Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Unity is pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi posted:

linux is pretty bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

blowfish posted:

imagine a user friendly preconfigured user interface with a pro mode neckbeard mode that lets you turn everything into a custom blend of poo poo (barf coloured window borders, console font, 25 layer menu trees)

has anyone ever tried this and how terrible did it turn out

yeah it's called GNOME 3

In increasing order of sperginess the configuration tools are

Gnome Settings -> Gnome Tweak Tool -> dconf-editor -> custom CSS files for your Gtk+ apps because everything is styled using CSS in Gtk3

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
one of my fav unity features is placing a window in the center of all 4 workspaces

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
linux is good for power users

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ELbX5CMomE&t=36s

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

dat console font

Linux could learn a thing or two

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phoenixan posted:

gnome and kde have better scaling support than regular Ubuntu with unity in my experience

no doubt, i was honestly more worried about the hardware having drivers. i'm not even sure if that's a major problem with laptops these days

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Highly depends on the laptop. Some won't even boot properly on Lunix because they feature dumb proprietary junk.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

dat console font

what's it like in 1997

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

dat console font

that's the font version of blinged out desktops

it makes for a nice screenshot but using it is horrible

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
From the grey forums

iRend posted:

A new laptop came in. Nice, a T450 ultrabook! Finally they're not going the cheapest option.

Cool, RHEL 7.2 is out, I'll give that a test drive. I'll make a bootable USB.

Hm, USB imagewriter is not working. I'll use the console. "dd RHEL_7.2.iso > SDB"

Why did my PC shut off. OH COOL SDB IS MY SYSTEM DRIVE FOR SOME UNFATHOMABLE REASON.

Lucky I had a recent backup on a Seagate external!

"g: is not formatted. Would you like to format it?"

SHOULDA BOUGHT A BUFFALO.

(MFT all 0's. Backup MFT trashed. Disktools saved my backup, after 4 days of restoration, with 6 files lost: including my email archive)

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Haquer posted:

From the grey forums

lol

this fucken guy

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

people run rhel as their desktop?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Captain Foo posted:

this fucken guy

mount -l too hard

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
*runs low-level commands to overwrite the contents of raw block devices without bothering to check which is which*

*blames anything other than own idiocy*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

that's the font version of blinged out desktops

it makes for a nice screenshot but using it is horrible

that's the sun equivalent of the BIOS

you only have to see the hideous firmware font when you boot the thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I've been using Command Tool under OpenWindows 3 lately, it's been interesting, it reminded me a lot of the Transcript app under Andrew

I also tried to get SunView working but was only sort of able to, maybe I'll give it another go soon, once I can more easily boot between OSes

eschaton it is good to see you come to your senses and use an actually-good unix

just imagine the world that could have been, if apple had followed through on solaris licensing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I always hated solaris as a user, but that was probably mostly just because our sparc workstations were so goddamn slow

well, that and the terrible userland unless you installed a bunch of gnu tools

basically good technology doesn't mean much if your users are begging you to switch to linux because it runs on better cheaper hardware and has nicer ux by default

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
what kind of idiot writing to usb doesn't just see what they have in /dev/sd* before and after they plug it in

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if you use dd to write to a drive you deserve all it gets, i learned it when i destroyed a brand new hard drive

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

if you use dd to write to a drive you deserve all it gets, i learned it when i destroyed a brand new hard drive

cool i love blaming the user

the fact that people still use dd in 2016 because nothing else works is kinda the problem here, though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
writing a disk image is an intrinsically dangerous operation and users are trained to ignore ANY warning, no matter how big, red, intrusive, etc

"blame the user" is the only option here

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
aren't you also supposed to use the if= and of= flags with dd? what a dumb dumb.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
there are better tools, like the https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/. this tool even prevents the user from installing a wrong desktop linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

if a mentally competent adult picks up a gun, loads it, disengages the safety, points it at their own foot, and pulls the trigger, who else would you suggest blaming for the outcome?

it is reasonable to assume that people trying to install red hat enterprise linux probably have a basic level of Linux competency and can be expected to know that dd is dangerous.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
they already installed a linux so you should assume mental incompetence

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

the fact that people still use dd in 2016 because nothing else works is kinda the problem here, though

in addition to the aforementioned LiveUSB Creator, GNOME Disks also works

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
there's something about the design flaw in root commands here which is a totally valid criticism on the current state of unix but

Haquer posted:

mount -l too hard

this

dd is dangerous and not something that he should have muscle memory to type all the time?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

in addition to the aforementioned LiveUSB Creator, GNOME Disks also works

this is what i use

and if i want features to protect against my own stupidity i'll ask for them tyvm. this mentality is the reason why reading or deleting files on an NTFS flash drive that has been used by other people is such a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
proposed solution: captchas but for idiots. every time you try to run a shell command as root, you have to convince the computer you're not an idiot before it will proceed

proposed implementation: it just blocks all commands, because there's no way to prove you're not an idiot in the face of the evidence that you're using linux

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Suspicious Dish posted:

linux is good for power users

pram
Jun 10, 2001
whatever happened to that message that talks about responsibility and receiving a lecture from yr local sys admin when you do sudo

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
that only happens when you just enter root as opposed to doing sudo for one line

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

that only happens when you just enter root as opposed to doing sudo for one line

that isn't true

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pram posted:

whatever happened to that message that talks about responsibility and receiving a lecture from yr local sys admin when you do sudo

you get it the first time you run sudo on a machine

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hello there, i am here for my sys admin lecture as directed by the sudo warning

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply and swivels his ancient chair around*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

hello there, i am here for my sys admin lecture as directed by the sudo warning

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply swivels his ancient chair around*

chuckled at dis