Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
This Update was great. I love how much bonus content is in this game even if getting it all can be a pain and requires multiple playthroughs.(I think the idea behind it is to have multiple people play the game and share their different experiences with it)

The big question though is if you will get the secret dialogue for going through cave chronicle backwards before defeating Laylaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Should be able to just flick switch 250 before fighting her for that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Haha, i doubt you are really ever meant to see these, it's just put in there for these really fridge cases where someone goes "What if.... i completely sequence break and access this from the wrong direction in a totally unreasonable manner?"
Instead of locking you out of the possibility, it's acknowledged and accounted for to not break any other story lines.

Also, i don't know what took me so long, since i've been immensely enjoying the thread for a while now, but i just Rated it! I always forget about these things.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Valkama posted:

This Update was great. I love how much bonus content is in this game even if getting it all can be a pain and requires multiple playthroughs.(I think the idea behind it is to have multiple people play the game and share their different experiences with it)

The big question though is if you will get the secret dialogue for going through cave chronicle backwards before defeating Laylaria.

what

Like, I saw the flag for that while poking through the debug menus, but... :psyduck: That's an actual thing? Geez. After doing that bonus update, I'm exactly as surprised as I am unsurprised.

It'll require another full playthrough, but I'll make a genuine effort at that once the rest is done. If I can't do it legitimately, I'll at least debug mode it to show it off. Not having access to the final dungeon and its treasures will sting a bit, though...

HenryEx posted:

Haha, i doubt you are really ever meant to see these, it's just put in there for these really fridge cases where someone goes "What if.... i completely sequence break and access this from the wrong direction in a totally unreasonable manner?"
Instead of locking you out of the possibility, it's acknowledged and accounted for to not break any other story lines.

Yeah, I thought of mentioning that the little edit to reality that shortens the space between The Hamlet and The Snow Fields can only happen when no one's there to see, since Randolf's past that area and no one else joins up outside their areas, but then I realized that you could go through Death Rat House, come into The Tower, go through The Sands backwards, go through The Snow Fields backwards, do The Dragon Mountain, and then go through that passage for the first time, which probably does not keep her from writing it out of her reality.

If it did, though, I would not be terribly surprised.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Chapter 14: "There is no Healing Magic. No Star Fall Magic. No Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark."
(The Disease)

Welcome back. First, something from last update that I didn't include for the sake of dramatic flow:

The ending for this story is not terribly complicated. ...... Bring this story to its conclusion. You are the only person who can finish it.

Every time after the first, he'll only say the last two lines.

(Thanks to Warped Lichen for pointing out that I never talked to Aaron Aaron in-update and SSNeoman for pointing out that I wasn't showing the full dialogue here.)

It's been a while since we've been here. It's finally time to challenge The Disease... A location doubly interesting now that we know the epidemic all those years ago was also called "The Disease."

The exits from the save area are right and down, but they both meet up eventually.

Down first.

These are the two main types of enemy in the first half of The Disease. The bears are aggressive when you're close, the hydras are aggressive when you're in a fight.

These, meanwhile, are the true threat of The Disease. Every single enemy in The Disease is named "Deformity," so let's call these the Flies.

I said before that your policy should be to hunt down any fast, aggressive enemies on the screen first off. That goes double for Flies, which move incredibly fast when you attack something and home in incredibly well. By themselves, they're harmless. With other enemies, they're terrifying. And they tend to lurk in places that make them difficult to fight before engaging other enemies.

(Also, notice the differently-colored gravestone. It looks perfectly normal except before a fight; that means that starting a fight is the best way to find secrets here. There are quite a few hidden passages under gravestones.)

"Shout! Shout! Let it all out!" is a full-party buff. It gives Yell status.

You may remember the Yell status from Camil's Shout ability. It multiplies Attack by 1.6, Skill and Agility by 1.5, and adds +10 Critical.

I did mention that this is full-party, right?

They're fragile, but they're faster than Randolf--without Fast Attack, they might even be faster than Camil. If there's more than one, they'll probably manage to buff everything with Yell.

Furthermore, if they survive until turn 2, they'll start using "Shout! Shout! Let it all out!" again, except this version targets your characters and seals your magic. And since they're almost always faster than Randolf, and this status is pretty accurate, this effectively means you can't use magic on any turn but the first.

It is very possible to lose fights in the Disease before the first turn even starts. If you have Fast Attack on Randolf or Camil and they can use Fire Wave (or better, for Camil) at the start of battle, though, then it's possible to avert this--a Randolf who picked up Fire Wave is a very effective Fly countermeasure.

Their drop is the very good Stained Wing, which gives +8 Attack, +20 Skill, +8 HP, +10 Defense, +2 Critical, and +5 Agility. It drops fairly rarely, though, even with the sheer number of Flies you'll kill by the end.

That differently colored gravestone has a secret passage. Flies are underground as well, and the tighter spaces mean that fighting enemies at the same time as them--multiple of them--is basically unavoidable.

So I usually switch over to Mage Camil underground.

The Goat deformities aren't that scary. Nothing in The Disease is, really, so long as you don't let the Flies get a Shout off. (Which is why Camil is using the Zara Mantle in one of her All-Purpose slots.) Goats in particular go down to one Light Axe.

The Single Horn is notably good--+12 HP, +15 Skill, +5 Agility, and the Cutthroat skill. If you want to keep the Mantis Ax equipped as a weapon, it's probably the best Cutthroat option.

There's a Glass Fragment in a chest at the end. I could go back and make a new Bottle, but I don't bother.

These are the first half's other two types of enemy. The Hydra Deformities attack twice (they do about 20 damage per hit to my characters) and critical surprisingly often, while the Bear deformities hit once for about the same damage and also poison. The main threat both pose is that they take about three turns to kill, during which they can do a decent amount of damage. That durability lets them make very good use of Yell.

The Hydra drops a Fork, which is +25 Attack. The Bear drops Dirty Nails, which is +35 HP and poison immunity.

Exit's to the right.

That bridge is uncrossable. No jumping, I'm afraid.

The extremely obvious hidden passage under the gravestone leads here.

drat I'm good.

The chest has 1000 gold.

The extreme fragility of the Goat deformities makes this a very good area to grind... Or, well, that'd normally be true. But you really don't want to grind here, for reasons that'll become clear at the end of the update.

Going up the stairs puts you on the other side of the river.

Only the way you came up is a hidden staircase, as the prefight color filter confirms. The rest are just here to make you uncomfortable.

Exits lead right and up. I go up.

They don't even need to stress the death toll of The Disease epidemic, really. Counting the sheer number of graves you pass tells the whole story already.

Still no hidden passages. Exits are left and right. I go left.

Progressing onward means going right.

The purple stuff is basically just water or a wall--an impassable obstacle.

Getting into fights is so, so much easier than checking all of these graves individually.

I like the little areas like this, which feel more like normal burial sites than the giant grid mass graves. Before the water turned all purple and the wildlife became horrible mutated monstrosities, this place was probably pretty nice.

Midway save point.

Tip: enter and exit this room until the Fly to your right moves up instead of down. If you do, you can attract and kill the four Flies here before you get into any of the real fights.

These are the new enemies of the second half. The Flies stick around, and the Goats are still in the underground areas, but there won't be any more Hydras or Bears from here on.

Despite what you'd expect, the bipedal lizard type is the big dragon and the four-legged one is the weird crow thing. Let's call them Dragons and Crows. The Dragon hits about as hard as both hits of the Hydra, but unlike the Hydra, it doesn't really critical.

The Crows just seem to suck in general, being fragile and weak and inaccurate, but their criticals do about four times normal damage. If Yell is up, a critical will kill just about anyone it hits. Yell increases critical rate.

Neither type is aggressive, in or out of engagement mode, on this screen, which makes it much simpler to get through.

The Dragons drop Parts, which give +15 HP, +5 Critical and +20 Agility. Crows drop a Strange Scale, which gives +10 SP and +20 Defense.

There are a LOT of them.

The Slighty Dirty Clothes are an interesting item. As an armor, they have a poor Defense stat (+15) but are one of only two armors to have an Armor-slot Attack boost (+25). As an All-Purpose item, they give +52 Attack, +40 Skill, +10 Critical and Poison Immunity in exchange for taking double damage.

Needless to say, they're amazing on Mage Camil. I probably won't level them for that purpose, though; her Armor space is occupied for the forseeable future.

The way onward is to the right of the save point.

There's a bridge in the middle of the river.

Other chest is 1000 Gold.

The ways forward are right and up. I go right.

The hidden passage here is really obvious, which is the trick.

They want you to run down there and forget to check over here.

Other one is a Glass Fragment.

Backtrack to the last branch, go up this time.

Choices are up or cross the river and go right. I go up.

The weirdest Magic Bean planting spot in the game, right here. Camil just doesn't want to step on the rocks unless they're covered in ivy, it seems.

The chest has a Mango Skin, which gives +24 SP when equipped.

Going down at the right edge of the screen brings you to a short area with two treasure chests.

Other one has a Glass Fragment. It's very kind of them to provide a Magic Bean like this--the treasure you get from it is quite good.

Slightly more complicated than usual: I backtrack two screens, putting me at the "up or right across the river" branch. This time I go right there.

That puts me on the other side of the river with the Magic Bean chest. The chest here has 1000 gold.

I've used two Stamina Restores at this point. I'm not exactly burning through potions any more.

A screenshot of Skill Bind in action. I take the hidden passage here.

I suspect you're supposed to find this way through AFTER you've fought through the normal, aboveground path north.

Said path is narrow, filled with enemies, and has an abnormally high number of Flies--about five. There's no treasure, though, and it's not very visually interesting either.

This is the end of The Disease: a single deserted house and a passage past it.

Sadly, that isn't a conventional shortcut to Her Memory; it's one-way. So I walk past.

I examine the tree, and...

Huh. That's the color of the Star Fall Magic stone in Her Memory, isn't it?

Sadly, picking "Acquire Memory" here means you lose the White Will Stone permanently. I do so, if a little reluctantly.

Interesting...

Wait, what? Level 1? No name and portrait? Weird. You can't switch to him with the D button, either; it only lets you be Camil or Randolf on the map.

:swoon:

The Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark is transformational for a melee character. As a weapon, it gives +80 Attack and 24 Range; as an All-Purpose item, it gives +40 Attack. In both cases, it also gives Critical Damage x2.0. This makes criticals do 3.0x damage instead of 1.5x.

This massively increases physical damage output. If Shout is up, Camil is going to do the most damage now by far. And since it depends on your critical chance, it gives you a very good excuse to equip the Lucky Rabbit, giving you +16% evasion, -20 to incoming magic damage and doubled item drop rate.

You'll notice I'm not talking about the new character.

That's because he leaves the moment you leave the area. That's kind of an underwhelming join-up, really, considering the fanfare...

This ledge is one way only, connected to The Nest. Sucks to be you if you missed the White Will Stone or finished The Disease before The Depths!

I head back, make three Empty Bottles (up to 30 now) and head into Aaron Aaron's shop. I sell a lot of the items I've gained from The Disease (800 gold apiece!) and use my massive stock of cash to...

...buy a plant.

What? It's a nice plant.

Okay, more seriously: this is an opaque way of buying an armor.

Well, the Demon Flies seem to Laylaria's servants or something, judging by when they showed up, so I guess it's not surprising that even her plant has bugs... Or it's not an actual bug, but rather some sort of bug-themed armor. Maybe she was an insect superhero in her youth or something, I dunno.

The Black Ladybug gives +20 Attack, +20 Skill, +32 SP, +1 Critical, and +10 Agility as an Armor. (Note the lack of defense.) As an All-Purpose item, it gives +20 Skill, +32 SP, +3 Critical, +5 Agility, and immunity to Stagger.

The +SP alone makes it enormously useful. I stick it on Randolf and use a fully-leveled Daybreak Club (+32 Attack, +40 Defense, Sporadic Guard) to offset some of his resulting squishyness. Once it's mastered, he'll use the Black Ladybug as an All-Purpose instead--+50 SP is fantastic, and the rest is excellent gravy.

Also, look back at the shop; Aaron Aaron's managed to steal the Chimney from that ruined house while we were away at The Disease... Somehow. That seems like it would be very difficult to do. It costs 25000 gold, and it's the way to access that high bluff near the second Demon King's Castle entrance, the one with two chests and a recipe. The Expensive Stone, meanwhile, gets you an item in the same way the Plant did, except fetching it is considerably more likely to kill you. I'll wait on that a while.

Back to The Disease. I take the right exit from the starting save point this time.

Beautiful. One critical does almost as much as Light Axe with no SP cost and a larger range, and if you're particularly lucky you can get two criticals.

There's a path across the river and a not-entirely-obvious exit to the south.

Other chest is a Glass Fragment.

There's two treasures at the end of the Magic Bean path and I had 16/20 going in, so that should be everything in The Disease... Unless there's a recipe, anyway.

The Magic Bean hasn't grown in yet, so I leave.

I head to the Demon King's Castle and kill about ten Squid for a Squid Tentacle. I don't get any, despite having the Lucky Rabbit on, so I say "gently caress it" and debug mode two in--it takes about a minute each try, and that's just tedious.

I actually grind out six Crab Pastes properly, since that's much more reasonable. Getting there and back, plus the short trip into The Disease, gets the Holy Sword and Black Ladybug to level 2. Can't complain.

I brew up three Slimy Goop and head to The Imagination. When I do...

...our mysterious friend shows up again.

The Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark and the third party member for The Imagination are your real rewards for The Disease, and they're both very good. Blank Spaces here came from the White Will Stone, so let's call him Will.

Mind, the mysterious black void could be a girl. You never know... But let's go with "he" for now. "It" would be rude. If he's a she, I'm sure she'll forgive us.

His stats are pathetic, but he's level 1. He'll grow. Since he's so fragile anyway, why not give him the Slimy Goop? (+70 HP, +16 SP, +15 Skill, +2 Critical, Damage Received x2.0.) Someone needs to level it up for those holes. Once he's levelled the Zara Mantle, he'll replace the Nails with it, at which point he'll probably have enough speed to use Fast Attack to cancel out the Book of Manslaying's Slow Attack and still get turns decently often.

I'm building him as a mage, similar to Mage Camil.

Will starts with Healing Magic, while Star Fall Magic is acquired through His Memory.

Healing Magic is decently useful; it heals about 60, and the numbers scale very slowly. (In part because Will has 5 base Skill and it never, ever increases when he levels.) Star Fall Magic, however, is genuinely impressive--as much base power and range as Inferno, 100% bonuses from both Attack and Skill, and 50% defense ignoring, all for 10 SP. Its only problems are Will's stats and its HP threshold.

(This is the second use for Fire Wave on Randolf: if you're already flinging a giant AOE spell every round, then having Randolf doing the same when he can is much more useful.)

That's from six levels. Those aren't very good growths at all...

Stat-wise, Will will always be lower-level and weaker than Camil and Randolf; he's inferior in just about every stat to either of them. (He's faster and has a higher critical rate than Randolf, and his base SP gets a little higher than Camil. That's pretty much it.) Even if his stats stayed trash, though, having an extra character to fling potions is great... And All-Purpose items make the base stats difference irrelevant with time.

I'll be keeping him with the two Slimy Goops and using them to push him below that 40% HP threshold after each battle. (The third is for if I want to use Mage Camil in a fight.) Without Star Fall Magic, Will can't really contribute right now, but once he's levelled up some it should make him enormously useful.

(By the way, no, recruiting Will before fighting Aaron Aaron does not change his "all three haven't gathered yet" speech. Nor does buying The Final Battle As Planned before talking to him. I checked during the bonus update stuff.)

Next time, we start The Imagination.

Annihilation Record:

Annihilation count:29

No new entries.

Current winner: Cake Attack (26)
Next: Feldherren (35)

Battle Record:

2014/04/08/ 22:37:09
Demon King Chronicle

■Battle results
Playtime:15:21:53
Save count:166
Steps taken:78906
Battle count:925
Max damage:479
Max damage taken:134
Items:74 Types 171 Items

■Treasure Chests
The Nest: 8/8
Demon King's Castle: 26/26
The Hamlet: 31/31
The Snow Fields: 20/20
The Dragon Mountain: 6/6
Sands of Remembrance: 26/26
The Tower: 11/11
The Seashore: 12/12
The Mirage: 9/10
Leviathan Depths: 5/5
The Disease: 18/20
Unmapped area: 7/10

■Camil(31)
HP:149
SP:63
Attack:256
Defense:44
Range:24
Critical:53
Skill:55
Agility:73
・Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark(2)
・Mask of Determination(3)
・Praying Mantis Axe(3)
・Lucky Rabbit(3)
・Zara Sword(3)

■Randolf(31)
HP:106
SP:89
Attack:255
Defense:48
Range:64
Critical:11
Skill:168
Agility:59
・Speckcinder(2)
・Black Ladybug(2)
・Daybreak Club(3)
・Varnished Bird Wing(3)
・Bookworm Girl(3)

■(7)
HP:168
SP:56
Attack:54
Defense:24
Range:24
Critical:5
Skill:35
Agility:34
・Amaryllis(0)
・Zara Mantle (0)
・Slimy Goop(0)
・Slimy Goop(0)
・Nails(0)

■Top 10 defeats
Green Mud Man(178)
Rat(159)
Toothy Piranha(157)
Mermaid(143)
Abominable Snow Monkey(97)
Wake-Eater(89)
Merman(84)
Monkey(83)
Deformity(82)
Mutt(80)

Glossary:

(Unlocked by using the White Will Stone)
■Aeritz
Aeritz was a thief who specialized in
robbing from the rich. He spent his days
filling the pocks of the less fortunate and
of course his own as well. He wasn't really
a hero or a villain.
He walked a very fine line in that respect.

----

While in port, he heard rumors
regarding a certain book.

The rumored book floated here from
the southern part of the continent, and was
written by an unknown writer named
Harold Diester. However he only completed
three chapters so the book is still incomplete.

Even still, this mysterious book called the
"Demon King Chronicles" was published
in small numbers. There were many people
who enjoyed theorizing about the work over
various questions such as
"Who wrote this story and for what purpose?"
"What kind of ending was planned?"

Aeritz was very curious about the book,
however it carried a high price tag so
getting his hands on it was not easy.

So he reached the only possible conclusion.
"Well that's it. I might as well try to get my
hands on the original that swept in with the tide."
He found out that a particular old man, one of
the most famous people on the continent
was the current owner.

You know how Kumo found the copy of Demon King Chronicle's Chapter Two in Aeritz's things? This entry seems to imply that Aeritz accepted the job on Zelphie Eluonto so he could steal one of his books. A book he probably didn't even have somewhere Aeritz would find, because it's probably the copy that Nana has.

Or that's the reason why Nana only has Chapter One.

Oh, Aeritz. :doh:

Einander fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 15, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm impressed how much character Camil gets despite being a silent protagonist. The first of which is her skills, like "slap on the back", which makes me imagine a gutsy, cheerful woman. That is probably why people tell her their stories and ask her for help when facing their personal demons.

I think acquiring Will is the same thing. Kumo told her that this world sucks because there's no "healing magic, starfall magic, etc..."
So what does she do? Fix the world so it has those things :getin:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Will (I called him Black when I played) is basically the best character in the game. No ifs or buts; he's the best.

Valkama posted:

Oh are you loving kidding me

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 14, 2014

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
You know, I'm starting to think that calling the Disease eradicated was incredibly optimistic at best.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Game complete, final update is written; just need to do a few miscellaneous things. The final battle and ending has more screenshots than any other update in the entire game.

I may or may not take an intermission between the final main story update and the start of the post-game, but that's at least a week away. I'll make up my mind by the time said final update goes up.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So who operates the shop now that Aaron is gone?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

From what I understand, Camil is simply too nice to outright steal anything from the shop even though it's empty.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

WarpedLichen posted:

So who operates the shop now that Aaron is gone?

Dr. Snark posted:

From what I understand, Camil is simply too nice to outright steal anything from the shop even though it's empty.

Isn't that Aaron in the shop?

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
You don't actually kill Aaron, just rough him up and steal his lunch money story. Once the story leaves, he goes back to normal and returns to the shop.

Though the comment re: Camil being too nice to steal anything, even if the store's empty, is true - there's a few cases where there's no one in there, but she won't just take the dresses and run.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I find it both troubling and suspicious that we received a mysterious figure who only exists in The Imagination after reaching the end of a place called "The Disease". Which shares a name with something absolutely horrible that everyone runs like hell away from it at the slightest hint that it could possibly be present there.

I suspect Will is Not Our Friend :ohdear:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Yeah, Aaron Aaron's back in the store by the time you finish chasing the Chronicle to The Imagination. I meant to comment on that and put his dialogue at the start of The Disease's update, but I seem to have forgotten. Hmm.

I'll add it this afternoon.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The Aaron Aaron dialogue that I forgot to include in the last update! After being defeated (or, more accurately, after defeating Harold while his ghooooost~ wears Aaron like a cheap suit), he says this up to and through the final dungeon. I'll edit it into the start of the The Disease update.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think if you talk to Aaron immediately after opening The Imagination, he mentions that it was Harold Diester's Will Stone that possessed him.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

I think if you talk to Aaron immediately after opening The Imagination, he mentions that it was Harold Diester's Will Stone that possessed him.

Ah, you're right... It's been a while, so I went back and checked. As it happens, the last two lines are an abbreviated version of the full dialogue; he only says the last two parts if you've talked to him once already.

The real thing, in full this time:

The ending for this story is not terribly complicated. ...... Bring this story to its conclusion. You are the only person who can finish it.

Editing that post again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I did it. I finally got all the loving chests in the cave chronicle hahahahaha :shepface:

I wish bad things upon the person who decided to give those enemies the Call Friends ability. One battle had me go through two music loops before it finished. The funny part is that I took down Shelob and Sharkey with no effort whatsoever. It's just the trash mobs are the biggest loving slog.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
You beat Sharky with no problem? Very well done :golfclap:. Honestly though the best way I found to deal with monsters with Call Friends is the Trip skill.

Also the entire Imagination for one update seems a little long to me. I'm interested to see how you cut it down.

Valkama fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 16, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Valkama posted:

You beat Sharky with no problem? Very well done :golfclap:.

Yeah.
I pulled his buddies away from him (was in for a rude shock when more suddenly appeared) and killed them seperately. Afterwards I just fought Sharkey solo. He just Call Friends once and then did a wimpy attack. Does he do anything other than that?

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah.
I pulled his buddies away from him (was in for a rude shock when more suddenly appeared) and killed them seperately. Afterwards I just fought Sharkey solo. He just Call Friends once and then did a wimpy attack. Does he do anything other than that?

Nope! If you take too long he just keeps summoning more and more!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chapter 15: "Will you just get out? Please?"
(The Imagination Part 1, Yellow and Blue 1&2&3)

Welcome back!

This is the first part of The Imagination. Compared to previous dungeons, The Imagination is a lot more varied and a lot longer. I'll present it in three parts: the first half, the second half, and the final boss. All parts up until the final boss share the same music.

These flames are one of the defining features of the first part.

If you walk into one, it'll explode and you'll take quite a bit of damage. I've seen anywhere from 50 to 90.

I run back and heal. I don't need two Slimy Goops on Will for him to use Star Fall Magic yet, so I trade one for the Placebo. Additional Skill and Speed will help.

In this first area, you can seek out and hit multiple switches to remove some of the fireballs from the area just before the exit. Strictly speaking, though, you don't have to.

The goblin-like enemies are named Denial. Every enemy here drops an item with the same name as the enemy itself, so the Denial gives me a Denial item. In this case, that item gives +30 Defense.

They're fairly easy to wipe out in one turn, thankfully. Movement-wise, they work like the lizards in The Sands--short bursts of movement, but they spend most time standing idly. Like the lizards, they move normally when you fight something else; unlike the lizards, they become aggressive.

The big guy here, the Echoic Memory, is aggressive but slow. His item gives +38 HP.

Despite what you'd expect, he's not very tough; one triple-damage critical and one Light Axe downs him. But all of those fireballs in the way of the exit will be a problem, so I backtrack for the other switches; there's a bridge to the bottom-right of the chest.

Unfortunately, narrow bridges+aggressive enemies = way too many fights. I end up killing basically everything on the way to the switch.

A picture of the ridiculous damage Will takes when something hits him. (Camil takes about 70 from the same enemy.)

Hitting the second switch clears the way onward.

You could just gun it for this one, but that's boring. Bridges lead right again.

It's a bit more varied this time: there's two areas filled with fire orbs with switches behind them, and the rear-most switch clears the next-closest area, which then clears the closest, which clears the way to the exit. It's a neat idea.

Same deal with the forced fights due to the narrow bridges, though.

You still level up items even if a character is dead at the end, by the way, though the experience is lost. Dead characters also don't regenerate HP after they're revived if they were still dead at the end. Reviving just before the end works just fine, though.

Sadly, the last switch does nothing to thin out the herd around this treasure chest. Ow.

New area. That gate leads to the variation for the second half:

Instead of filling the area with fireballs, they added an underground area filled with poison, which gets turned off when you press a switch. You only take 1 damage each time, but it activates multiple times a second. Trying to just run through is possible, but there's no real reason to bother.

It's highly satisfying to be able to use both Inferno and Star Fall Magic at the same time. The enemies blow up very nicely.

The chest had 1000 gold.

This is pretty much the underground. There's Denials, there's rocks, the chest is really the only place where you have to fight. Their movement pattern deprives the area of any possibility of being interesting. The chest has a Glass Fragment.

Apparently the developers thought the same, because the Denials are completely different in the next area:

None of that "slow, random movement" crap, they move at normal speed and they're incredibly aggressive.

So basically everything needs to be fought. Again.

This time, though, there's one additional twist: no switch. This is because the poison underground has four treasures. The actual way onward is this white portal here.

The new area. That black portal takes you back to the hub...

...where a new flower has bloomed. That's the shortcut to the new area.

But I've got some money to spend, so why not head back to The Nest?

This is new!

You didn't think the game would let you go through a long multi-part final dungeon without storytime, did you? These stories are tied to dungeon progress, and there's seven in total.

The black specks are unread stories, and the oldest ones are at the bottom. To view one, talk to it. They'll turn white afterwards.

There are two people talking, and they're originally differentiated only by text color and the light effect on screen. I'll call them "Yellow" and "Blue" until they give their names.

I'm really going to take it, okay?

There's a neat effect where the Yellow changes over to Blue (or vice versa) when the speakers change.

Hurry up and take it.

Weren't you drawing a picture of a flower?

Yeah, I changed my mind.

I see. Alright, then I'll take it off your hands. I'll take good care of it.

Ok.

Well, I'll be back again later.

You don't have to come back.

Remember the lighting effects at the start, during the "carry on my will to the end" talk? They were represented by a Yellow light effect, just like this one. So if it was Harold charging us to complete his story, then he's probably Yellow up above... And if Yellow isn't Harold, then that implies that someone else asked us to complete the story for him, despite calling its completion "My Will."

The stories are raising interesting points already, aren't they?

Are you writing something?

Show it to me.

Do whatever you want.

Well then, I guess I will. I'll just flip through it.

What do you think? Pretty interesting right?

...... Yup. Pretty interesting. Especially this huge white space.

I'm still writing that part... If you are finished, then just get the hell out.

Fine, I get it.

So, why are you living in this hole anyway?

I said get out!

Oh, probably-Harold, you are so awful with people.

The completed stories are pretty hard to see.

Will has the dubious honor of having earned two more achievements for the team: "take 200 damage with one attack" and "take 300 damage with one attack." That's what happens when you run a "Take 4x damage" set-up.

Randolf also gets a +10 Skill crystal that I missed before, while Camil gets one for +4 Agility.

Will switches his set-up. He's faster than Randolf, who always goes before the current crop of enemies anyway, so he doesn't need Fast Attack yet.

I already described the effects of Hero Supplement--gives you Hero status, which nearly triples attack while adding +10 Critical and multiplying Skill and Speed by 150% and HP by 130%. It's not the easiest spell to use, though, what with that absurdly low threshold, and unlike Nana's Happy Ending Supremacy, it gives him no Evasion to survive that turn with.

I spent about a full minute just waiting for this rear end in a top hat flame enemy to get out of the way. For some reason, they can't float off of land.

1000 gold for the chest in the poison underground, Rice, Wheat, 1000 gold, and a Glass Fragment in the cache through the portal. Worth it.

The poison effect can kill, by the way. I was inattentive and Camil died on the way out. (This has no effect on who walks on-map.)

Back in the new area. The obelisks are named Isolation, and they'll randomly defend or use a hit-all attack. It does fairly decent damage.

(Will is back to double Slimy Goops and the Nails; too much max HP for Parts to work and too slow without Fast Attack.)

The birds are Imprinting. An Imprinting will use Flame Fang every turn, hitting all characters for decent damage. Camil's high magic resistance from the Mask of Determination means they're basically a complete non-issue for her, but the others have problems. They're aggressive.

The demons are Resistance. They attack single targets and they're fragile.

They hit pretty drat hard in that single attack, though.

They move just like the lizards in The Sands did--erratically, in larger single movements. They become aggressive when you fight something else. Their item gives +35 HP, +5 SP, and +4 Agility.

I fight basically everything on the screen in two engagements. This was not the best idea.

The fact Camil survives most frequently is definitely showing.

By the way. You know the clouds?

The game is tricking you. You can walk wherever the hell you want.

This chest, down and to the right of the start, is here to embarrass you.

...because if you don't realize you can go off the clouds, you have to fight a LOT of enemies. The resulting moment of realization is definitely something.

Not that I'd know from a previous playthrough or anything.

:3: That is the cutest goddamn mimic in the world.

I mow down the Compensation in one turn, though. No mercy for the adorable. It has a chance of dropping its item, but it's not guaranteed, and there's no other reward. Said item is +15 HP and +28 Attack, though, so it's not really worth it. Just use a Chatty Barber instead.

The other chest is a Magic Bean. I have two of them and haven't been able to use either; no more available planting spots.

...oh, wait. I never did get the rewards for the one I planted in The Disease. I should do that.

Next area.

Going south leads to a whole lot of nothing.

Glass Fragment in the lower-right, though.

If you're just after the exit, you can get there in about ten seconds. Ah, the hazards of nonlinear design.

New area.

As I move through these, I'm basically engaging a Resistance and forcing them to group together, preferably close enough that even Lightning or Light Axe can hit multiple Resistances. You have incredible mobility here, and that means you can minimize the effect of Randolf's tiny spell attack area better than just about anywhere.

1000 gold.

This in the upper-right; it's a Glass Fragment. Interestingly enough, opening the chest just as an engagement starts appears to make the encounter period last about a full second longer. This doesn't strike me as very useful, but hey, you never know.

Exit's in the upper-left.

The Chronicle is an obvious lure.

The enemies here are Conflicts, and they are incredibly easy to stack on top of each other. That's three of them right there.

That, meanwhile, is about 4 right on top of each other, plus one on the side.

It's basically THE grinding area. Look at that.

:swoon:

The Aegis is drat good. Sadly, it has one limitation: you can only make one. The recipe vanishes afterward.

If I could make four of the Aegis--two Armors, two All-Purpose--then I would, no question. It's that good.

I think I figured it out. You're a writer, right? And now you're worried because you're in a slump. That's why you look so unhappy. So you're thinking, if circumstances were different, things might work out,

So then why are you here?

Hmm... I wonder why. Probably because I'm bored.

I see... Well, get the hell out.

Also, I still owe you for the flower.

Just get out right now. That is the best way to pay me back. Oh, and about your theory... First off, I'm not in a slump. I'm the same as ever.

Aww, I was close.

Actually, you didn't even get one right. Will you just get out? Please?

The most touching tale of friendship. :allears:

I'm up to 35 bottles now, by the way.

(I make another No Name wine while I'm here.)

The Aegis requires Goat Fur. Where do you get Goat Fur, you may ask?

If you said "Asper Bison," then you've either played the game or you have a very confused understanding of goats.

During the grinding, Camil masters the Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark and Randolf masters the Black Ladybug.

As you'll note, Camil is slightly better-off wearing the Ax as a weapon and the Sword as an All-Purpose. Weapon bonuses are weird.

I head back and make the Aegis.

It's an incredible armor. +30 Skill, +4 SP, +75 Defense, +5 Agility.

It's even better as an All-Purpose: +40 Skill, +4 SP, +30 Defense, +4 Critical, +10 Agility, -5 to incoming magic damage, +4% flat evasion chance, and Sporadic Guard. That is absurd levels of good.

It has one slight downside: it doesn't grow as much as normal items each level. This means you lose out on a few points of Skill, Defense and Agility, but... When presented with those stats I think of it more as the game frontloading its gains, because those would be drat good benefits even as a final-level item.

Camil gets the Aegis, and once it's mastered it won't ever leave her All-Purpose slots. The Skill bonus is great, yes, but Randolf gets access to an item for Sporadic Guard that better suits his needs, and the Aegis has +Critical and +Agility. It also means that when Camil uses Inferno, it'll be stronger, and situations where a strong Inferno matters are very definitely "oh poo poo" situations.

Plus, with Mantis Ax + Mask of Determination + Zara Sword + Aegis + Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark, she has over 90 Agility, Critical Damage x2.0, Extra Attack +1, Sporadic Guard, -52 to all incoming magical damage, and 15% flat chance of evading any incoming attack. She may only have 40% critical chance with that set-up, but Camil has still officially reached "scary."

Randolf gets the Mask of Determination while she's leveling the Aegis. Camil will miss that +12 Critical for a while, but at least Randolf can make good use of the +10(x+1) Skill on it. Randolf also switches the Daybreak Club All-Purpose for the Sagarmatha; Will will be using the Daybreak Club as his source of Sporadic Guard against the final boss, so I'd like him to get a level or two for it.

Interestingly enough, while Will doesn't show up in the pre-.txt Battle Records screen, he's added just fine to the .txt version.

Three flowers marks the halfway point of the dungeon; the fifth is just before the Final Boss. Join me again next time for the second (and more difficult) half of The Imagination.

Annihilation Record:

Annihilation count:29

No new entries.

Battle Record:

2014/04/11/ 23:54:04
Demon King Chronicle

■Battle results
Playtime:16:31:02
Save count:175
Steps taken:83682
Battle count:976
Max damage:479
Max damage taken:605
Items:73 Types 156 Items

■Treasure Chests
The Imagination: 14/32

■Camil(33)
HP:137
SP:69
Attack:281
Defense:75
Range:32
Critical:41
Skill:45
Agility:82
・Praying Mantis Axe(3)
・Aegis(0)
・Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark(3)
・Lucky Rabbit(3)
・Zara Sword(3)

■Randolf(33)
HP:117
SP:81
Attack:225
Defense:29
Critical:17
Skill:145
Agility:69
・Speckcinder(3)
・Mask of Determination(0)
・Sagarmatha(0)
・Varnished Bird Wing(3)
・Black Ladybug(3)

■(23)
HP:255
SP:76
Attack:127
Defense:28
Critical:11
Skill:41
Agility:39
・Daybreak Club(0)
・Zara Mantle (1)
・Slimy Goop(1)
・Slimy Goop(1)
・Nails(1)

■Top 10 defeats
Green Mud Man(178)
Rat(160)
Toothy Piranha(157)
Mermaid(143)
Wake-Eater(89)
Merman(84)
Monkey(83)
Deformity(82)
Mutt(80)

Glossary:
No new entries.

Einander fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 17, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I gave Will the best armor ASAP and even then he's pretty fragile. And yeah, Aegis is super good :allears:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I remember using the Parts on Camil for the longest time since it has such great bonuses for a physical fighter. I didn't have her completely optimized since I had Will as a sort of middle of the road physical damage/skill character using the item you've been procrastinating on acquiring from the Expensive Stone.

Also, something I think you forgot to mention but was shown in the last update -- Will sporadically gains crit rate when levelling up. Normally it's bugged and you see it as gaining skill, but I'm guessing HenryEx's patch fixes that?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's right. Will is the only character that can gain Crit on level up, and without the fix, it displays as Skill instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Will is a pretty intriguing character. An imaginary friend with imaginary powers that became real. That's quality.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm confused. Is there no picture for Will? I thought you were hiding his appearance from us because spoilers or something.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm confused. Is there no picture for Will? I thought you were hiding his appearance from us because spoilers or something.

Nope! He does not even have an in-game name and his portrait is a black square.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I remember using the Parts on Camil for the longest time since it has such great bonuses for a physical fighter. I didn't have her completely optimized since I had Will as a sort of middle of the road physical damage/skill character using the item you've been procrastinating on acquiring from the Expensive Stone.

Also, something I think you forgot to mention but was shown in the last update -- Will sporadically gains crit rate when levelling up. Normally it's bugged and you see it as gaining skill, but I'm guessing HenryEx's patch fixes that?

Yeah, the Parts is great--probably the best pure +Speed item. The Expensive Stone, meanwhile, is something for next time. Myself, I usually just build Will as pure Skill and use Healing Magic whenever it's a serious fight; the lack of a second Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark really hurts any second physical fighter.

And yeah, I figured that showing that level would do. Gaining Critical isn't really that useful, not when Camil's crystals ensure her crit rate is higher anyway. I guess +1 Critical matters more than +1 Skill, but I'd probably prefer the Skill.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Nope, no portrait for Will and no character sprite.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chapter 16: "You can use me as a model if you like."
(The Imagination Part 2, Ares and Harold 4&5&6&7)

Welcome back! Into the third part of The Imagination this time.

It's essentially one of those "navigate all areas without crossing any intersection twice" puzzles.

So naturally I go after this treasure chest and blow the puzzle off.

The Unconscious is big and tough; I can't kill one of them in one turn without two criticals and Camil's missing 12% of her critical rate. Its attacks aren't that impressive, though.

The chest had a Glass Fragment.

Stepping on a darkened light at an intersection gets you whisked away to this punishment area. It's patrolled by Trauma enemies, and each of them has two chests.

There are two punishment areas. Punishment areas become inaccessable once you finish their puzzles. Missing both punishment areas is enough to disqualify you from opening the 260 chests door in His Memory.

It's kind of a dick move all around, really. Make sure you fail both at least once.

Oh yeah, screenshot multitasking. I am the best LPer.

Anyway, Traumas are aggressive but not very tough. They do a little less damage than the enemies of the last area.

They also give deliberately pathetic rewards. Their item is pretty decent, though (+18 SP, +1 Critical, Sporadic Guard) and they give the same progress-towards-item-levels experience as anyone else. This is a pretty good place to level up Will's items, so it's a shame it doesn't stay accessable.

The other treasure chest has a Glass Fragment.

Another light dot whisks you back up to the starting room.

Okay, so the real solution here is hit the first one, go left, up, right, up, right, leave. You can't see the whole room layout, though, so I end up fighting a The Unconscious (wow is that awkward) on the way.

Two annoying things about them:

One, they can heal themselves. A lot--that's more than Camil's double-critical attack damage. They only seem to be able to do it once, though, and will spend a lot of wasted turns trying after the first time.

Two,

Their drop does nothing. At all. I've tried levelling it up to 3 to see if it's some sort of Paladin Shield, and the answer is no. It always does nothing. At least it sells for 1200.

Through another empty hub, and...

Room number two. You can see a bit more of this one before you start walking on lights, at least.

I deliberately fail and drop down to the punishment area.

The chest by the exit here is 1000 gold.

Back up top.

The correct answer is to:

Use that path circling around to the left to hit the one shown in the upper-right here, then go left, down, right, and follow the path. You don't need to fight any The Unconscious this way.

The next room has one of the most ridiculous puzzles in the game. It's optional, thankfully, but you don't want to ignore it.

When it says "window," it means "game window." To open the room, open a second instance of the game.

No, I don't get it either. It's very Psycho Mantis in a game that hasn't exactly done Psycho Mantis stuff previously.

The Delusion Cocoon is amazing mage gear. It's not the armor stats; +6 SP and +80 Defense is good, but it's just an inferior Three-Legged Frog.

Like the Aegis, though, it really shines as an All-Purpose. +35 Skill, +6 SP, +35 Defense, Sporadic Guard, and Recover SP While Defending. It's amazing. And also like the Aegis, it's going on Randolf, and the moment he masters it it's never leaving his All-Purpose slots.

Will gets the Mask of Determination for a little bit. Then I run all the way back to the hub area, because I am not redoing all of this when I die in the next area. I also have 3 Glass Shards, so, hey, another Empty Bottle can't hurt.

That also means it's story time!

I was interested in the rest of that story.

Even though it's still all blank white pages?

Well, listen for a second. I thought of something good.

Well that's fine and all. However, I already have a story inside my head. Putting it down on paper (beat) is as easy to do as breathing. So no reason to ask others for help.

Well for Chapter 1, why don't you... write a story about trying to reach a high place?

Listen when people are talking, please.

Hmm, what should we do for the characters.

Just how thick are you?

Ok, then I'll tell you about my experiences. It might help you beat that writer's block.

I'm going to start, ok?

Just do whatever you want. I won't be listening.

Where was that place again? In the middle of the continent, I forget the name of it but,

Oh, Ares. :allears: She only has eight story segments to establish herself as a character, and yet she is so vividly a person.

(And if you've been paying attention to the music titles, then you could've guessed it earlier--all of the story songs are called "reiy_(name)", for "Reminiscence, (name)"; for instance, Nana's is "reiy_nana". The one for these segments is "reiy_ar"--"Reminiscence, Ares.")

So much for the grand Camil theory, though; Ares wouldn't refer to her own daughter as "young girl" back in the intro, would she?

Another good reason to grind the Traumas: they're easily to kill and their rewards are lucrative. They're also gone once you clear the puzzles, though, so I leave myself one for later. You never know.

I pick up the Expensive Stone while I'm there. Before I do that, though...

...Randolf gets the Twin Tail, which gives Escape Dash. As you'll recall, that's the item that lets you move at lightspeed once you encounter an enemy.

This is because it's a loving underwater section with tough statwall enemies who never attack.

I get screwed by bad luck and the final enemy's random movement pattern carries it JUST outside of engagement range, even with the Twin Tail. This dooms me to failure, because it's pretty much impossible if you get unlucky that way.

Whatever. I'll leave it for later.

Back to The Imagination. And this loving area. Oh god. Trauma flashbacks.

Will takes off the pieces of the Star Fall Magic set-up. I don't need him dying that easily.

Okay. Here's the thing about this area. See those angel-like enemies? They're all aggressive and they're tank-like offensively and defensively. I will be going nuclear on them from the get-go.

This area, more than any other part of the endgame, whisks you right back to The Snow Fields.

I do find it funny that the angel-like enemies are named "Repression," though. Clearly a moment of deeply-cutting religious commentary there. Or a Monty Python joke.

Look at that health bar. Look at it. That's after two normal Camil hits and a Light Axe. I'll need three turns of that to kill ONE Repression. ONE. And it did half of Camil's health right back, and she's wearing the Aegis, which is amazing defensive armor.

And that isn't what makes them scary.

THIS is what makes them scary. The attack has no name, it seems--it just shows up as blank spaces--but it will ruin you. If you have less defense, then this can kill you from full health, as Will shows here.

Do not ever fight more than one Repression at a time. Ever. Barring extraordinary luck, you WILL die--even one Repression can keep you locked down and forced to repeatedly heal yourself, and a second one can kill anyone weakened by the attack-all. Two attack-alls will kill you outright.

If you're lucky, though, they'll stick to the single-target attack. They still take three turns to kill that way, but it's better than the alternative.

Some of the angels are Projections instead, thankfully. You can identify them by their wings. Projections are the ones with big wings. Both types move when you've moved two squares, preferring to move two squares closer to you. This means that so long as you don't freak out, you have all the time you need to heal after a fight.

I'm not sure why wings and murder coefficient are inversely proportional, but I'll take what I can get. Projections trade the Blank hit-all for Sting, which is a single-target draining attack. It does as much as a normal attack and therefore sucks. They're only really dangerous when there's a Repression on the field with them, because Repressions are scary.

I don't even remember what was in this chest, I was too busy freaking the hell out about almost fighting two of them. Should've been more careful.

Apparently it was a Glass Fragment.

Will's job here is to defend any turn that everyone's at full health and to use Healing Magic when they're not. Depending on random variance, Sporadic Guard MAY allow him to survive a Repression's Blank. If he doesn't, oh well, Camil and Randolf are the important ones here, and his items will still level up even if he dies.

Seriously, I cannot express how tense this is in words. There are only two screens with Repressions, and they're incredibly nerve-wracking. There is a very real sense there that if you screw up, you may just die. It means you sometimes make bad decisions.

Like here. The exit is just above the divider between me and the two Repressions. WHY DID I RUN FOR THE DOOR?

I mean, I survived it, but it was a stupid decision and it would've Game Overed me nearly every time.

Both are Repressions, naturally.

Just a little up from the last chest. The lower one had Glass Fragments, this one had 1000 gold.

:froggonk:

The potion situation is not looking so hot. If a Repression ever uses Blank on a first turn, everyone needs to heal. Everyone. That's at least two potions, three if one of the injuries is outside of Healing Magic's 60 or so HP range.

My Trauma certainly has levelled up.

Thankfully, the Repressions have a strange tendency to target Will; if they hit any single person, it's him about six times out of ten.

Whew.

And I get through without dying. That's a relief.

(I imagine poor Feldherren feels differently, though.)

Out to heal, back in.

The final area is weirdly blank. I guess we're into the empty white pages now.

Catharthis are basically Repressions or Projections without Blank or Sting. They critical very often, but that's about it... Also, if you kill them they need to wait to respawn, just like red enemies elsewhere. Their drop gives you +40 HP.

If the last area used the design philosophy of The Snow Fields, this area uses the layout philosophy. It's pretty similar visually and has the same features, and the enemies are similar too, sans the monkeys. (Thankfully.)

The Ambivalent enemy, which are the lizardmen on the field, are Repression+1, only the can move normally. They do so pretty quickly, if not with dedicated aggression. Also unlike Repressions, there's four screens that have them on it. :smith: Same durability, they hit a little harder, they also have Blank. Thankfully, they're much less common.

They're also red, so you can kill them and then run back to heal. I don't, but it's a valid strategy.

DIDN'T QUITE THINK THIS THROUGH

With Hero Supplement up, Randolf does about 380 damage with Light Axe. It's a good tool to have, even if the 40% HP requirement means it's risky. The agility bonus helps, since it ensures he always activates Sporadic Guard.

...drat, forgot about this. Yeah, I'm probably only gonna get that after the final boss. I still need to buy The Final Battle As Planned, I think.

I end up running back. I fought a lot more enemies than planned, and I have Glass Fragments to use.

Also lets me grab this 1000 gold.

Going back to the Nest means story time!

How's it going?

Show it to me.

...Fine.

Oooh! Great! It's not all blank anymore. ......

I don't need your feedback. I didn't write it for that reason. It's not something to show other people.

Oh yeah? Well then, tell me, why do you write stories?

I guess...

So I'm the only reader, huh? That makes me pretty happy, I guess. So, how about it? Can I ramble on a bit again?

Yeah, go ahead, say whatever you want. I won't be listening, though.

Well then, let me get started. I had a friend.

I'm not really sure whether he was a good or bad guy, but he was into a lot of shady things. Oh yeah, Not that long ago...

I head left. Then there are two Ambivalences, so I head right. Except the treasure chest is left!

You need to be decisive about where you're heading. I ended up fighting a pretty pointless and avoidable three-Catharthis battle.

Eh, 10/11 Stamina/Energy, I can get through one screen. ...probably.

Only natural that we'd get a flower field near the end, really.

Do you see that fairy? It's a special enemy. Not loving with it. Maybe after the final boss.

The chest has a Glass Fragment.

The fifth and final flower. Past that is the final area of The Imagination, where the final boss lurks. We've got two more things to do before that.

Did you lose some weight?

Not really.

Ooh, Chapter 2 is about the ocean.

Is the main character of this chapter a bad guy? Wait a second, this is Aeritz isn't it?

Oh, that's just messed up. ...... Hmmm, so the enemy is a white whale. Is the whiteness of this whale supposed to represent good? Is that the theme? Then the darker hero beats him up, symbolizing human nature at its worst. That's deep stuff.

I haven't put that much thought into it. The main character defeats a strong-looking enemy. That is all it's supposed to be.

Oh yeah?

If you like your own interpretation, (beat) then you can read it like that.

That's kind of irresponsible isn't it? Oh by the way... It was born.

What was?

A baby.

Congratulations... I guess? Whose is it?

The flower I got from you before. I gave it to a pregnant lady in the village. I told her it was a charm for safe delivery (beat) It ended up being pretty tough, though. But she gave birth safely.

I see. I didn't know that flower was a charm for safe deliveries.

I didn't either.

Hey...

I guess that's how it is.

Well then, I'll ramble to myself again. I've got a lot of stuff to talk about.

Said his hometown was some high up mountain town. This guy, he was one of those big, sturdy types...

And, all joking theories about her parentage aside, this is Camil's real connection to the Demon King Chronicle. She's named after a different kind of flower in Japanese, unless I miss my guess, but a casual search wasn't quite enough to discern which type.

You lost weight again. Are you eating properly?

Let's see, the third chapter... Oh, you've barely written anything yet.

Sorry. The pen just wouldn't flow.

I see. Well, don't try to force it out.

But, there is a problem. My time is coming.

Is that so... Well, then you better get to work.

Yeah, I guess so.

Can you finish it?

I'll finish it. All that's left is the Third Chapter, the story of the Dragon.

Just a little more.

Yup, just a little more. What kind of story is the final chapter?

You want to know?

Yeah.

Alright, I'll tell you. The final chapter is...

Yes, they really do just end it there. They wanted to mirror the way the Chronicle wasn't ever finished, I guess.

Or they were just being dicks. Either one.

New achivemements: "Open 200 treasure chests," "Used items 100 times," and "Survive over 1000 battles." The remaining three are "have over 50000 gold" (not happening), "Do 600 damage in one attack" (will probably happen), and "Do 1000 damage in one attack" (maybe near the very end of the postgame stuff).

Now that we've reached the final battle... Now's a good time to pick up The Final Battle as Planned. That's for next time.

Annihilation Record:

Annihilation count:30
[2014/04/13 13:40]Defeated at unknown area.

Battle Record:

2014/04/13/ 15:46:25
Demon King Chronicle

■Battle results
Playtime:17:42:23
Save count:179
Steps taken:87663
Battle count:1031
Max damage:515
Max damage taken:605
Items:71 Types 162 Items

■Treasure Chests
The Imagination: 30/32

■Camil(36)
HP:149
SP:74
Attack:290
Defense:97
Critical:41
Skill:54
Agility:84
・Praying Mantis Axe(3)
・Aegis(2)
・Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark(3)
・Zara Sword(3)
・Lucky Rabbit(3)

■Randolf(35)
HP:118
SP:89
Attack:233
Defense:114
Critical:14
Skill:136
Agility:69
・Speckcinder(3)
・Delusion Cocoon(1)
・Sagarmatha(0)
・Varnished Bird Wing(3)
・Black Ladybug(3)

■(27)
HP:119
SP:56
Attack:170
Defense:41
Critical:22
Skill:65
Agility:57
・Daybreak Club(2)
・Mask of Determination(1)
・Zara Mantle (2)
・Trauma(1)
・Stained Wing(1)

■Top 10 defeats
Green Mud Man(178)
Rat(160)
Toothy Piranha(157)
Mermaid(143)
Wake-Eater(89)
Merman(84)
Monkey(83)
Deformity(82)
Mutt(80)

Glossary:

New entries:

■Ritzea
The character created by Harold Diester
which was modeled after Aeritz.

■Randolf
The character created by Harold Diester
which was modeled after Flodnar.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
An attack with no name? Sounds like another broken character encoding thing. Looking it up, the attack's name is just supposed to be "!", but it's... in a japanese character version of an exclamation mark? Apparently the English RPG Maker executable doesn't want to display it. Also, i have no idea why it hurts like hell... Seems like an average spell.

Gonna update that localization fix with this tiny thing once it's not 3 a.m. over here. Also, i should probably catch up with the LP on my own playthrough. If i actually went through the Imagination, i most likely would've found this myself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

According to that Google-translated walkthrough, cutthroat is "decapitation" and that blank attack seems to be "beheading". So that's what the fans seem to have nicknamed them. Which isn't confusing at all.

Ambivalence's seems to ignore defense to some degree. It hurts a lot more than The Unconcious'.

Maybe the original attack name is supposed to be a "you can't comprehend the form of this skill" sort of deal?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 18, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

HenryEx posted:

An attack with no name? Sounds like another broken character encoding thing. Looking it up, the attack's name is just supposed to be "!", but it's... in a japanese character version of an exclamation mark? Apparently the English RPG Maker executable doesn't want to display it. Also, i have no idea why it hurts like hell... Seems like an average spell.

Gonna update that localization fix with this tiny thing once it's not 3 a.m. over here. Also, i should probably catch up with the LP on my own playthrough. If i actually went through the Imagination, i most likely would've found this myself.

! by itself is used as shorthand in a lot of RPGs and stuff to be a surprised/panicked gasp for some reason. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be implying?

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

SSNeoman posted:

cutthroat is "decapitation"
Yeah and I really don't like that they didn't translate it as such because Decapitation sounds so much cooler. I guess they went with cutthroat because it's not guaranteed to kill.

Also for Camil's name, she actually is named after the Camellia flower in Japan. It's just an instance like Rudolf and Randolph where naming someone after something in Japanese involves taking characters from it's name. This can create whole new words and change names significantly to the point of it's very hard to figure out the origin without being told it. Oddly enough the Himari(Camil) wordplay isn't even the worst bit of wordplay in the game.

The unfortunate thing for English audiences is the connection between Camil and flowers is rather obvious while in Japanese it's subtle as hell.

Edit: She might be named after the Amaryllis as well. They both share characters from Camil's name and both could be the reoccurring plant.

Valkama fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 18, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What is a good setup for a Camil looking to tackle the ultimate boss?

I got
Holy Sword That Cuts The Dark
Cordelia
Helm
Lucky Rabbit
Dagger

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

SSNeoman posted:

I got
Cordelia
Helm
Lucky Rabbit
Dagger

Question do you have what is behind the 260 chest door?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Valkama posted:

Question do you have what is behind the 260 chest door?

Yes, I do.

Please don't say some ultra item is dropped in the final Cave Chronicle section. And if it is, please tell me Balrog does not respawn

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Valkama posted:

Yeah and I really don't like that they didn't translate it as such because Decapitation sounds so much cooler. I guess they went with cutthroat because it's not guaranteed to kill.

Also for Camil's name, she actually is named after the Camellia flower in Japan. It's just an instance like Rudolf and Randolph where naming someone after something in Japanese involves taking characters from it's name. This can create whole new words and change names significantly to the point of it's very hard to figure out the origin without being told it. Oddly enough the Himari(Camil) wordplay isn't even the worst bit of wordplay in the game.

The unfortunate thing for English audiences is the connection between Camil and flowers is rather obvious while in Japanese it's subtle as hell.

Edit: She might be named after the Amaryllis as well. They both share characters from Camil's name and both could be the reoccurring plant.

I'd disagree on Camil's name obviously being based on a flower in English--I wouldn't have guessed it at all if Laylaria hadn't brought it up. That said, if it was me localizing, I would have made her name "Mellia"; it's equally valid as a derivation of "Camellia" and it looks a lot more like an English name.

SSNeoman posted:

I got
Cordelia
Helm
Lucky Rabbit
Dagger

(No need for spoilers, though I appreciate the thought; those two items aren't story-important. Out of the items we haven't seen, I'd probably only count the item behind the superboss door and the sword at the bottom of The Snow Fields's Cave Chronicle entrance, plus the special some-battles-only sword.)

I'm assuming you're using the Aegis on someone else? If you are, then the Helm is fine. I'd strongly consider switching out the Lucky Rabbit for the Zara Mantle--not only does it get you +Agility to keep Sporadic Guard activating and keep you alive, it gives you Fast Attack. That's very useful for triggering the 260 Door skill and then healing her up before the enemy can take advantage, and that'll make up for the lost Critical in spades.

If you're using the Zara Mantle, then keep the Dagger. Otherwise, swap it out for the Zara Sword--you want the +16 Agility and the +8% dodge chance, and the lowered chance of Extra Attack and lowered damage on successive strikes couples with lower activation rate to make the Dagger not actually all that great. The lost attack's a bit of a bummer, but Camil generally isn't your primary damage dealer unless she's got a buff up, so it isn't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Valkama posted:

Can you expand on that? I'm not that great at Japanese, and I'm completely missing how himari can come out of any of 椿(the kanji for the camellia)'s readings -- tsubaki, chin or chun. As a little baby Japanese learner my guess was that she was named after the jasmine (using one or both of 茉 and 莉).

SSNeoman posted:

I got
Cordelia
Helm
Lucky Rabbit
Dagger

I'm pretty sure I had a glass cannon build for her. Let me see if I can dig up my save from before that boss and check her setup.

Yeah, I still have it.

Long Sword
Mask of Determination

Dagger
Parts
Holy Sword that Cuts the Dark

As for Randy and Will...

Book of Manslaying
Three-Legged Frog

Biter
Helm
Slippery Ring

---

Baby's Breath
Black Ladybug

Aegis
Footfalls of Hope
Cordelia

I didn't have the Delusion Cocoon (what the hell?) or the thing behind the 260 door but it wasn't that hard because Will is broken as all get-out. Also I was completely unaware of a bunch of stuff that was revealed in the thread (like hidden stats on items), so maybe this isn't all that optimal. It worked though!

• Locked thread