Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this is design by committee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

somebody go demand that Debian conform to RFC 2119

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what policy lead to the 4960 texlive packages in fedora?

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 7, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the internals can be fixed, it's all the POSIX API stuff that we're stuck with and is terrible

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

(i had a Windows 7 BSOD while composing this post. go figure. the partially composed text was there when I restarted firefox though so that's pretty neat)

:psyduck:

I am amazed that this is still an issue in 2014. Like, HD Audio has been standardised for years and years now. Windows has a generic driver for HD Audio controllers so I'm guessing Linux should have one too, why doesn't it work?

HD Audio may be a standard, but it is cheaper to just do whatever and ship a customized Windows driver the deals with your Chinese shitbox's quirks instead of altering the hardware

fortunately our lord and savior Steve pbuh has solved printing by requiring IPP and PDF

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's already a native gallium d3d9 driver and most of a d3d10 driver, wine explicitly rejected it and it's gone nowhere since

Intel not using gallium probably didn't help, and neither does everybody using nvidia's driver instead of Mesa

the irritating thing is that the gallium driver outperforms the GL emulation because you can just set the bit that says "behave like d3d9" (or d3d10) instead of jumping through hoops to accomplish the same thing with the "behave like OpenGL" bit set

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes, let us use all of the DPIs to draw monochromatic rectangles

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

we are at an impasse

personally open/write/close is nicer than open/ioctl(fd,MAGIC_NUMBER_LOL,data)/close and friends

but i guess if u rly hate urself.

hint: there is no difference between passing a struct to write and passing a struct ioctl

well, except for how you can do multiple partial writes. except when you can't.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I tried and pushed really hard to get Red Hat management to allow us to ship it. They didn't budge, for legal and philosophy reasons. As a direct result of this and plenty of other things where we just aren't allowed to ship a good user experience out of the box, I left Red Hat.

I'm confused, did you want them to just ignore the patent and risk the lawsuit or eat the royalty fee on behalf of your users?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh well apparently wikipedia thinks the patents are all expired around 2015-2017 anyway

then there's just AAC, H.264, that other MPEG4 profile nobody uses anymore since H.264 exists, VC-1, WMA, and whatever is coming next like H.265

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

aac/wma dont matter imo

AAC matters if you want to watch a H.264 video

that reminds me, add AC-3 to the list

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

interactive terminals were deprecated in the last release and have now been removed. please feed your 50 lines of commands into systemd-shelld.

serious post: running a VT100 emulator in kernel mode makes about as much sense as rendering TrueType fonts in kernel mode

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's our other computer model. The lower cost, ARM-based one.

so it comes with libreoffice preinstalled?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe they should think more about fixing the cause (garbage libs whose regressions are going undetected/ignored) instead of the symptom (apps that use those garbage libs having version-specific problems)

also there's already a version numbering system for dynamically linked libraries (albeit one that mostly goes by convention)

there's a guide on how to make proper shared libraries, almost nobody follows it. its purely an upstream problem.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, and the reason Fedora has that unbundling policy is that they don't want to deal with hundreds of different upstream packages embedding vulnerable versions of zlib willy-nilly again

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would you put the encryption in the drive, that's idiotic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

windows is designed for pre-built non-upgradable purely disposable computers that have their disks imaged in the factory, any other scenario is a half-assed afterthought

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the thing about windows is even if you build a diy machine out of salteens and alibaba reject parts it'll still boot to desktop and actually be usable

unless you have to install the bespoke network drivers from the motherboard DVD in order to download working GPU drivers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how poo poo are we talking?

does it come with illustrated instructions on disabling the WHQL certification check before you install drivers?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, the hard part is transparently migrating apps from one GPU to the other.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

i used a real old mac for a job one summer years ago and i actually kinda liked the way the spatial finder used to work. it was pretty efficient.

but ... yeah, you had to have the whole os designed around it. you couldn't just bolt it onto an existing unix, already packed to the gills with deep folder hierarchies, and expect it to work.

macs close the entire folder hierarchy when you shift click the close button and have spring loaded folders, two things spatial never had

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how skeuomorphic!!

seriously tho what does it mean?

drag a file onto a folder, the folder window opens, repeat on as many subfolders as you want, release the file in the destination folder, all the folders opened during the drag and drop close automatically

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Windows Explorer save/open dialogs basically perfected the formula, GNOME should've copied that, but that would've required Nautilus being some kind of reusable component

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it had some CORBA monstrosity that I think has been completely abandoned because it was a CORBA monstrosity

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but how will I put my spreadsheet in my presentation???!!!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ator posted:

Fresh install is working great.

also:

du and df have an option:
-h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format

It's off by default.

turning that on by default can theoretically break shell scripts that parse their output; stick BLOCK_SIZE=human-readable in your environment and all the GNU utilities will default to it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and freebsd has no users anymore so software doesn't get tested on it the way it used to

what are you talking about, freebsd has had a massive influx of new users with the release of the playstation 4

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what?

how do you deprecate minimising

you remove the minimize and maximize buttons from the window frame like an rear end in a top hat and then as an additional gently caress you to your users you start making apps draw their own window frames in order to ignore the hidden dconf preference that isn't even in Tweak Tool

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's in Tweak Tool, and CSD apps respect it.

the actual dconf pref isn't a pair of booleans and Tweak Tool isn't capable of fully configuring it and I don't know what a CSD app is, but all the GNOME apps that draw their own title bar using the lovely adwaita theme ignore the pref entirely

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

bro Suspicious Dish just posted a screenshot demonstrating that you're full of poo poo apparently mistaken and you respond by reiterating what you said the first time

maybe it was broken on 3.12 or 3.10 idk

gnome 3 is a real late bloomer tho there's no denying that.

I was phone posting and Awful.app lost the ability to zoom in on images in iOS 8.

Have a screenshot:

Oh, and the old version of Tweak Tool didn't have two booleans, it had a drop down menu that it rendered a single pixel high because it couldn't match menu:minimize,maximize,close to any of its options and then didn't bother to set any of them to be active. (Not that this matters now except as an amusing and typical failure mode.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is this GNOME 3.12?

3.12? unreleased software? what do you take me for, a Gentoo user?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a time traveler.

http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/03/gnome-3-12-released/

quote:

GNOME 3 is available to install through most GNU/Linux distributions. Many offer the chance to try a demo before you install.
Fedora
Fedora provides GNOME 3 straight out of the box – just install or try it live. Fedora 20 includes GNOME 3.10.

openSUSE
GNOME 3 can be selected when installing the latest version of openSUSE. The latest version, openSUSE 13.1, includes GNOME 3.10.

Ubuntu GNOME
Ubuntu GNOME is an official Ubuntu flavour which provides a complete GNOME 3 experience. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 includes GNOME 3.10.

Many other distributions also include GNOME 3, including Debian and Arch Linux. Arch includes the latest GNOME version, 3.12.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I agree, but only because you used "acceptable" instead of "good"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Move to workspace below, press Backspace to delete the default binding.

The default binding is Super+PageDown, there's no config option anywhere for Ctrl-Alt-Down

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's interesting. I can't reproduce that behavior here. I verified we're dropping the grab, too. I'll investigate more tonight.

That's because you're running pre-release software.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

also if you're involved in gnome dev who the gently caress decided to put a hot corner in the top left and not provide any way to configure it. and the default thing it does is the same action as going into the corner and clicking? saves u a click i guess but for idiots with 2 monitors it is hell

pointer barriers should make it Just Work™ in multi-monitor configurations

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nah, it's called the hot corner

pointer barriers are an X feature where apps can declare horizontal or vertical lines on the screen that the mouse cursor can't be moved across from one or both directions

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fritz posted:

oh hey excellent choice making 1 the 'enable everything' instead of -1

that's for backwards compatibility, the bit field was added later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all i know is lennart poettering was involved

so it's a vital public service that you poo poo all over it on slashdot as often as possible. good for karma too

wait

slashdot still exists?