Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember some old linux apps made you pick your sound engine lol. alsa, oss, some other poo poo, and none of them would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the DOS experience well into the 00s

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I remember having an issue where only one thing could output audio. so if you had a browser open and wanted to use audio elsewhere it wouldn’t work. can’t remember which stupid sound system that was an issue for. but then everything just worked under pulse later

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i never understood the linux/sound jokes.

careful. a few more slips like this and everyone will think you're lying about having ever used linux.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OldAlias posted:

I remember having an issue where only one thing could output audio. so if you had a browser open and wanted to use audio elsewhere it wouldn’t work. can’t remember which stupid sound system that was an issue for. but then everything just worked under pulse later

it was ALSA

OSS worked fine but it was the demo version of the paid version of the drivers that had all the advanced features

ALSA was created to be a free replacement for paid OSS, but ALSA shipped without advanced features like "audio mixing". If your hardware supported multiple channels, you could listen to e.g. 32 applications simultaneously, but ALSA launched right at the time that PC sound hardware abandoned hardware mixing entirely because you could just do it on the CPU for less money. Audio mixing in the kernel was a no-go because that was "policy" and all policy Belongs in userspace for Reasons and it also required floating-point math with is Not Allowed for Reasons.

at the same time PC sound hardware was standardizing on Intel AC'97 (later Intel HD Audio), which is an overengineered generic self-describing audio hardware interface. unfortunately it is cheaper to ship a .ini file with your Windows driver than bother to update the ROM tables that self-describe the hardware, so basic things like which audio channel is routed to which speaker or what the different mixer controls do and whether or not they even do anything at all is a pack of lies.

so userspace was forced to fill the audio mixing gap left by kernel devs, and naturally that fell to the exemplar of taste and quality: the Enlightenment project and esd, the Enlightened Sound Daemon. it was a crashy piece of poo poo

esd got replaced by PolypAudio (later PulseAudio) by Lennart Poettering (now of systemd infamy), which solved the audio mixing problem but still had to rely on the hardware nonsense mindlessly repeated by the ALSA drivers and also had to cope with the fact that when you rewrite your entire audio stack from scratch, your drivers are (shall we say) untested, so it'd still crash occasionally when the ALSA runtime asserted or something

everything switched to using PulseAudio instead of ALSA, the quality of the ALSA drivers improved slowly, and more than a decade later Linux audio Just Works, but not in a low latency realtime audio sense because the Linux disk and processes schedulers are garbage

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 12, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i can remember using the oss commercial drivers to make non-poo poo soundcards work under solaris and they were cool and good

thanks oss

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

by comparison, sound just works on windows and macos. always has. i don't know how they accomplish such a feat.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
idk i always needed a wizard or a driver on windows too

i am pretty sure it is the nature of the riotous variety of pc hardware that sometimes you need a driver disk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the windows audio stack was a pile of garbage for a long time until microsoft finally told vendors* to gently caress off and did all of the mixing in software

when xp first came out i couldn't use it for weeks because the sound drivers for my hardware bluescreened the system in seconds and even when things "worked" the sound drivers were frequent culprits for system crashes, right behind video drivers

*mostly creative labs

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
for a long time creative labs had a campaign against software mixing by pushing some random bullshit driver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Audio_Extensions

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Creative deserves its fate, I don't blame Microsoft for taking that stand. There was a time when you had to be very careful not to load new Sound Blaster drivers until all other hardware was configured or it would happily gently caress up modems, network cards, you name it, just by PCI contention because Creative didn't hold with that "give up your config if it conflicts" nonsense. I liked Ensoniq's better but Creative had to gently caress them up too when they took them over. Still have a couple of Live cards hanging around.

But Linux sound is fine as long as you're just playing back something. It's when you want to INPUT sound that it's a pile of garbage.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

most Sound Blaster hardware was actually pretty decent for the time, especially the EMU10k DSP series on the Live and Audigy once you combined it with the third party kX drivers for windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8XGxNrvp4

In the early 90s Creative bought https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_Systems and from the chipset names it sounds like they handled the hardware designs well into the 2000s

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you gotta turn the EAX crystallizer all the way up

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I remember having an Audigy card when I got started in Linux (around 2003) and it worked OK with ALSA. I think the fact that it did hardware mixing meant I avoided the majority of the Linux audio pain (but I do remember having to compile prerelease versions of the 2.6 kernel to get ALSA support).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Creative was so bad at hardware they mixed up left & right on the SB Pro and games had to put in a swap stereo option to fix it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

even when ms forced everyone to use software mixing, creative still found ways to be a pain in the rear end. the windows software mixer lets an application take exclusive control of the audio hardware to output "raw" audio. this can be used via either a push or pull style api, with the latter firing off a callback when half of the buffer was consumed so it could be refilled and playback could continue uninterrupted. creative's garbage drivers wouldn't call the callback function until the buffer was completely drained rendering glitch-free playback impossible with the pull interface.

on the topic of linux audio, here comes pipewire to try and provide a variable-latency mixer to unify jack and pulseaudio

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

on the topic of linux audio, here comes pipewire to try and provide a variable-latency mixer to unify jack and pulseaudio

pipewire (after renamed from its previous name of "pinos", pronounced "penis") was always about video

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

most Sound Blaster hardware was actually pretty decent for the time, especially the EMU10k DSP series on the Live and Audigy once you combined it with the third party kX drivers for windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8XGxNrvp4

In the early 90s Creative bought https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_Systems and from the chipset names it sounds like they handled the hardware designs well into the 2000s

im mad at them for killing the emulator line

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i guess i missed out by never having a creative labs card lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

i guess i missed out by never having a creative labs card lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

pipewire (after renamed from its previous name of "pinos", pronounced "penis") was always about video

was being the operative word. looks like they are trying to turn it into a coreaudio-style mixer with "legacy" pulse/jack/alsa software interfacing with modules that sit on top of it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr Sbaitso fuckin whipped tho

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
someone post the xfi chart pls

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Captain Foo posted:

Dr Sbaitso fuckin whipped tho

:yeah:

i remember riding my bike down to the hole in the wall computer store and buying a piece of poo poo, used soundblaster. good times.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I remember the creative drivers being the cause for 100% of my Windows 7 blue screens

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take on lunix audio is that alsa is loving amazing and has been for about a decade now, but requires editing config files and a bunch of commands to work right, and pulseaudio is a good solution to that.

it's definitely a better thing than windows, where all my audio is a few ms late because i need to record desktop audio but don't record voip audio and still need both on my headphones.

making that poo poo work with alsa is very simple, in windows i require dumb third party software that adds latency. to get latency-free sound i'd need a professional grade soundcard that costs a lot, bypasses the windows sound api, and isn't supported by most apps lmao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what's your cold take then

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
works for me

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Truga posted:

my hot take on lunix audio is that alsa is loving amazing and has been for about a decade now, but requires editing config files and a bunch of commands to work right, and pulseaudio is a good solution to that.

it's definitely a better thing than windows, where all my audio is a few ms late because i need to record desktop audio but don't record voip audio and still need both on my headphones.

making that poo poo work with alsa is very simple, in windows i require dumb third party software that adds latency. to get latency-free sound i'd need a professional grade soundcard that costs a lot, bypasses the windows sound api, and isn't supported by most apps lmao

yeah Linux makes this really easy with a few different ways to go about it. even with Mac it’s hacky poo poo around writing kernel extensions and passing the sound buffer cause this stuff is not exposed (if you don’t want to pay near $100 for audio hijack or alt).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sound on Linux... Good?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Sound on Linux... Good?

looks that way james

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

common problem if you're trying to get windows working with your ham radio (where the radio appears as a USB sound device and you send audio to it) is that windows will randomly rearrange your sound devices so suddenly you're e.g. sending default windows beep boop noises over the air without realizing it

causes of this can include:
- rebooted the machine
- there was a windows update
- the device was unplugged and plugged in again

its so frequent and obnoxious that ive seen ham radio olds buy and configure a raspberry pi for ham radio purposes since figuring that out was easier for them than getting windows to stop making GBS threads all over audio device configuration

so maybe linux audio is doing something right these days after all

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
saw someone using an eee pc today. good times, the netbook revolution is definitely going to bring linux into the mainstream guys

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2018 year of linux on the ancient, bargain bin netbook and low powered hobbyist kit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

2018 year of linux on the ancient, bargain bin netbook and low powered hobbyist kit

nah the MacBook air came out a few years ago.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i loved my eeepc. mainly because i was a poor student and it blew me the gently caress away that I could computer for $400. it was the first proper one with an atom and a 10 inch screen. I put a 2 gb ram module in and boy that thing...could run chrome and a couple of other things. battery life was real good though. I put crunchbang on it

I used it hard for 2-3 years. then I had to get a laptop that could run this testing software for school and lol at paying for a win 7 licence for a now sub-$100 computer

battery ended up dying. I gave it to my gf when her thinkpad died and she used it plugged in to watch Netflix. eventually a hinge on the screen broke so it was always lopsided. she partially fixed it with duct tape. then the cat started chewing the corner so it looked all hosed up

she eventually got a new computer and it mostly sat in a box after that. It survived a bad house fire . only got rid of it a couple of years ago

anywho that was the rich life of my eeepc hope you enjoyed it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

AMD Threadripper 2990WX Linux Benchmarks: The 32-Core / 64-Thread Beast

32 cores would be awesome

ryzen and threadripper is still awful brand names, but i guess it's not mandatory to have a windowed case with rainbow leds in your translucent cooling fans anymore, so i still would like to have one

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
amd has amazing brand names you shut your mouth :v:

also, phoronix uploaded a comparison of the 32 core amd between a couple lunix distros and windows 10 and gently caress microsoft needs to get to work, there's cases where it's over 2 times slower on windows

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Current Linux desktop situation: Contemplating using a dedicated VM on my dev machine for the sole purpose of hosting a usbip server because the only way I can get my JTAG programmer to work is through a VM where the USB controller is set to 2.0 mode, but hosting the rest of the FPGA dev tools in a VM sucks.

For some reason the programmer doesn't work when attempting to use it through the primary OS - I'm presuming because all the physical controllers on the motherboard are 3.0+ and something about the xhci driver is making the programmer device unhappy. Device fails the same way in the VM if I set the controller mode to 3.0. So basically I'm hoping to have to somehow deal with less bullshit after setting up a loop of Physical USB->VM USB->IP USB Server->IP USB client.

Or I might wind up paying $30 for a PCIe card with a USB 2.0 controller.

e: Well that didn't work. Looks like I'm going to have to try out some old gen hardware.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

linux desktop situation:

yesterday i finally managed to get a macosx vm working in virtualbox. it was a giant pain in the rear end, but now I can build mac os specific apps when i need to