Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Truga posted:

isn't fedora only supported for like 6 months?

Nah, they put a new major release every 6 months but still support previous ones for ~13 months after they release. It's basically current release +2 in the past that are supported.

Of course if you need a LTS release you can go with Red Hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah 18 months isn't terrible for a desktop, almost rolling release distro

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Of course if you need a LTS release you can go with Red Hat.

Rude.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cum jabbar posted:

just use a mouse ffs
a mouse fast file system, meaning a gray one that's small?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

omg plasma 5.26 finally out!!

maybe this is the year of wayland on the desktop

https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.26.0

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I like Plasma. It's nice.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my fourth favorite state of matter

burning swine
May 26, 2004

plasma is good

I wonder if they unfucked anything of consequence

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

running wayland enabled™

and now with plasma 5.26 you get this magic display configuration panel:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

"Apply scaling themselves" makes PyCharm and friends work wonderfully also in hidpi settings

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it lets XWayland use native X scaling.

Of course full Wayland support in every application/toolkit would be best, but this is a close second.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

since the programming thread is boring i'm posting this here
Using the Free Pascal IDE for a week

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally, its the year of wayland on the linux desktop

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

running wayland enabled™

and now with plasma 5.26 you get this magic display configuration panel:

so is Wayland actually endorsed by kde now? last i looked support was still iffy

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

KDE has been working for quite a while to get all their ducks in a row, and they are not quite there yet.

Getting there, though. Even my weirdo monitor layout works out, and I haven't lost a session to a crash in a year.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011
I've only used it single monitor with Intel or AMD graphics but it's been rock solid.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i'd say wayland's there if you can handle a bit of teeth gritting while using it. no video accel in chromium (but works in firefox) that will get fixed sooner or later, weird scaling issues can happen when mixing x11 and wayland scaling (that often can be fixed by throwing in some qt environment variables), copy/paste between x and wayland can stop working and so on.

smooth as hell though

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I had a hell of a time using 2 pretty generic dell 1080p monitors with one rotated via that dialog on some intel gfx chipset.

I ended up just disabling the rotated monitor for a while, realizing I didn't really miss it, and just taking it off my desk. thanks kde

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I still get lots of issues with KDE with my multi monitor set-up, especially if I unplug one or plug it in while the laptop is closed. Apparently KDE needs to re-write a large part of their monitor handling stack to fix it, but it's expected that this will land in 5.27 (in ~4 months), and will fix most of the remaining issues with KDE and multiple monitors.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ooh there's an rfc posted on linux-btrfs for fixing the main raid56 issue

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/20221026131940.GR5824@suse.cz/T/#m24f99a4f085a7ca74747cd18337c1230b6698fff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

NVIDIA Proposing New Linux API For Dynamic Mux Switching With Modern Dual-GPU Laptops

about time

Soricidus
Oct 20, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the api is haunted

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

is it just me or do some of the sentences in that article read like they were written by an ai

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's just the Phoronix writing style. It's a bit weird.

However, Michael Larabel trawls through so many mailing lists and feeds and release pages that the site is genuinely useful as a digest of some of the stuff going on in the ecosystem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah if my job was trawling linux lists i'd probably expend even less effort lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

he does post some extremely niche stuff with visibly minimal effort as well. but the effort stuff is great, honestly it has been excellent for understanding stuff like the bringup of intels efficiency cores. followed the whole process with meticulous tests, including being the primary source for bisecting some performance regressions in the kernel.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

omg finally proper tearing/no vsync support for wayland

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/927#note_560571

last piece missing for pro :pcgaming: on wayland, lowest latency possible

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Tankakern posted:

lmao, linux has come full circle

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

2012: "tearing is bad, let's get rid of it!"
2022: "tearing is good, bring it back!"

with mailbox mode you can run unthrottled with no tearing and with 120+hz displays the max time between submitting a frame and having it displayed is only 8ms. i can't believe that anyone is sensitive enough to notice that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they aren't unless they're on a low refresh rate screen
the combination of a high and variable refresh rate makes vsync a complete non-issue

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fedora 37 is finally out today. upgrade took less than 5 minutes and everything works properly. very boring

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Game is Never Over
ooh I gotta upgrade my fedora

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The_Franz posted:

fedora 37 is finally out today. upgrade took less than 5 minutes and everything works properly. very boring

The default icon size for Nautilus was one tick too high for me and I had to press Ctrl - once.

Upgrade was a disaster gonna delete and install windows

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone using kde on fedora 37? Does wayland work better now (AMD)?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

The_Franz posted:

I had to reinstall NVIDIA drivers on one machine and force mpv to use x11 instead of wayland, but besides that everything was butter.

nudgenudgetilt
Mar 18, 2003

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I had to reinstall NVIDIA drivers on one machine and force mpv to use x11 instead of wayland, but besides that everything was butter.

just curious, why the need to force mpv to use x11?

mpv was keeping me on x11 under gnome for a long time due to idle inhibit issues (screen would sleep while i was watching a video). ended up being able to fix that via an mpv script.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rooney McNibnug posted:

mpv developers are weird religious zealots who absolutely hate gnome for some reason and refuse any patches to fix the issues under wayland there. adding support for dbus idle inhibit and libdecor would take an afternoon, but people have done so before and they absolutely will not pull it in, instead choosing to write long rants printed to the console about how gnome is broken

nudgenudgetilt
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

mpv developers are weird religious zealots who absolutely hate gnome for some reason and refuse any patches to fix the issues under wayland there. adding support for dbus idle inhibit and libdecor would take an afternoon, but people have done so before and they absolutely will not pull it in, instead choosing to write long rants printed to the console about how gnome is broken

https://gist.github.com/crazygolem/a7d3a2d3c0cee5d072c0cbbbdee69286

this pretty much solves the problem. i've been using it with mpv under gnome since at least june based on file timestamps

just drop it in ~/.config/mpv/scripts/

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I had to do the Nvidia driver shuffle too, but other than that it went without a hitch. For my first ever in-place Linux upgrade I'm pretty impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

nudgenudgetilt posted:

https://gist.github.com/crazygolem/a7d3a2d3c0cee5d072c0cbbbdee69286

this pretty much solves the problem. i've been using it with mpv under gnome since at least june based on file timestamps

just drop it in ~/.config/mpv/scripts/

Oh, this is great!

Well, something was preventing mpv from playing anything under wayland and I was too lazy to figure it out at the moment, so I added

code:
hwdec=auto
gpu-context=x11
in the mpv.config and that seemed to fix things.

I'll give this script a try soon, thanks.

Everything else is working pretty great under wayland.