Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wikipedia had a chart of sun's support policies from back in the day so i'm gonna repost that here

you can definitely see when microsoft and red hat started offering long term support, because solaris 8 / 9 get crazy long lifecycles compared to their predecessors

Find one for Java, Oracle still support pretty much all versions at premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, if you want systemd conspiracy, why not try today's LKML? https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

They still think systemd is only developed by Poettering too it looks. Not much of a mention of Apple's launchd either.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

i know a couple of graybeards who still use csh, god only knows why.

I think csh had autocomplete first and is easier to get working than bash on Solaris. Also it's not ksh.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

and lol if its also signed on dependencies such that even the os vendor cant push a zlib security update across the board without getting the approval of each author that touches zlib

The article hints at security updates have to become n-fold updates for all the different major versions in use by applications. There is also finally acceptance that "security updates"-only sucks for users and vendors whom wish to push out new updates and are artificially held back. Thus an important part of the puzzle to come is how to fan-out of security patches to multiple versions.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Having a jump server key-only works wonders, then you can hide it behind .ssh/config and transparently hop into your servers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yet these people still don't want to use FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or DragonBSD.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

We use OpenBSD + OpenVPN for remote access to clients sites.

Just searching the company document share and it looks like we even have production systems written in Go on OpenBSD :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

syntaxrigger posted:

aren't their more apps for ubuntu tho?

It will be a combo of Ubuntu having more commercial supported apps and Debian having more F/OSS supported apps. Pretty unlucky to find something that works on one and not the other though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

solaris is poo poo, tcl/tk is poo poo, SunCC is double dog dare hypershit, working with all three every day is poo poo, kill me please

I received a bug report update yesterday that a Solaris 9 bug I logged about ELFCLASS32 was fixed :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

oh yeah, 3d is still NOT a thing really in VMs, is it

The money is probably in OSX for gamers investing in VMware and Parallels and Linux gains as a side effect.

As ooboontu desktops are 3D accelerated Parallels have done the absolute minimum to get it working, pretty much no other distribution or even Gnome 3 plain desktops work.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's the discrepancy between penny pinching on a MacBook's memory but willing to overpay for a bloated plastic Linux laptop.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Amazon tiny EC2 instances are cheaper on Windows than RHEL or SUSE, go figure.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

zram was merged into Linux as of 3.14, and apparently:

quote:

Google uses zram in Chrome OS and it is also available as an option for Android 4.4 devices.[7][8] Also, Lubuntu started using zram with version 13.10.[9] As of December 2012, Ubuntu considers to enable zram by default on computers with small amounts of RAM installed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jre posted:

No really, what ?

Yup, Amazon and Openstack majority VMs are running Ubuntu not RHEL. NYSE runs Ubuntu too, :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

how could there possibly be openstack statistics you dunce

Because there are openstack conferences and meetups, heaven forbid spaceman asked around who is using what. Canonical even have it on their site.

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/openstack

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

thanks for this canonical marketing bullshit moron

look at this, mirantis is #1 too!! crazy

https://www.mirantis.com/company/about-pure-play-openstack/

Mirantis uses Ubuntu :ssh:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It annoys Shaggars pretty well?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

it's a cargo-cult practice you'll see a lot in bad scripts. i guess some shell once had a bug where empty variables caused a syntax error even if you quoted them or something? in any case it's unnecessary in that instance and whoever wrote that did not understand why they were doing it any more than you did.

If the variable in question doesn't exist you will end up with a parsing error, adding quotes fixes it in modern bash but not older ones I think.

code:
$ if [ $MOO = "moo" ]; then echo moo; fi
-bash: [: =: unary operator expected

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I still receive updates on an Inkscape bug because after 8+ years or so, they still cannot save text properly in an SVG export.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/167335

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

sure lemme just go ahead and install 50 copies of all my framework dlls and patch them all separately

and let's have separate database servers that i have to back up separately for each of this thing too

let's just multiply all of my system administration by the number of applications i'm running and run every single version of every single flavour of linux for each of the precious snowflake ruby developers who wrote the poo poo i'm running

How is this a problem unless you a retard and admin things by hand?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

source you're quotes

Pretty much anyone who has to write a new service is going to groan over the poo poo-fest that is /etc/rc.d. Not even the Linux distributions have a nice well conformed set of scripts.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I like the supervisor qmail uses, that is very transparent in operation and clearly reliable but completely different to everything else.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the linux desktop: now inseparable from nodejs

re-implement systemd using nodejs!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

unix ipc is so poo poo that the only useful ipc primitive right now is technically part of the networking subsystem

At least there is a usable IPC unlike other platforms ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

worse is better

Gnome already tried that with CORBA and Orbit, you can't really beat that for being worse.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's why we have modern new redesigned offices with private spaces ala Google.

:lol: 79 pages, find your "personal harbour"

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 27, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

looks like hell

each "quadrant" has a different colour, each corner is a group meeting space, the centre is group-hug space, it is an over-designed mess; room numbers are not consecutive walking around the floor.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

nginx isnt on the centos repos period, you have to add the official nginx repo. and apache is poo poo never use it

It is in EPEL for what that is worth.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the web interface is the only halfway-reasonable way to configure cups

...which must be why they disabled it by default in the latest release. software usable by a normal human being, in my linux desktop!?

Interestingly it now actually yields a page response even when disabled,

quote:

Web Interface is Disabled

The web interface is currently disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cthulhoo posted:

:siren: :psyduck: :siren:

Luke Wolf, a KDE developer, argues that PC-BSD might become a serious desktop OS contender by year 2020, since Linux so far has failed to grasp any serious market share.

Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc all can run the same apps and UI so by definition one cannot really excel that far. Aside of critical missing pieces like running Microsoft Office well a lot of the problems come down to system integration and Linux always takes the lead due to more active development. Ironically BSD land will need a Systemd and pulse audio equivalent to improve their integration support.

If the existing user land integration worked the Unix desktop would have been completed 20+ years ago.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

also yeah networking is the one thing BSD does well, apparently the FreeBSD network stack kicks the poo poo out of the Linux one performance-wise, to the point where Facebook recently posted a job ad saying "yo we'll pay you beaucoup money if you can make this suck a lil less". Linus (or some core networking maintaner) has an ideological stance against TCP Offload Engines, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Then again, apparently TCP/IP via 127.0.0.1 is faster than UNIX domain sockets on Linux.

Neither of these is really true, BSD's better performance comes from monolithic mbufs where Linux split into separate headers and data buffers so that sendfile, splice, etc calls become scalable. All the super computer people use Linux and not BSD and constantly push driver tweaks.

Use a Solarflare card then it doesn't matter at all, completely skip the kernel for all TCP/IP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

I guess modern NICs have scatter/gather DMA so that headers and payload can be assembled separately without compromising zero-copy but I'm not aware of any shipping code successfully making use of this.

Majority of web servers do, the caveat is that each scatter buffer needs to be of a minimum size for actual gains. I cannot recall if it is 9 or 128KB, I know at least one of the server implementations (I think Cherokee) completely fucks this up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BobHoward posted:

would you get rid of silly wrappers if the linux driver api and abi were stable? no. would you get rid of massive user pain? yup.

AMD needs a lot more than a stable kernel ABI to make their drivers not poo poo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Hmm.

I'd heard ubuntu was bad, but I had never had it bite me in the rear end like this. I don't even see how they can use the same version number with a straight face.

Ubuntu changes are usually evident with the package having a ~ubuntux.y in the file name. The changes may come from Debian.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Updates cannot be applied to a live system safely. the traditional update is really stupid and dumb and bad and you can run into many race conditions (and do run into many race conditions) but most people put up with it. I can give specific examples if you want.

So we reboot, put your system in a special update mode, and then reboot again, and that's the only way to make it truly safe in the package manager land. Sandboxing apps will help with a lot of this so we can be more sure about OS updates.

So Fedora is explicitly catching up to Windows Update but poorly and with additional reboots? Can you update on shutdown yet?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

celeron 300a posted:

SERVER TALK

Let's talk about backups!

When will Open Source write something as good as Time Machine?

Who still uses Amanda? Has anyone actually ever used deja dup?

rsnapshot predates Time Machine I think and creates the same resultant file structure. So what is missing as usual is the UI.

I used Amanda with AFS, surprisingly not terrible. I like Unicode too much though so dumped AFS for the usual SMB/NFS combo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

It comes preloaded with tons of apps that have content from Wikipedia and WikiHow, for education, games and other things. There's plenty more coming with that plan ("offline internet"), but I can't talk about it quite yet.

Any peer-to-peer networking plans? A gigantic mesh network for example.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

3D supports still requires the closed source additions package and is still marked experimental. So props if it actually works.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#guestadd-3d

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've seen macro OpenXML files normally with the odd .xlsm extension that Google Docs seems to completely hate. I guess it is classic Microsoft coming up with all theses different retarded file types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive heard of a lot of oss people say qt is better than gtk, and as someone whos had to deal with qt before, jfc thats gotta be a loving low bar

It's in relation to portability, Gnome on Windows is a bit of a cesspool. I'm sure it isn't great on OS X either.