Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the cutting edge of web browsing, netscape navigator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ive never looked into it, but presumably uwp and winui have the full application lifecycle infrastructure for actually doing power saving in a principled way (all that worked fine in wp, and for all their failures microsoft will not usually throw that kind of thing out)

i believe they do, but i don't develop windows apps so i'm not certain how. either way edge isn't the only "modern" app that's asked me about power saving settings

mystes
May 31, 2006

dioxazine posted:

the cutting edge of web browsing, netscape navigator
I think early mozilla milestone releases had the most sharp edges really

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

The_Franz posted:

firefox and chrome do this on windows by hooking into the windows of all other applications so they can build a grid of windows and figure out if their window is currently occluded by others

https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:ui/aura/native_window_occlusion_tracker_win.cc

on mac and wayland the desktop does all of this for you, so you just listen for the occluded/suspended message and react accordingly

i would bet this is because they're classic win32 apps and probably will be for quite a while. when they were first developed wddm wasn't even a thing universally (in chrome's case, firefox is older, obviously), let alone any of the newer app frameworks

although i suppose chrome could pick up microsoft's changes to edge for the windows port, idk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure edge is very win32 beneath a very thin skin.

but also they are all major application frameworks in their own right, managing major applications themselves, and the things offered by the os are probably not very relevant at that scale as long as they provide enough info and don't restrict them unduly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

I think early mozilla milestone releases had the most sharp edges really

they also had that sweet blueprint looking theme

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pretty sure edge is very win32 beneath a very thin skin.

but also they are all major application frameworks in their own right, managing major applications themselves, and the things offered by the os are probably not very relevant at that scale as long as they provide enough info and don't restrict them unduly

yeah idk, i've never looked at the source for edge. it definitely has some "modern" features, but at the same time largely uses its own libraries for most things. i always figured that was because of its chromium lineage but maybe that's also what's blocking them from going totally uwp or whatever it's called now

i also never quite knew why they didn't keep the old edge's shell (which was definitely uwp) while just swapping out the rendering engine. i can't imagine there are many people using edge cross-platform, so idk how ms benefits from edge being a heavily yet barely modified chromium

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

they also had that sweet blueprint looking theme

this was the nice part

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i also never quite knew why they didn't keep the old edge's shell (which was definitely uwp) while just swapping out the rendering engine. i can't imagine there are many people using edge cross-platform, so idk how ms benefits from edge being a heavily yet barely modified chromium

true, though i do use edge on linux, so i am thankful it is a good "port"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dioxazine posted:

this was the nice part

there was one afterwards i liked a lot too. it was pretty similar in iconography but had more gradients and bevels for a subtle 3d-ish look

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

true, though i do use edge on linux, so i am thankful it is a good "port"

it does seem preferable to literal google chrome, but maybe not chromium or some other fork that rips out the tracking and advertising bullshit. but ms is almost as guilty as google there, and is in some cases actually worse, so maybe there's some edge port like that now too?

idk, i'm just having a hard time imagining a use case for it. on windows, there's some actual benefit to using edge: it's optimized for it, and it does a good job of hooking into or otherwise emulating windows' behavior (since it's still just chromium underneath)

on linux or macos you might as well be using straight up chromium i think. unless i guess you need entra id integration or something? or you just really, really like copilot? :psyduck:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

im in some microsoft ecosystems, and partially on windows. when i first started the authenticator-connected autofill was an edge feature. now the extension is on any chromium. but now i use some other features (e.g. collections) a bit, plus i use "edge" on ios, where getting decent integrations is a bit touchier.

also nothing about edge on linux in and off itself has given me any reason to switch, has been entirely problem-free as such.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

im in some microsoft ecosystems, and partially on windows. when i first started the authenticator-connected autofill was an edge feature. now the extension is on any chromium. but now i use some other features (e.g. collections) a bit, plus i use "edge" on ios, where getting decent integrations is a bit touchier.

also nothing about edge on linux in and off itself has given me any reason to switch, has been entirely problem-free as such.

fair enough, i jump between oses pretty frequently too so i get where you're coming from there. i usually don't bother with anything fancy like collections though, but i do have icloud bookmark/password sync (which also exists as a chromium plugin now) set up to work with/supplement edge autofill, which i also have on ios as an alternate to icloud passwords, so they update each other depending on where i'm adding a new account/bookmark

worth noting having a firefox account and using lockwise (or whatever they rebranded it to, i think it's just integrated into the main firefox app now) accomplishes much of the same thing, although there's only a bookmark sync plugin for firefox, not passwords. but you can work around that by having icloud passwords update firefox's also on ios and vice versa

i use either with safari on ios though. edge's interface on ios is a godawful terrible mess and firefox's is kinda too simplified. safari kinda hits the sweet spot, although i really wish icab mobile had similar sync functionality since you can make it nearly identical to safari while having the more advanced functionality hidden away

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

so if i'm understanding this correctly phoronix went and wrote an article "SDL3 Will Keep Wayland Default At Least for the Time Being" based on this comment on the PR

https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/9345 posted:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

It sounds like the Wayland folks are aware of the issues and are making progress towards addressing them. I'll leave Wayland default for now while they are doing that, so it's easier for people to test and provide them feedback. We will re-evaluate this as we get closer to full release.

@Joshua-Ashton, can you create individual issues that impact this and create a task list in the original merge request report, for tracking?

I'm going to lock this conversation for now so we can focus on development.

then two hours later the SDL project lead came back with a nearly complete reversal:

quote:

Since the performance issues motivating this PR are resolved by the combination of fifo-v1 and commit-timing-v1, let's check for those protocols before using Wayland by default.

@Joshua-Ashton, I'll go ahead and close this PR. Can you open a new one implementing that?

For those following along, this change guarantees that high performance Vulkan applications like games have the best experience by default. Hopefully these protocols will land soon, but either way the user has final control over the backend being used, via the SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER environment variable.

i say "nearly complete reversal" because apparently those two protocols don't actually exist?

like there are two open merge requests against the wayland-protocols repo that are tagged Needs acks, Needs implementations, Needs review:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/256

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/248

so i would assume that no compositors actually implement those protocols? certainly no released versions, anyway

shackleford fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think the correct conclusion is "sdl is staying xwayland default" and phoronix was a bit too hasty reading sam's a bit too hasty summary closing out the fruitless conversation

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Compare the names in the discussions on those MRs.

The simple truth is that there's usually overlap between those projects and they may implement things in anticipation of their inclusion in their dependencies, because people work on both or talk to each other.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

yeah, i think the correct conclusion is "sdl is staying xwayland default" and phoronix was a bit too hasty reading sam's a bit too hasty summary closing out the fruitless conversation

no, it will use wayland by default, but only if the implementation supports the necessary protocols. basically it sidesteps the current issue while avoiding any future drama around changing the defaults

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

which versions of which compositors do i need to install to get it to use wayland by default? if there are no such released versions, which development branches of which compositors can be used to test this functionality?

like afaict (i could be wrong) the code in that most recent PR (https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/9383) is completely untested and untestable right now, and the de facto default is xwayland

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:shrug: i just use the little dropdown on SDDM where it says "Plasma (Wayland)" vs the one that says "Plasma (X11)"

for real though i didn't even know sdl3 existed lol. sounds like it's going to use x11 unless you set SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER to whatever it expects for wayland (which would ideally just be "wayland", but who knows, i've seen way crazier envs)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
SDL 3 doesn't exist yet. There's a huge wishlist of things people want from SDL 3 so it's going to take a long while.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

seems like the main branch calls itself 3? the current release is 2.3.x, which has its own

i mean, i get that it's nowhere near finished, but i didn't know they'd even started work on it

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

yeah they released the first preview release "3.1.0" the other day. i think they're trying to get all the backwards incompatible ABI/API breaks done soon

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hmm backwards incompatible eh

a lot of poo poo uses sdl2, so hopefully you can have 3 installed alongside 2 like you can 1

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

yeah they're different SONAMEs, like libSDL2-2.0.so.0 vs libSDL3.so.0 or whatever. they're trying to lock down the breaks going into libSDL3.so.0

relatedly, there is a compatibility layer https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl2-compat

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shackleford posted:

yeah they're different SONAMEs, like libSDL2-2.0.so.0 vs libSDL3.so.0 or whatever. they're trying to lock down the breaks going into libSDL3.so.0

relatedly, there is a compatibility layer https://github.com/libsdl-org/sdl2-compat

sdl2-compat works really well. the ue5 editor actually runs better with sdl3 via sdl2-compat, because sdl3 has proper popup window support for menus and tooltips

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

shackleford posted:

that’s pretty stupid, it should be libSDL-2.0.0.so and libSDL-3.1.0.so and so on, and everything that worked when built against the former should work perfectly and transparently when run against the latter

newer versions should check the linked-against version if necessary to put in place compatibility hacks if they really need to change API behavior between versions

really this is like table stakes poo poo for implementing and maintaining libraries, what is it about Linux that breaks people’s brains such that think this kind of idiocy is acceptable?

you don’t break end user software that obeys the API contract, it doesn’t matter whether your code runs in kernel or user space, you just don’t loving do it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
… the whole point of giving it a different name is that it guarantees that they cannot possibly break any existing sdl2 software even by accident, why are you so angry about the way they are accomplishing this

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Soricidus posted:

… the whole point of giving it a different name is that it guarantees that they cannot possibly break any existing sdl2 software even by accident, why are you so angry about the way they are accomplishing this

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
users don’t deserve a stable API

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Soricidus posted:

i might be misunderstanding but i think the objection is to the compatibility layer not just being the default?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

libmap is pretty neat

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

eschaton posted:

that’s pretty stupid, it should be libSDL-2.0.0.so and libSDL-3.1.0.so and so on, and everything that worked when built against the former should work perfectly and transparently when run against the latter

newer versions should check the linked-against version if necessary to put in place compatibility hacks if they really need to change API behavior between versions

really this is like table stakes poo poo for implementing and maintaining libraries, what is it about Linux that breaks people’s brains such that think this kind of idiocy is acceptable?

you don’t break end user software that obeys the API contract, it doesn’t matter whether your code runs in kernel or user space, you just don’t loving do it

nah the proper GNU/Linux way to accomplish what you're talking about is never bumping the SONAME and adding fine grained symbol versioning information to newly added symbols and then not breaking the API exposed in the headers. this is how glibc works and why you can compile and link something against an old rear end libc.so.6 and it will run against a modern libc.so.6

if anything the SDL approach here seems kinda windows brained

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well, sdl is a game library, you have to do windows brained things when interacting with game devs otherwise they will short circuit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

shackleford posted:

nah the proper GNU/Linux way to accomplish what you're talking about is never bumping the SONAME and adding fine grained symbol versioning information to newly added symbols and then not breaking the API exposed in the headers. this is how glibc works and why you can compile and link something against an old rear end libc.so.6 and it will run against a modern libc.so.6

if anything the SDL approach here seems kinda windows brained

except that your old thing also links against libncurses5 and your new linux has libncurses6 and it’s literally impossible to install libncurses5 alongside it because they require their data files to be in the same location but use different incompatible binary data formats (and nothing even uses the extra precision in the version 6 files, they increased some field sizes and broke compatibility entirely pointlessly because all the values anyone has ever wanted or will ever want can fit perfectly well in the old fields)

… I love linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah it doesn't always work well, especially if you're compiling something that expects a certain minor version number

like editing the so manually can sometimes work in a pinch but that's really not a great idea

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Soricidus posted:

except that your old thing also links against libncurses5 and your new linux has libncurses6 and it’s literally impossible to install libncurses5 alongside it because they require their data files to be in the same location but use different incompatible binary data formats (and nothing even uses the extra precision in the version 6 files, they increased some field sizes and broke compatibility entirely pointlessly because all the values anyone has ever wanted or will ever want can fit perfectly well in the old fields)

… I love linux

this bullshit is what they claim is “fixed” by containers

shared libraries my rear end. just statically link everything dude. fuckitall.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Soricidus posted:

complain to your linux distro. mine provides working, co-installable libncurses.so.5 and libncurses.so.6 SONAMEs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fresh_cheese posted:

this unironically

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

works great until your library needs to load library data off the filesystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fresh_cheese posted:

i've done that more than a few times to get useful things like rsync on lovely SAN appliances and whatnot