Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

celeron 300a posted:

Yes

But I have the luxury of not dealing with systemctl too much so maybe I'll do it in the future after people realize how much it sucks and start splitting it into independent modules with low coupling and clear separation of functions so that

.... hahahahahahah ok I'm done joking now

what's the joke? isn't that exactly how linux development works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

what's the joke? isn't that exactly how linux development works?

people think systemd is one giant binary

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
abloobloo monolithic

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

people think systemd is one giant binary

yeah, it's definitely more of a spectrum

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i've been migrating our debian vms to centos for new projects. yum is so much better than apt-get/apt-cache/apt-file/dpkg holy poo poo
also kickstart actually works as documented

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mods?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

my stepdads beer posted:

i've been migrating our debian vms to centos for new projects. yum is so much better than apt-get/apt-cache/apt-file/dpkg holy poo poo

what's it like living in opposites world

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
vms is the bomb

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

it really isnt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

also kickstart actually works as documented

qft

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yums weird convention of not hyphenating multi-word switches is really weird

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yums weird convention of not hyphenating multi-word switches is really weird

it is very weird. sometimes weird is forgivable.

nice av/post combo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sorry, forgot "ticking time" in there

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
yum is terrible

aptitude rules

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

yum is terrible

aptitude rules

Ubuntu user spotted

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

my stepdads beer posted:

Worthless, linux-illiterate, self proclaimed 'techie,'-wannabe NEET who just installed ubuntu spotted

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is very weird. sometimes weird is forgivable.

nice av/post combo

unforgivable in argument land imo

--double-start-single-split
reserved:
-v is verbose
-q is quiet
-- ends arguments

nice people have put all these into nice libraries and you're a bad person if you do anything else

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

Ubuntu user spotted

nah plain debian actually

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ahmeni posted:

unforgivable in argument land imo

--double-start-single-split
reserved:
-v is verbose
-q is quiet
-- ends arguments

nice people have put all these into nice libraries and you're a bad person if you do anything else

sometimes -v is version (gcc), sometimes it's something else entirely (grep). sometimes -- is used to separate two logically consistent groups of arguments (git checkout) sometimes commands use - flags to specify sub behaviors (tar) and sometimes they use words (git, aptitude). there's not really a consistent way to do things except that --help should give you help and usually so should -h (except sometimes it doesn't, like du or df). its almost like there's a collection of utilities that has been growing since the 80s and there's no consistent way to do things, just memorize how to use a given command since you've already had to do it fort everything else you use

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

sometimes -v is version (gcc), sometimes it's something else entirely (grep). sometimes -- is used to separate two logically consistent groups of arguments (git checkout) sometimes commands use - flags to specify sub behaviors (tar) and sometimes they use words (git, aptitude). there's not really a consistent way to do things except that --help should give you help and usually so should -h (except sometimes it doesn't, like du or df). its almost like there's a collection of utilities that has been growing since the 80s and there's no consistent way to do things, just memorize how to use a given command since you've already had to do it fort everything else you use

how does it feel to be apologetic about a bunch of programs that have had 35 years to get it right

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pacman > apt >> yum, dnf, and whatever other garbage RH has shat out since then

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

how does it feel to be apologetic about a bunch of programs that have had 35 years to get it right

problem is they've had 35 years to become concrete and immutable

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Phobeste posted:

sometimes commands use - flags to specify sub behaviors (tar)

tar doesn't though? it's just tar xzf dongs.tar.gz

I guess it also accepts -xzf to be kind to people who were expecting it to behave that way

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
:cumpolice::frogsiren::siren::cumpolice::frogsiren::siren: MICRO$HAFT HAVE DEVELOPED THEIR OWN LINUX DISTRO :siren::frogsiren::cumpolice::siren::frogsiren::cumpolice:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/microsoft-built-linux-everyone-else/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

The irony is, the same lack of organization and corporate fuckery (well, okay, Redhat basically is corporate fuckery that contributes to most of the Linux Kernel, but it's nowhere near the corporate fuckery of Microsoft and Apple) that allowed Microsoft to go about spreading blatantly untrue disinformation campaigns and attempt to sue whatever Linux Foundation or RHEL entity that they sued, also allows them to now build their own distro without being entirely shut down.

Not being a blaring hypocrite like microsoft, I see no problem with them doing this and don't feel like they need to be singled out legally. However, culturally? ROFL. Microsoft is a loving joke.

If only the following syntax worked to remove their existence from the world as a whole...

code:
emerge --deselect=y microsoft && emerge -ac

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
alright team. audacity crashes when i click anything inside it basically 50% of the time now. and it takes the whole x server with it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

audacity crashing is a standard feature available on all platforms; it crashing X at the same time is a Linux exclusive though

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

what's it like living in opposites world

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Ha ha, crazy kevin is so wacky, he always likes to cut up at the 9PM blue-ball agile huddle

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://sarah.thesharps.us/2015/10/05/closing-a-door/

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

just went from the nouveau drives to proprietary nvidia ones and holy poo poo the performance increase is insane. oddly though now my xfce4 won't change themes, gonna have to figure out why later

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

couldn't handle the brutul owns of oepn sources

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://lwn.net/Articles/659221/#Comments

oh good and there's already the inevitable shitrobot commenter even in lwn

beep boop human life and human dignity is exclusively measured in united states dollars

at least he's getting shouted the gently caress down by literally everybody else

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
on the other hand, the only instance i can turn up of Sarah Sharp objecting to LKML posting is this message:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137390362508794&w=2

which uh... isn't in any way threatening or vulgar at all?

Poettering gave far more convincing examples of objectionable behaviour, specifically that Linus said certain people should be "retroactively aborted" and wondered how certain people survived when they were "probably too stupid at birth to find a tit to suck on", which is definitely rather off-putting. i'm not going to fanboy linus torvalds but i mean let's at least pick on the worst poo poo if there's a case to be made here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sarah has been there and dealt with it, and talked to several offenders privately, because it's not something that needs to be public. When she wrote that first email about it publicly, it exploded. We cheered her on, but the general gist was "oh, shut up and just deal with the torrent of abuse you're getting". Thus why she didn't say anything publicly again.

I also want to remind people that this isn't just a "woman in computers" thing. I counted, and I know 20 colleagues, former and present, who have sworn off kernel development entirely because of the toxic attitude. All but one of them male, all of them from diverse cultural backgrounds.