Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

so if os x is bad and linux is better, then why is using any linux 100x more painful?

bad / more painful for who and why?

x86 linux is primarily used for three things:
  1. servers
  2. those little arcade machines in bars
  3. writing software for #1 and #2

average home users aren't on the map for most of the people working on linux stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

so if os x is bad and linux is better, then why is using any linux 100x more painful? often even the most basic things like hardware accelerated video, multimonitor, wireless and sound don't work properly on linux.

Nobody funds driver development for Linux systems. Windows is the only thing HW vendors write drivers for. Apple controls the hardware and does their own driver development.

Please let me know how wireless and sound have failed on you recently. We do have an active networking team, and a few guys working on ALSA part-time (it's not all that much work, usually). Specifics of your networking and sound cards are extremely helpful.

Multimonitor isn't really a big deal anymore since NVIDIA added support for XRandR, but let me know if there's anything hosed up. Sometimes there are some weird quirky features in DEs or apps that just weren't designed with multimonitor in mind.

"HW accelerated video" is a thing with multiple meanings. You could be doing the entire H.264 decode on the HW, in which case you'd be having 1. drivers containing a 2. patent-encumbered codec, which is a double whammy. The more realistic option is doing colorspace conversion and YUV blending on HW. That's supported in gstreamer, but we can't use HW planes for doing pure HW blending effectively because "lol X11". There's no way to expose "hey, this is a YUV plane" to apps. Don't come to me with "but Xv!!!" It's poo poo and doesn't work. That's a Wayland-only feature. Until then, some apps can use libvdpau to do HW blending, but that's NVIDIA-specific.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bad / more painful for who and why?

x86 linux is primarily used for three things:
  • servers
  • those little arcade machines in bars
  • writing software for #1 and #2

worrying about how the average home user does with random hardware isn't on that list

I'm now allowed to say that Pixar runs on RHEL now. They've been a RHEL workstation customer for a long time.

http://vimeo.com/90687696

There's their animation software running on RHEL. This is what all artists use internally.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

and are we really defending ancient package managers and fuckin X11? this is truly a gem of a thread.

ancient package managers >>>> no package manager

also modern package managers look pretty much like SysV packaging from the early 90s. as it turns out there just aren't that many ways to skin a cat.

re: X11 -- all my software is X11, and I want my software to work. I give less than zero fucks about how you feel about X11 technically. it could be the ugliest god drat thing ever written and it wouldn't matter a bit. not having good X11 support makes your unix a lovely unix

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 27, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm now allowed to say that Pixar runs on RHEL now. They've been a RHEL workstation customer for a long time.

http://vimeo.com/90687696

There's their animation software running on RHEL. This is what all artists use internally.

i didn't know, but this doesn't surprise me.

nvidia spends money on linux because a lot of legacy unix workstation stuff from the 00s gets moved to linux.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wayland doesn't prevent that. Xwayland is a full backwards compatibility mode for legacy X11 apps.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wayland doesn't prevent that. Xwayland is a full backwards compatibility mode for legacy X11 apps.

yeah I don't think this is actually gonna happen but the details are also not all that important.

X11 has been implemented in half a dozen ways on various platforms, but legacy poo poo needs to work genuinely well and integrate with my desktop. osx tanks that test bigtime.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't know, but this doesn't surprise me.

nvidia spends money on linux because a lot of legacy unix workstation stuff from the 00s gets moved to linux.

Right. Linux and NVIDIA have taken over the SGI / IRIX market from long ago. Pixar uses Maya, which started out IRIX and got ported to Linux. They also use (and secretly develop) CinePaint, that fork of GIMP from a long time ago. They also use GIMP sometimes as well, as well as other tools. I don't think there's anything else public that I'm allowed to talk about.

The other half of it is that they want to reuse a large part of the code for Renderman in artist workstations, and if their render farm runs on RHEL, why not just make their workstations run on RHEL as well?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i get mad about this poo poo because i was really excited about osx-as-unix-workstation back in the day. apple fed the hysteria, too. they bought ads like this one in sci/tech/trade magazines

back in 2002 running unix on a laptop was a shitshow. solaris x86 was half-abandoned and had no power management. linux was shithouse buggy. all four extant BSD forks had lousy hw support and no free 3d drivers

osx really looked great. and then i actually got my hands on it. oh christ. what a disaster.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

osx is excellent

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
p.s. i did try osx mountain lion with yos-approved homebrew.

it's still a shitshow but boy howdy is it faster than those old g4s. also spotlight actually works (thank god, because the finder is poo poo)

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
yeah man i was all psyched for os x and then i saw the janked up AAA and i was like whew no thanks i'm going back to trusty old linux

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

aqua loving owned, bring it back imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah I don't think this is actually gonna happen but the details are also not all that important.

X11 has been implemented in half a dozen ways on various platforms, but legacy poo poo needs to work genuinely well and integrate with my desktop. osx tanks that test bigtime.

its just xorg you moron

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

penus de milo posted:

yeah man i was all psyched for os x and then i saw the janked up AAA and i was like whew no thanks i'm going back to trusty old linux

the janky AAA is a more recent complaint from trying to support special snowflake scientists and engineers. the final solution at ($JOB - 1) was to give all the osx users vagrant VMs configured like servers because holy lol osx is a bitch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

its just xorg you moron

there is a lot more to "good X11 support" than "does it run X.org." have fun using X11 apps on your osx desktop. it is not a pleasant experience

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i can run xorg on windows, too, but i wouldn't recommend you rely on that as part of your software porting strategy for windows.

it ain't nice

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is a lot more to "good X11 support" than "does it run X.org." have fun using X11 apps on your osx desktop. it is not a pleasant experience

Honest question: I haven't used X11.app on OS X. What are your frustrations? I'll make sure that the apps that you need work perfectly on Xwayland.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Honest question: I haven't used X11.app on OS X. What are your frustrations? I'll make sure that the apps that you need work perfectly on Xwayland.

fd.o systray

notifications/alerts

iconizing

copy/paste

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
fd.o systray will be supported as well as it is under current X11 desktops (i.e. not at all)

notifications/alerts are DBus, have nothing to do with X11, and will continue to work.

I assume by "iconizing" you just mean minimizing, and yes that will continue to work. Why wouldn't it?

Copy/paste will work and be proxied across.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

fd.o systray will be supported as well as it is under current X11 desktops (i.e. not at all)

notifications/alerts are DBus, have nothing to do with X11, and will continue to work.

I assume by "iconizing" you just mean minimizing, and yes that will continue to work. Why wouldn't it?

Copy/paste will work and be proxied across.

iconizing and minimizing are related but different. don't ask me to explain, icccm is insane and i do not understand it.

notifications/alerts are also done through x11 through icccm stuff i don't understand (window hinting?). dbus is not the only way to do it

copy/paste is complicated as hell in x11 and yes the legacy modes still get used by real apps in the wild. e.g. primary/secondary selection, ring buffer

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Let me know if you find an app that uses the SECONDARY selection. I've been looking.

Iconization and minimization are technically different (think back to like NeXTSTEP or something with the icons in the bottom left) but they are treated as the exact same on most DEs.

The only way to do a notification in X11 that I know of is _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION, which is part of the EWMH, not the ICCCM, and simply means "make the taskbar button blink". Most DEs don't support that anymore because apps abused it way too much, but for the ones that do I see no reason why it wouldn't continue to work under Xwayland.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let me know if you find an app that uses the SECONDARY selection. I've been looking.
emacs

Suspicious Dish posted:

Iconization and minimization are technically different (think back to like NeXTSTEP or something with the icons in the bottom left) but they are treated as the exact same on most DEs.

coincidentally i learned about the difference the hard way while using a nextstep-lookalike, wmaker :smith:

(nextstep was actually really nice to use @ 1024x768. it was just a really bad unix. so, uh, a legion of clones for good unix turned up)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Emacs has not used the SECONDARY selection since like 1999.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Emacs has not used the SECONDARY selection since like 1999.

nope all that stuff is still there and working and i guarantee you some spergs will get mad

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wine on OSX has had persistent issues due to lovely X11 support. "Go write a coco driver for Wine" is kind of a dumb response because at the end of the day it won't actually make Wine look better on OSX since it'll still be Windows apps.

Suspicious Dish posted:

This will break Wine. You need systray support even if you only allow Wine to do it via a whitelist (literally what Unity does) because there are Windows apps that absolutely depend on their systray for core functionality.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get mad about this poo poo because i was really excited about osx-as-unix-workstation back in the day. apple fed the hysteria, too. they bought ads like this one in sci/tech/trade magazines

same, bought a mac for this ten years ago.

had the ipod not taken off and led apple into a consumer revival it might have continued down this path. as time went on the money was more with basic end users not professionals so it's understandable they'd concentrate on their disposable income instead of greybeards.

apple does the basic stuff really well and although mac os annoys me in almost every way i'd recommend it to my family members in a heartbleed.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the internet was invented on nextstep. osx has a noble and righteous lineage

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the prince of posix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gabensraum posted:

same, bought a mac for this ten years ago.

had the ipod not taken off and led apple into a consumer revival it might have continued down this path. as time went on the money was more with basic end users not professionals so it's understandable they'd concentrate on their disposable income instead of greybeards.

apple does the basic stuff really well and although mac os annoys me in almost every way i'd recommend it to my family members in a heartbleed.

i'm sure osx is fine for checking your non-exchange email or whatever.

it is decidedly not-fine as a unix workstation replacement.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it actually is

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's been a while but gvim used to do some weird poo poo with PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD that I never really got it. maybe it has something to do with me messing with setxkbmap at the time, I'll try to look at this again eventually to see if now I fully understand how X deals with copy/paste.

I just know I hate it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm sure osx is fine for checking your non-exchange email or whatever.

it is decidedly not-fine as a unix workstation replacement.

i dont think it is meant to be a unix workstation replacement

its a unix based computer that hides it a lot but if you live/work in a unix world its sure a lot easier to use the shell in vs. a CP/M derivative machine

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
os x is a pile of poo poo and its authentication and user poo poo is retarded as all loving hell

i tell this story again and again but a few years back i found out that os x was literally leaking auth tokens across users on the same machine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

i dont think it is meant to be a unix workstation replacement

it was, until it wasn't. apple doesn't really give a poo poo about business users.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was, until it wasn't. apple doesn't really give a poo poo about business users.

they really don't care about any segment of the non-consumer markets and our "designers" are finally realizing this after being poo poo on for the past 2-3 cycles

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
apple has tried to sell unix servers three times

all three times they were discontinued suddenly with no notice and no migration path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

funny computar