Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

someone cracked those eggs and measured out the ingredients, that seems a little more user-friendly than i would expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

p much anything that is a dependency is gonna need some flags in my experience. stuff that depends on other poo poo doesn't really matter but dependencies always gently caress up since they don't know where your OS maintainer decided to put poo poo. Is it /usr/local/bin? or /usr/bin/? etc.

pkg-config is meant to fix this, and it often does

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yum

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pkg-config is meant to fix this, and it often does

haven't heard of this before. looks like it might save me some headache if i have to compile any stuff in the future. cheers

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

b0red posted:

haven't heard of this before. looks like it might save me some headache if i have to compile any stuff in the future. cheers

most stuff picks up deps automatically with it nowadays but it can be dropped in for command line arguments to configure and whatnot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fritz posted:

someone cracked those eggs and measured out the ingredients, that seems a little more user-friendly than i would expect

gentoo presumably is where egg is actually fertile, and you have to keep it warm, hatch the egg and fully grow the beast bird until it lays another egg you are able to use for making your cake

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the drat timer didn't beep :mad:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

the drat timer didn't beep :mad:

linux on the grill

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/csar/status/769091502010142721

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

let them eat gnu cake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

linux on the grill

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

gentoo presumably is where egg is actually fertile, and you have to keep it warm, hatch the egg and fully grow the beast bird until it lays another egg you are able to use for making your cake

gentoo is a fertilized egg where you just cut off the wings and insist that the remnant torso is just as good as yolk

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gentoo is a fertilized egg where you just cut off the wings and insist that the remnant torso is just as good as yolk

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I'm american and I've never seen that at my local grocer (in California). What the hell is that used for? My current guess is "salads that are not salads" like potato salad and macaroni salad.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
some people just want to watch the world burn

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

I'm american and I've never seen that at my local grocer (in California). What the hell is that used for? My current guess is "salads that are not salads" like potato salad and macaroni salad.

based on the number of prepper sites that come up i'm guessing its primarily just an emergency food

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its for diy protein shakes

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
my family was poor growing up. along with government cheese, we also got egg powder in a box. it cooked like scrambled eggs, and wasn't too bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

honestly i don't imagine it to be significantly different than the liquid eggs cafeterias use, only dehydrated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

honestly i don't imagine it to be significantly different than the liquid eggs cafeterias use, only dehydrated

all that surface area means oxidization

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its for low-perishable mass meal purposes (military rations, preppers) and the poor, esp since it can be bought surplus. ive never been poor, but when i was a kid my family was intermittently convinced we were because of right-wing hysteria/the gubmint. its bad but better than powdered milk

e: i doubt that brand is for these purposes, dont know why else you'd buy it except some sort of bulk baked good production?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

hobbesmaster posted:

based on the number of prepper sites that come up i'm guessing its primarily just an emergency food

Maximum Leader posted:

its for diy protein shakes

There Will Be Penalty posted:

my family was poor growing up. along with government cheese, we also got egg powder in a box. it cooked like scrambled eggs, and wasn't too bad.

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for your responses. I am now closer to making my own egg salad sandwiches than I ever intended to be.

We should all come up with a Linux inspired recipe for quick human nourishment, one step closer to establishing a pure, gnu open source society based on the principles of free beer and bizarre code development.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome 3.22 is coming

wayland support is already usable day-to-day with 3.20, in 3.22 they will be polishing the wayland experience some more

flatpak will have a first-class user experience in gnome software, which will seamlessly combine high quality listings of your distribution's installable desktop software with any third-party flatpak repositories that you subscribe to

oh and uh nautilus will have a bulk rename ui that actually looks very polished and user-friendly

i'm pretty hype

and of course it will all land in arch linux mere days after the official release, because arch is kool like that. hopefully they will package fwupd soon so that gnome software's system and device firmware update features will also work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

flatpak will have a first-class user experience in gnome software, which will seamlessly combine high quality listings of your distribution's installable desktop software with any third-party flatpak repositories that you subscribe to

lol

just lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
flatpak is really good and so is gnome software

people have tried to do things like gnome software before but this is the first time they've actually sat down and designed something that people might actually want to use instead of "eh, what's a good bullshit six week project for the intern to do that doesn't touch anything important?"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
my old linux laptop that i was using for a tv box has died so i took its ssd and put it in a nice new intel nuc
its very nice except for some hosed up steam+bluetooth bugs but maybe its time to get a steam controller

i cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck is the deal with current intel drivers though, am i supposed to be using xorg-x11-drv-intel or am i supposed to be letting the builtin modesetting kernel driver handle things

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ahmeni posted:

it's a symptom of open sores and it was common in the older generations. yaml was engineered as a vaccine as it is just slightly programmatic enough to allow developers to build up a resistance

please vaccinate your devs. nobody deserves to lose a family member to ebnf

lol and then they made toml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahmeni posted:

my old linux laptop that i was using for a tv box has died so i took its ssd and put it in a nice new intel nuc
its very nice except for some hosed up steam+bluetooth bugs but maybe its time to get a steam controller

i cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck is the deal with current intel drivers though, am i supposed to be using xorg-x11-drv-intel or am i supposed to be letting the builtin modesetting kernel driver handle things

you're supposed to be using windows.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3.22 is coming

wayland support is already usable day-to-day with 3.20, in 3.22 they will be polishing the wayland experience some more

how many APIs are they breaking binary compatibility with when they do that

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Mr Dog posted:

oh and uh nautilus will have a bulk rename ui that actually looks very polished and user-friendly

Does anyone who posts in a carethread about Linux really care about GUIs for things that are already easy in a shell?

Although Fedora is good and GNOME is good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
bulk rename in a shell is easy?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

you're supposed to be using windows.

The Post That Shaggared Me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

bulk rename in a shell is easy?

well, either that or everything beyond running a single command in the shell is hard. which may be the case thinking about it

bulk rename seems one of those open-ended specialized things though, while it has a name everyone means something subtly different as far as what outcomes they expect to be able to arrive at

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you care about bulk rename, chances are you give a flying gently caress of doing that within a gui.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mike12345 posted:

If you care about bulk rename, chances are you give a flying gently caress of doing that within a gui.

Eh, if it's a few files the gui is ok. If it's a poo poo load of files gently caress that I am spending 30 seconds and puking out a python/bash script.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

how many APIs are they breaking binary compatibility with when they do that

None actually, because 3.22 will be the start of a new stable ABI series that will continue to be supported until people move on from it in the same way that Gtk 2 is right now.

In the meantime they are going to begin development on Gtk 4, whose headline feature will be a unified scene graph engine that will also replace Clutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Athas posted:

Does anyone who posts in a carethread about Linux really care about GUIs for things that are already easy in a shell?

Although Fedora is good and GNOME is good.

Actually I already use gnome-software to install things and it is really good. Far better than opening a command line and running package manager search results through a pager. Installing software on a desktop system shouldn't be done using caveman tools even if that's how it has always been done up until now.

Unlike the command line it also uses a special systemd target in order to reboot for system software updates.