Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Trying to install Arch for the first time whilst also tired, I now have a computer with no network connection that I can't download a package to fix because...no network.

(I know I can drop back into the live USB and fix it, I'm just marvelling at my ability to cut the branch I'm standing on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
For what it's worth, I'm only trying Arch out of desperation after experiencing the "Linux has no sound lol!" meme in reality for the first time ever under Debian. I have never touched it before and expect my chances of success are minimal.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

sb hermit posted:

this is a joke suggestion but if you have a usb wireless or wired ethernet then that might be a good crutch for now.

Also, you can install ubuntu, which just works.

Look if I can't spend hours hand-crafting my own hostname file and agonising over which network manager to forget to install, what is even the point of doing a Linux?

If I wanted poo poo to just work I'd use the best Linux: Windows

(Realtalk I tried Ubuntu first and was rewarded with no video trying to use the amdgpu driver. Debian gave me video but no sound over HDMI, which is workable in a pinch but not ideal so I figured I'd go for broke with Arch before I give up).

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Progressive JPEG posted:

here are the correct choices in arch linux imo:
- networkmanager

I'm glad my tactic of picking the most generic sounding option has paid off.

Boring update: it works! I can finally get that sweet sweet upscaled N64 emulator action going in both sound and vision.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sapozhnik posted:

are you sure about that

I woke my partner up at 11 last night by accidentally blasting the Goldeneye theme. I'd cranked the TV volume all the way up loving around with another distro and forgot to turn it back down :shobon:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Soricidus posted:

linux users watch anime because it’s guaranteed to have subtitles

:discourse:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

BattleMaster posted:

boot into recovery mode

This is what I used to call it if I hit my head drinking and my previously-concussed rear end would just zonk out and stare into space for 15-20 mins

Luckily the only lasting damage was a willingness to use linux and permanent o_0 pupils

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Hah nope, I'm quite tall and had to duck through the doorframes of the Victorian house I lived in at uni

Apparently when I'm drunk my 'duck' reflex stops working

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I had to reinstall NVIDIA drivers on one machine and force mpv to use x11 instead of wayland, but besides that everything was butter.

I had to do the Nvidia driver shuffle too, but other than that it went without a hitch. For my first ever in-place Linux upgrade I'm pretty impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

That loving Sned posted:

Bleeding edge only seems necessary if you have the latest hardware like a CPU with efficiency cores, need to develop software with certain packages or want to play games. I just use a stable distro with flatpak to get relatively up-to-date software. Using an Arch based distro just meant getting gigabytes of updates per week and having to backup before each one in case something breaks.

Hey now, it's also useful if you're trying to do dumb poo poo with old hardware; the only way I could get vulkan to work on an old Radeon card I have is Arch + experimental drivers

That's just a plaything though and I use it so infrequently Arch has gotten stroppy and refused to update once or twice because it's fallen so far behind what's current