Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

I tried in in a VM
poser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

From my Fedora 28 install, the best desktop distro there is. :smug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

gentoo is garbage trash and unfit for any purpose aside from making linux fans feel like they're hacking the gibson as they watch compile spam scroll past. this is still true with CFLAGS at default

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ibm vs oracle corporate legal fight is going to be like two enraged hippos

if i was a lawyer for ibm i think i'd be tempted to call a face-to-face meeting early on and say "look, guys. we all know we're going to spend a decade accomplishing nothing here. you guys want to just meet up for drinks every month and have our interns print a few reams of bullshit a day to make it look like we're working? we're gonna get about as much done that way."

if i was a lawyer for oracle i figure larry ellison would be calling me every two hours demanding an update.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the ranking of linux from best linux to worst linux?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Best (Server):
RHEL/CentOS

Best (Desktop):
Fedora

Worst:
Anything else.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

---- decent ----
RHEL
centos
---- tolerable ----
debian
ubuntu
---- trash ----
arch
gentoo
devuan
ubuntu derivates
fedora

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

---- decent ----
RHEL
centos
---- tolerable ----
debian
ubuntu
---- trash ----
arch
gentoo
devuan
ubuntu derivates
fedora

LOL.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Best (Server):
RHEL/CentOS

Best (Desktop):
Fedora

Worst:
Anything else.

where do android, buildroot and yocto fit in

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

where do android, buildroot and yocto fit in

BuildRoot and Yocto are embedded SDK's. Android is its own thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they all are linux though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

people just hate that android is the most successful linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Best (Server):
RHEL/CentOS

Best (Desktop):
Fedora

Honorable Mention:
SuSE

Worst:
Anything else.
ftfy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

macs os

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

and gnu/windows

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

they all are linux though

BuildRoot and Yocto make you a Linux of your choosing that is usually very small.

Android is Linux in the sense that it uses the Linux kernel, but everything else is custom (including init.)

I could agree with this.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

people just hate that android is the most successful linux

is it? nobody uses android by choice, and nobody makes money on it but samsung

linux on servers and embedded devices are multi-billion dollar industries with vibrant ecosystems

android is a fetid little hole in which google and samsung sit and fling feces at each other

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

arch is fun as a hobbyist sort of thing. cant imagine running a production server w/it though

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RedHat Red Star Linux 2019!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

---- decent ----
RHEL
centos
---- tolerable ----
debian
ubuntu
---- trash ----
arch
gentoo
devuan
ubuntu derivates
fedora

it is a recurring problem in this thread that people, for some reason, think ubuntu is a tolerable situation. it is not. friends do not let friends use ubuntu.

debian is a different story but nobody cares about debian

so, here's a post from four years ago explaining in excrutiating detail why ubuntu is bad ok

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thats bad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

android doesn’t ship a libc compatible with the Linux platform

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

... but it runs on linux?

are we all conflating linux with the wider gnu ecosystem again??

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Android, is in fact, Android/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Google corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

el dorito posted:

... but it runs on linux?

are we all conflating linux with the wider gnu ecosystem again??

I mean, you can't run linux programs on android or android programs on linux, so.... ?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

---- decent ----
RHEL
centos
---- tolerable ----
debian
ubuntu
---- trash ----
arch
gentoo
devuan
ubuntu derivates
fedora

nice meltdown

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

I mean, you can't run linux programs on android or android programs on linux, so.... ?

you can run android programs on linux, but you generally cannot run linux programs on android

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there are also a few idiots who claim musl is Linux but they're not fooling anybody

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can run android programs on linux, but you generally cannot run linux programs on android

you can run android programs on linux the same way you can run windows programs on linux

Windows is more of a Linux than Android ever will be

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is uclinux linux?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i have a 486 running gentoo with systemd built with a musl toolchain at home

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

i have a 486 running gentoo with systemd built with a musl toolchain at home

math coprocessor?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

A statically linked executable that is built on a modern gnu/linux should run just fine in android if the architecture is the same. I imagine that the reverse should be true. They are both using the same Linux ABI which Linus really really doesn’t want to break.

Yes, this is splitting hairs, but this is yospos so...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

just tested with a small C program so, yes, it does work

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

math coprocessor?

yep, i upgraded the stock sx to a 66 mhz 486dx2 :pcgaming:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

yep, i upgraded the stock sx to a 66 mhz 486dx2 :pcgaming:

Get an overclock chip and bump that baby up to 133Mhz :getin:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Get an overclock chip and bump that baby up to 133Mhz :getin:

if i did that it might be able to play an mp3, i'm not sure i'm ready for such a commitment yet...

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is a recurring problem in this thread that people, for some reason, think ubuntu is a tolerable situation. it is not. friends do not let friends use ubuntu.

debian is a different story but nobody cares about debian

so, here's a post from four years ago explaining in excrutiating detail why ubuntu is bad ok

ok

I don’t think anything at work actually uses distro packages though. it’s self-packaged ruby debs and other awful poo poo so we’d have to get better for what you said to make a difference

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ok

I don’t think anything at work actually uses distro packages though. it’s self-packaged ruby debs and other awful poo poo so we’d have to get better for what you said to make a difference

if you have universe and multiverse disabled, you are doing it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Gentoo is indeed trash. I tried in in a VM recently and it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years.

thats because you probably spent 15 yrs compiling it