Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it's because debian is good. they even have it in the microsoft store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

eschaton posted:

use EmuTOS or FreeMiNT on Hatari on console as your desktop environment

I really do wish this was possible. I wanna run GEM on linux. :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that's... exactly what those do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

it's because debian is good. they even have it in the microsoft store

its too expensive tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is the corsair stuff because there is a proprietary driver or something? Fedora has always a huge pain in the rear end with stuff like that. It does look like you can download it though.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ckb-next

Idk that would be my only guess for why your keyboard isn't working. :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is the corsair stuff because there is a proprietary driver or something? Fedora has always a huge pain in the rear end with stuff like that. It does look like you can download it though.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ckb-next

Idk that would be my only guess for why your keyboard isn't working. :shrug:

i doubt it, by default debian doesn't include proprietary stuff either. you can enable a repo afterwards but it probably wouldn't work out of the box

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that looks like its a driver for all the rgb + modification stuff you could do on a keyboard so thats probably not the issue either V_V

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
debian links to a firmware iso on the download page if you have issues installing, and i think it's been decided already that deb12+ will just ship with firmware that isn't too insane about licenses

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that looks like its a driver for all the rgb + modification stuff you could do on a keyboard so thats probably not the issue either V_V

yeah i honestly don't know what would make a regular rear end HID not work, but it's pretty funny lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i honestly don't know what would make a regular rear end HID not work, but it's pretty funny lol

it's possible that there is something weird in the hid descriptor that older kernels didn't catch, but newer ones take a harder stance on

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah if i were going from a newer kernel to an older one then it would still be really weird but i wouldn't be quite as baffled, here it just makes zero sense

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gamer keyboards implement N-key rollover by using a custom HID report descriptor that includes every single key instead of the HID Boot Protocol that can only do 6 plus modifiers; I wonder if there’s is particularly hosed up or if they do something stupid where they present a HID BP descriptor to the UEFI firmware and the. do a mode change when it detects windows and they’ve messed that up somehow

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

why would anyone press more than 6 keys

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

gamer keyboards implement N-key rollover by using a custom HID report descriptor that includes every single key instead of the HID Boot Protocol that can only do 6 plus modifiers; I wonder if there’s is particularly hosed up or if they do something stupid where they present a HID BP descriptor to the UEFI firmware and the. do a mode change when it detects windows and they’ve messed that up somehow

Shaggar posted:

my keyboard works fine on windows without needing to do anything

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i remember my friends keyboard in highschool was so lovely it couldn't do 3 key rollover

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

why would anyone press more than 6 keys

playing street fighter on the keyboard and pianoing inputs?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

playing street fighter on the keyboard and pianoing inputs?

if you're pianoing inputs you're not pressing them all at the same time, idiot. also why the gently caress are you playing street fighter with a keyboard. poser rear end motherfucker, you don't know poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mycophobia posted:

if you're pianoing inputs you're not pressing them all at the same time, idiot. also why the gently caress are you playing street fighter with a keyboard. poser rear end motherfucker, you don't know poo poo

don’t sign your posts

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nudgenudgetilt posted:

really seems like that one is one the keyboard mfg rather than linux

the usb-hid standard has only been in place 25 years

At least my issue with keychron isn't complicated. This is all the systemd file does:

[Unit]
Description=The command to make the Keychron K2-k4 work with Function keys

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "echo 0 > /sys/module/hid_apple/parameters/fnmode"

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

does the keyboard have a mac/win switch? pretty sure mine is on win, but yours is using the apple driver

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

don’t sign your posts

aw drat, can't come up with an actual response huh. maybe shut the gently caress up next time and stay in your lane instead of trying to come back with weak poo poo like this, pussy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah you could probably probe it a bit in /dev or /sys but i'm not sure how useful that would be if you don't know much about usb to begin with

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

also, using bash/systemd for that is weird. its a kernel module option. that poo poo belongs in your modprobe config as something like "options hid_apple fnmode=0"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk, it's just a module option toggle. i don't think it's particularly wrong but it's pretty lazy

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
No no no. You're skinning the cat wrong!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mycophobia posted:

:rip: akadajet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nah dude doesn’t know what pianoing is. and people play fighting games on keyboard all of the time. not on linux though because it doesn’t support gaming keyboards (or games)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the biggest issue with it is that it's a foot gun at some point in the future

it isn't common to set module options in a service unit, and can be confusing down the road.

really not an issue on a machine with one user/admin, but its good to avoid getting in the habit of leaving footguns for others

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

akadajet posted:

nah dude doesn’t know what pianoing is. and people play fighting games on keyboard all of the time. not on linux though because it doesn’t support gaming keyboards (or games)

pretty sure ps4 and ps5 run bsd

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

nah dude doesn’t know what pianoing is.

:dafuq: lol please enlighten me then

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

pretty sure ps4 and ps5 run bsd

I guess there are some edge cases for linux then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean yeah bsd isn't exactly linux but a shitload of stuff does use Actual Linux specifically for playing games

like it or not "lol linux can't play games" is a stale rear end take that hasn't been remotely true for over a decade

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nudgenudgetilt posted:

does the keyboard have a mac/win switch? pretty sure mine is on win, but yours is using the apple driver

Yeah it does. If I switch it to windows then the super key and alt are on the right ones, but the function keys don't work. If I switch it to macos the function keys work but the super key and alt are mixed up. With this script I leave it on windows, super and alt are on the right keys, and function works.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
anyways im just being a dick for no reason, sorry. not a good thing to try to derive joy from

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

akadajet posted:

mycophobia posted:

Sounds like you need to square off in street fighter so we know who's right.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mycophobia posted:

rolling your fingers across inputs to increase your odds of performing an action. you know, something that will cause inputs to maybe overlap

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

Sounds like you need to square off in street fighter so we know who's right.

I’d lose bigly

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

rolling your fingers across inputs to increase your odds of performing an action. you know, something that will cause inputs to maybe overlap

yeah but even if you're not doing it particularly efficiently and mashing three buttons at the same time plus holding a diagonal or something that's only 5 inputs at once

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

I’d lose bigly

maybe not, i dont even play fighting games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mycophobia posted:

maybe not, i dont even play fighting games lol

i haven’t in years. I had ssf2t on pc as a kid. keyboard is all I had