Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thats a lot of effort for a linux, idk if ive seen that much trying since i tried to compile a lovely driver for my slackware install in 1999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

didnt it tank because nobody wanted linux, then they switched to windows but it was some lol version?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

more importantly if they were in an area where anything of value wasn't immediately taken by warlords they already had cellular connections and windows computers

sounds like their warlords were just nokia and microsoft then

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

click in :getin:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a clean desktop is a sign of an organized person :shobon:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

console linux has been every year

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

black and gold is beautiful_

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hifi posted:

you can try rolling back an operation with dnf history

glad to see something good came out of that duke nukem reboot

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

it is now

language is funny that way

now its

funy language

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tankakern posted:

the dll hell is still there, it's just abstracted behind winsxs, bloating the os to new extremes, making every version of every dll released ever available

*suddenly the folder opens and every version of every dll, support library, and shared file come in carrying a cake and followed by all the best shared file perms*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Athas posted:

Warning: this is an off-topic Mac desktop post.

Also, Steve Jobs decided that if you select your monitor as the audio output source (mine has a convenient audio plug)

is it connected via something like hdmi or displayport? i think the system assumes the source is a tv monitor at that point and punts it to the local controls. good for conference rooms and bad for desks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Suspicious Dish posted:

you'd love my actual desktop then

why do you need windirstat when all your files are right there???

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fiedler posted:

Huge VSTS fans, I assume.

i read this as a tribes voice command and was very confused ('im deploying sensors')

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dont install duke nukem forever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Helicity posted:

that sounds like me. i fondly look back on the days of breaking the dialup configuration on the family computer and being unable to use bitchx

my first distro was also slackware and i remember having to find my nic drivers on windows, using a floppy diskette to transfer them, then figuring out how to compile and use them :allears:

that was the same summer i learned about networking with a very cheap hub, as well as multibooting so i could try other distros. it was also an impressively warm summer so my computer had a box fan cooling it for the majority of my time as i sat patiently

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ratbert90 posted:

OS X still doesn’t have snap Windows. what the gently caress

theres some apps that add it and have for a while but ive been using it less with the two full screen apps since thats more what i want normally

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

year of linux (no, no that one) on the wristwatch

https://asteroidos.org/

excuse me its called gnu/timex

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pram posted:

this guy needs a suspicious amount of encryption

tangentially linux: when os x 10.5 released i ran into a mac user that was inordinately excited to has a seven pass shred delete option for the trash and it was literally the only feature he cared for or (unprompted) talked about with me including a long pause when he alt clicked and looked at the option on the trash

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

the colonel img

11 secret blocks and userspaces

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the real secret is linus is on a windows or mac with smart quotes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jit bull transpile posted:

remember pcmcia slots?

i still have my orinoco silver and external antenna somewhere :3:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

r u ready to WALK posted:

nurse, bring me the delibrelator!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods ban this stupid bot please i dont need hot take gifs from 2011

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Broken Machine posted:

steam on os x has been fairly non-functional for a while as well, for similar reasons. steam could do a lot better at supporting linux and os x, but all the games run windows so mostly it just works best on windows. although it actually works fairly well on arch too and you can use either the runtime or native

i think their beta client is the 64 one but it drops things like in home streaming. it seemed to run a lot better so maybe theyve decided to do more than push gifs in ads and hat sales

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my bitter bi rival posted:

Ligma gnuts... b i t c h

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

I started on mandrake Linux :smug:

slackware lol. everything after seemed so easy

ratbert90 posted:

I started with Slackware on a stack of floppies. :smug:

nice! i think i still remember the nic version I had to track down the source for and compile to get online

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

finder's had tabbing for years

it also has column view, which is the best view

i like me a good drill down view and horizontal is nice. this is one feature id pay to add to any other os

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

it stopped being worth the risk when I got a real job and could just afford all the software I wanted

its this. an older guy at work would tell me about he would pirate movies all the time, he just had to remove the viruses occasionally (not flatten and reinstall, yes it was their main computer)

like what the heck, just pay 99 cents for the film and stop leaking your banking info to various latent worms overlooked by your likely pirated av. pretty sure his wifes card would get popped at least once a year

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

... which allegedly doesn’t actually use them lol

rtx everything is a tech demo sure. rtx reflections and lighting looked pretty good in control I guess? it’s not going to catch on unless amd get their equivalent working in next gen consoles and it turns out to be compatible somehow tho, and yeah that’s not happening

yeah, control does look spiffy with it but even decent setups have fps issues so its not always a great experience. the game looks great without the rtx though and toggling it for comparison (1070ti) didnt make it feel like i was visually missing anything

Shaggar posted:

it definitely improves things tho so it will be cool in a few card generations when its viable.

if its around in a few years itll be to the point that its going to be a real boon to realistic rendering

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

hurry up folks we’ve still got a few days to make this happen

i have several linux on my desktop next to my computer as well as next to my headphones and lamp

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

psiox posted:

they were for a hot minute

i bet all their revenue comes from thinkgeek now

do they still have thinkgeek or was it sold when they rolled it into gamestop?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Xik posted:

Is this ironic or just real bad

its gnu/linux op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Skim Milk posted:

*sees nginx chat*

...so how about that systemd haha am I right guys?

systemdeez gnuts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Linux nerds have had almost 30 years now to make a desktop that works. if they haven’t managed by now, they won’t. time to shut freedesktop.org down and strip it for parts

redirect it to microsoft.com because windows 10 is free

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

from the article and what id seen of the pinebook pro earlier theres a lot of quality issues emerging now that weren't there initially

those issues weren't issues in the even cheaper $100 model that they've been making ir the initial run so it sounds a lot like the supplier cutting corners in assembly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

whoa, I can't imagine the nightmare of auto translated QA communications :(

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

iirc its nearly at-cost too, or at a very low profit and without the normal google/ms subsidies to drive down hardware expenses

its a quickly little thing and i hope they can get these issues sorted soon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bored Online posted:

zune had an fm tuner which kicked rear end

the inline remote fm tuner for the ipods was a pro add but having it built in is way nicer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shoeberto posted:

What a bunch of turds. Fat32 is all you need.

if we're talking about turds, you're going to have to split your posts in half on fat32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:hehe: