Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

unwinding after a long day by reading email reports about my scheduled computer tasks

Nothing beats a glass of scotch and 30 emails about successful cron job completions after a long day at the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dunno if it's unclear but cron doesn't bother e-mailing you if there's no output

this is why a lot of utilities have a quiet mode that don't write anything out unless there's a problem

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

dunno if it's unclear but cron doesn't bother e-mailing you if there's no output

this is why a lot of utilities have a quiet mode that don't write anything out unless there's a problem

that is actually kinda worse?

no output is good output only when your output delivery mechanism is reliable. handling email on servers that aren't primarily mail servers means your output goes through a rube goldberg contraption for delivery.

is the mail daemon running? is it configured to relay to a smarthost? is that smarthost blacklisted? it my mail service accepting mail right now? is my mail service accessible? is my mail service marking the rare messages from cron as spam?

instead of worrying about configuring a mailer on every machine you control, how about shipping your job output -- both positive *and* negative -- to your log management/monitoring service. then you can be relatively confident your jobs are actually running, and the reason you aren't being notified otherwise isn't because you busted the mail daemon config on your non-mail server

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Routing mail from nullmailer to a real MTA is a problem that is embarassingly trivial.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Is this u?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that is actually kinda worse?

no output is good output only when your output delivery mechanism is reliable. handling email on servers that aren't primarily mail servers means your output goes through a rube goldberg contraption for delivery.

is the mail daemon running? is it configured to relay to a smarthost? is that smarthost blacklisted? it my mail service accepting mail right now? is my mail service accessible? is my mail service marking the rare messages from cron as spam?

instead of worrying about configuring a mailer on every machine you control, how about shipping your job output -- both positive *and* negative -- to your log management/monitoring service. then you can be relatively confident your jobs are actually running, and the reason you aren't being notified otherwise isn't because you busted the mail daemon config on your non-mail server

Those are all good points. There are many many ways to configure (and periodically test) an e-mail system to make sure mail gets delivered (including whitelisting hosts, whitelisting domains, forcing a username/password login over ssl to deliver mail, etc) which would take many pages and does not address the fact that some vocal users abhor e-mail.

Piping logs to syslog (using logger or whatever) is undoubtedly a better way of doing it as long as your logs are also looked at.

Ultimately, linux gives you a million and one ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

And each solution is wrong.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
how compatible is opensuse with proprietary printer drivers?

thinking i might install it whenever i can afford to build a desktop

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

euroshopper posted:

[whispering]oh nooooooooooooooo[/whispering]

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

euroshopper posted:

lol

just use CUPS from apple, inc. and ghostscript

also lol if your printer doesn't support or emulate postscript

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

[whispering]oh nooooooooooooooo[/whispering]

haha

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

just use CUPS from apple, inc. and ghostscript

i don't own any printers yet besides a spare wireless one for my macbook but ive been aware for a while that printer support can be sketchy depending on distro

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

modern printers support URF and PWG and maybe PCLm, PDF, or JPEG

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

new printers doesn't need drivers at all. printer drivers are considered deprecated now, and the package cups-filters has been moved from apple to openprinting.org.

openprinting has a nice article explaining the new ~driverless future~

https://openprinting.github.io/driverless/

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

proprietary printer drivers are often some random .sh spewing binaries everywhere, so you'll have to janitor that no matter what distro you choose

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pseudorandom name posted:

modern printers support URF and PWG and maybe PCLm, PDF, or JPEG

PDF is a subset of postscript, but most of the (laser) printers i've had at least emulate it, brother's version is called BRScript3. my latest lexmark has a legit ps interpreter though

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why would you own a printer just go to the library

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euroshopper posted:

i've had no issues with brother + tumbleweed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

PDF is a subset of postscript, but most of the (laser) printers i've had at least emulate it, brother's version is called BRScript3. my latest lexmark has a legit ps interpreter though

and PCLm is a subset of PDF

nobody cares

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i caved and bought a laser printer becausr the local library was shut for ages due to the pandemic

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You can usually print at UPS or FedEx too, or your local postal annex. I have to print like 3 things a year, used do it at work before full time remote, totally not worth a $300 printer and paying for a new ink cartridge basically every time I'd have to print because somehow they dry up in like 48 hours

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

and PCLm is a subset of PDF

nobody cares

huh, interesting, it's some streamable thing from the wifi alliance. i didn't know about that and just assumed it was related to old-school PCL

so i guess... i cared?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Crow posted:

<taps the global worldfucking pandemic sign once again>

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. Crow posted:

You can usually print at UPS or FedEx too, or your local postal annex. I have to print like 3 things a year, used do it at work before full time remote, totally not worth a $300 printer and paying for a new ink cartridge basically every time I'd have to print because somehow they dry up in like 48 hours

think you got some wires crossed here, everyone recommends a $300 laser because the $60 loss leader inkjets all dry out between printing as you say. it's not a problem with a laser printer.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op if your computer is connected to the internet it should fetch the proper drivers from windows update when you plug it in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op if your computer is connected to the internet it should fetch the proper drivers from windows update when you plug it in

wine supports driverless printing via cups, op. sounds like your windows is broken if you need drivers

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

$60 used brother laser from the electronics recycling store going strong after 5 years without even replacing the toner cartridge it came with supremacy. raspberry pi print server makes it an airprint target and I often find myself printing from my iPhone instead of trying to figure out why windows forgot it this time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally I can stop using find. Throw it on the pile with cron

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

how dare you. i use a combination of find and cat in cron to email my current finger to my blog and it works just fine. why does everyone keep trying to replace my amazing pipeline cribbed from a guy who died 10 years ago

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

of course it's written in rust

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

how dare you. i use a combination of find and cat in cron to email my current finger to my butt and it works just fine.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i challenge anyone to spend a minute considering the fragment of find they know, the fragment they know exists but they can't remember, and then imagining the fragment that surely exists but you've never even heard of, and then to post claiming that this is a fine and good tool that does not need replacement.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i always mix up the {} \; order the first time i run a find with exec.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
r/commandline is absolutely filthy with all these 'replacement for find/sed/grep' hobbyprojects and theyre always written in some dogshit language and all the flags are incompatible but somebody posts some `time` output that says its 0.002 seconds faster in this one cherry picked operation but you have to spend 7 hours retooling any scripts using the old tools and ugh gently caress this i'm just sticking with what i have

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i simply use find and pipe into egrep or sed anyway so this is a big improvement for me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

r/commandline is absolutely filthy with all these 'replacement for find/sed/grep' hobbyprojects and theyre always written in some dogshit language and all the flags are incompatible but somebody posts some `time` output that says its 0.002 seconds faster in this one cherry picked operation but you have to spend 7 hours retooling any scripts using the old tools and ugh gently caress this i'm just sticking with what i have

it’s a drop in replacement! (that requires you to feed it a bunch of esoteric flags to hopefully maintain compatibility in the best case)

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
decided i will probably install manjaro for my work pc because it seems to be maintained fairly well despite what ive been warned abt

there are hundreds of videos complaining abt how unfriendly some of the community managers are, so that's what took me a while to research further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ally oopOS

(but seriously debian)