Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've a feeling this bug is more of a windows issue than a firefox issue (half the clip is setup, fast-forward to 0:40 for the action):

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1263543762409492480

also windows sandbox is an actually cool tool for testing poo poo like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I have written beautiful code once. It's perfect, handles all exceptions properly, is easy to read, has very little indentation, does one thing and it does it well, is documented with help output and all. It covers a lot of edge cases without becoming complex and it uses no confusing language features.

It serves as great contrast to everything else. I read it sometimes and weep in despair.

unsure whether this is hubris or arrogance. there is no good code, yospos bithc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I've snuck it into the ansible role common to every single linux computer in our org.

in my last position at one of our customers i built a small static infra portal website for peeps to access tools and hid an ASCII art wu-tang clan logo at the end of the CSS file. people really liked the portal so it got copied around to a few of our other customers so wu-tang is now truly forever

edit: vvv my SSID at home is named "Wu-Tang LAN" which i'm pretty sure i stole from someone here vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

P sure there is a cowsay mod to fortune anyway, just use that

cowsay is a separate package these days. also it's enabled in ansible by default, a truly bizarre decision and a point of contention since forever: https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/reference_appendices/faq.html#how-do-i-disable-cowsay

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

isn’t ansible instantly disqualified because it’s not declarative

I wish yaml would get its poo poo together somehow to make indenting less of a rollercoaster. like can’t they extend it so it’s basically the same but you can use brackets if you want

IDK about that declarative poo poo, ansible works for me and honestly when it comes to complicated network automation it's dope. it does have it's issues, some caused by using yaml and others just because it's STILL a relatively immature project.

for the former, ansible can use jinja2 in-line to do text transforms and poo poo. this sometimes turns into escaping-hell. for the latter, breaking changes appear in every minor release, there appears to be little stability, especially when all the actual modules which do the heavy-lifting are considered ancillary. a recent example is 2.10 is now somewhat enforcing collection namespacing for modules which has hilariously broken backwards compatibility of their own documentation.

oh and don't get me started on the trash fire that is AWX, the downstream open-sores version of Red Hat Ansible Tower. this caused some consternation when they just changed the previously neutral and professional looking logo to this bullshit with seemingly no oversight: https://github.com/ansible/awx/issues/3942

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Soricidus posted:

lol @ “ansible works for me”

there are graybeards perfectly comfortable writing perl scripts that they run over manual ssh connections. I’m sure it works very well for them but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else

you can do carpentry by beating in screws with the handle of a screwdriver too

you've yet to provide a cohesive reason as to why it's bad beyond you hate yaml for some reason. you've also suggested no alternatives.

i'm all ears

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi, all config mgmt and IaC solutions are nothing more than a miserable pile of scripts in various languages packaged into modules that define the interfaces which are then cobbled together into some kinda DSL or "template" which you pass to a binary that does the thing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

use packer. cloud-config per-boot scripts if you need to do config based on values not known until runtime

out of interest how many individual different packer images do you maintain?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xtal posted:

Hacker News?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

how long have you been in your current role?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

on aws i just use amazon linux 2. downstream from fedora, has SSM agent already installed, who gives a poo poo aye

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yesterday i discovered that the gitlab RPM repo config script (https://about.gitlab.com/upgrade-to-package-repository/) doesn't correctly detect amazon linux 2 and so it just gives you the el6 repos which are now cooked. rude imo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've been working with gitlab a fair bit over the last 12 months and i gotta say, as far as OSS projects it's one of the best. i mean, gently caress:

quote:

GitLab has been releasing on the 22nd of the month for the last 112 months straight!

in the last year i've only encountered 3 issues that were really hosed: one i managed to fix myself after sufficient digging (nulls in a table column causing a migration job to fail, just updated the table and bam), another is fixed in 13.8 and the third one is only affecting one repo on our instance so i'm pretty sure it's a bizarre edge case and will just raise an issue.

we're using the free edition as well and i tell you what, we've had far more issues with poo poo that we actually pay for

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xtal posted:

Turn it into an RSS feed service and sell it to goons for :10bux:

i did that for the lepers colony ages ago: https://pileofgarbage.net/leperscolonyrss/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey hbag, welcome to the pos.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

thinking about rebuilding my personal VPS, it's currently running ubuntu, works perfectly and have had zero issues but i'm maybe thinking about switching distros to fedora or something downstream from fedora. i guess i've just been using a lot of centos/rhel/amazon linux at work and it's kinda grown on me.

is there anything fun or cool in fedora or other downstream distros? this is purely for my personal VPS that does some light web-hosting and general fuckin around (i do want to start using docker on it in the near future).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Kill two birds with one stone and install centos (or perhaps rhel these days) and learn podman

i thought centos was effectively dead? also doesn't rhel require some kinda license or something?

edit: this is a linode VPS so i guess a comedy option would be installing amazon linux 2

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does the free rhel come with kpatch (is that even a licensed feature)?

e: vvv cool cheers vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Athas posted:

So Linux absolutely does not lead to healthy weight, but I think for computer touchers, running some janky Linux distro does give you practice at reading (or reconstructing) docs, debugging things that should already work, and generally practice skills that you'll need sooner or later anyway. Worked for me, so I tell the students at our department that it's worth running for this reason alone.

Also, I remember once running some statistics and discovering that people who used Unix linebreaks in their assignments for some course got higher grades on average for that course, compared to those who used DOS linebreaks. That's probably more muddled now with WSL and macOS being so popular.

source your quotes