Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

theultimo posted:

Kde 5.0 plasma desktop I the best Linux

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

froward posted:

wow such driver, many game!!

after several years of using lunix (mint and ubuntu, the most accessible and well supported things apparently) on my poo poo, I am building a workstation and going to put Windoze on it.

because there is no good music player for linux. none. really.

let's go over the list:

clementine: quite polished looking, actually! supports streaming from tons of places! well, in theory anyway. many of the Features don't work, including many streams, music player support, shortcut keys. has no way to browse albums. replaygain usually works.

rhythmbox: love the interface. unfortunately replaygain is garbage. crashes at random. sometimes impossible to close without using terminal. made three copies of every song in my library that i tried to move to my ipod.

banshee: somehow corrupted a bunch of music. HOW??? I JUST WANT YOU TO PLAY IT. ugh

all of em suffer from random crashes, being impossible to close, trying to do everything poorly instead of a few things well. none of them are able to do global shortcuts properly (I like to use my numpad to play/pause/skip)

there's also Deadbeef which is modeled on foobar2000. its kinda dead, and only hosted on sourceforge, but I'm gonna give it a shot (foreshadowing intensifies)

anyway thats my bitchpost thanks for reading

EDIT: almost forgot the libreoffice bug where the application will crash, delete your document AND the backup copy, and this is somehow just a 'known bug, happens sometimes'. amazing. in the year of our potato 2016.

install audacious for that winamp clone goodness

foobar2k in wine was also suggested, that works surprisingly well

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

did anyone every fork xmms when they stopped updating it 10 years ago? that was a nice player since it was just a carbon copy of winamp.

as i said, audacious. remember to choose the classic interface.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

James Baud posted:

After reading some blog post where all of KDE/Plasma 5's major failings were blamed on distros sucking at getting bug fixes to users, I did some research on the alternatives to get current version packages and found myself installing Gentoo in a Hyper-V VM to screw around.

Since apparently ityool 2016 they don't believe in scripted installers lest you foolishly expect to just pick some packages and step away without watching the compiler output and lots of little details are busted like dependencies and their default "same as the live CD" kernel config actually not being the same (it was very conveniently missing all the Hyper-V drivers), it only took me a week or so of 15-60 minutes per night to complete the install.

The funny thing is that the end result in a VM actually is far more responsive than the native KDE5 I'm using on a Debian stretch dev PC...

I didn't even unroll the loops!

Nice! Posting this from Plasma 5 on Gentoo too, works nicely. With systemd too!

My biggest irk with Plasma 5 were that the keychain didn't unlock when you logged in, making you type your password twice. That's fixed now, but you have to install a PAM module and put the right line in /etc/pam.d/sddm ...

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Lysidas posted:

yeah i try to excise/disable all of the indexing poo poo from KDE, it is difficult on a distro where everything is compiled ahead of time and linked against that stuff, and apt-get uninstalling stuff like baloo/akonadi wants to take the whole KDE desktop with it

hmm i wonder if theres a gentoo USE flag that could be disabled to omit this stuff when building plasma 5, no way im gonna switch any of my desktop machines to gentoo but now i am curious

USE="-semantic-desktop"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

But that's baloo (earlier nepomuk) and such, and you still have to disable baloo manually.

But I think you don't get akonadi and such on gentoo as long as you don't install kdepim.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

if you use libinput instead of evdev you get some palm detection. it also finally added no acceleration, so it's even usable!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i2c takes a lot less power than ps/2 to run, that's why

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ps/2 is just for fallback so it works with generic drivers

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just to add to this i2c discussion - it's the switch to i2c that forces you over to at least windows 8 on newer dells if you don't want a lovely generic non-adjustable touchpad with no palm-detection. i2c devices uses some new hid driver framework in windows that was first introduced with windows 8.

it took some time before these devices were supported by linux, but synaptics finally got their rmi4 driver in shape enough to be included in kernel 3.16, so it's been there a little while.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

systemd is extremely ftw but i'm not going to blindly assume that everything poettering does is great

i'm rather worried about poettering's obsession with btrfs for instance, because i feel like i'm going to get my arm twisted into using btrfs before long and it's a lovely filesystem for any sort of nontrivial application.

lol that first link was benchmarking postgres without nocow, and then brushing off that it worked nicely if you just enabled it. it's not weird at all that cow is slow when used for dbs.

and that second link whines about the same, and systemd fixed it a long time ago by automatically setting the dirs as nocow

btrfs owns, unfortunately you have to janitor it a bit if you run applications that appends a lot of data to files, e.g. vm, db and logservers

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

how is Gentoo doing these days anywho

used it as a daily driver for many years now, it's doing pretty well if you use it with a systemd-enabled profile.

you still have to be prepared to janitor it a lot though, but I haven't encountered any system trashing stuff since I tried to switch chost a long time ago.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

kde plasma 5 owns

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Install Gentoo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Apocadall posted:

tracert is windows, traceroute is linux

the best is mtr

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

then don't loving install fglrx, it's the only things its good at. it sucks at 2D.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the opensource amd gpu drivers are actually best at everything else than 3D, and even with 3D it's often good enough. fglrx is only for ~hardcore linux gaming~ or CAD

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fglrx are deprecated in ubuntu now too

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do you pronounce fglrx "figglerix"?

i just say fire-gee-ell

fglrx stands for FireGL and Radeon for X

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

it's a copy-on-write fs that completely shits the bed performance-wise if you try to store anything nontrivial on it like a database or (ironically) a systemd binary journal (systemd has a btrfs-specific workaround in it for this problem).

zfs has similar design goals but none of btrfs' performance problems.

btrfs also has a nasty habit of suddenly running out of disk space despite claiming that you have plenty of disk space free. they might have fixed this recently idk.

also compression and encryption are better handled at the application layer, for the same reasons as in computer networking. to give one example, LZMA and H.264 are both types of "compression". which is appropriate depends on the application and the expected access patterns.

but lennart poettering has a huge boner for btrfs so he's going force people to use it anyway.

boohoo I have to write "chattr +C" on my folder filled with VM disk images, this filesystem is purebred poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

copy on write owns

those freespace mostly stemmed from btrfs using a background worker (btrfs-freespace) to count how much free space you had left, often not updating fast enough if you deleted/created large files when running low on space.

linux 4.5 introduced a new freespace tracking mechanism made by facebook, you can try it out with the mount option space_cache=v2

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

"biosdevname"? are you running ubuntu? that one shouldn't be necessary

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

very carefully

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

graph posted:

how the gently caress do i change the SDDM greeter to username and password field instead of badge and password field

the feature got commited to sddm like five days ago, good timing (if you use kde). plasma 5.7's sddm got options for username input.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364139

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 14, 2016

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

good news folks, the ability to type your username in instead of scrolling through a list of thousands of options was the last outstanding feature, so come july 5 linux will be ready for the desktop!

:cheerdoge:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm working on switching to i3wm which is great because I used to use xmonad but I lost my configs and I don't have time to figure all that poo poo out again.

but it means I'm on my own w/r/t all the gnome things I was depending on before, and it's dumb and sucks.

for instance, i am unironically having audio issues in linux in tyool 2016 on fedora, just because i switched window managers and used a gnome utility i use to run my DAC (lovely line out on my work laptop, i'm not an audio idiot). Now I've tried a bunch of things (pavucontrol, etc), and all of them identify the DAC, allow me to select it as an audio output, and then just merrily continue piping audio out of my speakers.

if I switch into gnome and toggle the output, and then switch back to i3, it works! until I unplug the DAC and then I have to reboot completely to get it to come back.

also i'm using the gnome network tool and it works great except for picking a VPN because for some loving reason the thing it pops up to input your VPN pin is some full screen overlay bullshit, which i3 clearly doesn't support because it freaks out if I try to use it.

I have used the vpnc in the past but it drops my connections all the time and if I try to SSH into any thing inside the VPN, it dies. I know there is a simple solution that involves configuring things but I don't want everything to work.

anyhow all of this stuff is easily solved but gently caress I just want to use the keyboard to arrange my windows, gently caress man

Try looking after an "Auto-mute mode Enable/Disable" in alsamixer, disable it, and then adjust speaker out afterwards

Edit: or enable it, whatever works

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 19, 2016

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Remember to choose your actual sound card and not the pulseaudio one with F6

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i just wonder if male shoegaze got the speakers working

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

trilljester posted:

2 days into using Fedora 24 in a VM. Have to say out of all of the other distros I tried (I even tried Gentoo, lol), this one is the most polished. I would even recommend it to my Mom, except she needs Windows for TurboTax.

turbotax might work with wine staging if you want to try :sureboat:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rolleyes:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Crossposting from the infosec thread:

Arch is so loving bad.

hahahahha

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

What? Like; everything works for Linux these days. Except for AMD video cards. NEVER get AMD video cards. I mean; they WORK, but not well, and the proprietary drivers suck rear end.

this isn't the case anymore, amd actually has good open sourced drivers for new cards now, and fglrx is a thing of the past (morphed into amdgpu-pro, which is a combination of open source and closed source)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

the official response to optimus by some kernel developer:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, linus is how peter pan plays out irl

eschaton posted:

if Linus weren't incompetent Nvidia wouldn't have any problems supporting Linux, because it would have a stable binary driver interface using non-GPL header files

but Linus doesn't really understand operating systems or kernels, he just sort of Kramered into managing one

gently caress you all you ignorant pieces of poo poo

i hope linus blocks out nvidia from the kernel completely until they start taking nouveau seriously

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

do they support VDPAU without being a giant hacky turd yet

If you have a UVD card: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index8h2 and use mesa

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

I generally follow vid card stuff but this is all incomprehensible nonsense

Scroll to https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index5h2 to see what the code names means, they're using the chipset family names instead of the marketing names

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a prefect snipe

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

b0red posted:

alias gently caress='sudo $(fc -ln -1)'

why would you make this alias instead of just writing "sudo !!"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BlueZ and Pulseaudio has surpassed windows in how neatly audio setups works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

this was the default behaviour until at least 2005 or so lol

it still is if you use alsa directly and not using alsa-state.service/alsa-restore.service (default on)