Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keldulas posted:

The game story does look somewhat interesting at least, though does Camil ever break the silent protagonist syndrome?

I don't think she's supposed to, since she's an audience surrogate.

Also man this game looks like it can be hella mean.

Speaking of, can you level up the empty bottles? If so, do they restore more if you fill them up afterwards? And do you have to level up each one individually?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Something tells me those kids never made it up that tower :shepface:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey maybe I can sneak round some enemies in the part past this du-

[2014/03/21 19:44] Defeated at The Seashore by Toothy Piranha.
[2014/03/21 19:43] Defeated at The Seashore by Spiny Eel.

:stare: Ok. You made yourself clear, game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually recommend hoofing it into the mountain. Why? Because there are a whole bunch of items you can get up ahead, including a new weapon for Camil. You can also use this opportunity to train up Randolf so he doesn't die when an enemy looks at him. Just make sure to use Randolf's spells to take down enemies. It's a slow process, but it beats the hell out of monkey dodging.
This makes the snow field much more bearable, but eh. Up to you.

The major downside is that the mountain is hell for your eyes. gently caress that goddamn filter.

EDIT: If you are gonna do this,

1) Give Randolph as much SP as possible. Skill is secondary.
2) Camil is backup with her Fire Wave. Once she gets the weapon, boost her attack instead.
3) You will likely want more Energy Restores than Stamina Restores.
4) Fight enemies one at a time. (Enemy tactics follow. No story spoilers) The moose dudes are relatively chill but will go after you if you aggro an enemy. Those orb things do aggro you and attract the moose dudes. They are very hard to see, but generally hang around dead-ends and exits.
5) If you see a charging red dude, make sure your SP is in order an go all out with spells in battle. MAKE SURE TO USE THE ENVIRONMENT TO KEEP THEM SEPARATE FROM OTHER ENEMIES.

6) Make sure to shuffle after every fight so Randolph can get his SP back. His Lightning spell is your lifeline.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 22, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Einander you lied to me you said there were goodies in that hole but instead there is only pain, misery and things that OHKO my party.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So I sorta hit a snag:

This error comes up when I enter a teleporter in a latter dungeon and my game closes after. I assume I'm missing a file?

And since this is a sort of DKC FAQ as well;

(His Memory crystal cheevo questions. Little spoilery)Should I get the crystal that deals with the ending? It's really vague about what it does and 4k is quite a chunk of cash.
Also, should I be building Camil as a mage? I see lots of SP and skill up crystals, but I made her my physical attacker since she mastered swords earlier than everyone else. And fire wave isn't that great so I figured "eh". But I'm passing by a lot of crystals...

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 25, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't find that White Dress until muuuuuuuuuuuch later. Shame, that ability looks super useful. Especially since potions are at a premium at this point.

Does the rabbit always appear in the south? Cause that's where I found mine.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cool! Thanks, it works now!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You mean the Sand of Remembrance? Do you have Light Axe? I got through it by pumping up my skill and using it until things stopped moving. Make sure to get enemies one at a time as they like to call in friends.

Alternatively, use the stairs in the Death Rat house to jump straight to your destination.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 4, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

drat, the Tower was a really cool dungeon. I'm sad that Nana left the party, but I guess it had to happen because holy hell is she strong.

But now I fell down a hole, all my potions broke and I'm in a place full of traps and goats send help

You can get back out by going out of the castle and heading south. There will be a cliff you can jump off to get back into the Nest.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well, I killed the final boss. I got cocky and tried to use some desperation skills and BOY did he make me regret that. I won by the skin of my teeth.
If anyone's having trouble, here's some advice: besides any evasion boosts, focus on keeping your party topped off. It's not the quickest way to win or the most exciting, but it gets the job done.

My annihilation count was an even 40. It would have been lower, but I'm a moron who can't take a hint when the game goes "don't jump down the hole"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 26, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Wow, hold your horses, man. You're reaching a little far ahead.

Yeah, I purposefully kept it vague in case anyone catches up and has trouble. I'm not gonna elaborate further unless someone asks.

Ugh. I know how to navigate this place on account of chest hunting and it still looks like an awful clusterfuck to me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Is it anything special beyond extra hair?

To be fair, that's a huge boost to your stats at that point. And since enemies do so little damage, its downside isn't that much of an issue.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Basically as soon as you start the game, turn right around and head outside to the DKC. Weave through the rats until you get to the shortcut. Take the shortcut back to the Nest and you'll see the thing.

To make sure Randolph gets Fire Wave, I think you just gotta avoid talking to Aaron until you find him. That actually sound pretty useful as Randolph lacks AoE and his Skill should be very high.

Also that Millet is not a guaranteed drop, which I learned from doing this. That is really mean.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 27, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think what you were supposed to do was equip Apples on both characters. You get them from the ASMs (I think) and they prevent poison.
You will likely not do this because

1) Their stat boost sucks
2) The special ability is simply called "poison" and not "prevent poison" so you obviously think something bad will happen if you put it on
3) The dragon can be beaten if you play smart with your energy restores and just keep the poison on your guys.

VV I got one of those Decorations! It was really good!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 27, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, I'm finding the post game more tedious than difficult. I might change my tune in the next area, but that's where I stand right now.

Anyway, do any of the decorations in Aaron's shop do stuff? Or do they just look pretty?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They drop from the Hamlet Death House rats.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are you gonna keep trying to get through it, or will you just take the death rat house shortcut? It'll be easier and faster than this crap :shobon:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's also possible to screw yourself out of four chests. There's a puzzle in the final dungeons that sends you to a punishment room if you mess up. This room has two chests. If you beat the puzzle, the punishment room becomes inaccessible.
There are two such puzzle rooms, each with its own punishment room and each one with two chests. It's honestly really mean.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 29, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How do you fellas get money? Items are prohibitively expensive now and I'd have to farm a ton if I want any decent amount of cash.
In particular I ball up and kill those moving knight statues, but it's slow going.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Look up two or three posts to my previous reply! You can probably recover whatever it is you lost with the debug mod.

Negative chief. I'm getting one of these when I use it:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

But I am in Japa-

Locale: English (UnitedStates)

Huh when did I change it back to...

WELP nevermind then! Disregard me I'm a moron :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was using Notepad. Switching to Textpad worked though :)

Neat thing you made dude! Thanks a lot!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nope, I used option B, Tallgeese.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always tried to have Nana finish off the boss. Seeing her smile while saying goodbye to Camil made the pain worthwhile :3: You kick rear end, Nana.

I really like the music in this dungeon, but I had the hardest time with the monsters and puzzles for some reason. Those burning dragon heads kicked my party's rear end with their AoE. On the other hand, this boss was much easier than Randolph's.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Well that boss is totally the personification of her fear of her wrecked child friend and her granddad in The Tower, yes? Nightmare fuel for everyone!

Sort of. It's more like Nana's trying to break herself free from her grandfather's shadow. In her writing, she notes that she was afraid to go against him, which is why she ran away from the boy. So this is her facing her fears and insecurities while trying to make up for what she did in the past.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

If anyone wants to have a quick look at them, i recently added the Debug Mod option to display them in any fight if you hold ALT while casting the spell.

YES! It's just like my Japanese anime! This is the best idea.

So turns out if you equip the Rat Slayer To Randolf it becomes the Dergon Slayer in the final fight. I'm guessing there's no way to get it in the game proper?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 4, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Functional skill increase. Partly because I'm mostly sure it's a bug and partly because ~more numbers~ :swoon:

I also note the game crashes when you try to enter a room with one of those silver chests in the postgame dungeon (if you have US locale on).

EDIT: Here's the error:

I'm actually using debug mode for debugging :v: and getting a few chest I missed along the way

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 5, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, that was me, sorry about that.
Anyway, for the cut in images to display, do I have to hold alt when selecting a character's spell?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

WELP the optional dungeon got bad. I got past the seventh part and made it to the next save point (by the skin of my loving teeth) The next part...oh man it...it broke me. I'm gonna table this for later. Maybe I'll try the other hole when I get into the mood again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Did you try the well on the left side of the map? The one in between those three buildings?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Turns out red dudes in the first few post-game area have some neat drops. One gives you a rib which has attack +1 and the other drops a Helmet which has great stat boosts AND sporadic guard. They all have beheading (that multi-hit, all party attack) so be careful. I'm gonna farm a few of those helms and make my team tanky as gently caress.

Is there any way to reset that puzzle in the final dungeon? The one with the black orbs on the floor and the punishment room?

Anyone have any ideas how to get 500 HP?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 5, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hmmm. Thanks guys. I guess I needed to do some grinding anyway :v:
How many potions do you lose on that fall?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I thought the snow maiden was a reference to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snegurochka

BTW HenryEx, is there any way to reset that puzzle in the final dungeon using the debug menu? The one with the punishment rooms?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 6, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, the game's "training" areas are unfun, pains in the rear end filled with enemies. The dungeons are mostly pleasant. I actually find the second and third to be pretty relaxing.

And Kumo's lines feature the best pay-off and probably my favourite bit in the game.

Einander posted:

but it's fairly smooth sailing from The Tower to The Imagination.

Yeah, now that you can survive against Shout'd enemies.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 10, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually quite liked the seashore. It was a pretty neat area with relatively easy enemies and some neat puzzles.

The mountain can eat a dick though. That filter is awful.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fire Wave's not that great even with Skill-based Randolph? That's a shame. Ah well,thanks for showing off that run! I love this sort of thing :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm impressed how much character Camil gets despite being a silent protagonist. The first of which is her skills, like "slap on the back", which makes me imagine a gutsy, cheerful woman. That is probably why people tell her their stories and ask her for help when facing their personal demons.

I think acquiring Will is the same thing. Kumo told her that this world sucks because there's no "healing magic, starfall magic, etc..."
So what does she do? Fix the world so it has those things :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think if you talk to Aaron immediately after opening The Imagination, he mentions that it was Harold Diester's Will Stone that possessed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I did it. I finally got all the loving chests in the cave chronicle hahahahaha :shepface:

I wish bad things upon the person who decided to give those enemies the Call Friends ability. One battle had me go through two music loops before it finished. The funny part is that I took down Shelob and Sharkey with no effort whatsoever. It's just the trash mobs are the biggest loving slog.

• Locked thread