Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I was under the impression that Lankhor Mhy devotees were "totally not sorcerers, wink-wink-nudge-nudge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

wiegieman posted:

I was under the impression that Lankhor Mhy devotees were "totally not sorcerers, wink-wink-nudge-nudge".

They're not. Sorcerers are godless scum, and Lhankorings are not such. Though the godless Zzaburi stole the Eternal Book from Lhankor Mhy and perverted it, his devoted followers strive throughout their lives to bring it back together in it's fullness, making sure to purify it of the taint left by the atheistic bastards.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A. Yes!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
[B]c, read the spell to get an idea but don't memorize it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
A always learn everything.

That trickster stuff was pretty good :)

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
B Don't learn it. I'm not sure we could control a "spirit of stone".

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chatrapati posted:

B Don't learn it. I'm not sure we could control a "spirit of stone".

Oh we definitely can't. Doing that with any sort of consistency would take specialized magic or shamanic training. Also, I'd note that the spell talks about awakening "spirits," as in plural.

That being said, just because we know a spell doesn't mean we have to use a spell.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

A. Yes of course! What could possibly go wrong?

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A. Yes!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Spell will be learned tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, you can join me in talking about the game or Glorantha (and all kinds of other stuff, really) over here at #cowgame. I'm logged in all the time, even if I'm not always present.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 3, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

You start memorizing the text, repeating it to yourself in your mind (but being careful not to recite it out loud, lest you activate the spell). After several readings of it you are fairly confidant that you can recite it on your own, and you put away your Alien Combination Machine and the scrolls (which you put back in the book you found them in). All of this is in good timing too, since your door opens and you see young Darasin stand there, a worried expression on her face. "Lady Yrsa, please come! Mother and Rostala are arguing in the downstairs room, and the lady you talked to earlier asked me to come get you!" You tell her to stay in the room and make sure nobody comes in or out, and head downstairs.

What you see in the dining area is quite something: Esrolare and Rostala are standing near their table, arguing with each other in loud voices (and getting close to outright yelling), the Innkeeper standing to the side and looking at the whole scene with disapproval and, oddly enough, none of the other patrons seem to even look at the arguing women. The reason for that, you suspect, is the man sitting on the floor and nursing a bruised eye. Both Esrolare and Rostala are gripping drinking cups, and you suspect that they are quite drunk.

"How dare you talk like that to me! You, which are no better than a dickless man!" yells Esrolare, and Rostala clenches her fists and seems to concentrate entirely on not lashing back at Esrolare. "As if you can judge me. Look at yourself, making a scene!" you can hear Rostala growl through clenched teeth.

This whole thing seems to be escalating quickly, and when Aslora Silverhaired sees you, she quickly comes to you and talks in a quiet tone. "Yrsa Paper-Cut, I beg you to reign in your companions. They have hurt one of my other patrons and this is getting close to breaching the rules of hospitality I gave you. Not to mention that if this goes on, the Lunar soldiers who patrol the caravansarai will come in to investigate!"

1. Esrolare and Rostala are fighting about something - What now?
A. Let them have it out, might as well get it out of their systems now than later.
B. Let them argue for a bit, but stop them if it seems this might escalate.
C. Go in and try to break them up.
D. Something Else?

Jenx fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 4, 2014

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
As much as I wanna say D. AWAKEN THE DORMANT STONE SPIRIIIIIITS

I'm gonna vote C.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
They risk breaking Hospitality. This is awful, We should break this up immediately. C.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
B, eh if it starts looking bad, go between them, otherwise let them do what they want, they're adults.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

C. Let's try not becoming the center of attention in a place full of Lunar soldiers.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Break up the fight. Everybody knows that Ernalda and Vinga sometimes don't get along, but they're also daughter and mother, wife and husband, and occasionally (depending on which story you go by) sisters. They should respect one another, even if they find one another odd.

Jenx posted:

They're not. Sorcerers are godless scum, and Lhankorings are not such. Though the godless Zzaburi stole the Eternal Book from Lhankor Mhy and perverted it, his devoted followers strive throughout their lives to bring it back together in it's fullness, making sure to purify it of the taint left by the atheistic bastards.

And while the story of Lhankor Mhy might sound like the story of a Western atheist and his people joining a foreign tribe of storm gods during a time of great tumult, it's not, so shut up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Break up the fight before we're a bunch of hospitality-breakers with lunar soldiers breathing down our necks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Solve this the Viking way. Drink it out!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
C: Hospitality is sacred, we have an obligation as guests.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

You shake your head and move in towards your companions. "Stop it, both of you! You are abusing the hospitality offered to you." you turn to Rostala "Would Orlanth have hit another person's guest when they were under their protection?" You then turn to Esrolare "Did Ernalda lose her composure and yell at someone like a common cottar? No, no they didn't. You are being disrespectful both to the gods and to yourselves!"

You lower your voice as you speak. "And need I remind you, none of us are friends to the Red Moon - if you continue this, the soldiers outside will surely come in and investigate the commotion. You are drawing attention to ourselves!" Rostala and Esrolare seem to calm down a bit as you speak to them. They look at each other, and then to the other patrons. Aslora comes to you and thanks you, and Esrolare and Rostala give her a bow and apologize for their behavior.

As you order some beer (and make sure neither of the two women drink anything stronger than that) and sit down, Rostala speaks, and you can still hear hostility in her voice. "I am fully aware we are drawing attention to ourselves, Paper-Cut, for this is why this whole argument started." She throws a smoldering glare at Esrolare "She was asking around some of the men in here if they would like to join us as guards on our way to Pavis! Not only did she tell everyone where we are going and what we're doing, but she is insinuating you and I are not skilled or strong enough to protect our party."

You turn to Esrolare and she raises he eyebrows. "What the Red Woman says is true - I was asking around for caravan guards, but not because I doubt yours or hers fighting ability, but for I know there is safety in numbers. A larger party would be able to deal with more problems than just we three and Lionfish. As such, I feel like her comment about my promiscuity was unwarranted and crude." Rostala bristles up "It might have been said in the heat of the moment, but just as crude was your comment about me!"

1. The whole thing is starting to spiral out of hand, again.
A. "Rostala, Esrolare is right. We need more people if we get attacked by nomads."
B. "Esrolare, Rostala and I are strong enough to be able to protect our party. We don't need any more people with us."
C. Ask both of them to apologize to each other, but take no side.

((This whole thing is going to be chopped up in smaller segments like this, so expect shorter updates for the next several days.))

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A- Yeah, we are going to be traveling with a decent amount of goods through nomad territory. We will be better off moving with a good amount of guards so that we won't be attacked at all, though we could probably handle it ourselves if it came to it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
D - Let's have this discussion, but somewhere private so we're not causing a scene.

If we can convince then to hold their tongues for a couple of minutes it might make us look less awful/attention-worthy to everyone else.

For the real answer though:

B - Well guarded caravans draw attention because they're well guarded caravans. With smaller numbers we'll draw less attention, especially if we look like the refugees that we are. And I think we can handle small trouble ourselves.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A
In the Awe Games of the Green Age, Lhankor Mhy discerned that the reason Orlanth's team won so frequently because it was made up of people with very different abilities. He discovered that the makeup of a diverse and balanced party comprises of four roles: The Animal, The Landscape, The Desire and The Protection.

As it is; I would say both us and Lionfish are of the Desire role, wanting to attain more and more things (knowledge, wealth); Rostala is of the Protection role for obvious reasons; Esrolare and possibly Darasin are of the Landscape roles, being of the Earth. To balance things out, we would need another Protector, and the two Animal roles could be filled by hunters or something else wild, like an Alynx. :3:
If Darasin is very different from her mother, or her soul and temperament haven't developed enough yet, we would need to do things differently, like have an extra person fill the Landscape role.

If we make a group like this I reckon our party could become a little more magical, because of its historical precedence. Since there would only be three extra people (or four at most), it's also a balance between having a large entourage and bringing along no-one else.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Let's go with Chatrapati's variant on A. I love the mythic spin on it, and we could use some extra people to flesh out our group. The presence of a priestess, a statue of ernalda, an ACM, and a scroll written by lord pavis more than justifies a larger entourage. At the same time we don't want to draw attention to ourselves.

Remember that we're uniquely qualified to recruit trustworthy people, what with our ability to detect lies.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Plan Chatrapati

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
C. If nomads attack, it won't matter if we have a few extra blades. They use bows and mounts, so they have longer range weapons and are faster. Either we get lucky and we don't meet them, or we can hide, or we can negotiate, but we can't win a fight.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

They use bows and mounts, so they have longer range weapons and are faster. Either we get lucky and we don't meet them, or we can hide, or we can negotiate, but we can't win a fight.

That is not, in fact, a certainty. Of the Five Great Tribes the only ones that are certain to use missile weapons are the Impalas (Or at worst some Sables). The rest prefer to deal with enemies up close.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

And if we're going to forget about the story of Vinga and her mile-long throw, I think we're just going to make Rostala angrier.

A. Appeal to Rostala by reminding her that this isn't denigrating her skills, but acknowledging them - part of being a respected Orlanthi warrior is the ability to lead a warband to victory while in enemy territory.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

BryanChavez posted:

And if we're going to forget about the story of Vinga and her mile-long throw, I think we're just going to make Rostala angrier.

A. Appeal to Rostala by reminding her that this isn't denigrating her skills, but acknowledging them - part of being a respected Orlanthi warrior is the ability to lead a warband to victory while in enemy territory.

Aye.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Major Ryan posted:

D - Let's have this discussion, but somewhere private so we're not causing a scene.

If we can convince then to hold their tongues for a couple of minutes it might make us look less awful/attention-worthy to everyone else.

I prefer this

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

B. Guards will draw attention. And may not be trustworthy.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

BryanChavez posted:

This.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Voting's in, I'll post the rest later.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

You take a deep breath. "Listen to me, Rostala. Nobody, neither I nor Esrolare, is trying to offend your combat prowess, but let's think here - if we get attacked by nomads there is no way just the two of us, and Lionfish, would be able to stop them." You look at Esolare "And we have a holy woman, an idol and a child traveling with us, we can not risk being overwhelmed."

Rostala takes a few drinks from her beer and then turns to both of you. "I... I guess you're right, Paper-Cut. And I apologize to you, Harvasdottir - I acted without honor and without thought."

Esrolare's face softens as she puts her hand on Rostala's shoulder. "I accept your apology, Red Woman. I too become carried away in my passions, especially when I have partaken in alcohol. I should not have questioned you, for you are both a great man, and a great woman."

You smile, as the situation seems to have been resolved. "Indeed, despite being a follower of the Knowning One, our companion has proven herself a diplomat of some skill. Though this brings us back to a question that had arisen during our chance meeting with the Wolf-People. I say to you, Yrsa Paper-Cut - Would you lead our group from now onward, until we reach our goal?"

She raises her hand before you can speak. "I am aware that tradition in our lands dictate that men should be the ones who lead and that you are not a man in form, save for your sheep beard. Yet you have the needed qualities, and I would say you have the soul of a man, if nothing else." She looks at you, expecting.

1. What do you say?
A. "No. I am a woman both in body and in soul."
B. "I agree. Though I may be a woman by form, I am a man by soul."
C. "No, I care nothing for Earth or Air. My devotion is to Knowledge, not any gender."
D. Some other response?

2. Also, do you agree to be the leader?
A. Agree.
B. Refuse, say you should work as a ring and have no one be leader.
C. Refuse, suggest someone else should lead instead (who?)

You cough "Now, as I was saying, I am not suggesting we should travel with an entire caravan either - we will be drawing too much attention to ourselves, and it will be quite expensive. However, I feel like we should recruit a few more people into our group, so we could have a decent sized number of fighters. Also, I know a way in which we could increase our magic and make our chances of crossing the wastelands better. You see, during the Green Age Lhankor Mhy was observing the Awe Games and..."

Esrolare and Rostala look at you with questioning glances in their eyes as you start explaining your plan of assembling your party in a mythically appropriate manner in relation to a secret Lhankoring Myth you can not reveal in full. Halfway through your explanation of your reasoning Esrolare raises her hand to stop you. "Please, Yrsa, I am sure I speak for both of us when I say we do not really understand much of what you are saying. Am I right, Rostala?" Rostala simply nods. "You forget, neither of us are close to the Knowing God as you are, and his mysteries are distant to us. Please explain this in a manner in which we could understand."

You shrug. "We need at least another good fighter in our group and we must find some people who are close with animals to get along with us. I was thinking either some friendly...or at least, less hostile, animal nomads. I know it sounds risky, but not even they would dare hurt the Earth Mother, and we will make them swear to her."

The priestess smiles and nods in approval. "A wise plan indeed. How do you propose we go about recruiting these people?"

3. Where do you go look for people to join your party?
A. Ask around in the Sleeping Alynx Inn.
B. Go out at the caravansarai and look for people there.
C. Go to the city and look to find someone there.
D. Ask someone from your party to look around (who?)
E. Something else entirely?

4. What kind of people are you looking to recruit?
This last one is an open question, since I can't list everything - a general idea of what kind of people you are looking for - animal nomads (what tribe?), adventurers, criminals, mercenaries, shamans, priests and so on.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 7, 2014

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Haha, brilliant.

1. A I imagine her to be a woman.

2. B Devoting some of our time to leading means less time learning, but maybe we should discuss this when Lionfish gets back to us.

3. B Caravaneers and travellers are more likely to know where to find extra hands than pub-goers and city folk I'd have thought.

Edit: Missed question 4

4. Recruit a pair of animal nomads and a strong looking, battle-hardy type person who isn't an adventurer. Adventurers will probably want a claim on the cool stuff we might find.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 7, 2014

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

D. Actually, I think you'll find that we have the Water rune. What now, Esrolare? :smug:

B. and C. Rostala has the spirit of Orlanth to her, and should act as leader of a ring we'll form here and now. The advice of Lhankor Mhy and Ernalda can guide her in making the correct decisions.

D. Suggest that Rostala take a look around, to find some battle-ready folks for our makeshift band, much like Orlanth created his tribe out of disparate elements.

We should see if we can find some Pol-Joni or some young toughs from the ranks of the Orlanthi refugees. If not, the animal nomads are preferable to other foreigners - they recognize the Lightbringers, and they were old allies in ancient times. The bison tribe, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

BryanChavez posted:

D. Actually, I think you'll find that we have the Water rune. What now, Esrolare? :smug:

B. and C. Rostala has the spirit of Orlanth to her, and should act as leader of a ring we'll form here and now. The advice of Lhankor Mhy and Ernalda can guide her in making the correct decisions.

D. Suggest that Rostala take a look around, to find some battle-ready folks for our makeshift band, much like Orlanth created his tribe out of disparate elements.

We should see if we can find some Pol-Joni or some young toughs from the ranks of the Orlanthi refugees. If not, the animal nomads are preferable to other foreigners - they recognize the Lightbringers, and they were old allies in ancient times. The bison tribe, probably.

You know what? Let's go with this. We define our our gender niche. Also, Lhankorlings have a nasty habit of getting trapped in a rut if they don't have an orlanthi to keep them on their toes.

• Locked thread