Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

hm this is kind of a big deal

This week in KDE: non-blurry XWayland apps!

i think this means you can finally use pycharm and other IDEA-stuff in wayland and still have it scaled. I thought that was years away because of java

Linux catching up with windows 7 I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lets hope we never catch up to 8, 10 or 11

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Lets hope we never catch up to 8, 10 or 11

really baiting the monkey's paw here

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

Linux catching up with windows 7 I see

old apps are still regularly blurry on windows 11 wtf are you talking about lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m the serious linux user who has had two blocked toilets in his house for a year

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m the serious linux user who has had two blocked toilets in his house for a year

…and posts like a moron

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you know the British aren’t known for good plumbing or computing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't checked but all these Linux auto-scaling things for 2xDPI always seem to use linear filtering instead of nearest neighbor

Do these people save all their screenshots as JPEGs too?

It talks a lot about things being "blurry". Use nearest-neighbor for integer scaling scenarios, then you have 2x2 pixels that look identical to how they'd look on a standard-DPI screen why is this so loving difficult to understand

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I haven't checked but all these Linux auto-scaling things for 2xDPI always seem to use linear filtering instead of nearest neighbor

Do these people save all their screenshots as JPEGs too?

It talks a lot about things being "blurry". Use nearest-neighbor for integer scaling scenarios, then you have 2x2 pixels that look identical to how they'd look on a standard-DPI screen why is this so loving difficult to understand

while preferable it absolutely does not look identical unless you have a real bad hidpi screen. a good hidpi screen ironically makes the large pixels extremely clear and obvious.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Can someone tell me why my linux desktop, exact same hardware, has a zippier mouse cursor when booted to windows? Ubuntu, what the ever loving gently caress. It's noticeably less input lag on the god damned mouse cursor.

Is there a gnome extension I can install or something to fix this?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
is it actually “input lag” you’re hitting or is it the different acceleration curve

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah of all the problems linux has, i've never seen that one. mouse accel (like echi said) or speed? or maybe wrong resolution + scaling lag?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

there's also a weird thing that can happen to libinput where it enables something called "hysteresis" mode that can not be disabled again (without rebooting), and it makes the cursor feel slow/laggy because every movement is calculated as a function of its previous position or something like that

it happens on one of my laptops sometimes and i just don't use the mouse enough to bother to fix it, but somewhere on the freedesktop gitlab there's a patch where somebody just removed the whole "feature" (i'm sure it's a legit feature for some use-case but i've no idea what that would be)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's for touchpads that sends in small position changes all the time (e.g. noise) regardless if there's any movement or not, it's so you'll have to go over a certain threshold before it's counted as actual movement

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh that's what that was. I thought gnome shell had fragmented its heap to poo poo after the running gnome-shell process had reached the positively Methuselah-like age of four days. Older mutter was absolutely awful for lagging out like that although I think it's being rearchitected lately.

Yeah I had something where the mouse was stuttering along at 10 fps or something like that. good to know ty.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Systemd Creator Lands At Microsoft

i ... have no words

oh well maybe this'll mean we'll get proper bitlocker integration and azure ad support in systemd :p would make things easier for business users at least

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tankakern posted:

oh well maybe this'll mean we'll get proper bitlocker integration and azure ad support in systemd :p would make things easier for business users at least

On Fedora I can open and use my old Bitlocker NTFS drives without problems, is there any issue that you are aware of?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

we can't use bitlocker natively yet, making dual boot hackish

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tankakern posted:

i ... have no words

[img-billgatesborg]
embrace extEND EXTINGUISH

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Tankakern posted:

i ... have no words

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish"... watch your back guy :ohdear:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tankakern posted:

we can't use bitlocker natively yet, making dual boot hackish

What does "natively" mean in this case? Can't enable Bitlocker on a Linux boot partition (only mount Bitlocker drives after boot), something like that?

e: I don't dual boot anymore but I would just use Bitlocker for the Windows partition and LUKS for the Linux one. Don't set them to auto-mount and you get an extra layer of security against accidentally messing up the other installation. Shared data can go in an auto-mount Bitlocker drive since both can open it (though if you really want LUKS for some reason, I guess you could mount it in WSL in order to see it via Windows Explorer, why though).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 7, 2022

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

tpm unlock of bitlocker booting linux, dual boot with windows with bitlocker without reboot uefi hacks

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Tankakern posted:

tpm unlock of bitlocker booting linux, dual boot with windows with bitlocker without reboot uefi hacks

that's probably never going to work, simply due to the way tpm sealing works.

massively oversimplified: a measured boot is part of the process of unsealing the tpm, and by design a tpm sealed with one set of measurements cannot be unsealed by a boot with a different set of measurements.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when microsoft hired guido van rossum he was handed a couple of engineers and told to work on whatever (which is how we're finally getting some minimal effort on performance optimizing python), so this might not be a bad thing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

i ... have no words

It makes complete sense, considering System500 and its friends are very similar to the registry hive, service handling and logging in Windows.

Proper bitlocker integration won't happen before they stop supporting sending sensitive information over I²C et al.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that's probably never going to work, simply due to the way tpm sealing works.

massively oversimplified: a measured boot is part of the process of unsealing the tpm, and by design a tpm sealed with one set of measurements cannot be unsealed by a boot with a different set of measurements.

linux should add support for adding its own measurements, replacing windows' bootloader but still working with bitlocker, and that way have proper support for dual boot with tpm

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It makes complete sense, considering System500 and its friends are very similar to the registry hive, service handling and logging in Windows.

Proper bitlocker integration won't happen before they stop supporting sending sensitive information over I²C et al.

idiot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i know you can use ntldr or whatever its called now to load a vhdx file, maybe it doesn't have to be windows?

e: obviously i have not looked this up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Tankakern posted:

linux should add support for adding its own measurements, replacing windows' bootloader but still working with bitlocker, and that way have proper support for dual boot with tpm

linux *has* support for measured boot. the issue is that the way measured boot and tpm is designed, without a vulnerability, linux will never be able to directly unseal a tpm sealed by windows.

this isn't even just a windows/linux thing. every change to your bootloader or kernel means a different value is written to the write-one pcr registers on the tpm at boot time. if those pcr registers have the wrong value, the tpm will refuse to unseal. bitlocker takes full advantage of the tpm, and the tpm, by design, ensures specific known-good (as in known to the tpm itself as informed by when the tpm was sealed) software stack is required.

you literally cannot make linux look like windows to the tpm without executing all the windows boot process code prior to starting the linux boot process.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pot/kettle, yo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
*measures a boot*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The big stumbling block for measured boot on Linux is the initrd. This has to be built locally the way things are set up right now, so it can't be signed by the OS vendor.

When a secret is sealed you can choose what TPM registers need to match to unseal it. PCR7 I think tracks the secure boot keystore state and I think that's enough to securely seal a LUKS key with. Firmware checks the signature on Shim, Shim checks a user-generated key's signature on GRUB and I guess GRUB can validate an OS vendor signature on the kernel and a universal initrd, and then you have a validated boot path that you know hasn't been backdoored.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yep

my point was that you could get it to work properly if linux took it all the way to unlocking bitlocker for windows to boot from, doing the measuring and tpm unlocking and stuff. if you in linux could set up the bitlocker part with setting up the tpm and bitlocker metadata, that would be a solution that also could support proper tpm boot on linux at the same time

but you're right, the initrd stuff is the most important thing to fix first

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you'd have to create some windows extension to make it work, because if windows is left on its own devices to measure the boot it'll of course screw things up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It shouldn't matter anyway because I assume you can get the bitlocker recovery key from windows and then use that to set up an automount on linux, TPM be damned

TPM LUKS would be nice under Linux although I don't know how much I'd trust it. You know where you stand with a good old fashioned passphrase. Better to do what macOS does and transparently add admin user accounts' passwords to the FDE keyring.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i want dual boot and proper tpm support drat it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

oh well i hope poettering does well at ms, if anyone could make it happen it would be him

(or mjg59 i guess)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poettering has some weird ideas about ... basically everything. his designs are always just a bit screwy and other people have to keep some of his weirder design decisions in check. i guess it's like george lucas syndrome or something.

really wish we could use systemd-boot instead of grub though. or idk a kexec based bootstrap kernel+initrd file instead of grub.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you have to use systemd-boot if you dual boot with bitlocker, it's the only one that has built-in support for booting bitlocker-windows through bootnext-variable setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

phoronix comments is like golden-era slashdot for subtlety, lot of gnashing of teeth about poettering going to the great devil.

i genuinely suspect that microsoft of 2022 is as good, if not better, a place to do good linux software than ibm is. might also change already 2023 for all i know, but we'll see what happens.