is one of the most common abilities in the game--there are two versions on three characters, and that's because it's always useful. Nana has the best version; the others come much later and have stricter HP thresholds for use.

Wish is learned at level 5.

Wish is really, really overpowered--effectively free party SP recovery totally changes your strategy. The amount is static, but 12 SP is plenty. So long as I'm not an idiot, the Tower will be a breeze from here on out.

Switches one and two.

Green Mud Men are not very impressive. Their Melt attack does drain HP, though, and they can poison and stagger.

Important: You need two Wet Stuff items for the Slimy Goop recipe, so if you want everything, you need to get three in this dungeon. They can't be acquired anywhere else. Slimy Goops are the best items for +HP that you have for most of the game, so they're good to have for holes; you may want to leave this dungeon with six Wet Stuff.

The Wet Stuff also gives +22 HP, making it notably better than all the +HP items so far. (Though I could have gotten a +30 HP item from the normal Bison in the Demon King's Castle.)

To the next area.

There's three groups like this, and they move down at a steady clip. There's just enough room to evade if you know what you're doing (and if you don't, how'd you get here?) There's also Wake Eaters on the sides to catch you if you screw up the timing. Don't.

On the plus side, if you do purposefully get in a fight by standing still, the enemies will all be in the same place, so a single Light Axe can probably take them all out at once.

The first switch of the second area is right in front of you. Make sure you hit it, because the game is already using the switches to dick with the player.

Two more enemy types: an improved type of Wake Eater called the Blaze-Eater with the same AI and an improved type of Mud Man, this time aggressive but slow-moving.

Camil masters the Double Horn at about this time. +35 Attack! It's providing a full 50% of her Attack stat at this point.

I AM A MASTER OF STRATEGY.

(That's three Wake-Eaters superimposed right on top of each other, plus a Blaze-Eater. Not actually all that threatening, since Light Axe takes out all three Wake-Eaters at once.)

Blaze-Eaters can hit all your characters for about twenty damage. They still go down in one Light Axe and two rounds of attacks.

Every single type of enemy here, no matter how difficult, gives 100 experience. So there's pretty much no reason to fight harder enemies unless you want better drops.

The Fiery Fang is actually worth seriously considering. Crimson Wind debuffs Attack, and +15 Attack isn't too shabby for an item that provides that kind of skill.

I replace the Sagarmatha with it on Camil. It's -1 Attack and -16 Defense, plus the loss of Sporadic Guard, but it'll be good to have it leveled and ready for the boss.

Nana's actually looking pretty respectable by now. Part of that is the Book of Manslaying's high stats, true, but Wish means that she's already incredibly useful. Her defense is a little low, since she can't use All-Purpose items like the Sagarmantha or the Samurai Wife's Bento, but her high HP makes up for it.

Left's a dead end.

You pretty much have to fight the Red Mud Man to get to these three switches. He's not too bad--very tough, can stagger and poison, requires about two attacks and two Light Axes, but you have Wish. That isn't too big a deal.

Their drop, Sticky Stuff, gives +32 HP and Slow Attack. Not really worth it, but it might see some use in surviving holes.

There's six obelisks and seven switches. Why?

Because the creators decided to see whether or not you can do basic arithmetic, apparently.

Talking to the obelisk causes it to ask you if you want to break an Empty Bottle to proceed. I am unable to tell you whether or not this is a permanent thing, because the idea of losing an Empty Bottle forever makes a part of me just kind of start screaming. I'm just not that brave, okay?

Thankfully, leaving the screen and returning resets it, and Red Mud Men stay dead. (Blaze-Eaters don't, though.) So it's kind of a moot point! I hit all but one of the switches this time and proceed.

The staircase between levels is exactly the same as last time.

Another floor. Six obelisks.

Passing under the arch causes this dark square to appear and removes an obelisk.

Shouldn't have actually done this one, though, what with the dark obelisks. I'll have to keep count.

The right side is complicated. Small, narrow, has enemies. Kill every single Eater before stepping onto it, you don't want to be swarmed.

The chest had a Stamina Up.

That said, they do follow predictable back-and-forth patrol routes.

You need to pass under every arch this time; no traps.

I screw up pretty badly on the next flight of stairs. It's not really any more difficult, I just messed up.

I make it through anyway, because Wish lets you use Light Axe with near impunity. That makes most issues null and void, really.

This next area is just plain counter-intuitive.

The Mud Men move quickly, but they're still patrolling in circles.

There's plenty of space to avoid them.

(Pushing this rock makes the red chest way back at the start accessible.)

Yay, I got the treasure! Then I go back and look at the obelisks. Wait, they're still there!

You unlock them by killing Green Mud Men. Presumably the idea is that you mess up once and then see the obelisk number is different, or that you kill the one directly to the left of the obelisks and see one break... But it's kind of annoying to be stymied because you're too good.

This time, there's vision-obscuring clouds on the staircase.

And then a bonus round immediately afterward. The change of background signifies that there's sometimes more than three groups on this new type of staircase and that the Wake-Eaters have changed to Blaze-Eaters. Still easy, though.

Another floor.

It's hidden in the cloud.

They're not very useful. +34 defense is nice enough, but the All-Purpose stats are bad; +10 Skill, +10 Defense, +3 Crit, and +3 Agility is once again in the region of "too general to be useful." Trip is good, but specialized; it's Agility-based, and you can destroy anything not immune to Stagger with enough Agility, but there's the old "usefulness / likelyhood to be susceptible" relationship.

First theory for obelisks: arches. Nope.

Second theory: Kill Red Mud Men or Blaze-Eaters. Nope.

It's actually time-based. An obelisk goes down about every five seconds, and this includes time spent after a fight first triggers. So you have about thirty seconds to clear the floor, but... It's very easy to do everything, go down, come back, and then just wait there.

In the course of events, Nana hits level 12. Passion Burst is basically Light Axe's badass big brother. It does have an HP requirement, the base strength is a little lower, and it has the same awful AOE, but it ignores 50% of defense compared to Light Axe's 30% and gains just as much from Attack as it does from Skill. Which is great, because, well.

Nana has a lot of Attack by now. A lot of that is the Book, but not all. Levelled Nana is legitimately badass, but Randolf's Light Axe is still a little stronger, thanks to his All-Purpose slots.

There's two of the harder style of staircase...

Then a very long one.

Very nearly to the boss, now.

But, someday they will have to return. Back to that desolate continent... Camil... I am grateful for the momentary peace you were able to give me.

This explains why The Nest is called that: all baby birds have to leave it eventually, right?

Up the stairs.

That raised platform has the boss battle. It isn't time for that yet.

The Fake Medicine should be "Placebo," and I usually just call it that. +36 Skill, +5 Agility, 1.5x damage taken. Its primary use is on Camil--she can use her speed and the high Skill bonus to hit groups of enemies and wipe them out before they have a chance to hit her. Fully-leveled, it's +57 Skill--that's a pretty massive bonus, especially at this point.

That said, it does have an invisible +10% evasion on it, so the 1.5x damage taken isn't as bad as it seems.

Back up.

Dropping that boulder back on the fourth floor opened the way to this chest back on the first floor.

It's pretty awful, especially if you've already picked up a Double-horn at the second part of the Demon King's Castle.

Now comes the part that sucks: the grinding.

You see, there are two special things here that relate to Nana's level. First, her final skill is unlocked at level 15. She's level 13 and her EXP curve is shallower than Camil or Randolf, so that isn't too problematic.

But there's a Glossary entry that unlocks at level 20. :( (Thank you for pointing that out, Tallgeese.) There's a level requirement for a Glossary entry in the next temorarily-available dungeon, too.

Of course, if you want to do that grinding, then there's a pretty safe and easy way.

If you're good, you can do this about twice per staircase--once against four Greens, once against two Greens and two Wake Eaters--for a total profit of about 1000 experience a screen.

Now, I have a save just before I did all of this grinding, but frankly it took a while and I may as well get some actual benefit out of it. So I'm going to keep going on the save where I ground all this out. It'll balance out in time.

Happy Ending Supremacy is deliberately overpowered. It bestows the Happiness stat, doubling Nana's Attack, Skill, Defense and Agility. It also gives her 50% evasion against all incoming attacks. Normally, Passion Burst does about 180.

That's with Happiness on.

I give her the Zara Sword while I'm levelling to get her some points in it, since it'd be nice to have her able to Passion Burst and then be healed--when Happiness is up, Nana is one of the most powerful characters in the game.

Camil's levelling the Placebo during this part; keeping the Lucky Rabbit on would get me way too much money, and I'm trying not to complete steamroll the rest of the game. She dies kind of a lot during this session, but I always bring her back before the experience.

And this is how much experience you get if you say, "gently caress it, I'm fighting absolutely everything on this staircase!" It's pretty doable if Nana goes in ready to Passion Burst.

During the levelling session, Randolf masters the Varnished Bird Wing, at which point it shows its true power.

Remember how I was talking about items having hidden evasion bonuses? There's another hidden stat, magic damage reduction. It's apparently a flat bonus. The Energy Restore, Stamina Restore, Fine Pajamas (as All-Purpose), and all Weapons in the All-Purpose slot, for instance, reduce anywhere from 1 to 20 magical damage, with 10 being the most common. Like evasion, this levels with the item.

The base evasion bonus on the Varnished Bird Wing is +12% and the base magic reduction is 10. So, fully leveled, its full All-Purpose bonuses are +32 Skill, +8 Defense, +7 Critical, +19 Agility, +18% evasion, and -16 to all incoming magic damage.

It's really, really good. Just keeping the Varnished Bird Wing on all game is a pretty legitimate choice.

(Also, drat is Randolf tanky now.)

Eventually, Nana hits level 20. It takes about half an hour. I head back at this point.

This is without the double drop rates item on during the levelling session, mind you.

Three achievements in His Memory: "Survive over 400 battles," "Take 50 damage in one attack" (thank you, Placebo), and "Deal 300 damage in one attack." I use them to buy three crystals for 1000, 1400, and 1800 gold: +10 HP and +4 Agility for Camil, +15 Skill for Randolf. The next area opens up; it has the second set of "max recovery up" crystals along with Camil's Inferno (level 3 attack spell) and another +Attack crystal for Randolf.

Once you pass through an area, the obelisks stay gone, so I refill my bottles (10 Stamina, 11 Energy) and head to the top.

There's one thing I missed while I was in the Tower:

On the staircase two screens down from the top rest area is this little guy, the Cutter. He's the "aggressive when other enemies attack, otherwise stationary" type, and there's a lot of Blaze-Eaters here. Most of the difficulty here comes from fighting him without getting too many other enemies involved.

Once you do get to him, he goes down in about two Light Axes or Passion Bursts. He hits fairly hard, killing a (level 15) Camil in two hits and Randolf or Nana in three, and moves fast and sometimes evades, but he's otherwise uninspiring.

The Demon Wings give +20 Skill, +5 Critical, +20 Speed and 5% evasion. It's strictly a one-time item; the Cutter does not respawn. Additionally (and this is the problem), it's used in a recipe.

Normally, I would have just done the boss over, but... My save in the Tower was before the 30 minute grinding session, so I broke down and used HenryEx's debug mod to get a Demon Wings. Hopefully I won't have to do anything like that again.

Camil's notably stronger now, thanks to all of those levels. If she doesn't have Shout up, she'll be the healer. If she does, Randolf will take over. She has Crimson Wind, and I intend to take advantage of it.

Randolf's job is not to die. He'll Light Axe when he can, and if Camil has Shout up, then he'll take over on healing.

Nana will use Wish to keep everyone high on SP. If she can use Prayer, she will, but the moment Happy Ending Supremacy goes live her job is to murder the hell out of the boss. She has a lot of HP but relatively low defense, so I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't die.

The Two-Headed Demon isn't very tough (because I'm overleveled). It has one physical attack that can hit twice, either one character twice or two characters once, and Freeze!, which can cause Stagger. It also has Purgatory, hitting all characters for mid-low damage.

On turn one, it hits Camil, letting her use Crimson Wind. It has an Agility-based success rate, and it doesn't work on either turn I try it. Turn 3 is when Happy Ending Supremacy goes live.

Both Passion Burst and Happy Ending Supremacy trigger Nana's cut-in image during this fight only.

The Two-Headed Demon has his own special cut-in image attack, Splitting Sword. I've only seen him aim it at Nana, but I think it can target anyone; it did about 100 to her each time.

Nana takes it home.

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah, concerning the recent update, i forgot to mention something - but since i tend to post giant walls of text, this might not be so great a loss. Einander tried one of the status attacks against the boss, i think Crimson Wind? That was kind of an unlucky break, because they're usually very useful. Here is what went wrong:

Resistance against status effects comes on a 6 point scale in this game - measured internally with letters A though F, A being very vulnerable and F being immune. The default standard for all status effects is C.
Resistance of player characters is a fixed scale: the chance to apply the effect to players for A is 100%, B 80%, C 60% etc until F is 0%, or immune. So status effects generally work on player characters 60% of the time. Camil is an exception: She has a B against Stagger and Sleep, so those effects work with 80% chance.
When a status effect is inflicted by a player character, the chance is equal to the character's Agility, multiplied by a number dependant on the enemy's resistance, which is: 4 (A), 2 (B), 1 (C), 0.5 (D), 0.25 (E) and 0 (F) for each respective rank. In the most common case of affinity C, that means the chance of state application is equal to your character's Agility.

Now, the boss he was fighting, the Two-Headed Demon, has two notable resistances apart from being instadeath-immune: a rank E against Attack Down (e.g. Crimson Wind) and rank D against Defense Down (e.g. Azure Wind).
Camil's agility wasn't too high, but over 50 is usually good enough to get a status effect applied in a reasonable time. Thanks to his resistance, the boss cuts that chance for Crimson Wind down to a quarter, though, which is... pretty bad.

tl;dr: The boss' resistance against the status effect quartered the chance on Crimson Wind, usually it's more effective!

I'm no longer just "a girl."

I hope you find a happy ending for your own story. I'm praying for it.

She returns her equipment, including the Soul Shackles she originally brought. Very generous!

No longer just "a girl" probably refers to something from her Glossary entry, posted at the end of this update. (That's what I needed her level 20 for.) She's apparently been using an alias, so "no longer just 'a girl'" presumably means that she's planning to take some action explicitly as Nana Eluonto, probably something dealing with Zelphie's past actions.

The fact that her nameplate says "Nana Eluonto" anyway suggests that either a) story world-warping is happening again (narrators often know things that the characters don't, and Camil is half-narrator here) or b) it's a localization goof.

Valkama posted:

Yeah Nana's name is a translation error. Her name in the Japanese version is Eluontonana(Very clever disguise) but she uses Nana as a nick name throughout the game still. It's really a bad gently caress up on their part. On the other side of things Eluontonana might sound very awkward to English speakers so I don't really know how to fix it.

Back in Nana's room, her own story is gone; just like Randolf, she's sent it down the river.

...and just like Randolf, the Demon King Chronicle is gone, too.

Only now can I... Truly understand Harold's feelings.

I joked about it at the time, but if you paid attention, then you'd have noticed that when Randolf's Demon King Chronicle went missing, a matching book appeared behind Aaron Aaron. Look back in Chapter 01: no books. Chapter 06? One book. Now? Two books.

If he's making these theories, then he's almost certainly read the Demon King Chronicle all the way through. Why is he stealing those specific copies?

This update's just about over, but there's one more thing to cover while Nana's still fresh in our minds: there's something notable about her fourth story. (Update 7.) You'll see that she says "didn't get the baby brother she longed for," but she says nothing about what happened to that baby brother.

Do you remember how I mentioned that there's a "pay what you want" on Playism for art of the game? Each of the art pieces included is titled.

This picture is titled "Siblings." Hardly conclusive proof, but it's interesting, isn't it?

I won't be showing the rest of the art here, but this is the only really plot-relevant piece. (Go buy it and support the developers! My avatar's based off of one of the cooler pieces of art in there. Note that it's meant for people who've finished the game, so there's spoilers here and there.)

Next time, the Seashore! Warning: it's going to be kind of dull.

Annihilation Record:

Annihilation count:29
No new entries.

Current winner: Cake Attack (26)
Next: Feldherren (35)

Battle Record:
2014/03/30/ 16:05:53
Demon King Chronicle

■Battle results
Playtime:09:30:49
Save count:113
Steps taken:48826
Battle count:449
Max damage:479
Max damage taken:53
Items:45 Types 106 Items

■Treasure Chests
The Nest: 5/8
Demon King's Castle: 21/26
The Hamlet: 29/31
The Snow Fields: 12/20
The Dragon Mountain: 6/6
Sands of Remembrance: 22/26
The Tower: 11/11
The Disease: 1/20
Unmapped area: 7/10

■Camil(20)
HP:85
SP:46
Attack:113
Defense:56
Range:20
Critical:52
Skill:15
Agility:45
・Kelde Laude(3)
・Ares's Clothes(1)
・Lucky Rabbit(3)
・Sagarmatha(3)
・Fiery Fang(2)

■Randolf(19)
HP:96
SP:36
Attack:103
Defense:79
Range:24
Critical:15
Skill:118
Agility:52
・Amaryllis(1)
・Zara Mantle (0)
・Samurai Wife Bento(2)
・Magnificent Zenith(3)
・Varnished Bird Wing(3)

■Top 10 defeats
Green Mud Man(178)
Rat(130)
Wake-Eater(89)
Monkey(57)
Scorpion(57)
Mutt(37)
Abominable Snow Monkey(30)
Scorpion(26)
Turtle(26)
Scorpion(24)

Glossary:

(Unlocked when Nana reaches level 20)
■Nana Eluonto
She came to this island to overcome
the curse of her grandfather.

She always cried after getting scolded by
her father, and Grandpa Zell comforted her.
After her father died of illness, she thought
of Grandpa Zell as her father. As long as
she holds these memories in her heart,
her trial will not come to an end.

She's using a fake name, as it would
cause problems if her lineage were revealed.

(Unlocked by defeating the Two-Headed Demon)
■Two-Headed Demon
The barrier in Nana's heart that she
wishes to overcome. It takes the image
of her grandfather, Zelphie Eluonto.

The left head is the strict but nice grandfather
she trusted and respected from her childhood,
while the right head is the grandfather that
descended into a demon-like madness as a
result of a strange sickness.
The left head is the one that still
holds power over Nana's heart.

Einander fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 5, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always tried to have Nana finish off the boss. Seeing her smile while saying goodbye to Camil made the pain worthwhile :3: You kick rear end, Nana.

I really like the music in this dungeon, but I had the hardest time with the monsters and puzzles for some reason. Those burning dragon heads kicked my party's rear end with their AoE. On the other hand, this boss was much easier than Randolph's.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Well that boss is totally the personification of her fear of her wrecked child friend and her granddad in The Tower, yes? Nightmare fuel for everyone!

Both The Tower music and the boss music are fantastic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Does everybody show up as a powerful guest character in their own dungeon? That's an interesting approach to it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Well that boss is totally the personification of her fear of her wrecked child friend and her granddad in The Tower, yes? Nightmare fuel for everyone!

Sort of. It's more like Nana's trying to break herself free from her grandfather's shadow. In her writing, she notes that she was afraid to go against him, which is why she ran away from the boy. So this is her facing her fears and insecurities while trying to make up for what she did in the past.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer
I had never heard of this game until I decided to check out this thread the other day, so thanks a ton for introducing me to this wonderful gem! I got so wrapped up in the story I had to go and play it for myself. So far I've played past the LP now, and running around with no guide whatsoever has been hectic but fun. I do regret rushing ahead a little though, since I'm sure I'm missing out on really good equipment items--such as those Demon Wings. Didn't see that enemy on my way up the tower. C'est la vie, I guess.

Also totally did not guess the possible relation, despite them having similar hair/eye colors. I kind of like that being kept as a hidden detail, rather than being part of the main story.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Bellmaker posted:

Both The Tower music and the boss music are fantastic.

The Tower music is indeed awesome-it reminds me a lot of Ys' area themes.

Also, if I may speculate, I'm beginning to get the feeling that the Island itself is an area that isn't exactly grounded in reality, and it's emphatic in some form. While there are consistent areas (the Nest, the Disease, and so on), it seems like there are parts of it that shape themselves to the desires of its inhabitants.

Randolph wanted to honor his father's dream by slaying a dragon, and the Island creates a place where he can fight one. Nana wants to overcome her fears of her grandfather, and the Island creates a place where she can defeat a physical incarnation of her fear of him.

That being said, there's aspects of the Island that still confuse me-His Memory and Her Memory seem anomalous in comparison to the rest of the Island's locations. And there's not enough information on the Demon King Chronicle itself that I've seen so far to figure out what's going on with it.

Also, is it just my imagination, or is Aaron Aaron's new character portrait a bit...worrying? I'm getting the feeling that his research into the Demon King Chronicle is starting to take a toll on his sanity.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Yeah Nana's name is a translation error. Her name in the Japanese version is Eluontonana(Very clever disguise) but she uses Nana as a nick name throughout the game still. It's really a bad gently caress up on their part. On the other side of things Eluontonana might sound very awkward to English speakers so I don't really know how to fix it.

Also this is definitely my favorite part of the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So... she just flipped her first and last name, is that right?

Not much of a disguise.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
This is one of the best parts of the game. Nana's just as legit badass as her grandpa, only held back because she won't strap rat innards to her arms or cosplay with goat horns or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is one of the best parts of the game. Nana's just as legit badass as her grandpa, only held back because she won't strap rat innards to her arms or cosplay with goat horns or whatever.

Lack of dignity: What separates the good from the great.

• Locked thread