Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr Dog posted:

and have its installation processing be declarative with a fixed vocabulary that can maybe be extended over time. deb went the opposite way: debs used to have completely freeform installation shell scripts that ran as root but over time bits and pieces of these all got packaged into "debhelper" scripts and now most debs install themselves exclusively by calling a sequence of debhelper scripts from the installation script and nothing else

or something. i've never actually built a deb.
Yes this is basically correct. By moving away from maintainer scripts to debhelper commands we also make it much easier to convert things away from standard system .deb packages to something more modern.

"Click" packages, for instance, are Ubuntu's new solution for software that's more like an app than a system daemon. They're like .debs with a narrow set of requirements (ie no custom installation shell scripts, can depend only on things in the standard set of packages known as the Ubuntu SDK, etc). Most software that's not "the system", ie the stuff you will probably really need a distro for for the forseeable future, could eventually be demoted in this fashion. It's also much easier to make packages like this more portable to other platforms -- supporting installing Click packages on Red Hat through a compatibility layer is a much easier problem than a random .deb with all manner of dependencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

eschaton posted:

this is something I never hear at my job and I'm very happy for it

same. im usually the one bitching about that, and my coworkers have to hear it.

just cuz solaris sucks tho and i keep trying to do work on solaris jump boxes and get mad when poo poo like awk or whatever don't work and move my work to a linux box to get it done.

so i mean GNU is great, it's marketing department succccckkkkkkkkkkkkkks though

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I recently started teaching programming classes and people in there ask me all the time what distro I use

and the reaction to my answer is always a smug "heh". always.

linux users amirite

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my go-to is debian still. i like how stupidly easy it is and all the tools work like i expect.

but my job isnt a unix sysadmin per-se, like, i can do whatever in whichever unix-like os i just curse and go "gently caress you, poor-awk get a job and buy some features" or "i hate you solaris, sincerely hate you"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my distro is windows 7

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol that macbook SSDs aren't self-encrypting drives yet (will they ever be?)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would you put the encryption in the drive, that's idiotic

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

my distro is windows 7

I was seriously considering answering Mac OS Ten after the third time it happened but I'm a coward :ohdear:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmao a coward towards students

classic linux!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
they're older and bigger than me ok

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

why would you put the encryption in the drive, that's idiotic

are you serious?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ooh ooh i know this one

modern ssds encrypt your data behind your back anyway, because that gives it a uniform distribution of 1s and 0s, which helps to reduce wear. intel's Opal SSD thing just exposes the crypto to the OS and firmware so that you can use it for security purposes.

obviously this has :nsa: backdoors out the rear end though (i mean why wouldn't it. those who who obey the law have nothing to fear :nsa: )

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

56k milli posted:

lol that macbook SSDs aren't self-encrypting drives yet (will they ever be?)

no. they have an aes-xts fde layer in their os which works on any block device ever made (not just ssds), doesn't depend on firmware written by the storage industry to not have security flaws, and has a number of other advantages such as being architected to allow your regular user password to unlock the drive, allow multiple user accounts' passwords to unlock the drive, allow them to offer an optional service where an extra unlock key is generated and stored with apple for disaster recovery if you forget your password, and more. (the disaster recovery feature is for users who are interested in encrypting to protect their laptop from petty theft rather than :tinfoil: :nsa: obvs)

their fde uses the aes-ni acceleration block integrated into all modern intel cpus. it can keep up with the fastest ssds apple is shipping without chewing much cpu time

literally the only downside is that it doesn't push the encryption out to the disk to satisfy spergs

actually the real only downside is that sandforce controllers want to be able to compress data to hit their max performance and lol if u think the drive can compress aes encrypted data. but also lol if u think apple sources very many ssds with a sandforce controller

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so why isn't the linux world just using the superior launchd instead of this systemd poo poo? is it because they're still stuck in the 70s without the goodness of Mach IPC?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BobHoward posted:

no. they have an aes-xts fde layer in their os which works on any block device ever made (not just ssds), doesn't depend on firmware written by the storage industry to not have security flaws, and has a number of other advantages such as being architected to allow your regular user password to unlock the drive, allow multiple user accounts' passwords to unlock the drive, allow them to offer an optional service where an extra unlock key is generated and stored with apple for disaster recovery if you forget your password, and more. (the disaster recovery feature is for users who are interested in encrypting to protect their laptop from petty theft rather than :tinfoil: :nsa: obvs)

their fde uses the aes-ni acceleration block integrated into all modern intel cpus. it can keep up with the fastest ssds apple is shipping without chewing much cpu time

literally the only downside is that it doesn't push the encryption out to the disk to satisfy spergs

actually the real only downside is that sandforce controllers want to be able to compress data to hit their max performance and lol if u think the drive can compress aes encrypted data. but also lol if u think apple sources very many ssds with a sandforce controller

FDE is best handled by the drive so it can do it directly in hardware for power savings

ms has bitlocker

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

eschaton posted:

so why isn't the linux world just using the superior launchd instead of this systemd poo poo? is it because they're still stuck in the 70s without the goodness of Mach IPC?

licensing issues lol

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

is there a linux distro that is the 'best' for software development?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

is there a linux distro that is the 'best' for software development?

osx

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

ugh i am this close to getting a macbook pro. it's linux that Just Works as far as i'm concerned.

how good are they at keeping themselves cool under load though? some friends who own mbps have told me theirs can get p toasty

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

thanks for this post. sounds like sw aes will suit my needs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mac keyboards are incorrect tho

i like deb-based but its pretty hard to find a linux that isnt amicable to some codin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so fedora 20 still doesn't work with broadcom wifi chipsets.

there's a driver that doesn't work oob because you need to go through some thirty step firmware extraction nonsense because free software or whatever. then there's the driver direct from broadcom that won't build for a half-dozen different reasons.

turns out it was easier to go find a spare intel mini pcie wifi card and swap it in than it was to go through the reams of bullshit to get the shipped adapter to work.

it's even easier to just use windows but i need kismet to track down some wifi interference issues and that poo poo doesn't work in a vm.

go linux. not a single install in 15 years that hasn't required me to drop to the command line to get the hardware working right

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

broadcom wifi chipset

this is all you needed to say, the rest is redundant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Progressive JPEG posted:

this is all you needed to say, the rest is redundant

sure, they're trash. but they're really common trash.

it's not like you can't test against this stuff so that one of the most common wifi chipsets actually works oob

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use atheros for 100% open sores driver goodness

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

56k milli posted:

ugh i am this close to getting a macbook pro. it's linux that Just Works as far as i'm concerned.

you should get a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, it's the best notebook ever made

my 15-inch 2012 MBPwRD is as fast as my 2008 Mac Pro and the screen is just gorgeous and it still feels like new 2 years after I bought it

quote:

how good are they at keeping themselves cool under load though? some friends who own mbps have told me theirs can get p toasty

it will stay reasonably cool under load, I use mine for real software dev all the time (like building multi-million-line project, I'm not some scrub who thinks a few dozen classes is "big") and it's just fine to use on my desk, it doesn't burn my hands or anything

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
don't use fedora, like its namesake it is a bad thing for bad people.

broadcom wifi works just fine on debian with zero hassle.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

don't use linux

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Progressive JPEG posted:

i like deb-based but its pretty hard to find a linux that isnt amicable to some codin

True I just didn't know if one distro outshines the rest.

Also osx is Meh. I loves me a Unix but I could get more machine for my dollar with windows and cygwin if I wanted to pay for an os

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

weird op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

don't use fedora, like its namesake it is a bad thing for bad people.

broadcom wifi works just fine on debian with zero hassle.

cool, distro wars!

you're actually advocating using vanilla debian for something that's meant to be minimal effort oob?

here's a hint, it doesn't matter what distro you use, there will always be some goddamn thing that doesn't work right and requires loving around in bash for 20 minutes to fix.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

don't use linux

i wouldn't but afaik kisMAC doesn't support any of the newer macbook wifi cards for monitor mode, which is what i need

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

you're actually advocating using vanilla debian for something that's meant to be minimal effort oob?
no, i'm mocking fedora for managing to be even harder to set up than debian, a distro that isn't even targeted at desktop users.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sure, they're trash. but they're really common trash.

it's not like you can't test against this stuff so that one of the most common wifi chipsets actually works oob

i had a laptop with a broadcom 43xx and drivers for it only came into existence after several volunteer developers had done a full chinese wall reverse engineering job over several months against one of broadcom's windows drivers

so i dont think linux is the party to be blaming here tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

i had a laptop with a broadcom 43xx and drivers for it only came into existence after several volunteer developers had done a full chinese wall reverse engineering job over several months against one of broadcom's windows drivers

so i dont think linux is the party to be blaming here tbh

so the drivers exist already? yes?

then linux is at fault here.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

syntaxrigger posted:

True I just didn't know if one distro outshines the rest.

Also osx is Meh. I loves me a Unix but I could get more machine for my dollar with windows and cygwin if I wanted to pay for an os

Cygwin sucks it's performance sucks, you can't rely on the scheduler, there is even more newline character bullshit then normal and it has small package library

I wrote bash script on Cygwin and then I had to port it to linux because sort didn't work the same way, and how case sensitivity works is retarded, once it was ported it was about 100x faster then Cygwin

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so the drivers exist already? yes?

then linux is at fault here.

no they didnt exist until a year or two after id gotten the laptop

they actually worked better than the windows version did lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

Cygwin sucks it's performance sucks, you can't rely on the scheduler, there is even more newline character bullshit then normal and it has small package library

I wrote bash script on Cygwin and then I had to port it to linux because sort didn't work the same way, and how case sensitivity works is retarded, once it was ported it was about 100x faster then Cygwin

Cygwin sucks cause posix sucks. if you are using posix you have already failed so don't bring that poo poo over to windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

no they didnt exist until a year or two after id gotten the laptop

they actually worked better than the windows version did lmao

so the drivers exist now though? and have since like 2013 or so at least? yes?

then why the gently caress aren't they properly packaged and tested for a popular, supposedly user oriented, distro that came out in 2014?

because linux suck rear end at anything related to user experience, or you know, having things work properly without bespoke fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lunix