Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is pretty telling how little progress linux shells and terminals have made over the past 20 years considering they remain a main draw of the platform

otoh the desktop environment have pretty much actively devolved over the last 10 so they are still effectively keeping pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

bash scripts rule everything around me.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

b0red posted:

bash scripts rule everything around me.

god drat it should obviously be bash rules everything around me you idiot

how could you gently caress that up?????

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
B.S.R.E.A.M.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
$DOLLA_BILLS

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

god drat it should obviously be bash rules everything around me you idiot

how could you gently caress that up?????

gently caress

but really. i've been writing a bunch of bash scripts to help automate our image builds. hasn't been v fun

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

b0red posted:

i've been writing a bunch of bash scripts

b0red posted:

hasn't been v fun

not sure what to tell you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a guy who has been writing bash scripts for work for 10+ years (among many other languages) gently caress bash. Yeah it's ok, but it's a gigantic mess of regex, and lovely string handling.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use bash to write one-liners to solve trivial problems or invoke things that would take ages to do manually.

For actual scripting use an actual scripting language. Python works pretty well for me these days.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

a gigantic mess of regex, and lovely string handling.

The Unix Philosophy™

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is pretty telling how little progress linux shells and terminals have made over the past 20 years considering they remain a main draw of the platform

the Macintosh Programmer’s Workshop was more advanced 29 years ago than UNIX terminal emulators are today

you work in a real and complete text editor, you execute the command on the current line by typing command-return or enter, its output is inserted in the document starting with the line immediately after the command, and you can also execute arbitrary selections as commands not just complete lines

there are also commands that can manipulate the development environment itself to add & remove menu items, bind keystrokes, manipulate text selections, and so on

since the editor and the command line were one, you could do things like have a command line to generate and format a data set in a C comment, and then use that immediately to actually put the generated data in the file after the comment

the only more advanced command line environment I’ve ever seen was Symbolics Genera, where everything was a “presentation” of some underlying live object with which you could directly interact

pram
Jun 10, 2001
an elegant tool for a more civilized age

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Truga posted:

Use bash to write one-liners to solve trivial problems or invoke things that would take ages to do manually.

For actual scripting use an actual scripting language. Python works pretty well for me these days.

I've been doing a nice mix of python and bash but gently caress bash

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

I've been doing a nice mix of python and bash but gently caress bash

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

you work in a real and complete text editor, you execute the command on the current line by typing command-return or enter, its output is inserted in the document starting with the line immediately after the command, and you can also execute arbitrary selections as commands not just complete lines

there are also commands that can manipulate the development environment itself to add & remove menu items, bind keystrokes, manipulate text selections, and so on

since the editor and the command line were one, you could do things like have a command line to generate and format a data set in a C comment, and then use that immediately to actually put the generated data in the file after the comment

oh hey you just described emacs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BobHoward posted:

that's kind of a feature tho, nipple mice are piss garbage for idiots

no, trackpads are piss garbage for idiots

there is no single good trackpad in the history of technology
they are all complete dumpster fires except for the crapple one which is merely garbage

nipple mice are the best mouse type for laptops short of bringing an actual mouse

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i prefer to use a joystick as a pointer or a duck shooting gun sometimes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i have a thinkpad x1 carbon and i had to completely disable the touchpad, its terrible

luckily the clit mouse is just as good as my old x61

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
apple trackpad supremacy

even on linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Celexi posted:

i prefer to use a joystick as a pointer or a duck shooting gun sometimes

I would genuinely choose either of those over a nipple mouse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

terminals and shells have rolled backwards. xterm is less good than a vt520. bash is less good than ksh93.

when it came time to modernize, and re-do 1970s tty infrastructure for window systems, people only implemented what users asked for. nobody really needed the crazy features in a vt520 or ksh93. licensing and ease of implementation turned out to be a lot more important than the features dreamed up by commercial entities of the 1980s.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

terminals and shells have rolled backwards. xterm is less good than a vt520. bash is less good than ksh93.

when it came time to modernize, and re-do 1970s tty infrastructure for window systems, people only implemented what users asked for. nobody really needed the crazy features in a vt520 or ksh93. licensing and ease of implementation turned out to be a lot more important than the features dreamed up by commercial entities of the 1980s.

So what are some of the cool features we are missing out on these days? genuinely curious

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 15, 2016

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Wasn't there a VT420 terminal program for X11 a while back? I remember using it for our VAX systems.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

So what are some of the cool features we are missing out on these days? genuinely curious

don't get too excited. on the shell side it's not that cool. ksh93 had an actual debugger that could print stack traces and stuff. nicer editor than bash's readline. it had lexical scoping. (although, bash might have added that at some point.)

in terminals, holy poo poo, what couldn't the final generation do. line drawing. vector graphics. bitmap graphics. fonts. local storage. tons of cool poo poo.

none of that is very important if you have a local workstation with a window system, though -- why build graphics into xterm when you can just run a second application? why have local storage built into the tty subsystem when your user already owns a large fraction of the remote disk?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

oh hey you just described emacs

yeah the emacs will do everything mpw ever did and then some

(and you can run it in a system with preemptive multitasking and memory protection. whoa.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

please note that emacs does not support multitasking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

please note that emacs does not support multitasking

it supports multitasking exactly as well as macos did. which is to say, very badly.

nobody uses that poo poo. instead you create subprocesses in the underlying OS, and let a modern unix handle all the lovely stuff for you.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't get too excited. on the shell side it's not that cool. ksh93 had an actual debugger that could print stack traces and stuff. nicer editor than bash's readline. it had lexical scoping. (although, bash might have added that at some point.)

they had a whole set of tooling around building houses out of their own baked poo poo

cool

we have actual scripting languages in the modern era btw. they have debuggers too

quote:

in terminals, holy poo poo, what couldn't the final generation do. line drawing. vector graphics. bitmap graphics. fonts. local storage. tons of cool poo poo.

none of that is very important if you have a local workstation with a window system, though -- why build graphics into xterm when you can just run a second application? why have local storage built into the tty subsystem when your user already owns a large fraction of the remote disk?

ok so what's your point

we used to do it crappily now we do it better?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
re: terminal chat

is it possible for a server to configure an xterm client to use 'raw'-mode? so that the client xterm sends characters as their typed, or, at least without requiring the client to press enter?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

they had a whole set of tooling around building houses out of their own baked poo poo

cool

we have actual scripting languages in the modern era btw. they have debuggers too

ok so what's your point

we used to do it crappily now we do it better?

my point is that measuring the progress of shells and terminal emulators is a really bad way to assess the total utility of the platform

those individual things are objectively less featureful than they were 20 years ago, but the platform is substantially better in important ways

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

re: terminal chat

is it possible for a server to configure an xterm client to use 'raw'-mode? so that the client xterm sends characters as their typed, or, at least without requiring the client to press enter?

in the terminal attributes flip the ICANON bit to turn off canonical mode and set VMIN to 1. you can now use read() to get individual characters as they are input

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

The_Franz posted:

in the terminal attributes flip the ICANON bit to turn off canonical mode and set VMIN to 1. you can now use read() to get individual characters as they are input

thanks!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams mentions an extremely dull planet, inhabited by a bunch of depressed humans and a certain breed of animals with sharp teeth which communicate with the humans by biting them very hard in the thighs. This is strikingly similar to UNIX,

http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/tty/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if terminals had kept up progress we would have had a ton of applications that looked like ipython notebooks in the present day

instead you can't resize a terminal without most likely loving up its raw text contents

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

if terminals had kept up progress we would have had a ton of applications that looked like ipython notebooks in the present day

IPython notebooks are just a pale imitation of Mathematica notebooks

and Mathematica notebooks, despite Wolfram claiming everything to do with Mathematica sprang fully-formed from his gigantic brain with no contributions from elsewhere, are just a pale imitation of Symbolics Genera’s standard command line interface

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

but we do have a ton of applications that look like ipython notebooks. all of them are targeted at developers. ipython + numpy, jupyter, intellij, spark notebook, etc.

it's not because terminals didn't keep up. its because most people hate CLIs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but we do have a ton of applications that look like ipython notebooks. all of them are targeted at developers. ipython + numpy, jupyter, intellij, spark notebook, etc.

ipython is jupyter, numpy is a library, IntelliJ is an ide and spark notebook is Scala notebook is ipython

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
these three ipython products are suspiciously ipython like -nbsd

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
not that ipython and its brethren aren't fantastic because they are and they will be the well deserved heel that grinds Mathematica into the dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

these three ipython products are suspiciously ipython like -nbsd

would you rather that people just built new things instead of building on prior work?

a cool and new-ish model came along and it's being used for all kinds of stuff