Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boner Slam posted:

Is there a good desktop environment for linux yet? Last time i checked they all looked like crap.
try enlightenment op

serioustalk: fvwm2 is really good. you'd hate it though because you care more about how things look than how they function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boner Slam posted:

I clicked on the link with Plasma 5 on the last page. Sadly the fonts and the font rendering is laughably lovely, the window buttons and everything else have this really unsettling amateurish look that makes me nauseous.

lovely font rendering is in the eye of the beholder.

you can change the settings to more closely resemble osx or windows, i just don't care. the defaults are fine

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Soricidus posted:

try enlightenment op

serioustalk: fvwm2 is really good. you'd hate it though because you care more about how things look than how they function.

lol

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

XFCE is the best windowing system.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i can't believe fvwm is actively developed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol cvs

http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/dev_cvs.php

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

try enlightenment op

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its pretty :3: that you could have configured your wm exactly how you wanted it in the mid 90s(?) and still be using the same config today

the emacs of wms

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
windowmaker.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Boner Slam posted:

Is there a good desktop environment for linux yet? Last time i checked they all looked like crap.

I clicked on the link with Plasma 5 on the last page. Sadly the fonts and the font rendering is laughably lovely, the window buttons and everything else have this really unsettling amateurish look that makes me nauseous.

What else is there?
I'd like to use the Suse system, but everything looks like crap.

What are the window managers which look most like a professional actually worked on them currently?

yes it's called macrosoft osx

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

windowmaker.

widowmaker.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice obvious joke rear end in a top hat

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

windowmaker.

agreed

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Glass posted:

This was like in 2005, when it was still a Thing To Do

gross

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

raruler posted:

if you have to suffer a linux, pleas use xfce

goddamn those icons though

a beautiful desktop environment for beautiful people

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

raruler posted:

if you have to suffer a linux, pleas use xfce

goddamn those icons though

just use tango iconset obv

i use thunar (xfce's filemanager) in gnome3 because nautilus specifically continues to be used as a personal playground for babies who arent interested in filemanagers being useful tools

hmmz maybe ill give xfce a looksie if only because systray icons (eg google-musicmanager, spideroak, steam) are still designed to be very annoying in gnome3

e: oh man i never realized how much i missed having a simple weather applet

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 27, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I am in France getting drunk and having great food because of Linux. Please, go ahead and argue more about desktop environments.

Also, Notorious BSD, I don't think I told you yet because you don't read the Security Fuckup Megathread, but I took your advice on being "too good for the desktop team". I'm leaving Red Hat at the end of the month. Also, Lennart is on a secret new project at Red Hat where he has free reign of everything. I don't know what it is.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
p.s. Jon McCann is out in the middle of the wilderness and last I heard he was being chased by a bear, and then his Facebook page stopped updating and hasn't been updated for a week. Make of that what you will.

Also, yes, systray icons suck. I'm sorry.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, Lennart is on a secret new project at Red Hat where he has free reign of everything. I don't know what it is.
i'm going to assume he's reinventing the kernel wheel this time

lennux is going to have a microkernel architecture that uses dbus for all ipc

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Can you poop on the desk Ulrich Drepper used to sit at on your way out? Asking for a friend.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rahu posted:

Can you poop on the desk Ulrich Drepper used to sit at on your way out? Asking for a friend.

He wasn't in the Westford office.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Soricidus posted:

try enlightenment op

you're not even advocating the use of the real spergatroid WMs

http://xmonad.org

http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

raruler posted:

you're not even advocating the use of the real spergatroid WMs
that's because i was seriousposting. i genuinely, unironically do advocate the use of fvwm ityool 2014.

then again i also mourn the death of cde so probably you should ignore all my opinions unless you, too, are old and bitter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

then again i also mourn the death of cde so probably you should ignore all my opinions unless you, too, are old and bitter

the core problem with cde is that it was dead long before it was dead

a bunch of vendors got together to port a 1980s hp codebase to each of their lovely unixes, committed once to cvs, and called it done. nobody ever touched it again

i imagine solaris 11 in 2014 still ships with 32 bit cde binaries from circa 1996, the last time someone at Sun successfully compiled it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
https://github.com/idunham/cdesktop/blob/master/cde/historical/OPENBUGS

these were the open bugs when the last version of cde was released. pages and pages of them.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these were the open bugs when the last version of cde was released. pages and pages of them.
that's how far ahead of its time it was. it took years for open source imitations to catch up with that number of bugs that will never be fixed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Suspicious Dish congratulations on your new job :)

Are you planning to keep working on mutter in newjob?

Also is there a video of your GUADEC talk anywhere (or any of the other GUADEC talks really)?

thx

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i was running xfec on fedora for work, but a few days ago i noticed cinnamon is in the repository and it's a pretty good
that my desktop linux story

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Suspicious Dish congratulations on your new job :)

Are you planning to keep working on mutter in newjob?

Also is there a video of your GUADEC talk anywhere (or any of the other GUADEC talks really)?

thx

Thanks! I'm really excited here and I can't wait to show you guys what I'm going to be working on. It's a stealth mode startup but it's well funded and had a solid business strategy. They're already making money, in fact. The product is even on store shelves right now.

I'm going to be maintaining mutter because the company has a fork of it for their own OS. Whether I'm going to be doing upstream work first, I'm not sure yet.

GUADEC videos might be going up at some point, but the audio is probably bad. The guys that did the videos last year couldn't get a visa so we just had camcorders and the on cam mic.

lwn.net covered my talk though, so you can see coverage of it there.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thanks! I'm really excited here and I can't wait to show you guys what I'm going to be working on. It's a stealth mode startup but it's well funded and had a solid business strategy. They're already making money, in fact. The product is even on store shelves right now.

I'm going to be maintaining mutter because the company has a fork of it for their own OS. Whether I'm going to be doing upstream work first, I'm not sure yet.

GUADEC videos might be going up at some point, but the audio is probably bad. The guys that did the videos last year couldn't get a visa so we just had camcorders and the on cam mic.

lwn.net covered my talk though, so you can see coverage of it there.

yo u gonna keep doing xplain cause that poo poo is gold

also get monty to do more videos

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

yo u gonna keep doing xplain cause that poo poo is gold

also get monty to do more videos

Yes. I have two half written articles in the pipeline, even. One of them is going to be a set of demos I wanted to use in my talk but didn't have enough time to prepare. It's a fun exploration of low level graphics.

Also I have no control over Monty. He's at Mozilla now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://funny.computer/linux/

now in 1080p

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no click zone

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

quote:

CDExc12791 Buttons are too close together and look too much alik
CDExc12837 Would like an RPN option to dtcal
CDExc13008 Space for 40, but display only accepts 36 chars even if Acc=

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

taht's some cool creepy anime poo poo there suspicious dish

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it makes for a p sweet linux wallpaper

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
suspicious dish I enjoy reading your javascript code, it's good poo poo (I don't really know any more references for good javascript code)

also thanks for making me an X window system nerd I guess

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is mir dead yet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id like it if fedora had apt, tho id settle for something that isnt yum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and lts releases

see more like this, where theres a release for adults every so often:

not this where its entirely ocd childe tier:

rhel is close but the releases for adults should still have 3rd party support for occasional non-ancient pkgs via a ppa-style system