Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i mean that phenomenon does seem intuitive to me. why would kids care about directories if they're not computer touchers nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ocean of Milk posted:

Having opened a js/ts thing in vscode recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually has "go to definition/ Implementation/references thing" and that sometimes it even works.

With regards to operating systems one should remember that Windows costs well over a hundred bucks to purchase in the cheapest version before comparing it to Linux which costs zero bucks in most versions (that come without support).
Windows being at the prizepoint of a reasonably serious piece of software, the comparison to linux shouldn't be as balanced as it is, windows should absolutely obliterate any free OS. But it doesn't, it's a weird user-hostile POS like we've accepted all OSs to be. It's just as quirky and finicky as the lunixes, only in a slightly different way. My god, imagine if any other 140$ piece of software showed you ads, people would go mental.

The fact that the windows command shell doesn't implement full regexp functionality and in fact alters it slightly from standard automatically makes it inferior to Linux by default.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the standard is posix regexes which is garbage that no one likes, and is on top of that poorly enough specifies to vary wildly between implementations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Perl is the de-facto standard for regexp. Powershell greatly conforms, grep has a -P switch to complement -E, and perl itself is available on most Linux installs. You can spend about an hour and learn enough perl to fully replace sed and awk in the commandline, or if this is for work you can not be a bastard and write a readable python script using perl regular expressions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Wisest Moron posted:

The fact that the windows command shell doesn't implement full regexp functionality and in fact alters it slightly from standard automatically makes it inferior to Linux by default.
It's deprecated

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Because of the nature of my work and the machines I'm working on, a lot of stuff I write has to work with stock Windows 7 utilities. It's sometimes very maddening, but it does put a stop on spiraling dependency issues at least.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

It's deprecated

oh poo poo I just filled in for "powershell" there.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Computers have kinda made the metaphor irrelevant/anachronistic. Most young people have never seen a massive filing room where everybody has to follow a filing system or stuff gets lost. My dad was a cable splicer and he had a filing cabinet with his own system for managing his affairs.

Everyone I know now has a box or drawer and relies on scans.

I’m in my 40s and I’ve never seen a “filing room” or learned a “filing system”. the metaphor has never been particularly strong (even unix filesystems don’t bear much resemblance to a physical cabinet) and I don’t think it matters

search is good (unless you’re windows lol) and files need to be taught

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

I’m in my 40s and I’ve never seen a “filing room” or learned a “filing system”. the metaphor has never been particularly strong (even unix filesystems don’t bear much resemblance to a physical cabinet) and I don’t think it matters

You never used a card catalogue?

mystes
May 31, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Kids these days

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

used in any real capacity? no

was exposed to early on in grade school under the guise of it being critical life information that, like cursive, was already extremely obsolete by the time i was in high school? yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Wisest Moron posted:

Because of the nature of my work and the machines I'm working on, a lot of stuff I write has to work with stock Windows 7 utilities.

powerful curse

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Wisest Moron posted:

Because of the nature of my work and the machines I'm working on, a lot of stuff I write has to work with stock Windows 7 utilities. It's sometimes very maddening, but it does put a stop on spiraling dependency issues at least.
PowerShell is built in and uses .net regular expressions which are perl style

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
clearly linux can appeal to the zoomers by getting rid of the antiquated filesystem metaphor and doubling down on using y and d to copy and cut text

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mystes posted:

PowerShell is built in and uses .net regular expressions which are perl style

I'm pretty sure powershell didn't get built in until Windows 10. I'll have to double check.

I probably could get away with adding it, I just like bitching about windows.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The_Franz posted:

used in any real capacity? no

was exposed to early on in grade school under the guise of it being critical life information that, like cursive, was already extremely obsolete by the time i was in high school? yes

Congrats, you were exposed to the concept of a filing system.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm pretty sure powershell didn't get built in until Windows 10. I'll have to double check.

I probably could get away with adding it, I just like bitching about windows.
That's not true although the version installed by default in windows 7 may be slightly older unless they changed that in an update.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if you're missing some commands in an older verison of ps, alot of stuff can be done by just accessing .net classes directly.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

just put tumbleweed on a new thinkpad and everything just works. even the recent realtek wifi adapter.

coming primarily from rhel and fedora, both yast and snapper seem cool.

linux is good. even german linux is good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

i mean that phenomenon does seem intuitive to me. why would kids care about directories if they're not computer touchers nowadays?
I don't think people are blaming the kids? Or at least I'm not.
I think people are just utterly astonished at how quickly it's changed.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

clearly linux can appeal to the zoomers by getting rid of the antiquated filesystem metaphor and doubling down on using y and d to copy and cut text
You joke, but they're working on implementing PGP in the kernel.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's been the trend since forever. The only system I ever used that utilized files/folders over a query-able indexed database was in college. All your information was stored in a formatted text file at the bottom of a hierarchy ten layers deep.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I saw a card catalog along the wall in my college library, but idk why I’d have used it when the computer terminal was right there, and I don’t remember it looking much like a directory structure

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

I saw a card catalog along the wall in my college library, but idk why I’d have used it when the computer terminal was right there
Your library must have had the catalog digitized very early. I'm not in my 40s yet and I had to use card catalogs for a few years.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Computers are going back to what they used to be, a tool for nerds and nothing else. So many people nowadays don' t have a computer, they just use their phone for everything so it's not surprising that this new generation don't know how to use them properly. It's fine even if it is weird to us aging geeks.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

I saw a card catalog along the wall in my college library, but idk why I’d have used it when the computer terminal was right there, and I don’t remember it looking much like a directory structure

Sure bub, sure.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Computers are going back to what they used to be, a tool for nerds and nothing else. So many people nowadays don' t have a computer, they just use their phone for everything so it's not surprising that this new generation don't know how to use them properly. It's fine even if it is weird to us aging geeks.

I should make sites that only work on computers

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Don't understand why familiarity with library card catalogues is especially helpful when the defining characteristic of computer filesystems is that items can be nested arbitrarily deeply

You might as well ask whether people have ever put sheets of paper into ringbinder files, or books on different shelves. The analogy to a computer fs is equally poor in all cases

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Kamrat posted:

i will gladly accept the job security

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's not an analogy. It's an example of a filing system. Cards are put into order according to criteria. The dewey decimal system at your library is a filing system as well as a classification system. When you start putting 10k pages in a binder, you're going to want to have a system in place for how they are inserted, otherwise you won't be able to find them.

Most young people have never needed to quickly find information in a room with 10K+ paper records. They've always been able to ask a computer to find it for them.

BTW there are computer file systems without a tree structure.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
remember winfs lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Amethyst posted:

remember winfs lol
It wasn't really a filesystem, despite its name - at least not in the same way that NTFS and ReFS are filesystems.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mystes posted:

That's not true although the version installed by default in windows 7 may be slightly older unless they changed that in an update.

Yup, turns out you're right. I'm an idiot lol.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Wisest Moron posted:

what do you mean “alters it slightly from standard” though

the Windows command shell syntax is the MS-DOS command shell syntax

the MS-DOS command shell syntax is the CP/M command shell syntax, with \ as a directory delimiter

the CP/M command shell syntax is the TOPS-10 command shell syntax

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also I want someone to make a modern thing using MPE style hierarchy to see what kinds of brains it breaks: FILE.DIRECTORY[.ACCOUNT[.USER]] where an “account” is kind of like a UNIX group

so you might have FY22Q2.PROJECTIONS.SALES.ESCHATON as a personal (rather than shared) file containing the Sales account’s projections for FY2022 Q2

the POSIX compatibility layer could turn that into /sales/projections/eschaton/fy22q2 or something along those lines automatically, but you could also add your own mappings via a “symlink” from the MPE path syntax to the desired POSIX syntax

it’s weird

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HP also used comma as their argument separator, with lots of use of keyword=value style arguments and space-separated lists

like RU,NEWUSR,ESCHATON,ACCOUNTS=SALES MANAGEMENT to run the NEWUSR program with the two given arguments

I think the executed program just got the arguments as text like UNIX though, not parsed into keyword/value pairs or lists or anything (though there may have been intrinsics (syscalls) to do so)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

HP also used comma as their argument separator, with lots of use of keyword=value style arguments and space-separated lists

like RU,NEWUSR,ESCHATON,ACCOUNTS=SALES MANAGEMENT to run the NEWUSR program with the two given arguments

I think the executed program just got the arguments as text like UNIX though, not parsed into keyword/value pairs or lists or anything (though there may have been intrinsics (syscalls) to do so)

must have been a mainframe convention, z/os has something similar with mvs commands, like to start websphere you have to run START BBO5DCR,JOBNAME=BBODMGR,ENV=PLEX1.PLEX1.BBODMGR

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

eschaton posted:

what do you mean “alters it slightly from standard” though

the Windows command shell syntax is the MS-DOS command shell syntax

the MS-DOS command shell syntax is the CP/M command shell syntax, with \ as a directory delimiter

the CP/M command shell syntax is the TOPS-10 command shell syntax

Sorry, when I said non-standard I basically just meant it didn't match what I was used to in Unix, and the base level had less functionality than I was used to on most stock unix installs with base permissions I've used.

I was wrong about the reason I stopped using it though. Had to check my notes ^^. It had some extra hoops I couldn't automate away easily with the end user so I found other options that worked out of the box. Minimal janitorial, minimal likely hood of calls at 3am.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

mystes posted:

Your library must have had the catalog digitized very early. I'm not in my 40s yet and I had to use card catalogs for a few years.

i guess? it was a clunky text mode terminal thing, probably running over telnet. felt old-fashioned at the time.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bring back khttpd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Soricidus posted:

i guess? it was a clunky text mode terminal thing, probably running over telnet. felt old-fashioned at the time.

the public library having the above was great. it was very fast and very easy to use, unlike the modern web thing that replaced it. plus, in the era before most libraries had their catalog online, i felt like a real hacker for telnetting into the library catalog to see if they had my book from home, and putting it on hold if they didnt, lol