Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I've been running Manjaro for a few months now and I'm loving it. Really weird when I go back to a machine that isn't using something like i3, it makes managing my applications so much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Find sucks, but it's ubiquitous and I can just pipe it to grep.

I can't be bothered to learn some hipster replacement written in Rust, because find is good enough and does everything I need. It's also already installed everywhere and uses the same terrible syntax that I've already learned.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
find sucks but at least it's pretty much available everywhere and most of the implementations are similar

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

“we should never improve or change our tools” said a bunch of unix users to other users

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
if they replace find, all that's going to change are the search terms I put into google when I have to use it for 5 minutes every 3 months

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If people want to replace find, then they can feel free to try. I won't stop them. If init is bad enough to force systemd on us, then who's to say that find would encounter a similar fate.

But you'll have to make sure its replacement is in ubuntu and redhat (and freebsd) and busybox in the default repositories (except for busybox where it's built in) or else I'm pretty sure people will just stick with find.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fd and ripgrep are both pretty nice, and one of the best parts is that they are not drop-in replacements. Instead, they often need less flags to do everyday stuff in my experience. Neither is revolutionary, but both are decent quality-of-life improvements over find / grep if you feel like learning a new (but similar) tool. It's cool that they are usually slightly faster than find / grep, too, but that's not really that important for most users.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
is ripgrep better than silversearcher? because I do like silversearcher a lot more than grep

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

been using rg for a couple years now and it's good, for what i use it for its effectively interchangeable with grep

id say the biggest functional difference for me is its gitignore-aware by default, so you aren't constantly waiting for it to finish scanning through your build artifacts

also the output appearance is better than stock grep

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also ive only installed rg via package manager so the language its in isn't really a factor

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you don't like find, but enjoy finding things on your systems, you can install a command called locate; it's m/p locate on some distros, versions. it's a lot like find, except it generates a db of your local files, and periodically it goes back through and re-indexes things. it's significantly more convenient to use to actually find files, although you do have to keep in mind that it's a static snapshot, if it's something you just added

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like ripgrep-all for searching within non plaintext files (it adds filters for various file types to ripgrep), although I have to limit it to one thread or it uses all my ram.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

one of the very first pieces of windows software i missed when moving to linux was voidtools everything

i eventually found fsearch, which is deliberately a clone of everything and it works v well, endorse it

it's only a gui tool, though. the author recommends fzf as a cli tool but i haven´t tried it yet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I use GNOME's built in desktop search op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

of course it's written in rust

what's the joke here? isn't this the kind of thing rust is supposed to be used for?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The joke is that rust exists for the purpose of rewriting perfectly good existing software in rust

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

The joke is that rust exists for the purpose of rewriting perfectly good existing software in rust

yeah, but the find cli sucks. he should do git next

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

This

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

The joke is that [find is considered] perfectly good software

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Progressive JPEG posted:

been using rg for a couple years now and it's good, for what i use it for its effectively interchangeable with grep

id say the biggest functional difference for me is its gitignore-aware by default, so you aren't constantly waiting for it to finish scanning through your build artifacts

also the output appearance is better than stock grep

I would simply find . -type f -iname "*.c" | xargs grep ”butts" op, its worked for 80 years and just rolls off the tongue

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

I would simply find . -type f -iname "*.c" | xargs grep ”butts" op, its worked for 80 years and just rolls off the tongue

if you didnt internalize the things on either side of this pipe years ago and still consider it 'scary' i dont want you grepping my code, let alone editing or making changes to it unsupervised. just ask me for the file and edit it in notepad++ or whatever, as you do, send me the file back and i'll take a look-see.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

if you didnt internalize the things on either side of this pipe years ago and still consider it 'scary' i dont want you grepping my code, let alone editing or making changes to it unsupervised. just ask me for the file and edit it in notepad++ or whatever, as you do, send me the file back and i'll take a look-see.

there's that hostile condescension that makes this community so welcoming!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

why wouldn’t you type: grep -RIs --include=\*.c “butts” .

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sapozhnik posted:

plasma has a pretty good desktop search ngl

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

there's that hostile condescension that makes this community so welcoming!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

If only we had some sort of system for managing changes to code so that people could edit the files locally on their own computer without the risk of accidentally screwing up the central repository

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

If only we had some sort of system for managing changes to code so that people could edit the files locally on their own computer without the risk of accidentally screwing up the central repository

Bad news, amigo - that's a command line tool with flags and arguments. Stone age poo poo. Nice version control, grandpas. This what y'all used to program ENIAC?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
We still use use CVS, its been working great, why would we change? :agesilaus:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

rcs?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Clearly, they mean Perforce.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

clearcase

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

Bad news, amigo - that's a command line tool with flags and arguments. Stone age poo poo. Nice version control, grandpas. This what y'all used to program ENIAC?

*shuffles punch cards* well actually,

wait gently caress

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
this thread will also enjoy this cat replacement by the same author of fd

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

qsvui posted:

i wish a lifetime of bad natured slapstick comedy on this man

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

qsvui posted:

This actually rules

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Antigravitas posted:

Clearly, they mean Perforce.

smdh at anyone who uses anything other than the version control system required by the Single UNIX Specification, sccs

simble
May 11, 2004

Baxate posted:

This actually rules

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

could ebpf be used for running a new implementation of khttpd?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why aren’t u homies using ack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Progressive JPEG posted:

could ebpf be used for running a new implementation of khttpd?

i hope not!!