Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

a functional netbsd system

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

a functional netbsd system

lol

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I installed Solis Budgie today on an old Optiplex. It’s fast. Nice looking.

But every Linux distro’s attempt to build an App Store is hilarious. Like no one wants to install the Inkscape help docs by themselves. Also a Games category? Really? Why?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

RocketLunatic posted:

I installed Solis Budgie today on an old Optiplex. It’s fast. Nice looking.

But every Linux distro’s attempt to build an App Store is hilarious. Like no one wants to install the Inkscape help docs by themselves. Also a Games category? Really? Why?

surely i would imagine the games category has wine and literally nothing else

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

surely i would imagine the games category has wine and literally nothing else

tux racer

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

for reasons i cannot put into words that is incredibly depressing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tux racer is fun though

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i sure do love how the mingw-w64 site tells me to install it via fedora's package manager but then dnf has no loving idea what im talking about when i tell it to install it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hbag's venture outside of the amber forums seems to be going well I see

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm sure there's also nethack and wesnoth and freeciv

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and chromium

no the shooter game not the browser

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hbag's venture outside of the amber forums seems to be going well I see

i made the mistake of posting in fyad before i realised what fyad was and now seem to be their newest ik punching bag

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hbag posted:

i made the mistake of posting in fyad before i realised what fyad was and now seem to be their newest ik punching bag

looked to me like you weren’t doing too badly till you made the mistake of engaging with seraph

stick to the pos imo, we’re a lot more forgiving (unless you’re seraph)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/evolutionises/status/1364880170146959360

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hbag posted:

i sure do love how the mingw-w64 site tells me to install it via fedora's package manager but then dnf has no loving idea what im talking about when i tell it to install it

you'll find a lot of that with fedora, and it's always because it's in a repo that isn't quite official enough to make it into the base config

hbag posted:

remember when people said lurk more?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

remember when people said lurk more?

mostly though just don't post in fyad. as dumb as dead as these forums are in general nothing is actually dumber and deader than fyad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, it's possible they might have learned not to post in fyad before having posted in fyad by lurking more

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

tux racer is fun though

Im not saying its a good filter for the posers, Im just saying if you can't gently caress w/ tuxracer then maybe ur not cut out for appreciating free (as in beer and freedom) software...

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve played kobo deluxe on Linux a lot but I’m not actually sure what license it uses

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

morrowind

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Self-promotion time. If anybody has an RPI3 or 4 and wants to use it as an emulator box, I got retroarch working on both of them this weekend.

Check out https://github.com/retroroot-linux/retroroot/tree/develop if you want to make an SDcard. I will add Bluetooth support later today, as I forgot to add the patches needed for the raspberry pi to work with the bluez stack. I also have an x86 config, although I don't guarantee that it boots from USB3.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Self-promotion time. If anybody has an RPI3 or 4 and wants to use it as an emulator box, I got retroarch working on both of them this weekend.

Check out https://github.com/retroroot-linux/retroroot/tree/develop if you want to make an SDcard. I will add Bluetooth support later today, as I forgot to add the patches needed for the raspberry pi to work with the bluez stack. I also have an x86 config, although I don't guarantee that it boots from USB3.

how is this different than just downloading a ready-to-go retro pie image?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

how is this different than just downloading a ready-to-go retro pie image?

Eh, it's probably not so much. The main differences are:
- Easy to build an image from the source
- Easy to modify the config file to suit your needs.
- I plan on adding more embedded boards in the next week or two.
- Smaller than RetroPi. A full build is around 350MB and a stripped-down version clocks in at 100MB~
- Isn't specifically just for the raspberry pi. I also have an X86-64 defconfig

Also, this is more of a fun side-project to make something people can use and tinker with/modify themselves. Or at least, that's the hope.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 1, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

- Isn't specifically just for the raspberry pi. I also have an X86-64 defconfig

that is the standout thing for me, seems pretty cool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
now do one around SIMH that boots straight to VMS with networking etc. fully configured, with SIMH console and VMS OPCOM in separate tmux windows with infinite scrollback

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maybe I should stand up a YOSVAX

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eschaton posted:

yes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same but Hercules z/OS

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

whoa

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

make the yosframe

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hbag posted:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW/Tutorial#Infrastructure

Looks like it's broken up depending on what kind of compiler you want. Try dnf search mingw and watch the screen scroll by for a couple minutes.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

thebigcow posted:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW/Tutorial#Infrastructure

Looks like it's broken up depending on what kind of compiler you want. Try dnf search mingw and watch the screen scroll by for a couple minutes.

yeah, i ended up figuring it out and am now trying to figure out if the compiler bitching about a function not being defined (that is defined a few lines below it) is normal and this documentation is wrong or if i need to gently caress with something, in the programming thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if it's a C file then the function header needs to be defined before it actually gets used.

You can run the preprocessor to see if the header is actually defined somewhere or if you have the wrong headers or if the preprocessor flags are not configured correctly.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hbag posted:

yeah, i ended up figuring it out and am now trying to figure out if the compiler bitching about a function not being defined (that is defined a few lines below it) is normal and this documentation is wrong or if i need to gently caress with something, in the programming thread

learning C by loving around is going to be really painful

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so that's what they mean by "gently caress around and find out"

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Alright, let's just take this line by line... First, what does "#include <stdio.h>" do?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
that instructs the C compiler to include St. Dio, patron of segmentation faults, in its prayers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I wonder when IBM will switch Linux to clang so they can apply some of their proprietary optimizations

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

animist posted:

that instructs the C compiler to include St. Dio, patron of segmentation faults, in its prayers
:mad:
St Dio is obviously the patron of the Holy D(r)river
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvs2FzF64o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sassafras posted:

Alright, let's just take this line by line... First, what does "#include <stdio.h>" do?