Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I just used Microsoft Ubuntu Linux to join some .pdf files together. 10/10 would Linux again the next time I need to janitor PDFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I just used Microsoft Ubuntu Linux to join some .pdf files together. 10/10 would Linux again the next time I need to janitor PDFs
They don't have pdftk for windows?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol apparently they do. never mind - no point in using Linux ever again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Spins up WSL2
Tries to compile something
Goes to sleep
Wakes up, still compiling
Switches to real Linux
Compiling takes 30 seconds.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you're holding it wrong

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ratbert90 posted:

Spins up WSL2
Goes to sleep
Switches to real Linux

lol

matti
Mar 31, 2019

you dropped this >

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

you're holding it wrong

I/O is trash on WSL2. Instead of fixing their horrible I/O and implementing a sane directory cache and fixing NT to not have to require opening a file every single time a call is made to that file like Linux, their solution is to run WSL in a VM lmao.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol that file io still sucks? i tried wsl 1 ages ago and it was dog poo poo, you would think thatd be priority in version 2.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

lol that file io still sucks? i tried wsl 1 ages ago and it was dog poo poo, you would think thatd be priority in version 2.

They made it "Up to 10x faster" which is still 90% slower than native linux.

So I guess their next solution is to just add support for ext4 which is a good FS instead of NTFS which is terrible.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

curious, does it matter for development purposes? and if it does, for what kind of software?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

matti posted:

curious, does it matter for development purposes? and if it does, for which kind of software?

Anytime you do any heavy I/O things such as compiling it will be horrendously slow and painful.

Edit* Also LOL at NTFS still being case-insensitive.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

...did i just out myself as only compiling baby code, drat

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pram posted:

dont manage them at all like this then, use something like ansible and an actual inventory

i took this a step further and used ansible templating and lists of our servers and it exhausts putty/iterm2/ssh_config/securecrt stuff you can just drop in and you have all your sessions, it even inserts CyberArk if its used for the host.

its nice, we can even do tab complete with the ssh hosts in t he command line.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Edit* Also LOL at NTFS still being case-insensitive.

is case sensitivity a good thing??

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
case sensitivity is very important because sometimes i need to cd into ~/Documents and other times i need to cd into ~/documents

matti
Mar 31, 2019

maybe wsl3 just drops /mnt and is just a straight up vm with no integration

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i tried using ctags in vim under a windows drive and gosh i was confused for a long while why everything appeared double

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i helped an azure iot dev at MS setup a yocto toolchain in wsl on his MS issued surfacebook

the only good word in that sentence is Yocto

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

the only good word in that sentence is Yocto

Yocto isn't Buildroot though, so it's actually bad?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
all this windows-style janitoring is exactly why i wouldn't trust someone who claimed to have lunix experience on a resume but actually used modern services4unix or whatever it's called now

yeah sure buddy glad you can use cygwin, but do you know how an operating system works

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

is case sensitivity a good thing??

Yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

why?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Why would a file that's name foo be the same as a file named Foo?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Yocto isn't Buildroot though, so it's actually bad?

clearly I'm yocto shaggar

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Truga posted:

'Include /sysadmin/git/repo/clone/path/ssh_config' in ~/.ssh/config, along with sane tab-completion and naming schemes, op

does ssh do includes from those configs now? dang :o

since there are a lot of windows-users in here, if you and your coworkers have to manage getting to your 500 hand-maintained windows boxes, try something like http://guacamole.apache.org to manage connections and give a common interface you can auth into with sso or whatever. it was helpful to me back when i had shittier jobs

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
to be fair buildroot is a great system, I have nothing bad to say about it

yocto is better

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

to be fair buildroot is a great system, I have nothing bad to say about it

yocto is better

Nah. Yocto is a mess with a bunch of very questionable layers.
OE is fine, but it's all the terrible layers on top that make it a giant mess.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Why would a file that's name foo be the same as a file named Foo?

cuz i dont want to hold shift

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

cuz i dont want to hold shift

But it's windows? You just point and click? If it was a good OS you would use the terminal with proper tab completion.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
agreed that third-party yocto layers are garbage for the most-part

layers are amazing for customization though - they make it easy as hell to tweak a recipe's behavior or add a patch, without needing to janitor your own mirror of the upstream recipes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

agreed that third-party yocto layers are garbage for the most-part

layers are amazing for customization though - they make it easy as hell to tweak a recipe's behavior or add a patch, without needing to janitor your own mirror of the upstream recipes

Luckily you can do that for the most part with BR2_external with Buildroot.

I always manage embedded projects in a docker container, so if I have upstream patches I dump them in $company/patches/buildroot and apply them when building the docker image.

Edit*

It comes down to whether or not you want a firmware generator or a full blow distro.

Buildroot is a firmware generator, Yocto is a distro.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 16, 2020

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

But it's windows? You just point and click? If it was a good OS you would use the terminal with proper tab completion.

I cant type "cd dow" and then mash tab to get to Downloads or whatever in linux, I ahve to type Dow which is a whole new ball game in terms of effort

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I cant type "cd dow" and then mash tab to get to Downloads or whatever in linux, I ahve to type Dow which is a whole new ball game in terms of effort

? I can type "cd dow" and then hit tab until it highlights downloads or Downloads.

Then again, I use zsh instead of bash so :shrug:

edit* It's possible in bash as well:
https://superuser.com/questions/90196/case-insensitive-tab-completion-in-bash

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat i need to get me some of that then

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Nah. Yocto is a mess with a bunch of very questionable layers.

yeah whoever maintains this "user-layer" is a dumbass that keeps making stupid typos

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

sick. thanks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

? I can type "cd dow" and then hit tab until it highlights downloads or Downloads.

Then again, I use zsh instead of bash so :shrug:

edit* It's possible in bash as well:
https://superuser.com/questions/90196/case-insensitive-tab-completion-in-bash

set show-all-if-ambiguous on

quote:

This makes it unnecessary to press Tab twice when there is more than one match.

:aaaaa:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Spins up WSL2
Goes to sleep
Switches to real Linux

I didn't read any of the posts since this so apologies if somebody already mentioned it, but the trick to using WSL2 is to not do anything on the NTFS filesystems if you can at all avoid it.

Do your compiling in the virtualized file system, not on a mounted windows drive. It makes a HUGE difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

everything sucks and might as well treat all paths as arbitrary byte strings (oh except \0 is special. but no-one needs it. im sure this assumption holds universally)

windows unicode story is lot better than linuses, least it nags at you at compile time instead of when your first non-`en_US.UTF-8' user happens to run the program and gets output garbage because you never set LC_CTYPE to LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG.

gently caress im mad about character encodings